PDA

View Full Version : Jack The Ripper identified - WOW!

Neil
08-Sep-2014, 09:25 AM
Well, if this is true... Wow! Supposedly it was Aaron Kosminski who was a prime suspect at the time!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746321/Jack-Ripper-unmasked-How-amateur-sleuth-used-DNA-breakthrough-identify-Britains-notorious-criminal-126-years-string-terrible-murders.html

shootemindehead
08-Sep-2014, 02:29 PM
A lot of people have reckoned that it was Kosminski, or one of several inmates that were incarcerated around the time that the killings stopped, for some time now.

Neil
08-Sep-2014, 04:01 PM
A lot of people have reckoned that it was Kosminski, or one of several inmates that were incarcerated around the time that the killings stopped, for some time now.

There was an american as well wasn't there on the list? He left the UK and the attacks stopped?

But anyway, amazingly, it seems we know for sure now!

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/90/9f/ed/909fed7ad4694b5ee295de63f91557ba.jpg

krisvds
08-Sep-2014, 05:19 PM
Damn. A shame we know, really.
I'm sticking with Alan Moore's From Hell version. Fantastic graphic novel.

MoonSylver
09-Sep-2014, 07:02 AM
Not a sure thing:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/was-it-aaron-kosminski-jack-ripper-dna-claims-get-ripped-n198506

That said, I've always thought Kosminski was a good suspect. But as with most things Ripper, not a sure thing. :|

Neil
09-Sep-2014, 07:30 AM
Not a sure thing:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/was-it-aaron-kosminski-jack-ripper-dna-claims-get-ripped-n198506

That said, I've always thought Kosminski was a good suspect. But as with most things Ripper, not a sure thing. :|

Seems fairly certain though surely?

shootemindehead
09-Sep-2014, 07:51 AM
There was an american as well wasn't there on the list? He left the UK and the attacks stopped?

But anyway, amazingly, it seems we know for sure now!

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/90/9f/ed/909fed7ad4694b5ee295de63f91557ba.jpg

Yep, a fella called Francis Tumblety. But, I'm not sure if anyone really suspected him on any solid grounds. But, he left for the US while he was under arrest for homosexual behavior. There's really nothing connecting him to the the ripper case though. He was merely monitored because he'd had some form and he'd previously been connected with the assassination of Lincoln.

In any case, though, all we have on Kosminski is that he knew one of the prostitutes that was murdered. It's not beyond the realms of reason that he may have been with Catherine Eddowes on or around the night that she was killed, but he may not have been her murderer. Prostitutes of the day would be with a fairly large number of men on a nightly basis, often using their first few threepenny bits fortifying themselves with large glasses of gin. 3 pence being the going rate for a "bangtail".

Kosminski wasn't permanently put away until 1891. The 5 ripper murders stopped in 1888. however there were a further 6 murders in the Whitechappel area, between November 1888 and the time that he was permanently incarcerated.

In short the jury is still out.

Neil
09-Sep-2014, 08:45 AM
Yep, a fella called Francis Tumblety. But, I'm not sure if anyone really suspected him on any solid grounds. But, he left for the US while he was under arrest for homosexual behavior. There's really nothing connecting him to the the ripper case though. He was merely monitored because he'd had some form and he'd previously been connected with the assassination of Lincoln.

In any case, though, all we have on Kosminski is that he knew one of the prostitutes that was murdered. It's not beyond the realms of reason that he may have been with Catherine Eddowes on or around the night that she was killed, but he may not have been her murderer. Prostitutes of the day would be with a fairly large number of men on a nightly basis, often using their first few threepenny bits fortifying themselves with large glasses of gin. 3 pence being the going rate for a "bangtail".

Kosminski wasn't permanently put away until 1891. The 5 ripper murders stopped in 1888. however there were a further 6 murders in the Whitechappel area, between November 1888 and the time that he was permanently incarcerated.

In short the jury is still out.

True, but a coicidence his semen on her scarf don't you think?

shootemindehead
09-Sep-2014, 10:25 AM
Perhaps. But, it can't really be taken as solid proof that Kosminski was the murderer of all the Whitechapel prostitutes (or even just one) and the probability that he may have slept (or more appropriately "used") Catherine Eddowes at one time or another is quite high as they revolved in circles of very close proximity and Eddowes had been on the streets for quite some time. She also operated around the Great Synagogue of London. So, it's not beyond reason that she may have solicited business from the Jews of the area, of which Kosminski easily could have been one.

Besides, there's one crucial element that is being left out in all this. Jack the Ripper did not take sexual pleasure from his victims. There were no signs of anything sexual at the crime scenes. If his crimes involved sexual release of some kind, then it would have been remarked upon in the other murders, especially in the case of Mary Kelly, with whom he'd spent the most time with.

Then again, Kellys body was so shredded, that it may have been impossible to tell for a 19th Century police force.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/05/6e/5a/056e5ae98dbd9e1ee503abac8d5aaf44.jpg

Neil
09-Sep-2014, 10:34 AM
^^ Surely we can agree who ever did that apears to be utterly insane? Where did Kosminski end up? :)

shootemindehead
09-Sep-2014, 11:38 AM
As yes, but David Cohen also ended up in the nuthouse and closer to the date that Jack stopped his ripping.

James Kelly, another suspect, escaped from an asylum, in 1888, at the time murders started.

Frankly, there needs to be more evidence provided before anyone can point the finger and be 100% sure and that's never really going to happen. Either way the shawl, which would be quite a "la-di-da" item for a 19th prostitute to have, hasn't been peer reviewed and the owner of the shawl (and "Ripper museum" proprietor) is in the middle of writing a book.

So, I'll reserve judgement.

Neil
09-Sep-2014, 11:50 AM
As yes, but David Cohen also ended up in the nuthouse and closer to the date that Jack stopped his ripping.

James Kelly, another suspect, escaped from an asylum, in 1888, at the time murders started.

Frankly, there needs to be more evidence provided before anyone can point the finger and be 100% sure and that's never really going to happen. Either way the shawl, which would be quite a "la-di-da" item for a 19th prostitute to have, hasn't been peer reviewed and the owner of the shawl (and "Ripper museum" proprietor) is in the middle of writing a book.

So, I'll reserve judgement.

Fair point(s)!

MoonSylver
09-Sep-2014, 02:53 PM
Seems fairly certain though surely?

Not really. Read the article. The DNA evidence is not as conclusive as they would lead you to believe.

blind2d
09-Sep-2014, 04:35 PM
Argh, we'll just never know! I wish people would just drop it... I mean yeah, it's a cool story and everything, but is it really that important to identify the guy? Isn't it just more fun if it's left a mystery?

krisvds
09-Sep-2014, 04:52 PM
Argh, we'll just never know! I wish people would just drop it... I mean yeah, it's a cool story and everything, but is it really that important to identify the guy? Isn't it just more fun if it's left a mystery?

I concur!