PDA

View Full Version : We are being attacked by bugs!!

Debbieangel
17-Jul-2006, 03:20 AM
Where I live down by the river there a bunch of "Mayflies" bugs. Last night they shut down the bridge downtown cause there were soo many of them... With the weather we have had this year they are really bad. We get them every year. You should see how weird it is..the downtown Sheetz store windows were covered in those bugs...when you drive over them it gets real slick thats why they closed bridge to clean it up. I just thought ya might think it interesting.

MapMan
17-Jul-2006, 03:30 AM
I hate bugs. We have a little bastard here killing our Hemlock trees the hemlock woolly adelgid. Pine Beetles wiped out the pines 5 years ago.

Exatreides
17-Jul-2006, 03:38 AM
was going jogging at shanklin park here in town...and it was right by the river.

needless to say i was attacked by swarm after swarm of mosquito's. it was crazy.

dawn of the dead type ****... they just kept coming... and i couldn't run fast enough. I think i lost a pint of f*in blood. i still itch, and that was two weeks ago.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jul-2006, 03:46 AM
Where I live down by the river there a bunch of "Mayflies" bugs. Last night they shut down the bridge downtown cause there were soo many of them... With the weather we have had this year they are really bad. We get them every year. You should see how weird it is..the downtown Sheetz store windows were covered in those bugs...when you drive over them it gets real slick thats why they closed bridge to clean it up. I just thought ya might think it interesting.

That happened in a town in PA i used to live in sometime ago. They closed down the Market Street Bridge because it was covered, and they closed it down quite a bit until the bugs finally subsided with the use of extreme pesticides.

Debbie
17-Jul-2006, 03:53 AM
A couple of years back here in Texas we got attacked by mobs of crickets.
Big black ugly crickets, they were all over everything and they stunk.

When you walked to go into the store they would hop at you it made you want to scream.

Cody
17-Jul-2006, 04:13 AM
i hate spiders. fk spiders.

Debbieangel
17-Jul-2006, 04:17 AM
That happened in a town in PA i used to live in sometime ago. They closed down the Market Street Bridge because it was covered, and they closed it down quite a bit until the bugs finally subsided with the use of extreme pesticides.

OOOOOH MY GOODNESS!! YOU LIVED HERE!!!! Thats it they call it Citizens bridge n ow after they fixed up the park... You know the name of the town named after the Indians...Hey were you here when they made the movie "Mothman Prophecies"???? Right downtown!!!! I actually saw Richard Gere on a side street...they started filming that March and we had an unusual cold spell..freezing cold. Downtown had to keep up the Christmas decorations for the movie.
I wanted to be an extra but didnt make the call.ooh well it was fun going down and watching blocks away TRYING to get a glimpse of the movie making. I love that behind the scenes stuff. woww I am rambling again lol...

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jul-2006, 04:43 AM
OOOOOH MY GOODNESS!! YOU LIVED HERE!!!! Thats it they call it Citizens bridge n ow after they fixed up the park... You know the name of the town named after the Indians...Hey were you here when they made the movie "Mothman Prophecies"???? Right downtown!!!! I actually saw Richard Gere on a side street...they started filming that March and we had an unusual cold spell..freezing cold. Downtown had to keep up the Christmas decorations for the movie.
I wanted to be an extra but didnt make the call.ooh well it was fun going down and watching blocks away TRYING to get a glimpse of the movie making. I love that behind the scenes stuff. woww I am rambling again lol...

Well Mothman was shot in Pittsburgh, I lived in Wilkes-Barre Scranton PA which has a bridge called Market Street Bridge.

MaximusIncredulous
17-Jul-2006, 07:17 AM

Look on the bright side, according to this site:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2166.html

they say that Mayflies are "an indicator of clean water and a healthy environment."

Neil
17-Jul-2006, 09:12 AM
Funny you should mention this...

A friend of mine moved to Australia a few months back. I heard from her over the weekend and she mentioned that last week she'd been getting dressed and as she put on a jumper she felt a prick/sting in her arm.

She immediately took off her top and out crawled a spider - in her description - as big as her fist, which in reality means prob 3-4 inches :) But still big enough :eek:

She look at her arm, and could see towards her shoulder two clear marks where she'd been bitten. Her arm was getting a big rash around the bites and she could feel tingling up and down her arm.

Of course her first reaction was, 'how long have I got?'

She phoned around some friends and described the spider and was told it was most likely a "huntsman" which are not dangerous and "don't bite" (except for this one!)

Luckily the symptoms disappeared, but of course she's now (unsurprisingly) paranoid about putting on any clothes! (Please no male orientated jokes!)

ps: The spider met its end in true "girly" fashion at the wrong end of a can of hair spray!

Debbieangel
17-Jul-2006, 03:46 PM
Well Mothman was shot in Pittsburgh, I lived in Wilkes-Barre Scranton PA which has a bridge called Market Street Bridge.
Some scenes were filmed in Pittsburgh! But alot of it was filmed right down in my little town which looks alot like Mt. Pleasant W.Va.
They closed some streets down and again closed the bridge for a day or two...the bridge in the movie looks like our bridge but CGI put the top of it different. It was cool they made town look bland...they painted over the names of signs on store fronts. They put alot more traffic an d people traveling and walking along in town. Its funny seeing our town alot in the movie. Oh, and they filmed of course in Mt. Pleasant too.
So, I can see some of the work you had to do to make your movie DJ.
Do you think you could make some DVD's for us here to buy from you for us on this here site? Just an idea!
Anyway, all the luck or whatever it takes for your film to get the recognization it deserves. I hope ya win an award that you can show us here!!!!:)

Danny
17-Jul-2006, 05:00 PM
damn its the reverse over here, i saw on the news some bugs like bumble bees are goin' extinct cus of global warming.

tju1973
17-Jul-2006, 05:02 PM
A couple of years back here in Texas we got attacked by mobs of crickets.
Big black ugly crickets, they were all over everything and they stunk.

When you walked to go into the store they would hop at you it made you want to scream.

There were piles of those little b#stards-- fn stunk to high heck too...

:mad:

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 06:01 PM
found this on Livejournal.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_story.php?wfo=arx&storyid=2952&source=0

Large Mayfly Hatch Caught on Radar Friday June 30th

A large mayfly hatch occurred along the Mississippi River Friday evening, June 30th. The hatch began just after sundown, around 9 PM, and continued through the early morning hours. Those with plans outdoors Friday evening on and along the Mississippi River certainly noticed the huge swarm of mayflies, and their attraction to light. Some roads across the Mississippi River in and around La Crosse were covered with bugs, piling into "drifts" on bridges over the Mississippi River and its tributaries. Local businesses with high intensity lighting soon found large piles of dead mayflies accumulating under the lights by midnight. Below is a radar loop from the National Weather Service’s WSR-88D Doppler Radar in La Crosse. Notice the rapid increase in radar echoes along the Mississippi River channel...occurring simultaneously the entire length of the channel. The ambient wind flow was from the south on Friday evening, with the entire swarm of mayflies drifting north with time. The radar loop starts just before 9 PM CDT and ends around 1030 PM CDT.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/Image/arx/Mayfly%20Hatch_June30_2006/Mayflyhatch_July12006.gif

AcesandEights
17-Jul-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks p2501, aside from being really interesting, that little graphic will have me itching for the rest of the day.

I can't believe a flight of bugs could shgut down a bridge--that's a **** load of bugs!

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm here to help.

my advice is to go online and find schematics on how to build your own flame thrower. it's cheap, easy, and marginally safe.

AcesandEights
17-Jul-2006, 06:27 PM
my advice is to go online and find schematics on how to build your own flame thrower...

Pfffft. Like I didn't already have it bookmarked (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1107178&perpage=40&pagenumber=1) ;)

HLS
17-Jul-2006, 06:34 PM
One summer I was visiting Pittsburgh I decided to walk a path deep in the woods far from home. I was hearing what i thought was rain, but the sky was clear. I was also feeling things hitting me. I put my hand on my hair and I pulled out a handful of caterpillars! then I looked down and they were all over me, in my shirt and all. I freaked! We had a massive infestation of the gypsy moth i think. They were all over and the noise that sounded like rain was caterpillars falling from the trees. These ****ers were everywhere. I always thought caterpillars were cute but when they are all over you it is not so cute. I ran home as fast as i can.

coma
17-Jul-2006, 09:14 PM
In the late 70s, Early 80s there were millions og Gypsy Moths. Some many the streets were green with catapillar guts. Super Nasty.
And the Asian Longhorn Beetles. There would be 1-200 on a single outdoor light bulb.

Adrenochrome
17-Jul-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks p2501, aside from being really interesting, that little graphic will have me itching for the rest of the day.

I can't believe a flight of bugs could shgut down a bridge--that's a **** load of bugs!
I've been around swarms of those 7 year cicada things.....you literally have to wear ear protection to go outside. Very common in the Nashville, Tn area.

bassman
17-Jul-2006, 09:44 PM
I know what you guys need.

John Goodman with a blowtorch.

Debbieangel
19-Jul-2006, 06:58 PM
I know what you guys need.

John Goodman with a blowtorch.

BRING IT ON!!! for spiders and pinch bugs(earwigs) too!

bassman
19-Jul-2006, 07:09 PM
BRING IT ON!!! for spiders and pinch bugs(earwigs) too!

I'm surprised anyone got that reference:)