PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Rim 2 (film)

Neil
27-Jun-2014, 09:02 AM
Looks likes it's been given the go ahead! I still need to see the first one yet :o - http://www.thewrap.com/guillermo-del-toros-pacific-rim-2-lands-2017-release-date/

MinionZombie
27-Jun-2014, 09:59 AM
Rectify that, Neil - it's a bloody good fun time, so it is.

Hopefully GDT can come up with a good story to go with it while maintaining the big and brash sense of fun that the first film had (I must give it another watch - I need to see a big ugly monster get twatted about the face with a cargo ship again :D ).

MoonSylver
27-Jun-2014, 03:50 PM
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130506113002/vampirediaries/images/5/5d/Bbt_celebration-gif_medium.gif

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140515210256/sailormoon/images/3/3c/Stephen-colbert-celebration-gif.gif

http://cdn.niketalk.com/9/9d/9d1af3c3_Celebrating.gif

And there was much rejoicing. :D

EvilNed
27-Jun-2014, 05:07 PM
I feel that films these days feel the need to explain to much - leaving nothing to the imagination. The first film would have been so much more enjoyable if we hadn't gotten a bunch of technobabble about what the monsters were, where they were from and what Class they were (what the fuck was up with all that Class 3, Mark 2 bullshit).

Overall, I thought it was dumb beyond excuse while watching it in the theaters, but Having recently rewatched the first half of it, I gotta say that it might go down as one of the very few memorable popcorn flicks of the early 2010's.

AcesandEights
27-Jun-2014, 05:45 PM
We'll see. I was very unimpressed at the end of the first film, but it had a few cool parts that left me yearning for a better executed version and I still catch myself stopping on the channel to watch parts of it. I guess I thought it had elements that really worked and others that were insultingly boring or unnecessarily convoluted. It really felt like they had their set pieces and then went to hammer them together with plot as an afterthought.

MinionZombie
27-Jun-2014, 07:12 PM
I feel that films these days feel the need to explain to much - leaving nothing to the imagination.

There was a lot of explaining stuff in PR, that is true, but then again if they hadn't have done that I think it would have been a poorer film for it. There was clearly a whole evolution of society that had happened around the kaiju (e.g. the illegal trade in their body parts) and you've got to fill in some of the blanks to make these elements work, otherwise you're going to lose - potentially - large portions of your audience.

Now, I'm not saying that PR was 'dumbing down', and it did overexplain in some areas, but generally I thought it was okay overall on that front.

It really felt like they had their set pieces and then went to hammer them together with plot as an afterthought.

I didn't feel that way personally. Looking at the Blu-Ray extras it felt like case of 'world building' rather than 'film building'. It seemed like, from GDT's journals, he'd have ideas for scenes, or characters, or settings, or designs, and these ideas would come as-and-when, which I think is a very standard way for anything creative to come together (especially when putting together a story - I know I've found it to be that way in the early stages, and your brain will just fling out disconnected ideas that, eventually in a great enough number, will then allow you to actively piece them together).

Now, on the other hand, the extras also show how design-heavy the film was. There's a lot of attention paid to the design of the film (which has been thought out remarkably well - similar to Avatar, or Prometheus, in recent years, and in both cases the Blu-Ray extras revealed the sheer depth of thought that went into 'world building' on those flicks). I think the plot of the film is good - it's solid - but it's not the most original, absolutely, however at the same time it's a classic type of hero story, so in essence it works while not doing much to change the playing field.

Yeah, I can see - to an extent - where you're coming from on the 'set pieces' angle, but I didn't see or feel the disconnect between the big moments and the little moments that you seemed to find. Everybody's experience will vary, naturally.

It certainly delivered in spades on the main front though - big ass robots punching big ass monsters in the face in a really fun way.

:)

EvilNed
27-Jun-2014, 11:55 PM
Just too dumb and poorly written to punch it's way all the way through. They should have focused way more on melodrama and characters and less on "category three kaiju!" If it wanted to hit that home-run.

rongravy
27-Jun-2014, 11:57 PM
The first one was the tits, so I'm in. Loved the baddies, especially their home world stuff. I'm hoping for more of that in the next one.
I was a bit surprised I was as into the first one as I was. I was actually chuckling gleefully during the fight scenes.

