PDA

View Full Version : Bub, Big Daddy, and Edu-ma-cation

Crow T R0bot
17-Jul-2006, 07:37 PM
While the fact that the great scarved one has neglected to mention this makes what I'm hypothisizing unlikely, I still did take some notice to this.

In "Day..." and "Land..." We have two "intelligent" zombies: One "white" and the other "black."

In "Day of The Dead" Bub was apparently white when he was alive. He didn't adapt to his environment like Big Daddy did. Instead, he was "privileged" to be brought into Dr. Logan's "school for zombies" and became smart by having the good Dr. teach him about daily life. Bub, so to speak, is "Book smart."

Big Daddy, however, didn't have any live people to teach him. He learned everything, including memorizing what he did for a living when he was...well, living. He is pretty much "street smart."

Was Romero making a statement about race and schooling when he came up with "Big Daddy." I myself find this unlikely, but I couldn't help but notice this when I saw LotD.

Questions? Comments? Either way, discuss.

imamazed
17-Jul-2006, 08:33 PM
That's a quite clever observation, but I very much doubt Romero even had Big Daddy in his mind when he working on Day of The Dead.

It's probably coicidence.

creepntom
18-Jul-2006, 02:19 AM
wtf difference does it matter what color they were? a black person/zombie couldn't be booksmart?

all of the dead films have a strong male "leader" of sorts, who happen to be black/african-american

only difference with land he was a zombie

AcesandEights
18-Jul-2006, 02:31 AM
wtf difference does it matter what color they were? a black person/zombie couldn't be booksmart?

all of the dead films have a strong male "leader" of sorts, who happen to be black/african-american

It makes a difference to some observers, and I think Crow T R0bot brought up an interesting angle, which hadn't been previously discussed (though alluded to in many respects).

That said, I don't think it was a concious choice, though I suppose it could have been a conscious counterpoint to Bub. It does fit nicely with a lot of the themes that people continue to bring up about Land.

Adrenochrome
18-Jul-2006, 02:33 AM

well said!!

Crow T R0bot
18-Jul-2006, 05:14 PM

I didn't mean to stereotype, knowing Romero, I assumed it was a reference to educational inequality in America despite the progress we've made in race relations, so my apologies for making it sound like I was being narrow minded.

Even then, I still agree that more likely than not, it's a coincidence.

MikePizzoff
18-Jul-2006, 05:40 PM

What do you mean what difference does it make? Do you not know that all of the "Dead" films are social commentaries? Take a look at how society is today and how most people attempt to perceive things.

This is a great observation, Crow, and it would make a lot of sense, but I really doubt it's what George had in mind when he created the character(s).

Guru ofthe Dead
19-Jul-2006, 06:00 AM
What do you mean what difference does it make? Do you not know that all of the "Dead" films are social commentaries? Take a look at how society is today and how most people attempt to perceive things.

This is a great observation, Crow, and it would make a lot of sense, but I really doubt it's what George had in mind when he created the character(s).
I'm not sure. Personally I think he did this on purpose. Big Daddy in the counterpart to Bub. Why? Because GAR is showing the difference between the two. Big Daddy remembered who he was as well as the other dead in the small town. They were imitating their past lives. Wonderful question Crow.