PDA

View Full Version : Jesus, Mary and Joseph....the HEAT!!!!

Adrenochrome
14-Jul-2006, 11:31 AM
this weekend (and Monday of next week) the Kansas City area will be reaching close to 100f (37.77777777777778 Celsius) with the heat index of about a bazzionlion!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I was out in it yesterday and could hardly breathe.
It stormed it's ass off here last night so the humidity today will probably kill us all.
Wish me luck fellas and ladies.

bassman
14-Jul-2006, 12:32 PM
Yeah, it's about 95-98f around here. I had to work in the yard for my grandma yesterday.....oh man. That wasn't pleasant. I thought I was going to dehydrate I was sweating so bad. It was ridiculously hot.

Luckily when I got home, my buddy was going swimming at his folks and I tagged along. That's one thing the heat CAN be good for.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jul-2006, 12:42 PM
This morning in Wash DC the humidity was at 77% which is fricking brutal. The Temp was already 78 Degrees F, and we are expected to reach 96 today with a heat index of 103.

Not for nothing, but when I was younger I don't remember summers being this hot or humid... WTF?

zombiegirl
14-Jul-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm right here in it with you. Yesterday was a blazer but Monday is truly gonna suck. I'm not going outside for any reason Monday. :D Caus It'll feel like I'm on :mad: FIRE. (not mad)

Bunker65
14-Jul-2006, 01:08 PM
I just saw the forecast for Sunday here in NY & it's not gonna be a great day for golfing :eek:. I'll grin & bear it though :D. Just have to make sure I have the sunblock & lot's of Gatoraide with me.

LoSTBoY
14-Jul-2006, 01:16 PM
In Central Bonny Scotland it's roasting like a Mo'fo!

Just stepped out for 5 minuites and I think I have sunburn, heatstroke and sun blindness. :confused:

erisi236
14-Jul-2006, 03:52 PM
well, it is the middle of July, what do you expect? :D

in a strange note, since like forever I've lived in coastal cities (Boston, Tampa, Wilmington) and the sea breaze always keeps the temp at least 5 degrees below every where else, it's great :cool:

Tullaryx
14-Jul-2006, 03:54 PM
Its a freaking sign man! The heat is due to Satan opening up the gates to hell and releasing all the dead he can't hold anymore. There's no more room in hell!

MaximusIncredulous
14-Jul-2006, 04:38 PM
Its a freaking sign man! The heat is due to Satan opening up the gates to hell and releasing all the dead he can't hold anymore. There's no more room in hell!

Well dammit, can't he tune the humidity down a bit? Dry hell heat is fine but this tropical crap, dammit!

p2501
14-Jul-2006, 04:39 PM
this weekend (and Monday of next week) the Kansas City area will be reaching close to 100f (37.77777777777778 Celsius) with the heat index of about a bazzionlion!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I was out in it yesterday and could hardly breathe.
It stormed it's ass off here last night so the humidity today will probably kill us all.
Wish me luck fellas and ladies.

i haven't been outside this afternnon, so that jebus for climate control.

i'm told it's going to be right at 100 degrees monday and tuesday. who knows where the heat index will be.

HLS
14-Jul-2006, 05:23 PM
The hottest I have seen here in Kansas City was 115 degrees on a fourth of July weekend back in 89 I think. it may have been just the heat index. I remember my first day in Kansas back in 1988 it was 107 exact. I can never get used to the heat here. it is insane!

Zombie-A-GoGo
14-Jul-2006, 05:23 PM
Hey, you should go see An Inconvenient Truth. :eek:

p2501
14-Jul-2006, 05:46 PM
Hey, you should go see An Inconvenient Truth. :eek:

why i already know al gore is a fraking asshat, and that the planet is still emerging from an ice age.

Tullaryx
14-Jul-2006, 06:05 PM
why i already know al gore is a fraking asshat, and that the planet is still emerging from an ice age.

But he invented the internet so what he's saying in his movie must mean its important and an inconvenient truth.

coma
14-Jul-2006, 06:15 PM
Actually He said he helped fund the inverntors of the internet and was instrumental in it's creation.
And that's an absolute fact.
The misquote is absolute smear propaganda.

"why i already know al gore is a fraking asshat, and that the planet is still emerging from an ice age."
You and 2 "scientists" who work for Exxon believe global warming doesn't exist. Whether Al Gore Is an "asshat" or not isn't exaclty relevant to a scientificly verified fact, while global warning..
SHOCKER!
is(releveant and verified). Can you subjecy Gore's asshateyness to the scientific method?

