PDA

View Full Version : wish u were here!!

DEAD BEAT
13-Jul-2006, 09:22 PM
i was watching my box set of dawn of the dead,and saw all of the old trailers!

i know most of us first saw dawn when it hit vhs or maybe even beta!
but is there anyone out there who maybe old enough who may have caught it on the big screen?:rockbrow:

Adrenochrome
13-Jul-2006, 09:29 PM
My dad took me to see it in the theater. It was one of the greatest theatrical experiences of my life. Mainly because you had a grown man and his son giggling, thinking and "eeewwwing".....man...it was great. He taught me what Night and Dawn was all about: It's not just about "zombies"....it's about humans........(and, it's NOT just about zombies)
He was the guy that MADE me sit down and watch Night of the Living Dead on TV one Saturday afternoon in '72-'74'ish; Double Feature Creature Feature (the second feature was War of The Gargatuas, a lovely Japanese monster flick). I will forever thank my father for introducing me to Night and taking me to see Dawn in the theater. Soon after the viewing, we got angry at each other and didn't talk for many many many years.
He died two years ago from cancer. We were able to say our goodbye's in peace.
If there's one thing I will always thank my father for, it's horror movies and knowledge of guns.....many many many guns.

William Thomas Martin, may he rest in peace....unless he gets up and eats people...then, may he feed.:D -- (as long as he doesn't eat me.)

MaximusIncredulous
13-Jul-2006, 10:19 PM

but is there anyone out there who maybe old enough who may have caught it on the big screen?:rockbrow:

Saw it back in '79 as a single run. Went to see it again when it was coupled up with Knightriders and then again, paired up with Creepshow. In that run it was trimmed down to an R-rating.

coma
13-Jul-2006, 10:30 PM
When I was 11 I saw Alien (Pretty sure it was alien) at a drive In and they had a trailer for Dawn of the Dead and the bit where the Zombies go after steven in the elevator scarred me for life :). I literallyl had nightmares for years about that. I saw NOTLD in like 1975 on TV and that blew my brins out, but not like that trailer. They showed dotd commerials on TV quite a bit. Eventually I saw DOTD in a theatre not too long after. I also saw it at midnight shows about 15 times. I saw the double featute wth Fri 13th wher they showed the Rated R edit that made ni sense.That cut was pulled quickly. After I saw DOTD when I was 11, my frind and I would play Dawn with our GI Joes (the 70s ones, not that 80s crap) and I wouldbe Roger and he would be Peter. Roger always lived.
I saw Dawn and Day at a mUseum OF TV and Radio in Queens, NY where GAR appered and talked a couple years ago.
in 1985 I saw Day on opening day on a wed. at 1pm. Me and my bud did acid around 10 and we were fried when we got to the theatre. theres was only like 5 people in the theatre, other than US. When Rhodes got eaten I thought my brain was going to short out.The Gore in that was so far beyond anthing before it , it was a revelation.
When I went to see dawn at midnight shows in the Mid 80s, me and my buds would get stupifyingly wasted on various things and loose our minds with a house full of the secret club of GAR freaks. IT was one of the coolest times in my life. MAybe the 80s weren't so bad after all.
The best part back then was there was nothing like it. Few imitations had any wide release. Though I did see Zombie and Gates of Hell in a theatre. Along with Star Wars original trilogyand Superman and also crap like MEssage from Space, the Black Hole and the Battlestar Galactica movie. ad all those 80s 3D movies like Spacehunter, JAws 3d, Comin at ya and Fri 13th 3D.

When I saw Miguelito bite his wifeon the Arm I saw God. Hooked for Life.

MinionZombie
13-Jul-2006, 10:40 PM
Well, here's my story:

I first heard about Dawn of the Dead from an article in SFX magazine (still have the magazine because of that one article), dating way back into 1997 when I was about 12 or 13. I was on a school trip and bought the magazine because I saw something on the cover about zombies and I wanted to know more (and I thought - "that sounds f*cking cool!").

So I read that article and was just aghast at the images they put in the mag from Dawn and just sat there going "I've gotta see this movie!". A few months later we tried to rent it out, but the only copy in the video shop was broken and hadn't been replaced! DAMN!

Roll on a while more and on my 15th birthday I got Dawn of the Dead (extended cut - although it was known as the Director's Cut here in the UK - it was the very reason for that 1997 article in SFX actually). That evening I sat down for the 2 hours and 20 minutes and watched my brand new VHS of the film for the first time. I didn't move for the duration and just sat there, slack jawed for the entire film. Once it ended, and the final "bong" resonated around my ears, I just sat there dumbfounded. It's been my favourite movie of all time ever since.

That was my birth into the world of Dawn of the Dead. :cool:

Skydog
13-Jul-2006, 11:53 PM
I first saw Dawn of the Dead while peeking between the front seats of my parents Ram Charger at a Drive-In in LA. I only caught glimpses through the first showing as I was supposed to be asleep. Later, after the second film was over, when it was shown a second time my father who had caught me watching at the end, let me watch the whole thing with him, despite my mom's reaction.

I was only eight but I remember thinking that Dawn of the Dead was better than Star Wars. Much like Adrenochrome I owe my father and that night with Dawn of the Dead, and later watching the Omega Man on TV with him for giving me my immense love of apocalyptic movies and fiction.

Adrenochrome
13-Jul-2006, 11:58 PM
I first saw Dawn of the Dead while peeking between the front seats of my parents Ram Charger at a Drive-In in LA. I only caught glimpses through the first showing as I was supposed to be asleep. Later, after the second film was over, when it was shown a second time my father who had caught me watching at the end, let me watch the whole thing with him, despite my mom's reaction.

