PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! TWD 5x06 "Consumed" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

MinionZombie
16-Nov-2014, 11:02 AM
Please keep all talk of episode 5x06 "Consumed" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Episode 506: “Consumed” – “Stakes are high when members of the group must go on a rescue mission in a familiar location.”

Directed by: Seith Mann, Written by: Matthew Negrete & Corey Reed

http://c534909.r9.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Walking-Dead-506-02.jpg

Legion2213
16-Nov-2014, 12:24 PM
The Slab towners picked the wrong person to try and bully into servitude/submissiveness. Carroll has been there, got the t-shirt and stoved it's head in with a pick axe!

Hoping the confrontation/rescue won't see the slab town group wiped out though, Dawn isn't evil, she has ditched her moral compass (who hasn't at one timeor another in this universe), but I think she is salvageable.

MoonSylver
17-Nov-2014, 02:17 AM
Dug this episode. Not a ton of action, but the quiet moments were good. McBride & Reedus have a quiet chemistry that is compelling. The scene where they were standing looking out the window at the ruins of Atlanta talking gave me a very "Dawn, after the mall is taken" vibe. The bridge scene was crazy. Everything is falling into place about like I expected, but it's nice to see the blanks get filled in.

Their conversation at the window raise one of the first "new" ethics/morality-type questions I've gotten out of the show, at least in a while:

Carol listed a litany of all the people she's been, and how each of them has been burned away as circumstances have changed. Daryl reassures her "we ain't just ashes".

My instinctive reply (in my head) was "ain't we?" :rockbrow:

How much can a person go through, how much can they change, as the result of trauma, before all that's left is "ashes", the burned out ruins of a human being? :rockbrow:

Doc
17-Nov-2014, 10:03 AM
I have mixed reactions to this episode.

On one hand, I enjoyed the trek through a urban setting with the threat of walkers lurking around every corner and the exploration of the ominous and silent dead city. It was a nostalgic trip in a way. Bringing back the spectacular the scope and epicness of the first season. The opening with Carol was a promising prelude and the initial chase to follow some of the 'Slabtown' folk was grabbing.

The other side, completely hates how both the beginning and end of this episode were completely dependent on incredible and implausible coincidences for the plot to even go further. And the worst aspect being, the interaction and dialogue between Daryl and Carol that once again presents anti-naturalistic dialogue and jacked-up soap melodrama that Walking Dead still occasionally loves to indulge in.

Also, I hope this episode isn't a setup to Carol's demise. Seriously, it almost seems to be telegraphing it....

MinionZombie
17-Nov-2014, 03:44 PM
Totally dug this episode. Excellent Carol/Daryl stuff, really good themes, nice to see the back-and-forth filling in some gaps in Carol's story. Cool walker kills, numerous chilling moments (e.g. the mother and daughter walkers that must have been hiding out - as humans - in that crisis shelter when the shit went down) ... Daryl taking the book on surviving child abuse ... the stuff about 'burning away' the different versions of yourself ... the walkway camp site (IIRC that was an element from the first tie-in TWD novel "Rise of The Governor") ... lots of awesome stuff in this episode.

Great to see an urban setting, too - visual callbacks to the infamous way into Atlanta, as well as Rick's tank - interesting to get a verticality to proceedings. Different textures, different obstacles, different ways of surviving and fighting, and interesting to see that only parts of Atlanta got bombed out.

Although I disagree with Doc on the 'convenience' factor. The prison gets set alight and it'll make a big smoke plume; Carol's nearby so she's going to spot it sooner or later, and considering there's few people living in the vicinity - and the smoke is in the direction of the prison - it's highly possible that it's the prison. You're not going to just stay in the office building and not investigate. As for her getting hit by the car (I'm assuming these are the two things you took issue with, Doc?) - it's just a pure accident - that car's roaming the streets, she's in a rush to cross, she didn't look both ways before she crossed, the occupants are probably paying more attention to everywhere around them rather than directly in front of them at all times, so the probability of hitting Carol rises.

One irk for me though - the van fall - I loved the scene but the physics are screwed up. The van would have landed on it's roof because it was front-heavy with the engine and two adults, and there was no weight in the back ... and, not having a roll cage or anything, it would have flattened considerably ... however I'm willing to overlook that as we so often see wonky physics in film/tv, and it did allow us to have that super cool moment after a few seconds of silence when the walkers just started tumbling down and splatting on top of the van.

