PDA

View Full Version : Day Of The Dead on UK TV last night...

Neil
26-Jun-2014, 10:53 AM
I was flicking around and bumped into Romero's Day Of The Dead last night...

It's been a while since I watched it, but I have to say I was instantly drawn by the feel of the film; The characters (although a little cliche) work perfectly. The story/script is simple but nice and dark and broody. And the music (a touch 80s) is just brilliant! And then the effects, without a pixel of CGI!

This film just keeps growing on me!

If only Romero could recapture a bit of the magic he demonstrated with this flick!

MinionZombie
26-Jun-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah I was flicking around and stumbled upon it on The Horror Channel and watched a little bit of it in passing. I love that film and it still holds up today ... indeed, 80s style scores are quite common these days, particularly in genre flicks (thinking of stuff like Hobo With A Shotgun).

rongravy
26-Jun-2014, 06:46 PM
It's also on Netflix. I have the dvd thangie, but I guess it'd be HD quality if I watch it there. Been meaning to, as my wife always wants me to find zombie flicks, but 99.9% on that site are nothing but low budget crapola. She's seen Day countless times, but it's been awhile...

EvilNed
26-Jun-2014, 11:29 PM
I watch it at least once a year. I love it.

Rottedfreak
27-Jun-2014, 05:29 PM
I didn't care for it when I first saw it, it was a VHS copy first but then the BBC aired a widescreen version with the correct colors and it was like watching a different film.

krisvds
28-Jun-2014, 05:42 AM
It's really quite simple: Day is the best zombie film ever made. Nothing comes close. I think it has the best pacing of the original three; from the eerie opening to the slow build of tension and suspense, and then that operatic finale. The tone is spot on: a perfect mix of EC comic book-characterisation and serious dread. There is an obvious political undertone that is anything but subtle but still isn't delivered in an 'in your face' way that characterised his later films.

It is a true classic that ages more gracefully than anything romero has ever done. Night may be the classic and Dawn many a fan's favourite but Day of the Dead is, to me at least, one of the best films ever made. Anyone who thinks TWD tv series is the best thing that ever happened to this genre clearly hasn't seen this film.

Wyldwraith
28-Jun-2014, 10:26 AM
I'll dispute that,
The original Dawn gives Day a run for the money IMO, and is by far (again, IMHO) the better flick. Day is great, but I feel its Achilles Heel is to be found in it not holding up as well as Dawn to repeated viewings. This is because Day relies on a sense of tension in the progression of events building up to everything going to Hell. Once you know the plot by heart, much of that sense of tension is out the window, at least for me. Not saying that Dawn isn't vulnerable to the same problem, but IMO it's to a significantly lesser extent.

I'll grant you that Day has the better opening sequence however.

MinionZombie
28-Jun-2014, 11:03 AM
I prefer Dawn over Day, but I absolutely agree that Day ages far better than Dawn.

Both have excellent openings (Dawn's sense of a crumbling society, that frayed knot unravelling) but in different ways. Day of the Dead's opening is much more cinematic in the classic sense, particularly in that it builds and builds with a series of reveals that build towards a grand image (the zombies filling the streets in wide shots, their howling filling the air).

krisvds
28-Jun-2014, 06:33 PM
I'll dispute that,
The original Dawn gives Day a run for the money IMO, and is by far (again, IMHO) the better flick. Day is great, but I feel its Achilles Heel is to be found in it not holding up as well as Dawn to repeated viewings. This is because Day relies on a sense of tension in the progression of events building up to everything going to Hell. Once you know the plot by heart, much of that sense of tension is out the window, at least for me. Not saying that Dawn isn't vulnerable to the same problem, but IMO it's to a significantly lesser extent.

I'll grant you that Day has the better opening sequence however.

Like most people posting here i have seen both Dawn and Day countless times. In fact the ability to endlesly quote from both movies can be a bit embarassing. (;))
So of course the tension, suspense and dread dissipates over time. But what makes Day better IMO is the perfect execution of the build up and the better written characters. The movie has no fat on it, every scene is perfect in moving the story forwards, like clockwork.

Moon Knight
29-Jun-2014, 12:32 AM
Day of the Dead is simply fantastic, haunting, and massively underrated.

A classic.

MagicMoonMonkey
11-Jul-2014, 11:23 PM
I was flicking around and bumped into Romero's Day Of The Dead last night...

It's been a while since I watched it, but I have to say I was instantly drawn by the feel of the film; The characters (although a little cliche) work perfectly. The story/script is simple but nice and dark and broody. And the music (a touch 80s) is just brilliant! And then the effects, without a pixel of CGI!

This film just keeps growing on me!

If only Romero could recapture a bit of the magic he demonstrated with this flick!

Having grown in terms of life experience between your last two viewings of DotD, did you happen to notice how Rhodes was the true victim of the movie after this viewing?