PDA

View Full Version : UK Folks - New Dr Who (TV Series)

Neil
23-Aug-2014, 09:00 PM
Can someone explain the ending of the new episode (with the robot leader in the promised land)? I suspect it was a reference to something in the past series (that I didn't watch)?

MinionZombie
24-Aug-2014, 11:43 AM
Can someone explain the ending of the new episode (with the robot leader in the promised land)? I suspect it was a reference to something in the past series (that I didn't watch)?

Yeah I didn't get that either. There seemed to be several references to past events/episodes that went right over my head because I just don't remember those events (e.g. there was some line about some woman on a phone talking to Clara - eh?). I presume the bit at the end - the 'promised land' - was something in a previous episode. I seemed to kind of remember the set, and the actress, but beyond that I had no idea. They seem to do that quite often on Dr Who and it's annoying as a casual viewer - you don't have to reference it in a really dumb way, but a little help would be nice.

As for the episode - it felt overlong - like it was only 80 minutes because it needed to be that long to justify it being in cinemas and being an 'event' etc. I liked some of the stuff in there, the Doctor/Clara stuff where she was struggling with his transformation, but the cyborg enemies didn't particularly do it for me. They were kind of creepy, but I don't know, it felt kind of lacking - and, as I've said, drawn out over too many minutes. It kind of felt like 60 minutes of story wedged into 80 minutes of screentime, heh.

In some ways it was kind of awkward too - the transition to Capaldi has been dragged out over several months, so the momentum of that was lost, if that makes sense.

We'll see how it goes from here with Capaldi.

Neil
24-Aug-2014, 11:50 AM
Yeah I didn't get that either. There seemed to be several references to past events/episodes that went right over my head because I just don't remember those events (e.g. there was some line about some woman on a phone talking to Clara - eh?). I presume the bit at the end - the 'promised land' - was something in a previous episode. I seemed to kind of remember the set, and the actress, but beyond that I had no idea. They seem to do that quite often on Dr Who and it's annoying as a casual viewer - you don't have to reference it in a really dumb way, but a little help would be nice.

As for the episode - it felt overlong - like it was only 80 minutes because it needed to be that long to justify it being in cinemas and being an 'event' etc. I liked some of the stuff in there, the Doctor/Clara stuff where she was struggling with his transformation, but the cyborg enemies didn't particularly do it for me. They were kind of creepy, but I don't know, it felt kind of lacking - and, as I've said, drawn out over too many minutes. It kind of felt like 60 minutes of story wedged into 80 minutes of screentime, heh.

In some ways it was kind of awkward too - the transition to Capaldi has been dragged out over several months, so the momentum of that was lost, if that makes sense.

We'll see how it goes from here with Capaldi.

Yeh, felt overlong, and over clunky IMHO - Almost painfully so at times... That said, it's the first Dr Who I've watched in a loooong time, and it's intrigued me enough to watch the next episode.