PDA

View Full Version : Disney confirms three spin off Star Wars movies

Neil
07-May-2014, 08:52 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Disney-Confirms-There-Three-Star-Wars-Spin-Off-Films-Works-42900.html

The plan is to have each of these movies come our in the years when we don't see a new episode of the main saga. Because Star Wars: Episode VII is coming out in December 2015, that means that the first "other" movie is being planned for 2016. Provided all goes according to plan, we would presumably then see Star Wars: Episode VIII in 2017, the second "other" movie in 2018, Star Wars: Episode IX in 2019, and the third "other" movie in 2020.

Guess the big question is, what will these three spin offs be. God I hope not Yoda! Lucas ruined him in the prequels :duh:

krisvds
07-May-2014, 11:04 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Disney-Confirms-There-Three-Star-Wars-Spin-Off-Films-Works-42900.html

Guess the big question is, what will these three spin offs be. God I hope not Yoda! Lucas ruined him in the prequels :duh:

My first thought was Pixar Yoda.
;)

MoonSylver
07-May-2014, 04:02 PM

How so? I thought they did a fine job with him in #2 & 3 (he did look a little wonky in #1)

His fight scenes? Pure awesome IMO.

You're an odd fellow sometimes Neil...:poke:

As for who: I'd think Boba Fett is a pretty safe bet for a stand alone movie. Young Han Solo could be another. A third....?

Neil
07-May-2014, 07:03 PM
How so? I thought they did a fine job with him in #2 & 3 (he did look a little wonky in #1)

His fight scenes? Pure awesome IMO.

You're an odd fellow sometimes Neil...:poke:

As for who: I'd think Boba Fett is a pretty safe bet for a stand alone movie. Young Han Solo could be another. A third....?

Sorry, but when the fights scene(s) kicked off, there was loud belly sniggers breaking out in my cinema at just how it looked.

I didn't laugh out loud, but inside I was.

EvilNed
07-May-2014, 11:06 PM

Darth Maul seems pretty given to me. But yeah, definetly Boba.

rongravy
07-May-2014, 11:44 PM
I didn't even think of Maul!
And the guy who played him could still easily pull it off, unless they wanted to go with a new guy. I'd be down to see it, but I thought/heard it was Han, Yoda, and Boba.

Neil
08-May-2014, 08:30 AM
I didn't even think of Maul!
And the guy who played him could still easily pull it off, unless they wanted to go with a new guy. I'd be down to see it, but I thought/heard it was Han, Yoda, and Boba.

Question is, for a Han stand alone film, would we have 80yr old Han (present) or a young Han in a prequel? If a prequel who would play him?

shootemindehead
08-May-2014, 11:04 AM
Boba Fett was ruined in the prequels too.

But, if there was a spin off, he'd be wrecked further and probably made into a good guy. Fett is a baddie, but no Star Wars film will have such a character at its centre.

Neil
08-May-2014, 12:07 PM

But, if there was a spin off, he'd be wrecked further and probably made into a good guy. Fett is a baddie, but no Star Wars film will have such a character at its centre.

Unless he's good and slowly twisted to the character we know? Could be an interesting ride!

bassman
08-May-2014, 12:32 PM

Granted, It's been quite a while since I've watched the prequels, but I remember Boba only being in Episode 2 for a few minutes as a child? Then his father Jango(?) Fett is killed and he picks up the helmet and that's it for Boba?

As for the spin offs, I imagined they'd have maybe one or two movies based on characters from the original movies and maybe then start spin offs with the new characters? Disney has a decent formula with their Marvel films, so they'll probably just try replicating that.

shootemindehead
08-May-2014, 01:30 PM
The prequels don't exist for me any more Bassy. They just don't make any sense and I've given up trying to make excuses for them.

Had an interesting discussion with a load'o'nerds recently and we all came to the conclusion that they're silly as cannon entries alone, never mind anything else. In Star Wars, it was as if the force and the Jedi were old, ancient, entities. A "hokey religion" as Han Solo called it, with "simple tricks and nonsense".

But, the force and the Jedi were a strong, vibrant, existing matter of fact up to the end of 'Revenge of the Sith', which is less than 20 years before the events of Star Wars. By which time, everybody has forgotten about it.

Ridiculous.

If the mouse makes a good go of these new pictures, and I'm not holding my breath, then we'll finally have the extended series we all want and everyone can consign those terrible prequels to the memory hole. But, TBH, if all they did was simply release blu rays of the original trilogy, I'd be happy enough.

bassman
08-May-2014, 01:36 PM
The prequels don't exist for me any more Bassy. They just don't make any sense and I've given up trying to make excuses for them.

Yeah, I don't really consider them part of the same series at all. I do my best to just give them the benefit of the doubt and say they're entertaining cartoon/toy advertisements for kids of the new generation. For fans of the original trilogy? They're basically garbage.

Originally it was a bit thrilling to see episode 3 just to see the creation of Vader, but after seeing it I have no desire to try it again. The prequels went a long way to proving my long standing theory that Lucas is a hack that only got lucky with the original film. Now that he's out, perhaps there's a chance for the new films.

AcesandEights
08-May-2014, 01:49 PM
Question is, for a Han stand alone film, would we have 80yr old Han (present) or a young Han in a prequel? If a prequel who would play him?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/Unknown_zps10921777.jpeg

:dead:

Neil
08-May-2014, 01:55 PM
^^ They wouldn't do that... Would they? :eek:

AcesandEights
08-May-2014, 02:11 PM
^^ They wouldn't do that... Would they? :eek:

I doubt it. Thankfully there has been a lot of lesser known actors cast for the young parts in the new films (sort of a return to form for the franchise), so you'd hope they would stick with going for talent over big-names if they had to do a major recast. At least, I'd hope they'd pick up on the pitfalls of casting an actor with a ton of recognizable former roles and the baggage that entails for some fans.

shootemindehead
09-May-2014, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I don't really consider them part of the same series at all. I do my best to just give them the benefit of the doubt and say they're entertaining cartoon/toy advertisements for kids of the new generation. For fans of the original trilogy? They're basically garbage.

Originally it was a bit thrilling to see episode 3 just to see the creation of Vader, but after seeing it I have no desire to try it again. The prequels went a long way to proving my long standing theory that Lucas is a hack that only got lucky with the original film. Now that he's out, perhaps there's a chance for the new films.

One could be forgiven in thinking that Lucas had some serious chops in the 70's though. 'THX-1138', 'American Graffiti' and, of course, 'Star Wars' were more than just luck and are excellent films in their own right.

But, certainly, he eventually proved himself to be a better producer in a collaboration than he was as a director, or an auteur figure.

In any case, Lucas' downfall has been a truly spectacular one. From the hero of millions worldwide to the destroyer of childhood. Incredible.

As for the Disney productions, I cannot see them equaling the original films at the moment. J.J Abrams at the helm doesn't fill me with that much glee as his director (or even overall) credits aren't that hot and these sequels could end up simply being silly, by-the-numbers, blockbuster material without any real balls.

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus...I need a drink...

rongravy
09-May-2014, 10:24 PM
It would definitely have to be a prequel, and I have no idea who could pull off Han like Harrison Ford. I would say go with an unknown instead of trying to jam the next Tom Hardy, Sam Worthington, or whoever the newest flavor of schmexy bare knuckled/chested action hero is...

I have the complete boxed set, and have only watched the prequels for the commentaries, and pretty much fell asleep. Why can't they all just have been a bad dream?!?:barf:

Your sacrilegious testicles should be slammed in a sliding glass door for that. Ok, maybe not that bad, but still...:elol: