PDA

View Full Version : The most remade movie ever?

OddDNA
16-Jul-2006, 09:37 PM
Might the new 3D make NOTLD the most remade move ever? I guess along with King Kong.

I has to hold the record for most times remade since year of release...it is remade like every 13 years lol.

Danny
16-Jul-2006, 10:09 PM
no i think that title belongs to 'i am legends' many inspired films,which includes that very film.:cool:

axlish
16-Jul-2006, 10:29 PM
Dracula and Romeo and Juliet come to mind immediately.

creepntom
16-Jul-2006, 11:34 PM
http://ask.yahoo.com/20050707.html

it's from over a yr ago, but it gives you an idea

HLS
17-Jul-2006, 12:02 AM
Dracula and Romeo and Juliet come to mind immediately.

Ya, dracula.

MaximusIncredulous
17-Jul-2006, 01:01 AM
Halloween was copied to death.

coma
17-Jul-2006, 01:05 AM
As far as a remake, I would think that would exclude book/story adaptations, because thats just a new version of the story. Though that is debatable.
NOTLD is going to be 2 remakes, but ther have to be more..
Somehting obvious is going to pop up

DeadCentral
17-Jul-2006, 01:18 AM
Actually... the MOST remade movie in Hollywood:

Dr.Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde
...look it up, it's been re-done in 20 different ways under different titles and from different character perspectives but it is indeed been re-done more than any dracula, wolfman, or frankenstein film...or any other film in horror .

MikePizzoff
17-Jul-2006, 11:22 AM
Might the new 3D make NOTLD the most remade move ever? I guess along with King Kong.

I has to hold the record for most times remade since year of release...it is remade like every 13 years lol.

Between '68 and '90 it was 22 years. '90 to '06 is 16.

EvilNed
17-Jul-2006, 01:41 PM
The biggest movie franchise is Godzilla.

The fictional hero who's been in most films is Sherlock Holmes (There's over a 100).

Also, you mention King Kong and Night of the Living Dead as being remade twice.

There's a film that had been remade once before King Kong was even a concept, and twice before George Romero even began thinking about Night of the Living Dead.

It's Ben Hur, of course.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like there's a made-for-TV animated remake of Ben Hur. I guess that means it's been remade three times.

bassman
17-Jul-2006, 02:08 PM
The biggest movie franchise is Godzilla.

Really? How many "Godzilla" films are there? I always thought that the "007" series was the biggest/longest running franchise....

There's a film that had been remade once before King Kong was even a concept, and twice before George Romero even began thinking about Night of the Living Dead.

Not entirely. The original "Ben Hur:A Tale of the Christ" was released in 1925. The original "King Kong" was 1933. The "Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ" remake(the one that everyone knows - starring Charlton Heston) was in 1959.

Mike70
17-Jul-2006, 02:25 PM
the hound of the baskervilles has been remade at least 16 times since 1932- both for the theater and tv.

AcesandEights
17-Jul-2006, 02:40 PM
the hound of the baskervilles has been remade at least 16 times since 1932- both for the theater and tv.

Wow! That's a pretty cool fact.

I'd also have to add Robin Hood and Frankenstein, those are 2 stories that just keep getting told.

OddDNA
17-Jul-2006, 08:27 PM
Most remade film....

Dracula, Romeo and Juliet started as books, I know I should have been more clear. (Books I think tend to be redone more because when you read a book you get imagery independant to you and no film captures what you have seen with your minds eye, a film on the other hand your first exposure to it you see it the same way as every other movie goer)

Godzilla and 007 doesnt count because they are not remaking the film as much as reusing the characters.

So all that being said in 38 Years NOTLD has been released 3 times with roughly the same storyline (I didnt read the 3d one yet but I think it goes along the same plot) I cant think of another movie that was remade more times per year.

DeadCentral
18-Jul-2006, 02:01 AM
Good topic, OddDNA, makes everyone actually think about it...Dr.J & Mr. H started out as a short novel too... lots of good answers here..I never even thought of Hound of the Baskervilles....

EvilNed
19-Jul-2006, 08:29 AM
Really? How many "Godzilla" films are there? I always thought that the "007" series was the biggest/longest running franchise....

I think there's 23 japanese Godzilla films. 20 007 ones. If you count Never Say Never Again, there's 21.

Not entirely. The original "Ben Hur:A Tale of the Christ" was released in 1925. The original "King Kong" was 1933. The "Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ" remake(the one that everyone knows - starring Charlton Heston) was in 1959.

Not true. The film released in 1925 was not the original, but a remake of an even earlier film from 1907. So Ben Hur had already been remade once before King Kong was released. The Charlton Heston film was the second remake.

Guru ofthe Dead
20-Jul-2006, 07:31 AM
Don't forget that Phantom of the Opera has been remade several times. As well as Frankenstein. If I remember correctly though Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is the most remade movie ever. I think I saw this on Sci-Fi. Remember it started as a silent movie.

EvilNed
20-Jul-2006, 09:48 AM
Don't forget that Phantom of the Opera has been remade several times. As well as Frankenstein. If I remember correctly though Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is the most remade movie ever. I think I saw this on Sci-Fi. Remember it started as a silent movie.

Both Phantom of the Opera and Frankenstein are adaptions of a book, tho. As is Drk. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of course.

Guru ofthe Dead
21-Jul-2006, 05:17 AM
Both Phantom of the Opera and Frankenstein are adaptions of a book, tho. As is Drk. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of course.
TuChe TuChe my friend you are correct. They all have been around for a long time. Oh yeah Bram Stoker's Dracula I almost forgot that one. Everyone has done that stint.

Omega
23-Jul-2006, 02:50 AM
I don't count adaptataions of novels or short stories when it comes to this. All the different versions of Dracula or Frankenstein are just new adaptations, not remakes of the same specific film.

I heard somewhere that the Maltese Falcon with Bogart was actually the 14th version of the original story done as a film. I've only heard of one earlier version, from the early 30's with Dwight Frye.

I wouldn't count anything adapted from a book more than once as remade. Now, re-doing a story that started out as a film (such as NOTLD or King Kong) would be a remake.

Eyebiter
23-Jul-2006, 08:31 AM
The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

Big-game hunter targets human beings on his remote island. Many films have been made using the same type of plot including Run for the Sun, Predator, and Hard Target.

OddDNA
23-Jul-2006, 03:13 PM
The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

Big-game hunter targets human beings on his remote island. Many films have been made using the same type of plot including Run for the Sun, Predator, and Hard Target.

I think The most Dangerous Game was a book 1st, I know I read it in school and I think it was pre 1932.

2nd and more importantly using the same type of plot is not a remake, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If that is the case Halloween is the most remade movie ever lol. Pure nonsense.

Sorry for the attack, I just needed to get it out of my system.

So...what is a remake....

Hmm...title is not really important...An affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle.

Hmm...Characters maybe? IF that is the case The Thing is not a remake of The Thing (Is it really a remake?)

Hmm...important plot points? Maybe Than NOTLD 90 is not a Remake of NOTLD 68 missing some pretty big plot points at the end.

Hmm...Maybe they have to give the nod "based on a story by..." or "based on Characters of..." than would mean Rosenkrantz and Gilenstern are dead is not a remake of Hamlet.

Ehhh.....a little help....

coma
23-Jul-2006, 04:09 PM
I think The most Dangerous Game was a book 1st, I know I read it in school and I think it was pre 1932.
A short story