I was only eight but I remember thinking that Dawn of the Dead was better than Star Wars. Much like Adrenochrome I owe my father and that night with Dawn of the Dead, and later watching the Omega Man on TV with him for giving me my immense love of apocalyptic movies and fiction.
Funk yeah!

my FAVORITE scene!!!
This dude made me want to be a black man!!!!
or,....at least a Peter...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Tomar/PDVD_019.jpg

MapMan
14-Jul-2006, 12:23 AM
I saw Dawn in 78 at the midnight movies. It was my first midnight movie which added to the moment. I went with my best friend Chris Hobgood and his dad. We ended up seeing it at least 28 times.

My friend Chris was murdered.

We had watched Dawn 78 again just before he was killed. The movie will always have a special place in my heart.

Danny
14-Jul-2006, 04:28 AM
back when i was like 6 my grandad took me and my brother to wales for a weekend with him and me 'nan and at the campsite my grandma was indise because she ahd an intense fear of the fireworks exploding oevrhead so my grandad takes em and my brother to this outside cinema AKA - a sheet and a projector and we sat on a sloping hill.

we saw

1:jurassic park
2:day of the dead
3:the shining
4:the howling

i loved jurassic park as it and the shining id seen before and loved em ,even at as young as about 4 id never seen day before, it didnt scare me but it put me off my food and if a film puts a spoiled little kid off his happy meal you know its gross.:elol:

then i saw the howling and couldnt sleep for 3 days.:dead:

AcesandEights
14-Jul-2006, 05:16 AM
so my grandad takes em and my brother to this outside cinema AKA - a sheet and a projector and we sat on a sloping hill.

we saw

1:jurassic park
2:day of the dead
3:the shining
4:the howling

THAT sounds like an awesome time. I introduced a bunch of my buddies to the original Dawn (as well as Dog Soldiers, Dawn 04 and a few other choice flicks) up at the Daks (short for Adirondak Mts in upstate NY) in a cabin on a lake in the middle of nowhere. An awesome place for seeing horror films!

Guru ofthe Dead
14-Jul-2006, 06:41 AM
This blows I was only six when it came out. Plus I lived in an area of the bible belt and they think that horror films are the "DEBIL!!!!!!" So it was around 1985 when I first saw it on VHS. Since then I can't get enough of it.

Bunker65
14-Jul-2006, 12:07 PM
I was 13 & saw the first showing in NYC at midnight in 1978 when it was released. I went with my sister's boyfriend.

What I remember most is getting out of the theatre after 2 in the morning & having to take the subway home. Back then the homeless used to live in the subway tunnels & while I was waiting on the platform for my train I saw homeless people "shambling" out of the tunnels. They looked just like the zombies I had just seen in the movie :eek:. Scared the living daylights out of me :D.

Adrenochrome
14-Jul-2006, 12:11 PM
I was 13 & saw the first showing in NYC at midnight in 1978 when it was released. I went with my sister's boyfriend.

What I remember most is getting out of the theatre after 2 in the morning & having to take the subway home. Back then the homeless used to live in the subway tunnels & while I was waiting on the platform for my train I saw homeless people "shambling" out of the tunnels. They looked just like the zombies I had just seen in the movie :eek:. Scared the living daylights out of me :D.
NICE!!!.....great visuals of the homeless shamblers....that's a wonderful memory of seeing this flick!:D

Bunker65
14-Jul-2006, 12:14 PM
NICE!!!.....great visuals of the homeless shamblers....that's a wonderful memory of seeing this flick!:D

It's an amazing memory :). I mean it's still with me to this day & I'm sure it will be with me till the day I'm worm food :skull:.

bassman
14-Jul-2006, 12:26 PM
Never got to see the original trilogy in theater.

I didn't see "Dawn" or "Day" until I was about 16 or so. EVERYONE has seen "Night".....whether they know it or not.:p You can't turn your TV on around Halloween and not find "Night" being played repeatedly...

My brother worked at a Blockbuster when I was in high school and one day he came home with this video that he "found" in the store. It was "Day of the Dead". At first, my response was "this looks cheesy. I mean...look at the cover. It's a crappy eighties film." Boy oh boy was I wrong. After the opening with Dr. Tongue, by eyes didn't move or blink the entire film.

Shortly after, I discovered that there were three of these films and I started investigating. Then I finally saw "Dawn" and I couldn't have been more happy. That was around the time that I found this place, too.

So no, I didn't see "Dawn" or any of the original three on the silver screen. Just "Land". And that was a great experience.....I can't imagine how great it would've been to see the originals.

coma
14-Jul-2006, 02:11 PM
I can't imagine how great it would've been to see the originals.

Yeah, it was cool. The actual waiting inbetween was lame. waiting 6 years between dawn and day, but then again, Day was a vague rumor.
Night was really cool on the big screen.saw it a couple of years ago

Debbieangel
15-Jul-2006, 02:52 AM

Yes, I am old enough I saw Dawn at the drive in theater!!! All I can say is WOWWWW scared the begeebers out of me..gave me the willies all night long besides my hubby trying to scare me with old line " Their coming to get you Barbara" from Night .lol Now that was after I was married with alittle baby and I wanted to see soo bad we took the baby with us to the drive in. Now NOTLD I was 10 or 11 years old and I also saw it at the drive in!! In the words for both movies you younger say "AWESOME"!

kortick
16-Jul-2006, 06:31 PM
yeah i saw it when it first came out

showcase cinema in seekonk mass

the movie was so popular they held it over for like 5 weeks

the movie was big even then
it wasnt a sleeper
everybody i knew went to see it more
than once

it was great on the big screen
i also saw day on the big screen
same theatre many years apart of course