PDA

View Full Version : Gareth Edwards set to direct Star Wars spin-off

Neil
23-May-2014, 09:05 AM
Oh dear! This doesn't fill me with hope. His current film Godzilla, while visually astounding, for most of its duration the humans in it (and therefore the story) fall pretty flat (IMHO) :(

Maybe we can blame the script, and if the script for this spin-off is strong he can deliver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27533605

shootemindehead
23-May-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeh.

Much like Jar Jar Abrams, there isn't anything in his past repertoire that fills me with much hope that he's the man for the job.

Neil
23-May-2014, 01:32 PM
Yeh.

Much like Jar Jar Abrams, there isn't anything in his past repertoire that fills me with much hope that he's the man for the job.

Monsters at least had a certain "vibe" to it... but he just did the effects for that didn't he?

shootemindehead
23-May-2014, 03:10 PM
I think he just about everything for 'Monsters'.

Director, Writer, Effects, Tea lady

'Monsters' was ok, but a bit meh.

krisvds
23-May-2014, 03:22 PM
I think he just about everything for 'Monsters'.

Director, Writer, Effects, Tea lady

'Monsters' was ok, but a bit meh.

Agreed. Applies to Godzilla as well. A poor man's Spielberg if you will. With each passing year and new monster film Jaws grows more and more important. I fear we'll never see such a marriage of pulpy genre fun and engaging humanity again.
Sigh.

MoonSylver
23-May-2014, 04:54 PM
:|

I enjoyed Godzilla, but it wasn't a perfect film. Haven't seen Monsters. This is a bit premature IMO. Just because a guy hits a home run with one at bat doesn't make him Babe Ruth.

krisvds
24-May-2014, 05:20 AM
Oh, but I had fun with Godzilla too. But the human element was a bit clumsy. He wanted to do a 'Spielberg' so hard (Jaws) but obviously lacked the script, talent, whatever?
Still, a fun little popcorn film, just not the triumphant return of Godzilla it could have been.

The Star Wars spin-offs? I fear overkill.