So it looks like we're getting a hospital show-down for the finale, which should be jolly good fun ... but I would like for us to then get the group together ... while I don't particularly mind, this has been three episodes without Rick or Michonne or a bunch of others ... but then again we're rewinding time to show simultaneous events that were happening elsewhere, so it's the only way to do that, but I would like for the back half of season five to bring everyone back together again ... ... although, again, that said, they were together for the first three episodes so it's not totally split up. It'll be nice to see the group all pulling in the same direction sometime soon, though. The biggest problem with having everyone together though is finding enough time to let everyone shine, to get in some back stories, and to not let the biggest characters take all the screentime away from the smaller characters (remember how T-Dog got sidelined in season two).

- - - Updated - - -

The more I think about it, the more I enjoyed it. Reedus and McBride have fantastic chemistry on-screen. :)

TWD 5x06 Memes:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/road-safety-edition-walking-dead-5x06.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iIUdZXcgRIg/VGoiuav69fI/AAAAAAAADVE/02FVOeP6XzM/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_5x06_Daryl_Carol_Ar t_Appreciation_With_Daryl_Dixon_Dog_Ass_Paint_Wipe _DeadShed.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2fVDSOuyGI8/VGoiyzyxqgI/AAAAAAAADVU/CcgRzynH2XE/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_5x06_Daryl_Carol_Lo ok_Both_Ways_Cross_Street_Car_Run_Over_DeadShed.jp g

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x6xWmG6wfPc/VGoi0rYClFI/AAAAAAAADVc/xh09MPrAoQQ/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_5x06_Daryl_Carol_No ah_Smoking_Bad_Health_So_Is_Stealing_Crossbow_Dead Shed.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xr8UFWM3Tq8/VGoiwUa0gAI/AAAAAAAADVM/2LkUZ77ikVs/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_5x06_Daryl_Carol_Bu rning_The_Bodies_So_You_Dont_Have_To_DeadShed.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--PL-r913LMs/VGojCu5_TDI/AAAAAAAADVk/cfy0GFjO-W4/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_5x06_Carol_Somebody _Started_A_Fire_Without_Me_DeadShed.jpg

:)

MoonSylver
17-Nov-2014, 03:57 PM
One irk for me though - the van fall - I loved the scene but the physics are screwed up. The van would have landed on it's roof because it was front-heavy with the engine and two adults, and there was no weight in the back ... and, not having a roll cage or anything, it would have flattened considerably ... however I'm willing to overlook that as we so often see wonky physics in film/tv, and it did allow us to have that super cool moment after a few seconds of silence when the walkers just started tumbling down and splatting on top of the van.

Yeah, that was the only complaint I had as well, & I couldn't quite put my finger on why, other than it landed SO precisely flat, but that was it. I imagine that was a hard enough gag to pull off as it was (particularly on a TV budget), so I wrote it off in my mind that it did a 360 roll in the air as it fell. ;)

The other might be the car hit at the end, but meh. :|

And yeah, the walker rain was awesome. :)

MinionZombie
17-Nov-2014, 04:45 PM
I watched the making of featurette on AMC's YouTube channel, and the van stunt went wrong the first time - they wanted for it to land on the wheels, but it tipped even with the adaptations they made to it, so they had to do a second take where they used a crane holding the van up in the air, hence why it lands so flatly on the ground. There seemed to be a slight tilt, but it would have been nice for more of a tilt forward, but still landing on it's wheels - but I guess when you're having to bash these episodes out in, what, a mere eight days then you've gotta get the shot or not get it at all, so little things have to be sacrificed to avoid having a big black hole in your edit.

Looking at the bit where Carol got run over - it seems to be a pedestrian zone (red brick underfoot, bollards etc) - so you wouldn't necessarily be thinking that a car would be coming like you would with a normal road, even in the zombie apocalypse.

Another thing I really dug with this episode was a sense of spatial familiarity - not just the visuals from season one (Rick's tank, the road into the city ... and apparently Merle's rooftop was in there as well as the fence Rick & Co cut through when they go back for Merle, but I didn't initially notice those last two on my first run-through) - where was I? Oh yeah ... but also in terms of the city being familiar to the characters (e.g. the help centre that Carol had been to before the apocalypse), so they're able to use real-world knowledge of the area to help themselves. I dug that, it's a small detail, but I dug it.

Also nice that we could actually see what the hell was going on and it wasn't shrouded in complete pitch darkness. :p ;) :D :lol:

Trancelikestate
17-Nov-2014, 06:26 PM
Van physics aside, I hate to say it, but I doubt our hero's would be walking away from that fall AT ALL. At the very least a fall from that height in a vehicle would compress the hell out of your vertebrae and at most break numerous bones and or just snap your spinal cord entirely. It was a cool stunt and because it's fiction I'll let it go but one thing I do as I watch this show or any other thing for that matter is I think what I would do and what the realistic options would be. Taking the van to the ground wasn't one of them. Def an awesome episode though. I had a feeling coming back through the pad locked doors gun first was a bad idea haha.

UndeadHippo
17-Nov-2014, 08:04 PM
Hey all, been lurking here for a while. finally decided to join up and contribute.

nice to see our heroes' great track record with vehicle accidents continues in this ep, as Darryl and Carol manage to crash a stationary van. Also, did Darryl really just stick that crossbow bolt in his mouth straight after pulling it free from the pinned up walker? Tasty.

AcesandEights
17-Nov-2014, 08:16 PM
I really enjoyed this episode. A good mix of action, exploration, personal drama and conversation. The cityscape at night with all the walkers was nice and scary.

nice to see our heroes' great track record with vehicle accidents continues in this ep, as Darryl and Carol manage to crash a stationary van.

:lol: Well played!

MoonSylver
17-Nov-2014, 09:24 PM
I watched the making of featurette on AMC's YouTube channel, and the van stunt went wrong the first time - they wanted for it to land on the wheels, but it tipped even with the adaptations they made to it, so they had to do a second take where they used a crane holding the van up in the air, hence why it lands so flatly on the ground. There seemed to be a slight tilt, but it would have been nice for more of a tilt forward, but still landing on it's wheels - but I guess when you're having to bash these episodes out in, what, a mere eight days then you've gotta get the shot or not get it at all, so little things have to be sacrificed to avoid having a big black hole in your edit.

Yeah, I figured they probably hoisted it on a crane & dropped it. Interesting that they'd tried it a different way & couldn't get it to come out right. So my feeling of cutting some slack: confirmed. ;)

Looking at the bit where Carol got run over - it seems to be a pedestrian zone (red brick underfoot, bollards etc) - so you wouldn't necessarily be thinking that a car would be coming like you would with a normal road, even in the zombie apocalypse.

Interesting & fair enough point. I was thinking more in terms of the coincidence of the timing, but since they were out prowling about looking for Noah, maybe they were sitting down the street, saw someone coming out & gunned it, looking to hit him? Who knows. Minor niggle I won't fuss over, really. :)

Another thing I really dug with this episode was a sense of spatial familiarity - not just the visuals from season one (Rick's tank, the road into the city ... and apparently Merle's rooftop was in there as well as the fence Rick & Co cut through when they go back for Merle, but I didn't initially notice those last two on my first run-through) - where was I? Oh yeah ... but also in terms of the city being familiar to the characters (e.g. the help centre that Carol had been to before the apocalypse), so they're able to use real-world knowledge of the area to help themselves. I dug that, it's a small detail, but I dug it.

I didn't catch any of that. Everything was moving too quick. :lol:

Also nice that we could actually see what the hell was going on and it wasn't shrouded in complete pitch darkness. :p ;) :D :lol:

That I have to disagree on. The night shots were as black as the inside of a baboon's asshole in a coalmine (just...trust me on this: I know things...). I'm getting seriously tired of a DP that can't light night shooting for dick. Get a frigging day for night lens & shoot at high noon if you can't do better than this for fucks sake. At least then I could see what's going on. :annoyed::rant:

Van physics aside, I hate to say it, but I doubt our hero's would be walking away from that fall AT ALL. At the very least a fall from that height in a vehicle would compress the hell out of your vertebrae and at most break numerous bones and or just snap your spinal cord entirely. It was a cool stunt and because it's fiction I'll let it go but one thing I do as I watch this show or any other thing for that matter is I think what I would do and what the realistic options would be. Taking the van to the ground wasn't one of them. Def an awesome episode though. I had a feeling coming back through the pad locked doors gun first was a bad idea haha.

Yeah, as much as I dug the stunt, it's straining at the limits of my credibility. But, like you, I'm willing to give a little for the sake of fiction. :)

Hey all, been lurking here for a while. finally decided to join up and contribute.

nice to see our heroes' great track record with vehicle accidents continues in this ep, as Darryl and Carol manage to crash a stationary van.

:lol: Takes a certain level of skill to do that. :D

Also, did Darryl really just stick that crossbow bolt in his mouth straight after pulling it free from the pinned up walker? Tasty.

