PDA

View Full Version : The Battery (film) - Indie zombie flick

Legion2213
08-Aug-2014, 08:29 PM
Watched this film last night, one of best I've seen for ages. Pretty slowly paced and not a massive amount of action, but I really enjoyed it. It only cost £6000 to make but looks like a it cost a lot more. If you haven't seen it, please check it out, I really enjoyed this, a very "human element" to the whole thing, more drama and humour than action or gore, but well worth a watch!

One of those rare finds in a vast ocean of crap IMO. Also has a great soundtrack!

Legion2213
03-Oct-2014, 07:32 PM
Shameless self promoting bump.

Really, nobody seen this or felt the need to comment on it yet?

I think It also goes by the name of "Ben & Mickey Vs The Dead"

Honestly guys, if you've not seen it, you are missing out (IMO). :)

MoonSylver
03-Oct-2014, 08:13 PM
I keep hearing great things, but the premise was so "WTF" I just haven't gotten around to it. :)

Legion2213
03-Oct-2014, 08:17 PM
I keep hearing great things, but the premise was so "WTF" I just haven't gotten around to it. :)

It's the best zombie movie you will watch this year! (unless you watch a better one) ;)

Honestly though, I felt this was really worth my while...so much so, that I have ordered the DVD and have the OST on my MP3 player and phone. :)

shootemindehead
05-Oct-2014, 07:41 AM
I've seen it under the Ben and Gerrys title.

It's decent enough, but the central characters are wankers, to say the least. Not that suvivors of a zombie apoc have to sound lads or anything. But, I think I'd end up walking away!

There's some really decent low budget indie flicks being made in the last few years that have been worth seeking out (which BTW shows up the lie about illegal downloading killing the business) and I got a good old kick out of this one. In addition, for such a low budget, it really has put some other much higher budgeted films to shame. It used every single dollar perfectly IMHO.

AcesandEights
05-Oct-2014, 03:27 PM
I'll definitely have to give it a look, just not sure when I'll get the chance. I guess I'll have to see if I can get it on Netflix.

kidgloves
05-Oct-2014, 04:26 PM
Had this a while now. Must give it a look

MoonSylver
22-Oct-2014, 09:42 PM
http://s.peliculaspepito.com/peliculas/12023-the-battery.jpg

"The Battery" 9/10

It has been said often enough to almost become cliche that the best zombie movies aren't about the zombies themselves, but the people. The reason it is so oft repeated is that, by & large, it is true. Dealing with the characters reactions to the zombpocalypse, how they deal with it, their struggles with each other. Their struggles with themselves.

That is exactly the type of movie "The Battery" is. We are given the story of two minor league baseball players, a pitcher & a catcher or "a Battery" in baseball slang, & their travels & struggles across New England during the aforementioned zombpocalypse, & their struggles to survive this end of the world, each other, & themselves.

From its opening credits, accompanied by a cover of the gospel standard "Ain't No Grave Gonna Hold My Body Down", you know that you're in for something special.

The move is very measured & methodical in its pacing. This is not an action or a gore film. It is, at its heart, & drama with horror elements. It starts off slowly enough, & seems that it's going to be little more than average at first, but slowly builds as it goes along. It's a movie that doesn't reveal its greatness up front. You have to go along on the ride with it & be patient before it carefully reveals its secrets to you.

Ultimately, The movie succeeds or fails based on if your attention can be kept by the performance of the two leads & the narrative of their journey. Mine was, & it succeeded splendidly for me.

It is very rare these days for me to see a movie that I think about beyond the viewing experience itself, or that makes me want to give more than a couple of sentence summary, or that actually makes me look forward to discussing the film with others. This one does all of that & more.

Made for a reported budget of just $6000 is is a very small movie, & is the very definition of "indie", both in its look, feel, tone, & sensibilities, right down to its excellent, but off beat soundtrack.

I had avoided this movie because of the disservice someone did of summing up the movie by a condensed summary of the 3rd act as the basis of the entire movie itself. "two guys trapped in a car surrounded by zombies" I regret now it took me so long to give "The Battery" a shot, as it delivered a solid home run.

I don't think it would be too much hyperbole to call "The Battery" one of the better entries in to the genre in the last 5-10 years. I would certainly put it right up there with the Ford brothers "The Dead", but from a TOTALLY different end of the spectrum in terms of size & scope, but right there with it in terms of human drama & emotional journey, if not even more so.

