PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fancy watching some new Walking Dead episodes next month?

Neil
01-Sep-2014, 04:05 PM
Not long now :)

MinionZombie
01-Sep-2014, 04:25 PM
Not long now :)

Time flies, alright! :stunned:

Woo - looking forward to season 5!

rongravy
01-Sep-2014, 06:59 PM
Heck yeah.

Ed
01-Sep-2014, 11:40 PM
When is the season premiere?

facestabber
02-Sep-2014, 02:09 AM
The only show on television I care about, so yeah just a tad excited. Additionally I really enjoy the discussion that takes place here.

MinionZombie
02-Sep-2014, 10:16 AM
When is the season premiere?

October 12th on AMC in the USA.

Then it's whenever after that that everyone's local broadcasters in their respective countries will air it (e.g. in the UK it'll probably be October 13th).

Ed
02-Sep-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks, MZ. :)

That means there will be a torrent on the 13th. ;)

Morto Vivente
02-Sep-2014, 12:52 PM
Undoubtedly premature, but I think this season will be the best so far...can't wait. Nicotero is directing 4 episodes. :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/08/25/greg-nicotero-the-walking-dead-season-5_n_5711269.html

Neil
02-Sep-2014, 01:17 PM
^^ TBH I've not been overly impressed with his episodes. I'm not saying their bad (far from it)... but they haven't stood out to me.

MinionZombie
02-Sep-2014, 04:27 PM
^^ TBH I've not been overly impressed with his episodes. I'm not saying their bad (far from it)... but they haven't stood out to me.

Hmmm... :rockbrow:

The Walking Dead (2011 -) (6 Episodes)

2.11 Judge, Jury, Executioner
3.5 Say The Word
3.11 I Ain't a Judas
3.15 This Sorrowful Life
4.1 30 Days Without an Accident
4.9 After

2x11 was really good for character stuff and the morality of possibly executing Randal for fear of hurting the group by letting him go and perhaps bring his nasty buddies back with him (and it was the episode where Dale died).

3x11 was a bit iffy, and 3x05 wasn't remarkable, and I think on those two it really came down to the scripts ... but 3x15 was one of the best episodes of TWD ever made (the one where Merle dies).

I'd say both episodes he did in season 4 were excellent - the season opener, and then the one where it was stripped right back to just Rick and Carl after the fall of the prison, taking inspiration from Volume 9 of the comics (a favourite of mine).

TV is very much a writer's medium, so it's down to the quality of the material you're working with more than anything else I'd say.

:)

Neil
02-Sep-2014, 08:55 PM
Fair enough, 3.15, 4.1 and 4.9 were good episodes... Will be interesting to see how he does with these S5 episodes!

Morto Vivente
03-Sep-2014, 06:20 PM

I find it surprising that you don't highly rate any of "Nicotero's episodes".

Personally I loved "Judge, Jury and Executioner", but then again I love "12 Angry Men". I found the living room scene rather compelling, particularly played against Dale's death.

As for "This Sorrowful Life", I feel that it and "Clear" are the best episodes of season 3. The walker convergence on Merle and Michonne was expertly handled by Nicotero IMO, not to mention Daryl's discovery of his brother's fate (although probably due to Reedus' acting skills, but still great).

Both the episodes from season 4 may be not as high caliber as the previous two, but IMO they still stand up against other episodes from season 4, except "Inmates", my personal favourite. Though as MZ said, I suppose the written material has a significant bearing on the quality of the end result.

The U.K. debut of TWD always seems to land on my birthday, so double celebration for me! :)

Legion2213
06-Sep-2014, 07:28 PM
Anyone fancy watching some new Walking Dead episodes next month?

Nah, I can't be arsed...

#horribleliar

:D

Moon Knight
17-Sep-2014, 03:01 AM
Really excited. I'm currently on "This Sorrowful Life" on my yearly TWD marathon before the new season starts. One of my favorite Walking Dead episodes for sure! Gimple's episodes are always my favorite.

Neil
17-Sep-2014, 10:29 AM
Really excited. I'm currently on "This Sorrowful Life" on my yearly TWD marathon before the new season starts. One of my favorite Walking Dead episodes for sure! Gimple's episodes are always my favorite.

http://lytherus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/0d2255971661b5c1d27add08ff0538fe.jpg

thxleo
18-Sep-2014, 01:58 AM
Unlike most of you guys I was not a fan of season 4, especially show-runner Scott Gimple. The whole season had this goofy esoteric style that I didn't care for at all and was very dull, IMO. But having said that I watched the season premiere today, episode 501 "No Sanctuary", and I was really impressed. Unlike nearly episode from last season this episode is nearly non-stop with action and it flies by. Greg directed it and he did an excellent job of keeping it fast paced and the opening scene is pretty brutal and graphic. Good start to the season. :)

Moon Knight
18-Sep-2014, 02:59 AM
http://lytherus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/0d2255971661b5c1d27add08ff0538fe.jpg

"You're cold as ice, Officer friendly."