I thought of that too. At least he's gripping it in the middle, but still, I wouldn't want the nasty ass thing near my mouth. Not the first time he's done it either. Still, this is the guy who eats possum & killed a man over road kill...:lol:

BTW, welcome. :)

facestabber
17-Nov-2014, 09:34 PM

nice to see our heroes' great track record with vehicle accidents continues in this ep, as Darryl and Carol manage to crash a stationary van. Also, did Darryl really just stick that crossbow bolt in his mouth straight after pulling it free from the pinned up walker? Tasty.

Welcome aboard. I lurked for a long time as well before joining. This is a great place to post and read. Good call on crashing stationary van. Gotta admit it can be amazing that our survivors continue to survive at times.
I enjoyed this episode. Two great characters. Got a lot more but am so sick I don't have energy at this time

shootemindehead
17-Nov-2014, 09:49 PM
Great episode. Was watching when playing DayZ and I got blasted...so F you Carol'n'Daryl!!!!!! :mad:

But, yeh...the van. Fkn 'ell.

Really like the way Carol's character has journeyed, if I can use such a bleeding awful term.

Morto Vivente
17-Nov-2014, 09:59 PM
Good episode, I usually like the exploration episodes, and the dead-cityscapes after 3 seasons of mostly rural settings was a welcome change. Carol still carrying a copy of Tom Sawyer around was also a nice touch.

My problem with Carol's accident is the fact that you'd most likely hear a car approaching a mile off, or even just the engine running, bearing in mind that the city is a ghost-town. Still, not enough to spoil a quality episode. :)

AcesandEights
17-Nov-2014, 10:46 PM
But, yeh...the van. Fkn 'ell.

Yeah, the van was a bad bit. Not a bad set piece idea...though definitely unnecessary, but I agree with what most have said earlier in this thread. Trancelikestate typed most of what went through my mind, almost word for word, when I watched that scene play out.

Nevertheless, a well executed episode, and at least I know they adfmitted to having issues pulling off the van drop the way it was meant to go down.

I had a feeling coming back through the pad locked doors gun first was a bad idea haha.

Oh, hell yeah...and she didn't even really do a proper look first. :duh:

Moon Knight
17-Nov-2014, 10:56 PM
A very nice touch was how Daryl grabbed himself that copy of the child abuse guide. Some deep stuff was displayed in this episode. Notice how smoke is affiliated with Carol and fire is affiliated with Daryl? That's no coincidence.

MoonSylver
17-Nov-2014, 11:19 PM
I had a feeling coming back through the pad locked doors gun first was a bad idea haha.

I forgot to comment on that one. but they telegraphed it a bit: as soon as they were going IN I thought (as I'm sure you guys did too) "they're gonna get ambushed when they come back through". :)

UndeadHippo
18-Nov-2014, 12:17 AM
I forgot to comment on that one. but they telegraphed it a bit: as soon as they were going IN I thought (as I'm sure you guys did too) "they're gonna get ambushed when they come back through". :)

They were just lucky it wasn't walkers.

Walkers trapped in sleeping bags are almost pathetically hilarious.

How come walker claws have been shown to shred even tough materials with relative ease, but can't escape a thin nylon tent?

Overall, this felt like a giant flashback setup. we knew Darryl would wind up back at the church, and Carol in Slabtown. this is just moving the pieces on the board ready for the mid-season showdown.

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2014, 09:48 AM

Welcome aboard, UH.

Great episode. Was watching when playing DayZ and I got blasted...so F you Carol'n'Daryl!!!!!! :mad:

Playing a videogame at the same time as watching a TV show?!

*head explodes*

Not paying enough attention to either trying to do both at the same time, it's your own damn fault you got blasted in DayZ. :lol: :D :p

Yep, same here, I thought something was going to happen and the way she was reversing in on the way back I was just waiting for the ambush, hehe. To be fair, they weren't aware of any living people in the vicinity - aside from some vague hunt for the white cross brigade somewhere within the city - but at the same time it's a silly mistake they made. It worked out, sort of, in the end though ... however, even practiced survivors will drop their vigilence at some moments. Sometimes you'll be fine, other times you'll suffer the consequences.

shootemindehead
18-Nov-2014, 12:21 PM
Playing a videogame at the same time as watching a TV show?!

*head explodes*

Not paying enough attention to either trying to do both at the same time, it's your own damn fault you got blasted in DayZ. :lol: :D :p.

Ya see, that way, I haven't a clue what's going on in anything.

oh...wait a sec.

I don't have enough hours in the evening to get all my entertainment done.

First

World

Problems

AcesandEights
18-Nov-2014, 02:20 PM
Anyone else waiting for Neil's super-obvious question(s) of the week?