It is a relief to know that the zombie sub-genre still has life in it. It is a belief I've held over all these years, even with all the sub-par offerings that make it feel like there is nothing much left to be said or done. Then someone comes along with a new take, a new perspective, or just a new way of telling the same very basic stories about human beings that makes it feel fresh & alive again.

Anyone who doubts this, or is looking for that infusion of freshness, or is a fan of some of the core elements that make the zombie sub-genre what it is, or even that just loves a good indie dramatic story told simply, owes it to themselves to see this film.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen it under the Ben and Gerrys title.

It's decent enough, but the central characters are wankers, to say the least. Not that suvivors of a zombie apoc have to sound lads or anything. But, I think I'd end up walking away!

There's some really decent low budget indie flicks being made in the last few years that have been worth seeking out (which BTW shows up the lie about illegal downloading killing the business) and I got a good old kick out of this one. In addition, for such a low budget, it really has put some other much higher budgeted films to shame. It used every single dollar perfectly IMHO.

Mmm. Maybe. I started off that way, but as the movie progressed I liked them both, though they were both obviously "sub par" characters. That was what made them so great IMO is that they were both so flawed & "less than ideal" characters, which was refreshing.

I think a telling comment was made by the writer/director/star ("Ben") of the pic in the making of: when asked which character he was most like he said BOTH of them, that each were aspects of his personality that he found it interesting to explore as two separate characters.

So really, you could really kind of view these guys as each being an incomplete person(ality) who complement, & in some ways, need each other.

MinionZombie
23-Oct-2014, 10:07 AM
I'll stick this on the to-do list, Moon. Sounds like it'd be up my street. :)

MoonSylver
23-Oct-2014, 04:02 PM
I'll stick this on the to-do list, Moon. Sounds like it'd be up my street. :)

I think so. Hope you dig it as much as I do. It's a a small, simple film, simply told. But there is an emotional & dramatic complexity to it, & just the characters, story, & the way it's told are original enough to be worthy of praise. :)

shootemindehead
25-Oct-2014, 11:00 AM
Mmm. Maybe. I started off that way, but as the movie progressed I liked them both, though they were both obviously "sub par" characters. That was what made them so great IMO is that they were both so flawed & "less than ideal" characters, which was refreshing.

I think a telling comment was made by the writer/director/star ("Ben") of the pic in the making of: when asked which character he was most like he said BOTH of them, that each were aspects of his personality that he found it interesting to explore as two separate characters.

So really, you could really kind of view these guys as each being an incomplete person(ality) who complement, & in some ways, need each other.

Combined into one super wanker!!!

Haha.

Seriously though, even though I disliked the characters, I certainly applaude their existence, don't get me wrong. Far too many films have unrealistic "kewl" guys as their protagonists. I completely agree that they were refreshing.

MoonSylver
25-Oct-2014, 12:16 PM
It's funny, I started off liking Mickey & disliking Ben, then that switched mid-movie, before coming to like them both by the end.

In a way there was a George & Lenny "Of Mice & Men" vibe to their personalities. One was was sweet natured & gentle & one was a harsh realist. And just like in Steinbeck's novel, the one that had no place in this world had to go, right down to the ending. Both of them killed over a girl too. In a way, "The Battery" reminded me of that novel.

Neil
31-Oct-2014, 12:53 PM
OK! Loved this flick!

Thought the last 10-20 mins tailed off a little, but considering the budged it's an astounding effort!

f6_MaIyPQQ4

MoonSylver
31-Oct-2014, 09:13 PM
^^^ One of my favorite scenes in the movie. No joke. Don't know why, it just cracks me up. :) especially with Ben & Mickey's history with the headphones, & Ben's comment "What?! You don't think I like music? I fuckin' LOVE music!" :lol:

Glad to hear you liked it! :)

Re: the last 10 -20: I would have thought that would/should have been dull. I was strangely captivated. Even with little to no dialog, just seeing them passing time, trying to hang in there, with the incessant pounding & noise, was chilling to me.

I found that aspect of these dead unnerving. When they covered the windows if they were quiet, the dead of some Z movies would have just wandered away when they "forgot" they were there. But (in this one) as Ben said "They don't go away. They never go away." :eek:

Their whole last night was great too. A last hurrah of two guys likely to die. Then the waiting while Mickey was gone had me on the edge of my seat.