Man, Rooker killed it as Merle. Going back and watching it from the start till now makes you look back and miss awesome characters like Merle and especially Shane.

Neil
18-Sep-2014, 09:25 AM

Man, Rooker killed it as Merle. Going back and watching it from the start till now makes you look back and miss awesome characters like Merle and especially Shane.

Turned on the TV last night and there was Days Of Thunder on!

facestabber
19-Sep-2014, 10:42 PM

Agreed. We have lost some damn good characters. Hershel goes without saying. But I too miss Shane. Would have been an interesting dynamic to see his evolution through the prison arc and The Gov. That filthy slut Lori had to screw these men up....hahaha.

Morto Vivente
24-Sep-2014, 04:08 PM
I miss Lori the most...only joking, although it does "take two to tango". I'd say the death and loss of Merle has had the most impact on me. Who do you think should die next?

Personally I feel either Glen or Maggie should go, preferably Maggie (it would put a spin on the comic book). It would also IMO deliver a "dramatic punch" relative to the reuniting of Glen and Maggie in the back half of season 4. Finally reunited, only to be separated permanently.

Trin
24-Sep-2014, 05:38 PM
I am looking forward to watching Season 4!

Yes, I haven't watched Season 4 yet. Which is also why I haven't been posting or reading here.

ProfessorChaos
24-Sep-2014, 11:01 PM
Unlike most of you guys I was not a fan of season 4, especially show-runner Scott Gimple. The whole season had this goofy esoteric style that I didn't care for at all and was very dull, IMO. But having said that I watched the season premiere today, episode 501 "No Sanctuary", and I was really impressed. Unlike nearly episode from last season this episode is nearly non-stop with action and it flies by. Greg directed it and he did an excellent job of keeping it fast paced and the opening scene is pretty brutal and graphic. Good start to the season. :)

i agree with you that season 4 didn't really hit the right notes for me....too many episodes that felt like pure filler. i am optimistic that season 5 will be an improvement, and hope they kill off at least one of the "untouchables" sometime early on to show how dangerous the new world of the dead really would be.

thxleo
25-Sep-2014, 01:00 AM
i agree with you that season 4 didn't really hit the right notes for me....too many episodes that felt like pure filler. i am optimistic that season 5 will be an improvement, and hope they kill off at least one of the "untouchables" sometime early on to show how dangerous the new world of the dead really would be.

Great way to put it: pure filler. That's all it was to me too, Professor. Lots of boring episodes of people walking through the woods having dull, uninteresting conversations. Not a fan of Gimple at all. But I was pleasantly surprised by this season opener. It's not perfect: there's a scene where one of the characters does something EXTREMELY out of character. But it's an emotional scene and some fans might like that. I found it unrealistic, but that's a minor complaint because the episode flies by with lots of action. Greg's on his game with this one!

Neil
25-Sep-2014, 09:53 AM
Great way to put it: pure filler. That's all it was to me too, Professor. Lots of boring episodes of people walking through the woods having dull, uninteresting conversations. Not a fan of Gimple at all. But I was pleasantly surprised by this season opener. It's not perfect: there's a scene where one of the characters does something EXTREMELY out of character. But it's an emotional scene and some fans might like that. I found it unrealistic, but that's a minor complaint because the episode flies by with lots of action. Greg's on his game with this one!

You've already seen S05E01? Lucky ****er :)

MoonSylver
25-Sep-2014, 03:04 PM
I'll be the voice of dissent, but I kinda liked how they bounced around from group to group after the prison, giving each character some face & character development time. :|

Moon Knight
26-Sep-2014, 12:10 AM
I'll be the voice of dissent, but I kinda liked how they bounced around from group to group after the prison, giving each character some face & character development time. :|

Me too. Big fan of Gimple and how he doesn't have anyone just stand in the background like Mazzara did. T-Dogg and Carol for example.

zomtom
26-Sep-2014, 05:02 AM
Within the last month, I've done a marathon of the entire series. I am so hyped for October 12th. I'm such a fanboy, I even enjoy the "not so good" episodes. Just recently turned my cousin onto the show. He's in the middle of season three and loving it. I wish I received royalties for turning people onto this show because I've done my share. I just hope the viewership continues to grow and the show goes on for many more seasons.

shootemindehead
26-Sep-2014, 07:22 AM
I watched the season premiere today, episode 501 "No Sanctuary"

How are you getting hold of that Lee?

Neil
26-Sep-2014, 08:37 AM
How are you getting hold of that Lee?I suspect from a certain friend of his, who has a small involvement in the series?