Previous installments include "Who was that bird they rolled in on the gurney?" and "Why do high pressure fire-hoses shred decayed flesh?". :p

Moon Knight
18-Nov-2014, 03:27 PM

Previous installments include "Who was that bird they rolled in on the gurney?" and "Why do high pressure fire-hoses shred decayed flesh?". :p

Neil is such a troll these days lol.

MoonSylver
18-Nov-2014, 05:04 PM

Speaking of which, who was that guy with the crossbow? :rockbrow:

:lol:

UndeadHippo
18-Nov-2014, 05:41 PM

I believe his name is Noah :p

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2014, 06:09 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, Neil, you funny bugger, never change. :D

I did actually think of Neil when I saw the scene which showed Carol stumbling through the woods, taking off her gore poncho, and then scrubbing her face clean quite quickly and efficiently. I recall that being a sticking point for him a few weeks ago for the premiere episode. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Ziiiiiiing. Feel the burn, Daryl. :D

MoonSylver
18-Nov-2014, 06:31 PM

I actually kind of thought the same thing. :D

rongravy
18-Nov-2014, 09:38 PM
How come walker claws have been shown to shred even tough materials with relative ease, but can't escape a thin nylon tent?

Maybe they should ditch the armless, jawless walkers on chains disguise, and start wearing tent suits...
If only Dale had worn one!!!

Buzzbomb
18-Nov-2014, 10:47 PM
A pretty good episode overall.

Moon Knight's observation about the smoke & fire was pretty spot on, though I'm not sure what it all means.

Like Doc I'm also a bit worried that the Carol is due for the 'chop' soon. I can't see her staying with Team Rick now whatever happens... Maybe she will get 'snuffed out'.

+ 1 on UndeadHippo's nice call on crashing a stationary vehicle.

The ambulance inspired by the 1969 "Italian Job" caper was the weakest bit. The vehicle appeared to have no damage from it's impact from the railings; all the doors were closed (so no escapees); the insides were gutted (the most sparse ambulance I've ever seen)... the bridge railings too showed no sign of damage... but in the scheme of things - no big deal. (The van possibly shows signs of damage - front lights were out before it's hit the ground, but were intact when dangling over the bridge...)

I liked the zombies trapped in their sleeping bags & tents, unable to work out how to use a zip... reminded me of the zombies in the basement of Dawn, and I prefer the dumb organic zombie variety to the ones on speed.

Carol first trying to shoot Noah in the legs & then not wanting to leave him trapped under the bookcase seems to be a bit of a contradiction... fickle?

I'd guess most of the 'night' scenes are shot in daylight for economic reasons & then altered (ala "28 Weeks Later") - this episode was a vast improvement on the last couple of shows, but still one or two shots were just 'black'.

Lookling forward the next one.

facestabber
18-Nov-2014, 11:29 PM
A pretty good episode overall.

Moon Knight's observation about the smoke & fire was pretty spot on, though I'm not sure what it all means.

Like Doc I'm also a bit worried that the Carol is due for the 'chop' soon. I can't see her staying with Team Rick now whatever happens... Maybe she will get 'snuffed out'.

+ 1 on UndeadHippo's nice call on crashing a stationary vehicle.

The ambulance inspired by the 1969 "Italian Job" caper was the weakest bit. The vehicle appeared to have no damage from it's impact from the railings; all the doors were closed (so no escapees); the insides were gutted (the most sparse ambulance I've ever seen)... the bridge railings too showed no sign of damage... but in the scheme of things - no big deal. (The van possibly shows signs of damage - front lights were out before it's hit the ground, but were intact when dangling over the bridge...)

I liked the zombies trapped in their sleeping bags & tents, unable to work out how to use a zip... reminded me of the zombies in the basement of Dawn, and I prefer the dumb organic zombie variety to the ones on speed.

Carol first trying to shoot Noah in the legs & then not wanting to leave him trapped under the bookcase seems to be a bit of a contradiction... fickle?

I'd guess most of the 'night' scenes are shot in daylight for economic reasons & then altered (ala "28 Weeks Later") - this episode was a vast improvement on the last couple of shows, but still one or two shots were just 'black'.

Lookling forward the next one.

Buzz, I think Carol's decision regarding Noah under the bookcase had more to do with Daryl's soul. I think Carol feels that she may be too far gone but she doesn't want Daryl to follow her path. Daryl searched the hardest for Sophia. Daryl became a good person and she wants him to keep that. Also Carol was only shooting the kid because he took their weapons. Once under the bookcase and weapons were recovered, she was fine with sparing him. Carol isn't a monster. Lethal and cunning when needed but not a monster.