MoonSylver
28-Jun-2014, 12:41 AM
There was a lot of explaining stuff in PR, that is true, but then again if they hadn't have done that I think it would have been a poorer film for it. There was clearly a whole evolution of society that had happened around the kaiju (e.g. the illegal trade in their body parts) and you've got to fill in some of the blanks to make these elements work, otherwise you're going to lose - potentially - large portions of your audience.

Now, I'm not saying that PR was 'dumbing down', and it did overexplain in some areas, but generally I thought it was okay overall on that front.

I didn't feel that way personally. Looking at the Blu-Ray extras it felt like case of 'world building' rather than 'film building'. It seemed like, from GDT's journals, he'd have ideas for scenes, or characters, or settings, or designs, and these ideas would come as-and-when, which I think is a very standard way for anything creative to come together (especially when putting together a story - I know I've found it to be that way in the early stages, and your brain will just fling out disconnected ideas that, eventually in a great enough number, will then allow you to actively piece them together).

Now, on the other hand, the extras also show how design-heavy the film was. There's a lot of attention paid to the design of the film (which has been thought out remarkably well - similar to Avatar, or Prometheus, in recent years, and in both cases the Blu-Ray extras revealed the sheer depth of thought that went into 'world building' on those flicks). I think the plot of the film is good - it's solid - but it's not the most original, absolutely, however at the same time it's a classic type of hero story, so in essence it works while not doing much to change the playing field.

Yeah, I can see - to an extent - where you're coming from on the 'set pieces' angle, but I didn't see or feel the disconnect between the big moments and the little moments that you seemed to find. Everybody's experience will vary, naturally.

It certainly delivered in spades on the main front though - big ass robots punching big ass monsters in the face in a really fun way.

:)

^^^ Gets it in spades. You took the words "world building" right out of my mouth. That's exactly what they did a great job of. :thumbsup:

The first one was the tits, so I'm in. Loved the baddies, especially their home world stuff. I'm hoping for more of that in the next one.
I was a bit surprised I was as into the first one as I was. I was actually chuckling gleefully during the fight scenes.

^^^My man. :thumbsup:

As for the rest of you old humbugs...

http://www.imgverse.com/uploads/original/52800c604ec64f481400002a.gif

:lol:

EvilNed
07-Jul-2014, 10:59 AM
As for the rest of you old humbugs...

http://www.imgverse.com/uploads/original/52800c604ec64f481400002a.gif

:lol:

EQAdh07mugc

Btw,

I'm glad you featured one of the dumbest moments in the film...

"All hope is lost!"

"No, we've still got this sword that I just haven't cared to mention until now - and since this is your robot you really ought to have thought of it earlier - and furthermore, aren't our minds linked anyway, why do I have to mention this sword to begin with?"

Meh. It's a pretty stupid film. But the first half of it is very enjoyable, agreed.

MoonSylver
07-Jul-2014, 11:42 PM
EQAdh07mugc

Btw,

I'm glad you featured one of the dumbest moments in the film...

"All hope is lost!"

"No, we've still got this sword that I just haven't cared to mention until now - and since this is your robot you really ought to have thought of it earlier - and furthermore, aren't our minds linked anyway, why do I have to mention this sword to begin with?"

Meh. It's a pretty stupid film. But the first half of it is very enjoyable, agreed.

Same reason why Voltron never just "Formed Blazing Sword" right at the beginning of the fight, cut the Ro-Beast in 1/2, & then called it a day...:rolleyes:

http://operachic.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c83e69e2017d3cdfb82b970c-320wi

bassman
08-Jul-2014, 03:45 PM
The first was more akin to a rollercoaster ride in IMAX 3D. One hell of an enjoyable and immersive experience, so I'll gladly be there opening night for a sequel.

follyu
12-Jul-2014, 04:54 PM
Your gifs made me smile.. thanks.!!!!!!