PDA

View Full Version : The Invisible War (documentary) - Sexual assault within the US military

Neil
20-Mar-2014, 04:05 PM
This documentary is getting good reviews - http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/09/invisible-war-review-kermode-kirby-dick?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

lbImcfXCNTQ

wayzim
21-Mar-2014, 03:59 PM
good reviews seems somewhat ironic given the subject matter.
Of course having been a military brat (from cradle to high school, 1959-1975. ) sexual harassment wounds my instinctive respect for the service(s) This is contrary to everything my dad taught me about being a man. And the fact that even now the top leaders are still utterly confused by commanders and instructors who rape? You shame the military? You dishonor the uniform and your rank? You behave as a criminal? Busted, dismissed, thrown into prison ... end of story. So much for the myth of a progressive military.

shootemindehead
21-Mar-2014, 04:22 PM
Having seen it, I can tell you that it's an excellent documentary and well worth your time.

AcesandEights
21-Mar-2014, 05:17 PM
I have often found the degree to which rape and a culture of institutional denial seems to have pervaded the modern military to be morbidly and horrifyingly fascinating. It's so grossly incomprehensible, that I don't think there can ever be enough said or reported about the topic.

Then again, I find several sociological aspects of the military fascinatingly scary. A friend of my wife's who is a musician recently had to attend boot camp, as he had been accepted as an adjunct member of a prestigious service band based out of DC. Here's a guy who is in his 30s and well educated with multiple degrees attending basic training with kids fresh out of high school, many of which joined due to a lack of perceived life options...some of the stories about the casual racism, misogyny and violence is understandable given the circumstances, but no less frightful to hear about.

shootemindehead
21-Mar-2014, 06:07 PM
What I came away with uppermost in my mind from that doc, was if rape is so endemic amongst comrades of a given military body, what the hell must it be like when these people are given an enemy to occupy.