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2014, 10:22 AM

Aye. Personally I thought season 4 was the most consistent run of good/great episodes since season 1. Only "Still" (4x12, IIRC) was a bit of a dud. It felt much more balanced overall, too, so we got big action spectacles like 4x01's Big Spot raid or 4x08's fall of the prison, but we also got deep character studies like 4x14's The Grove (one of the best episodes of TWD in general IMO). I feel that Gimple 'gets' the source material more than Mazzara did, the latter of whom, I feel, let the balance tip too much towards the show, rather than Gimple's method of striking a balance between both the show as it's own thing and as an adaptation of the comics, which is the ideal in my view.

The fractured group dynamics of the back half of season four was interesting and gave us a lot of time with a variety of characters and nobody felt left out, unlike in previous seasons where certain characters got a bit sidelined. The balance was much better this time around giving everyone some good moments to call their own. Season four also felt much more thought out than season three, which had many great episodes, but undeniably weakened somewhat in the back half (where we could get all time greats like 3x12 and 3x15, but also all time duds like 3x14) - in season four there were arcs for each half, but also season-wide arcs that all paid off, and the moments of foreshadowing really worked for me.

To each their own though, I'm not looking to gang up on opinions to the contrary.

thxleo
26-Sep-2014, 12:20 PM
How are you getting hold of that Lee?

I have press credentials with AMC, which I've had since 2010 when the series first began. That's how I was able to secure interviews with Gale Anne Hurd, Jeffrey DeMunn, and Scott Wilson. I've also participated in press round tables at the NYC Comic Con in 2010 and 2012.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect from a certain friend of his, who has a small involvement in the series?

Not true at all, Neil. I get 0 assistance from Greg when it comes to the show. He's usually too busy to worry about anything otherwise.

Neil
26-Sep-2014, 12:22 PM
Not true at all, Neil. I get 0 assistance from Greg when it comes to the show. He's usually too busy to worry about anything otherwise.OK... Zero points for me then!

Moon Knight
27-Sep-2014, 03:00 AM
Aye. Personally I thought season 4 was the most consistent run of good/great episodes since season 1. Only "Still" (4x12, IIRC) was a bit of a dud. It felt much more balanced overall, too, so we got big action spectacles like 4x01's Big Spot raid or 4x08's fall of the prison, but we also got deep character studies like 4x14's The Grove (one of the best episodes of TWD in general IMO). I feel that Gimple 'gets' the source material more than Mazzara did, the latter of whom, I feel, let the balance tip too much towards the show, rather than Gimple's method of striking a balance between both the show as it's own thing and as an adaptation of the comics, which is the ideal in my view.

The fractured group dynamics of the back half of season four was interesting and gave us a lot of time with a variety of characters and nobody felt left out, unlike in previous seasons where certain characters got a bit sidelined. The balance was much better this time around giving everyone some good moments to call their own. Season four also felt much more thought out than season three, which had many great episodes, but undeniably weakened somewhat in the back half (where we could get all time greats like 3x12 and 3x15, but also all time duds like 3x14) - in season four there were arcs for each half, but also season-wide arcs that all paid off, and the moments of foreshadowing really worked for me.

To each their own though, I'm not looking to gang up on opinions to the contrary.

Right on, bro!

"The Grove" was really good. Such a heartbreak of an episode. Loved Joe's group, loved The Governor stories, Loved Hershel, loved Carol, loved so many things with the only exception being "Still", even tho, it had a great opening.

The back half worked for me but I just hope they leave that at season 4. I don't want an entire episode dedicated to Beth come season 5.

MinionZombie
27-Sep-2014, 10:17 AM
If the trailer for season five is a suggestion of the approach, then I think it'll be everyone together pretty much - although clearly Beth is still separated from the group.

Moon Knight
27-Sep-2014, 11:57 PM
although clearly Beth is still separated from the group.

And that's what I'm afraid of....

facestabber
28-Sep-2014, 04:10 PM
And that's what I'm afraid of....

Certainly cant say I am a Beth fan. She is rather dull and has little entertainment value for me. But by the clips shown I wont mind a small break from our groups story to see another societies survival techniques for this world. Now if it becomes a handful of episodes of Beth singing I'll be right there with you Moon.

Legion2213
03-Oct-2014, 07:23 PM
Certainly cant say I am a Beth fan. She is rather dull and has little entertainment value for me. But by the clips shown I wont mind a small break from our groups story to see another societies survival techniques for this world. Now if it becomes a handful of episodes of Beth singing I'll be right there with you Moon.

Yep, always loved it when they did this in the original BBC "Survivors" series.

One week to go people! Stock up on 357 ammo and crossbow bolts...'cause it's gonna get ugly! :D