Neil
19-Nov-2014, 08:48 AM
I really liked the episode!

One irk for me though - the van fall - I loved the scene but the physics are screwed up. The van would have landed on it's roof because it was front-heavy with the engine and two adults, and there was no weight in the back ... and, not having a roll cage or anything, it would have flattened considerably ... however I'm willing to overlook that as we so often see wonky physics in film/tv, and it did allow us to have that super cool moment after a few seconds of silence when the walkers just started tumbling down and splatting on top of the van.Yes. Very daft scene... Why did they even pick that van out in the first place? What was so special about it? Why let themselves get caught in it? Amateurs!

MinionZombie
19-Nov-2014, 10:09 AM
I really liked the episode!

Yes. Very daft scene... Why did they even pick that van out in the first place? What was so special about it? Why let themselves get caught in it? Amateurs!

Well they investigated the van because it had the white crosses on the back - and they were looking for a vehicle with those same crosses - and they found the clue they needed (the name of the hospital, on the bottom of the gurney). I'd say that the folks running that facility just stole a normal van as it's big enough to get a gurney into (same with that estate car Carol got run over by). They absolutely needed to find some information, but unfortunately for them there were a bunch of walkers nearby on the bridge coming their way, so they got surrounded. It ain't easy surviving in the zombie apocalypse. :D

Despite the screwy physics I really dug the scene.

Oh - and another allusion to season one - the bisected walker dragging itself along without it's legs. :)

Agreed with Facestabber as well - it was about saving Daryl's soul in that moment, but in-turn it might have been a test from Daryl to Carol ... they were both testing each other and trying to make each other see that it's not all over and that there is something more to become. Plus, Daryl wasn't convinced that Carol was just going to shoot Noah in the leg - Carol was quick to resort to that measure, but Daryl instinctively knew Noah wasn't a bad guy and didn't begrudge him stealing their weapons too much as he knew he was just a kid trying to survive - it wasn't done with malice.

MoonSylver
19-Nov-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes. Very daft scene... Why did they even pick that van out in the first place? What was so special about it? Why let themselves get caught in it? Amateurs!

The streak continues. :lol:

Legion2213
19-Nov-2014, 06:39 PM
Only got to watch this tonight, what a cracking episode! PA cityscapes will always rock my world!

Some really poignant stuff going on in this one, Carroll's past, the (zombie) woman and her kid who were probably living a life of terror before the walkers rose, refugees camping in buildings etc. This episode nailed a lot of the misery and sadness that exists in TWD universe

Rating this one highly...Loved the zombie downpour as well!

Moon Knight
19-Nov-2014, 08:11 PM
This episode refrenced both "Lost" and "The X-Files".

AcesandEights
19-Nov-2014, 08:29 PM
This episode refrenced both "Lost" and "The X-Files".

Intrigued to know, if you can spoiler tag it :)

Been awhile since my X-files days and I bailed on Lost pretty early on when it became apparent it was going to be a circle jerk.

Wyldwraith
19-Nov-2014, 09:13 PM
Liked the episode,
But Carol getting hit bugged me. They knew a car was down there on that road...so it's not like her not looking is explained by it being a dead city. Like others I'm willing to let that slide, but it did make me grind my teeth. As for the weapon-stealing kid...sometimes TWD makes me feel like a bad person. When Daryl stopped Carol from shooting him I felt actual outrage. Kid or not, he stripped you of almost all weapons in the middle of a city crawling with the undead, and THEN unleashed the tent-Walkers on them as a means of covering his escape. After having been through the van fall essentially because they didn't have the weapons to credibly fight through the Walkers I was so on board with leaving him under the bookcase and letting the Walker have lunch.

I would've been wrong, because it woulda cost them their lead on Beth...but that's pragmatism speaking.

The shots of the city were great, and the feel of a major dead cityscape which we haven't had at ALL really since "Clear" (and that was a town mainly of 1-story buildings)..like others I really enjoyed seeing the characters employing the vertical in their search.

I realize they had to explain how Carol ended up in whacko-Hospital, but the car hit still felt contrived to me. Maybe I would've felt differently about the scene if all three of them hadn't seen that car trolling down the exact same street would then try to cross, but as it is I was like "WTH?!?!"

Still, the episode did a lot more right than it did wrong.