Then Ben's last lines: "If it doesn't work, I'm gonna put a bullet in my head. But if it DOES, then I'm commin' for ya, & I'm gonna put a bullet in YOUR head! I'll be seein' ya real soon." FANTASTIC!

So, yeah, I even dug the ending. :D

Legion2213
03-Nov-2014, 11:21 PM
Good to see the love here! Glad I am not alone in really rating this movie (and it's soundtrack)!

MoonSylver
03-Nov-2014, 11:47 PM
Good to see the love here! Glad I am not alone in really rating this movie (and it's soundtrack)!

Yep, you were on point sir. As stated above, my only regret was I didn't see it sooner due to a mistaken synopsis making it sound much less awesome than it actually IS. :thumbsup:

Legion2213
03-Nov-2014, 11:57 PM
Yep, you were on point sir. As stated above, my only regret was I didn't see it sooner due to a mistaken synopsis making it sound much less awesome than it actually IS. :thumbsup:

My own musings as to the nature of the film weren't too great either really. :D

Hopefully, others here will read your far more detailed thoughts and comments about this flick and give it a go.

Oh, and the original condensed review you read that put you off is criminal!

Neil
04-Nov-2014, 07:30 AM
The dialog, character interplay and of course the music made it for me...

A couple of zombies in the distance every now and then would have helped I think, just to remind you they're never totally safe. eg: At the lake, just have a lone figure stumbling around right on the other side or something. They did it beautifully once in TWD when they were driving along and there was a lone zombie in the middle of a huge field... Atmospheric!

Not so sure about the "man act" to the female zombie at the car window mind... Didn't quite to sit right with that character IMHO.

Morto Vivente
04-Nov-2014, 12:04 PM
@Legion, watched this flick recently, thanks man, I wasn't disappointed. A great dynamic between the lead characters, and despite the lack of zeds it still held everything together.

I liked the use of the headphones and music as a means to contrast the characters and hi-light the issue of survival versus humanity/art/romance etc. The actual soundtrack didn't do much for me though. I didn't dislike it, it did the job.

The baseball allegory for Ben and Mickey wasn't lost on me either, even although I'm a Brit.

"One pitch bitch !" :lol::lol:

Loved this movie! :thumbsup:

MoonSylver
04-Nov-2014, 09:47 PM
My own musings as to the nature of the film weren't too great either really. :D

Hopefully, others here will read your far more detailed thoughts and comments about this flick and give it a go.

Oh, and the original condensed review you read that put you off is criminal!

Your mention was what finally got me off my arse to give it a go. ;) After starting to hear so many mentions around the interwebz I started figuring "there has to be SOMETHING going on here!" :)

The dialog, character interplay and of course the music made it for me...

A couple of zombies in the distance every now and then would have helped I think, just to remind you they're never totally safe. eg: At the lake, just have a lone figure stumbling around right on the other side or something. They did it beautifully once in TWD when they were driving along and there was a lone zombie in the middle of a huge field... Atmospheric!

Yeah. Movie this small, I'm sure it was a budgetary/availability thing, in terms of extras.

Not so sure about the car scene & zombie at the car window mind... Didn't quite to sit right with that character IMHO.

Redacted. Might want to edit for minor spoilers? In any case didn't fuss me too much. A quirky scene in a quirky movie, played for laughs. In the "making of" they rationalized it by saying that it's been awhile since there's been any "alone time" since these guys have been together every moment, in the open, with no privacy. Mickey saw a chance on the spur of the moment & took it.

In the original draft of the script, apparently he is scrambling around the car for a weapon & finds a condom, which spurs him the get out & tie the zombie to the hood of the car w/ a bungee cord & have his way with her! :eek: In some ways I wish they'd kept that as its kinda more serious & disturbing, but not sure how it would impact the tone of the movie, the feel of the character, etc. As it is, it's funny & kinda sad. Mickey is already a kind of sad & slightly pathetic character who I felt sorry for. This actually kind of reinforced that, especially with Ben catching him, & his reaction

@Legion, watched this flick recently, thanks man, I wasn't disappointed. A great dynamic between the lead characters, and despite the lack of zeds it still held everything together.