C'mon!
Sheesh

p2501
14-Jul-2006, 06:16 PM
But he invented the internet so what he's saying in his movie must mean its important and an inconvenient truth.

that's both true and not. Gore said he did something inaine with computers, but it wasn't "invent the internet". i'll have to dig up with direct quote.

either or he's an asshat, campaigning on bad science for sake of some BS end.

Actually He said he helped fund the inverntors of the internet and was instrumental in it's creation.
And that's an absolute fact.
The misquote is absolute smear propaganda.

"why i already know al gore is a fraking asshat, and that the planet is still emerging from an ice age."
You and 2 "scientists" who work for Exxon believe that.

C'mon!
Sheesh

thanks for the quote, i was looking for that.

yep me, two scientists from exxon, a friend that teaches at Yale, and anyone else taht can understand prehistoic geology.

sorry. but in the 60s everyone was on about global cooling. now it's reversed. the fact of the matter is our climate is heating up because we are in fact still emerging from the previous iceage. green houses gasses my in fact be contributing to this condition. but they are not the root cause, nor are they going to kill us all.

in the short term all that's going to happen is beach errosion, increased tropical storms, and more thawing in Canada and northern russia.

But in 200-300 years northern canada and russia/china will have some of the best farm land on the planet.

doomsday indeed.

mista_mo
14-Jul-2006, 07:01 PM
it's about 30 degrees celcius right now...hell, yesterday it was 30 out with 96% humidity...and people say that Canada is just a frozen wasteland...

Graebel
14-Jul-2006, 07:38 PM
This morning in Wash DC the humidity was at 77% which is fricking brutal. The Temp was already 78 Degrees F, and we are expected to reach 96 today with a heat index of 103.

Not for nothing, but when I was younger I don't remember summers being this hot or humid... WTF?

DJ - I hear you. College Park was roasting....and I have a black car. At least I passed on the leather interior. There's nothing quite like summer heat, leather seats and shorts. :eek:

Zombie-A-GoGo
14-Jul-2006, 07:42 PM
I just wanted to step in here again and say "ha...hahahaha..."

Thanks for the laugh. ;)

AcesandEights
14-Jul-2006, 07:53 PM
It wouldn't be Summer without some heat & humidity. Crank up those ACs and pop in some DVDs. If you're going to work in an office, you may have to resort to the unthinkable...SHORT SLEAVE DRESS SHIRTS!!!

Yes, short sleave dress shirts, the garment of choice for refrigerator salesmen everywhere. I, myself, will never be that desperate, but some of you may have a lower tolerance for heat and less self respect than I do :p

coma
14-Jul-2006, 08:00 PM
thanks for the quote, i was looking for that.

in the short term all that's going to happen is beach errosion, increased tropical storms, and more thawing in Canada and northern russia.

You dissed me, but it made me laugh. So that's cool.
For the record I didn't vote for Gore. I wanted to smack him and his harpie wife.

All that erosion is still pretty bad. And your right about changing theories. I have heard evidence from many sources that seemed compelling to me, andI am convinced for the time being that Global Warming is occuring. How immediately dire, I don't know. And your Yale friend is obviously more qualified than me,so who knows. and looking at my post, it seems (though it wasn't my intention) to be a bit rude. So excuse me.

Her's the Gore quote
Gore never claimed that he "invented" the Internet, which implies that he engineered the technology. The invention occurred in the seventies and allowed scientists in the Defense Department to communicate with each other. In a March 1999 interview with Wolf Blitzer, Gore said, "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

(thats it's so removed from "invented the internet" I refered to it as smear propoganda. Like him or not, it's a purposeful distortion)
Some More Info...
But the real question is what, if anything, did Gore actually do to create the modern Internet? According to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as Senator."

The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is today."

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University, claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the importance of networking the country. Could we perhaps see an end to cheap shots from politicians and pundits about inventing the Internet?"

Here is the link with a full article and explanation
http://www.perkel.com/politics/gore/internet.htm

p2501
15-Jul-2006, 02:19 AM
NO worries all around.

in all fairness the arguement over global warming is a dick measuring contest between peopel that want grant funding. GW is an easy way to score a few hundred thousand bucks to run a "study" on GW in order to "project" it's trend.

in laymans terms you reiterate the same BS someone else published. it's why so much of the same inconsiquential data is recycled. and frankly the fact most of it only goes back maybe 1,000 years makes it all the more suspect.

yes the planet is heating up. but no were not all going to die.

MikePizzoff
15-Jul-2006, 10:54 AM
I just got back from tour a couple of weeks ago and we were in some damn hot spots around the country. I love the summer and the heat but New Orleans was pretty close to unbearable. We were there for three days and all three days it was 94 degrees with 100% humidity and not a cloud in the sky. Holy crap, you could cut the air with a knife.

coma
15-Jul-2006, 03:29 PM
I just got back from tour a couple of weeks ago.
Tour for what? You're in a band I guess. Details please! Curious.