Finally, I'm DEFINITELY in the camp that wants to see the three group-fragments rejoin into a single group, and SOON. Having them split up like this does exactly what I don't care for about portions of certain seasons. It creates a lot of ping-ponging...and tempts the writers to do too many flashbacks and such. Carol and Daryl are one thing, but it strains credence if Rick & Co, whose intent is to catch up with Glenn/Maggie and the rest don't manage to do so now that their group is on foot post-bus crash.

Daryl is definitely getting to be a softie in some respects.

MoonSylver
19-Nov-2014, 09:35 PM
As for the weapon-stealing kid...sometimes TWD makes me feel like a bad person. When Daryl stopped Carol from shooting him I felt actual outrage. Kid or not, he stripped you of almost all weapons in the middle of a city crawling with the undead, and THEN unleashed the tent-Walkers on them as a means of covering his escape. After having been through the van fall essentially because they didn't have the weapons to credibly fight through the Walkers I was so on board with leaving him under the bookcase and letting the Walker have lunch.

I would've been wrong, because it woulda cost them their lead on Beth...but that's pragmatism speaking.

That's an excellent point, & I felt the exact same way. Most shows show you "good guys" & "bad guys". This was an excellent example of "shades of gray morality". ie He took their weapons & left them to the zombies = "bad guy", except we already saw him & actually know he seems like a decent guy, just in a bad spot. If they had done the expedient thing & not allowed morality/their "better nature" to prevail, then they would have lost a valuable lead & potential ally in trying to get Beth back.

O irony, you so cray cray! :lol:

Finally, I'm DEFINITELY in the camp that wants to see the three group-fragments rejoin into a single group, and SOON. Having them split up like this does exactly what I don't care for about portions of certain seasons. It creates a lot of ping-ponging...and tempts the writers to do too many flashbacks and such. Carol and Daryl are one thing, but it strains credence if Rick & Co, whose intent is to catch up with Glenn/Maggie and the rest don't manage to do so now that their group is on foot post-bus crash.

I think that's pretty much where we're at in the last 2ep's before the mid-season break. If so, then I'm happy with the pacing so far this season. Yeah, they all got split up, but if that does turn out to be the case, then they'll have moved everything along pretty briskly & wrapped up the story elements pretty quickly, rather than teasing them out & having them overstay their welcome (which the lead up to Terminus kinda almost did, & Where's Beth was starting to).

Moon Knight
20-Nov-2014, 12:22 AM
Intrigued to know, if you can spoiler tag it :)

Been awhile since my X-files days and I bailed on Lost pretty early on when it became apparent it was going to be a circle jerk.

The cigarettes that Daryl picked up were a carton of "Morleys", the brand's most recognizable appearance was on The X-Files, as the preferred brand of the series big bad The Cigarette-Smoking Man. Dale also picked up a box back in season 2. If you remember he put it inside of his breast pocket.

The Lost reference was simply the statue of Mary that was placed on the dashboard of the white van. The same statue was used in a similar situation but with an airplane; which also took a header after being lodged up onto a tree.

Neil
20-Nov-2014, 07:28 AM
Don't bother with handcuffs to subdue people... Just put them in a sleeping bag! No one can get out of those! :)

Out of interested why all those "victims" in sleeping bags? What's the story there? Only scenario I can think of is they all committed suicide?

RichW
20-Nov-2014, 09:07 AM
last 2ep's before the mid-season break.

Crikey, is it that time already, before the old MSB swear-word rears it's ugly head??
Where has the time gone, this season seems to be flying by.
That's good in some ways (indicative of well put together show)
But not having some TWD to enjoy on chrimbo day seems, wrong :|

Buzzbomb
20-Nov-2014, 03:37 PM
Out of interested why all those "victims" in sleeping bags? What's the story there? Only scenario I can think of is they all committed suicide?

I thought they'd been shot whilst asleep, died & then turned - I think there looked like some blood spots on the sleeping bags & at some point there were some bullet holes shown in the wall (but I'm not 100% that was in the same location).

Neil
20-Nov-2014, 03:58 PM
I thought they'd been shot whilst asleep, died & then turned - I think there looked like some blood spots on the sleeping bags & at some point there were some bullet holes shown in the wall (but I'm not 100% that was in the same location).

That would be a nice touch!

MinionZombie
20-Nov-2014, 04:20 PM
Don't bother with handcuffs to subdue people... Just put them in a sleeping bag! No one can get out of those! :)

The walkers in the sleeping bags had been shot when they were (sleeping) humans - there were bloody bullet holes in the bags, and being that walkers don't know a lot of things, they couldn't figure out how to get out of the sleeping bags that were all zipped up. As was mentioned earlier, it did have a kind of Dawn of the Dead vibe to it with those zombies tied up in the basement of the tenement building ... just writhing around mindlessly, some of them with sheets over their heads and bound at the neck like hoods ... creepy stuff.