I liked the use of the headphones and music as a means to contrast the characters and hi-light the issue of survival versus humanity/art/romance etc. The actual soundtrack didn't do much for me though. I didn't dislike it, it did the job.

good points on the use of the music & the listening to it to highlight the issues of humanity/art/romanticism vs survival. Not sure I considered that. I was too busy considering it escapism aspect of it. As for the actual music itself, I was a little off put at first, but it lent a quirky charm I didn't expect the more of it I heard as the movie progressed.

The baseball allegory for Ben and Mickey wasn't lost on me either, even although I'm a Brit.

"One pitch bitch !" :lol::lol:

:lol: Great scene. I liked his follow up response after he said that "...but what a pitch it is." It was nice. :)

Loved this movie! :thumbsup:

Glad to see it gaining viewers. :)

Wyldwraith
12-Nov-2014, 02:26 PM
This was the one where the two Survivors
spent a huge amount of time stuck in the vehicle surrounded by zombies
Right?
If so, I hated this movie with a PASSION. If anyone here has seen The Pulse 2, I hate it THAT much.
The entire fixation on the chick from the other group. The keys getting thrown into the unfindable shrubbery...the endless march of minutiae in the vehicle.

About the only thing I liked was
the guy who lived radioing the chick and explaining what he was gonna do and how, and what would happen if he didn't die.

The characterization was extremely annoying,
and the guy who hadn't killed a zombie, forcing the other guy to carry him...but then the asshole move about throwing a zombie in his room while he's sleeping and then holding the door shut...I was like WTH. With a friend like this, who needs mortal enemies.

I am completely mystified at all the praise this movie is getting here.

Mod Note: added spoiler tags

AcesandEights
12-Nov-2014, 02:46 PM
Added spoiler tags for you, Wyld :rolleyes:

MoonSylver
12-Nov-2014, 10:05 PM
I am completely mystified at all the praise this movie is getting here.

Because we don't all like the same things. http://s.plurk.com/35b16fc25623670e41c2be6bf8ac38c7.gif I can accept it's not a movie for everyone. As I pointed out, it is a very indie movie, with all the alternative sensibilities that come along with. So if that's not your thing, then yeah, steer clear.

Wyldwraith
13-Nov-2014, 02:00 AM
@Moon:

And about most movies, I'd say you're exactly right, tastes differ, and that's the end of it. In this case, however, I am ACTUALLY *mystified* how something I loathed so very much can be so universally well-received. I mean it's one thing when (for example) Person A watches Movie X and gives it a 9 out of 10, while Person B having watched Movie X gives it a 7 out of 10. To me the mystery is how can something I'd give a 2-3 out of 10 be 8-9 out of 10 material for so many others?

So NOT trying to imply my taste in movies is somehow more elevated or worth more than anyone else, I just commented based on my genuine confusion and listed the main reasons why I felt the movie was so bad. And BTW, if the chick's only purpose in throwing away their car keys was to prevent them from following her and her companion, she could easily have said "I'm gonna drop these out the window about a quarter mile down the road. By the time you run down there and back to the car, we'll be long gone." Or something to that effect. INSTEAD, she chunks the keys way off the road into the dense foliage. Which would be perfectly justifiable if she had something against the protagonists...but nope, she explains its just a preventative measure. That just didn't make sense to me, maddeningly so.

MoonSylver
13-Nov-2014, 09:38 PM
I think she was pretty pissed when she realized who they were, which is why she chucked the keys. After all, she just shot Ben in the leg. She had told Mickey not to try & find her or they'd exile her. We never learn the full story of "The Orchard", but it sounds like a bad scene. I'd say she really didn't give a shit what happened to them TBH.

As for Mickey's fixation on her: IMO it was another escape. Another coping mechanism. Something to hang onto.

RE: Ben shoving the zombie in the room w/ Mickey. Yeah, it was a dick move, no doubt. Not smart at all. But both those guys weren't the brightest bulbs, & probably neither of them were playing with a full deck by that point.

In any case, it is a quirky film, so again, if that sort of thing is not to one's taste, there it is. :|

Trencher
13-Nov-2014, 10:07 PM
Wyldwraith I felt the same way. But after reading the comments here I understood that the things I disliked about the characters were things I were supposed to dislike about them. Maybe it is because the abundance of characters like the main protagonists in TV and movies now adays that I thought that the writers intended the characters values to be something for us to agree with.

MoonSylver
13-Nov-2014, 11:19 PM
Ben & Mickey are an odd duo. They wouldn't be on my list if I was putting together a "dream team" of who I'd want with me in a zombpocalypse. :lol: But they're interesting characters to me nonetheless. :) I like them, in a doofus-y sort of way, even though they both are somewhat unlikeable in some of their character flaws in some respects. ;)

Morto Vivente
15-Nov-2014, 11:09 AM
I really liked how the characters played off one another. IMO it wasn't about the individuals, but the relationship between them. Mickey resisting his reality anyway he can, and Ben almost reveling in it at times.

When Ben locks Mickey in the room with the zed, he's already realized that Mickey will get them both killed if he doesn't accept that the world has changed. No amount of rational debate will change Mickey. Ben merely corners Mickey and forces him to see the situation as it is, and attempts to shatter his wall of denial (trial by fire). The Bottom line in Ben's eyes is that Mickey has no powers of self-reliance (partially explaining his obsession with the female survivor), ultimately killing himself and probably Ben. "The one pitch bitch" never managed to "change up".

I agree that Mickey could be described as annoying and Ben as obnoxious, but for me the interest lies in the interaction of these two extremes. They're almost the Laurel and Hardy of the ZA.

MoonSylver
15-Nov-2014, 03:25 PM
^^^ Great analysis MV! :thumbsup: very astute observation on the relevance of the"one pitch bitch" comment. I never got that. Makes perfect sense now. A seemingly throwaway line that actually gives a much deeper insight into the character: a guy who's unwilling (or unable) to change. :)

bd2999
13-Feb-2015, 02:12 AM
I am not going to go to much into it, but I wanted to like this movie more than I did. The trapped in a car part was kind of neat and creepy but to me there needed to be more action or horror involved. The story is primarily the relationship between the two leads, and that is fine, but the threat never seems quite as imminent as I think is warranted at times in these sorts of movies.

RichW
24-Feb-2015, 02:45 PM
Well, I recently watch this and ... I'm glad I did!

It's true that the meat of the story lies in the interaction between the characters,
sometimes, it's also about what's not said rather than what is too.

The guys don't conform to the usual 'good/bad' character profiles and neither do some
of the situations they find themselves in or the decisions that they make.
... a bold move from the producers, that worked for me ... I found it refreshing
to see something other than a standard 'sausage-machine' type angle on the ZA.

Also true that this is not a usual ZA Action type flick either. The claustrophobic
conditions of the car together with the implied imminent danger from all the
Z howling outside was intense - a great scene

Seems it's one of those Marmite type films - you either love it or hate it.
I'd give it a solid thumbs up personally.

PS ... it took ages to get that darn tune out of my head too!! :cool:

MoonSylver
24-Feb-2015, 02:53 PM
Well, I recently watch this and ... I'm glad I did!

It's true that the meat of the story lies in the interaction between the characters,
sometimes, it's also about what's not said rather than what is too.

The guys don't conform to the usual 'good/bad' character profiles and neither do some
of the situations they find themselves in or the decisions that they make.
... a bold move from the producers, that worked for me ... I found it refreshing
to see something other than a standard 'sausage-machine' type angle on the ZA.

Also true that this is not a usual ZA Action type flick either. The claustrophobic
conditions of the car together with the implied imminent danger from all the
Z howling outside was intense - a great scene

Seems it's one of those Marmite type films - you either love it or hate it.
I'd give it a solid thumbs up personally.

:thumbsup:

PS ... it took ages to get that darn tune out of my head too!! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK-YsL58VDs

Love it. :)

Moon Knight
28-Feb-2015, 12:31 AM
OK! Loved this flick!

Thought the last 10-20 mins tailed off a little, but considering the budged it's an astounding effort!

f6_MaIyPQQ4

^^^^ Was that really in the movie? lmao

Neil
28-Feb-2015, 09:18 AM
^^ Yes! Classic scene!

MoonSylver
28-Feb-2015, 12:30 PM
^^ Yes! Classic scene!

:thumbsup: It's even funnier in context. I almost hate it that anyone sees that scene if they're going to watch the movie...sort of spoils the surprise. :)

Moon Knight
07-Mar-2015, 01:20 AM
:thumbsup: It's even funnier in context. I almost hate it that anyone sees that scene if they're going to watch the movie...sort of spoils the surprise. :)

Well, cool then cause I didn't finish the clip!