And its hot as hell here. Ugh

Eyebiter
16-Jul-2006, 09:23 AM
Worst drought here in decades. Water level in some of our lakes is 35 feet below normal.

Adrenochrome
16-Jul-2006, 07:09 PM
Worst drought here in decades. Water level in some of our lakes is 35 feet below normal.
I was on the NOAA site earlier checking out this heat wave - it stretches from you down to Texas; I'm right in the middle ----- as I type, it's 96 degrees f at 2:06 pm - climbing toward that 100!!! going to get hotter as we near Thursday.
Some reports are claiming it's the hottest this summer than has been for many many moons.

Neil
16-Jul-2006, 08:44 PM
The biggest storms, the most storms, the most floods, the worst floods, the hottest summers.... There's a pattern...

OddDNA
16-Jul-2006, 09:57 PM
The biggest storms, the most storms, the most floods, the worst floods, the hottest summers.... There's a pattern...

Ok, Al Gore.

Danny
16-Jul-2006, 10:11 PM
Ok, Al Gore.

another al gore post?, was manbearpig on today or somethin'?

Eyebiter
17-Jul-2006, 04:39 AM
One town in the state hit 120 degrees this weekend. It's a new record high temp for this region.

Neil
17-Jul-2006, 09:15 AM
Ok, Al Gore.

Do you not agree that we are seeing frequent record breaking weather? Undoubtably we are...
(See the post immediately previous to this for example)

MikePizzoff
17-Jul-2006, 01:08 PM
Tour for what? You're in a band I guess. Details please! Curious.

And its hot as hell here. Ugh

Yes, I am in a band.

Today it's going to be 100 here in Philly. Heat index of 108. It's 9:06 AM right now and it's already 80 degrees. I'm not complaining, though... I really do love this weather.

I agree. It's a shame most people won't open their eyes. I know some choose to be ignorant, but I don't understand why. Ignorance won't be bliss once **** gets real bad.

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 01:13 PM
Ok, Al Gore.

no, not really. Neil actually has a point.

Do you not agree that we are seeing frequent record breaking weather? Undoubtably we are...
(See the post immediately previous to this for example)

yes and no. again it's record breaking to us. but since we've only really been (accurately) recording weather for say the past 200 years. the fact it's "record breaking" isn't all that impressive.

but yes, your totally correct in that their has been in increase in ambient temperatures. which in turn creates stronger storms. as for their destructive capacity. i blame this on two things, 1) the news looking for doom and gloom to report. 2) large populations living in low land or beach front areas.

Adrenochrome
17-Jul-2006, 01:48 PM
yes and no. again it's record breaking to us. but since we've only really been (accurately) recording weather for say the past 200 years. the fact it's "record breaking" isn't all that impressive.

but yes, your totally correct in that their has been in increase in ambient temperatures. which in turn creates stronger storms. as for their destructive capacity. i blame this on two things, 1) the news looking for doom and gloom to report. 2) large populations living in low land or beach front areas.
exactley...this could repeat itself every 200 years.....I'm not betting on it tho.

dmbfanintn
17-Jul-2006, 01:58 PM
Could we perhaps see an end to cheap shots from politicians and pundits about inventing the Internet?"

As long as Rethuglicans abound, NOPE!!!!!

They have a distinct ability to only see the crap they believe, true or not!

Neil
17-Jul-2006, 02:29 PM
exactley...this could repeat itself every 200 years.....I'm not betting on it tho.

Quite possibly... and hopefully...

But if it's linked to our co2 emissions etc then we're f***ed... Humanity simply won't get itself in gear until the last moment (and quite possibly not until after then!) - Until absolutely conclusive evidence starts knocking at peoples doors - in the shape of food and water shortages etc - people will not be willing to reduce their power consumption or sacrifice their mod-cons :dead:

My greatest fear is my young one(s) are here to witness the biggest disaster in human history... Power cuts, water shortages, mass starvation... Entire areas of population on the move...

Adrenochrome
17-Jul-2006, 02:32 PM
Quite possibly... and hopefully...

But if it's linked to our co2 emissions etc then we're f***ed... Humanity simply won't get itself in gear until the last moment (and quite possibly not until after then!) - Until absolutely conclusive evidence starts knocking at peoples doors - in the shape of food and water shortages etc - people will not be willing to reduce their power consumption or sacrifice their mod-cons :dead:

My greatest fear is my young one(s) are here to witness the biggest disaster in human history... Power cuts, water shortages, mass starvation... Entire areas of population on the move...
I had a "vision" yesterday.......in the future, you'll get in your car, start the engine AND the oxygen tanks.