Splitting the group up ... it's necessary to give other characters some room to breathe and get some good back story to catch us up with newer additions (e.g. Abraham) and get some other plot threads dealt with on their own, otherwise you'd have a lot of cast members doing nothing in the background (as well as limiting where/how the action takes place) or other characters off-camera in a room somewhere whilst these other threads are happening.

On the other hand I do look forward to getting the group all together and heading in the same direction as a unit ... so it's a double-edged sword. It does mean we might go three episodes without Rick/Carl/Michonne/whoever, but it also means we get dedicated time to characters that would otherwise get sidelined, or get their important bit of back story fobbed off with a cheap couple of lines, or have their side stories limited by being restricted to the near vicinity of Rick.

So yeah ... double-edged sword ... they were together for three, then apart for three, and now these last two will no doubt gradually bring them all together. Overall the pacing has been good ... but at the same time I do look forward to the entirety of Team Rick standing side-by-side once more. With Eugene's secret exposed, Team Mullet will be looking to head back to Gabriel's church pronto.

Neil
20-Nov-2014, 08:57 PM
...team mullet...lol! :)

MoonSylver
20-Nov-2014, 09:02 PM
Splitting the group up ... it's necessary to give other characters some room to breathe and get some good back story to catch us up with newer additions (e.g. Abraham) and get some other plot threads dealt with on their own, otherwise you'd have a lot of cast members doing nothing in the background (as well as limiting where/how the action takes place) or other characters off-camera in a room somewhere whilst these other threads are happening.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c1/c17994a64533e344c4f32cad0011e2206244b199396785a506 1b8883fe76b5d9.jpg

facestabber
21-Nov-2014, 01:46 AM
I haven't minded the group split this season. Season 3 was painful at times. But for this season it has worked. With the entire group together I could honestly give a crap about Abraham and co. I'd much rather see the focus on Rick and the originals. So Kudos to Gimple for forcing me to care about others....lol

Poor T -dog

MinionZombie
21-Nov-2014, 09:44 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c1/c17994a64533e344c4f32cad0011e2206244b199396785a506 1b8883fe76b5d9.jpg

Exactly.

Poor T-Dog ... but at least he got something to do in season 3, albeit briefly.

Wyldwraith
21-Nov-2014, 01:22 PM
Meh,
I never really found myself caring about "Team Mullet's" progress, probably because of Abraham's inflexibility. Well, that and it was obvious even to a non-comic reader like me that Eugene was full of crap. Was drawn in immediately by Daryl and Carol's activities, but the progress of Abraham and Co....particularly with the overdone flashbacks of Abraham just failed to really compel me. Not that said content was terrible or anything, but definitely forgettable.

Moon Knight
21-Nov-2014, 03:07 PM
Meh,
I never really found myself caring about "Team Mullet's" progress, probably because of Abraham's inflexibility. Well, that and it was obvious even to a non-comic reader like me that Eugene was full of crap. Was drawn in immediately by Daryl and Carol's activities, but the progress of Abraham and Co....particularly with the overdone flashbacks of Abraham just failed to really compel me. Not that said content was terrible or anything, but definitely forgettable.

Not to me. I loved Abraham's story. It was heartbreaking at the end cause if you think about it, at the end of "Self Help", he was right back where he started. With nothing to live for. However, I understand why you would feel like that.

I miss T-Dogg.

Never forget.

MoonSylver
21-Nov-2014, 03:19 PM
Exactly.

Poor T-Dog ... but at least he got something to do in season 3, albeit briefly.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/bf/bf6827d6391ee2dbe9654a562b8c708e4bdcf17c3d90bebbff 81b1b223e549f1.jpg

:D

Andy
22-Nov-2014, 03:48 PM
When I first saw that kid who helped Beth and stole daryl and carols weapons.. I can't be the only one who thought..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/pt/8/8c/Logo_The_Fresh_Prince_of_Bel-Air.jpg

Surely?

Staredge
22-Nov-2014, 04:14 PM
Actually, it's:

and no.....the first thing I thought was:

One black guy dies, another one appears.

facestabber
22-Nov-2014, 06:28 PM
Actually, it's:

and no.....the first thing I thought was:

One black guy dies, another one appears.

Haha Yep on spoiler 2. Stookey goes down next man up