PDA

View Full Version : Atari's E.T. game - Millions of copies in landfill

Neil
29-Apr-2014, 08:23 AM
There's been a lot of talk recently about this topic. So Atari rushed through their E.T. game back in the 80's, and strangely - with only 5 weeks development time - it was appalling. Atari were left with millions of cartridges so rumour was they dumped them in a landfill.

Seems the rumours were true :) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27187609

_Bn192kSsMw

ProfessorChaos
29-Apr-2014, 12:10 PM
i remember playing this game at a friend's house at a very young age and remember him warning me how bad it sucked but i still wanted to play it....and it was very frustrating and a waste of time.

the movie was on tv a couple times this weekend, and thankfully it was the unaltered version.

Neil
29-Apr-2014, 12:21 PM
the movie was on tv a couple times this weekend, and thankfully it was the unaltered version.

Oh, so Spielberg hasn't pulled a Lucas and destroyed all the (better) original versions/copies then?

On this subject I do hope now Disney have the reins rather than Lucas on the Star Wars franchise we'll get the originals or special editions on bluray. ie: Not the totally f***ed version we can only get now!

MoonSylver
29-Apr-2014, 03:48 PM
I'd heard the story of the Lost Atari Graveyard for years...never knew that it was considered a "rumor", I always knew it to be "true". Interesting the resting place has been found. :|

Rancid Carcass
29-Apr-2014, 03:55 PM
Quick! Get it on Steam Early Access! :D

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2014, 05:11 PM
I owned this game for my atari 2600 back in the day and I can tell you they couldn't have buried those copies deep enough.