Cykotic
17-Jul-2006, 02:37 PM
I feel like I'm melting!! The Air-conditioning at work has failed, and I try to find some shade but it is hot even in the shade!!! Damn Global Warming!!!

Neil
17-Jul-2006, 03:13 PM
I had a "vision" yesterday.......in the future, you'll get in your car, start the engine AND the oxygen tanks.

Already here... (sort of)

If it was for sale here in the UK, in a usable form I'd buy one... I do 5 miles to and from work each day, and a couple of little trips every now and then. My partner has a larger car so I don't need much of a vehicle myself.

http://www.theaircar.com/

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 03:58 PM

i think more so, we're finishing out the iceage. this will go on for anther 100-300 years, then it'll start to slowly cool again.

Already here... (sort of)

If it was for sale here in the UK, in a usable form I'd buy one... I do 5 miles to and from work each day, and a couple of little trips every now and then. My partner has a larger car so I don't need much of a vehicle myself.

http://www.theaircar.com/

interesting. i fiure the hybrids will take an ethanol/electric combo within the next 5-7 years. the two techs compliment one another. and are consumer freindly enough that the (non-us) auto makers, won't apss up a chance to mass produce them.

as for the US automakers. they're ****ed, and that's a good thing.

LoSTBoY
17-Jul-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, this shows how hot it is in Scotland, my computer overheated and shut itself down.

That has never happened to me before.

It didn't help that I haven't cleaned it in awhile. :shifty: I had to take it outside to blow out all the dust.

Still, I'm sitting here topless, with the window open, sweating like a priest at choir practice.

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 05:21 PM
Well, this shows how hot it is in Scotland, my computer overheated and shut itself down.

That has never happened to me before.

It didn't help that I haven't cleaned it in awhile. :shifty: I had to take it outside to blow out all the dust.

Still, I'm sitting here topless, with the window open, sweating like a priest at choir practice.

canned air, it's your friend.

and thanks for the visual.

Neil
17-Jul-2006, 05:50 PM
i think more so, we're finishing out the iceage. this will go on for anther 100-300 years, then it'll start to slowly cool again.

Ummm... This sounds a little unresearched... So it's 18000 since the end of the last age, and not only do you suggest this is the reason for out current temperature rise, but also predict the end of this cycle?

Don't forget temperature increases seem to be increasing... ie: We're not coming to a peak, but are possibly at the bottom of an increasing slope?

Note: This is some interesting reading though http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/global_warming.html

AcesandEights
17-Jul-2006, 06:06 PM
I also thought the specificity of a 100-300 year timeframe a bit odd, considering that we're talking about epochs here, but I agree we're still coming out of an ice age. No matter what the cause, though, the uptick in heat seems to be pretty dramatic, and will have consequences that need to be considered, planned for and dealt with--not ignored or swept under the rug because it's an inconvenient truth. WAIT! I mean, because it's a disadvantageous fact :D

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 06:09 PM
Ummm... This sounds a little unresearched... So it's 18000 since the end of the last age, and not only do you suggest this is the reason for out current temperature rise, but also predict the end of this cycle?

Don't forget temperature increases seem to be increasing... ie: We're not coming to a peak, but are possibly at the bottom of an increasing slope?

Note: This is some interesting reading though http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/global_warming.html

honestly i pulled the number out of my ass, i posted that before taking a "pee break" from my desk. soz.

overall i do think it's a trend that is slowly reaching the end of it's upward growth, but if i could quote you an overall time line for it, i'd be chairing an eviromental dept at the Uni of my choosing.

interesting link though.

I also thought the specificity of a 100-300 year timeframe a bit odd, considering that we're talking about epochs here, but I agree we're still coming out of an ice age. No matter what the cause, though, the uptick in heat seems to be pretty dramatic, and will have consequences that need to be considered, planned for and dealt with--not ignored or swept under the rug because it's an inconvenient truth. WAIT! I mean, because it's a disadvantageous fact :D

yeah i was shooting fro 1000-3000, and left off the extra 0. why? becasue i'm too lazy to proof read, and was in a hurry.:D

AcesandEights
17-Jul-2006, 06:12 PM
yeah i was shooting fro 1000-3000, and left off the extra 0. why? becasue i'm too lazy to proof read, and was in a hurry.:D

Oh, that makes a hell of a lot more sense :)

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 06:16 PM
yeah sorry about that.

it's the mountain dews' fault.

dmbfanintn
17-Jul-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh, that makes a hell of a lot more sense :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: