PDA

View Full Version : 14 Things You Didn't Know About Dawn.....

JonOfTheShred
15-Mar-2014, 03:15 PM
.....2004. Sorry, had to.

http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Dawn_of_the_Dead_IG_rev3-11.jpg

ProfessorChaos
15-Mar-2014, 07:32 PM
hard to believe it's been a decade since this came out. i saw it opening day, very early in the afternoon. our battalion had a 10-mile hike that morning and we were released for the weekend immediately after, around 11am. i went and saw this with three buddies in my company and we all thought it was pretty entertaining. the dvd was released while i was in iraq, i pre-ordered it and it was mailed to me while i was overseas.

even though it's a bit of a name-rape of the original, it's still decent film in my opinion. i really dig the poster (the one shown in fact #11)....so much so, in fact, that i think i will order one soon.

blind2d
16-Mar-2014, 04:50 AM
Most of these points can just be learned from watching the commentary on the DVD. So... pff, a little pointless, but hey, it's nice I guess. Where's that quote about them being fast from?

krisvds
16-Mar-2014, 03:33 PM
What the hell is this? "Speed and cunning ways were attributed to zombies in the newspaper columns that featured them originally."
What newspaper columns?

This film though. Upon release I could fool myself that if I approached it with the mindset that it was going to be nothing more than a fun albeit dumb action spectacle I could somehow enjoy it. To some extent I did. As years pass by and I revisit the film my distaste grows. It's a travesty of a zombie film that gets worse with repeat viewings. The emperor not only wears no clothes, he stinks as well. Shallow, empty, badly written, horribly acted and devoid of any suspense whatsoever.

Legion2213
17-Mar-2014, 07:21 PM
I enjoyed Dawn 04 and am not ashamed to say it. :)

Geordie9
17-Mar-2014, 09:49 PM
Although i already knew most of them facts as most zombie fans will i think the remake would have been a little bit better on the pallette had it not raped the name of the original

EvilNed
17-Mar-2014, 11:26 PM
How does the zombies running or walking affect the plot?

Publius
18-Mar-2014, 12:32 AM
Shows you what passes for "plot" these days.

krisvds
18-Mar-2014, 07:56 AM

Not the plot. The tension. The remake is so far removed from the original in tone and atmosphere the running zombies are, to me, the least of its problems. The film plays like an action movie with barely a sympathetic character in sight. It's not really a horror film if there's little suspense or dread involved. Just growling. And lots of running and roaring.

Neil
18-Mar-2014, 09:12 AM
The film plays like an action movie with barely a sympathetic character in sight. It's not really a horror film if there's little suspense or dread involved. Just growling. And lots of running and roaring.

+1

When the character don't seemingly even care about themselves, why are we suppose to care about them?

bassman
18-Mar-2014, 11:49 AM
#15: The sound of the "zombies" was lifted straight from Stephen Spielberg's Jurassic Park.

:p

wayzim
18-Mar-2014, 12:01 PM
I enjoyed Dawn 04 and am not ashamed to say it. :)

Ditto.

I did get most of these factoids off the DVD commentary, but none of the in-jokes felt particularly clever. And, regardless of how people felt about the rest of the movie, the first ten minutes rocked! That alone was almost worth the price of admission.

JonOfTheShred
19-Mar-2014, 02:36 PM
(Taken from another thread)

I actually still really enjoy Dawn '04 to this day. I think the whole first 15 minutes, shit hitting the fan part is great. The zombies are properly fucked up looking. There IS a lot of hopeless, dreadful atmosphere, in between the campy humor (which also reminded me of old school flicks.) Marcellus Wallace is a nice touch. Sure, the raptor shrieks are annoying, but at least there was effort and film-making talent put into this film. Even if I hated Dawn '04 I would never put it in the same category as WWZ. Dawn '04 had love put into it, people seemed like legitimate fans of the original and although you could say they were "cashing in" on the name recognition of Romero's original, you could tell everyone was having fun. The effort really shows if you can get past it's flaws.

MoonSylver
19-Mar-2014, 03:26 PM
Dawn '04 had love put into it, people seemed like legitimate fans of the original and although you could say they were "cashing in" on the name recognition of Romero's original, you could tell everyone was having fun. The effort really shows if you can get past it's flaws.

"Love" might be too strong a word...it had a lot of "like" put into it at best. ;)

Something like "The Walking Dead" has a lot of love in it. (And before the first nay sayer casts a stone, I have two words: Greg Nicotero. Rest my case.) (Not to turn this into a TWD vs D'04 debate).

I enjoyed D'04 in the theater, buyers remorse set in as soon as I had time to think about it for a second (as soon as I walked out of the theater), my enthusiasm had already cooled by the car ride home, & has remained thus since. It's ok-ish. A fast paced, but shallow, flashy actioner, w/ running zombies. That's about it.

JonOfTheShred
19-Mar-2014, 04:52 PM
"Love" might be too strong a word...it had a lot of "like" put into it at best. ;)

Something like "The Walking Dead" has a lot of love in it. (And before the first nay sayer casts a stone, I have two words: Greg Nicotero. Rest my case.) (Not to turn this into a TWD vs D'04 debate).

I enjoyed D'04 in the theater, buyers remorse set in as soon as I had time to think about it for a second (as soon as I walked out of the theater), my enthusiasm had already cooled by the car ride home, & has remained thus since. It's ok-ish. A fast paced, but shallow, flashy actioner, w/ running zombies. That's about it.

Well compare it to every other Romero remake that wasn't a Tom Savini film. Compare to Day of the Dead with Nick Cannon, I would say Zack Snyder treated Dawn pretty lovingly. ;) Also, bear in mind that post was taken out of context, as I was comparing Dawn '04 to World War Z. The punchline to the whole post was "World War Z is to Dawn '04 as Dawn '04 is to Dawn '78"

MoonSylver
20-Mar-2014, 12:23 AM
Well compare it to every other Romero remake that wasn't a Tom Savini film. Compare to Day of the Dead with Nick Cannon, I would say Zack Snyder treated Dawn pretty lovingly. ;) Also, bear in mind that post was taken out of context, as I was comparing Dawn '04 to World War Z. The punchline to the whole post was "World War Z is to Dawn '04 as Dawn '04 is to Dawn '78"

Fair enough I suppose. If the two "Day" rapemakes, or the Night "potfarmers vs. Morticians" epic, are your bar for level of affection, then ZS was Edward to D'04's Bella. :lol: I will say they at least put some level of effort into it & seem to have tried to produce a somewhat quality movie. Far, far, far more than any of those other stinkers. :)

AcesandEights
20-Mar-2014, 01:39 PM
Dawn '04...the gift that keep on giving to these forums :)

Also, I really enjoy it. I need to re-watch those DVD extras...I don't know who decided to produce and add them to the mix, but I greatly enjoyed them.

ProfessorChaos
20-Mar-2014, 09:20 PM
yeah, the dvd extra with the news footage and the anchor covering the epidemic is pretty good if you can get past the crap acting by some of the witnesses interviewed. i also enjoyed the footage from andy, the gun shop owner, detailing his last days.

was going to pop in the blu ray the other night for the 10th anniversary viewing, but got busy taking care of a few things and had to postpone it till this weekend. my new poster should be arriving sometime early next week.

MoonSylver
20-Mar-2014, 09:43 PM
Dawn '04...the gift that keep on giving to these forums :)

The topic that just...wouldn't die?

http://reachology.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/dr-evil-pinky-o.gif

http://gifrific.gifrific.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/boo-this-man.gif

:D