PDA

View Full Version : If you haven't seen The Descent...

deadwrtr
18-Jul-2006, 12:42 AM
You definitely should. Talk about old school horror. This, I believe will be a big hit. The wonder of spelunking is directed by Neil Marshall.

The movie starts off with a bang. A band of extreme thrill seekers meet every so often to test themselves against the elements. After a rather startling accident at the beginning of the film, (and subtle plot twists involving one woman's husband and another female member), a year later the group once again bands together to face another challenge. They've been all over the world. Base jumping in Scotland, white water rafting down extreme rivers... but they ain't ever conquered The Appalacha's...

Led by a headstrong latino woman named Juno (played by the beautiful Natalie Mendoza, who, in my opinion, gives Michelle Rodriguez a run for the money), the band descends into the depths of an unexplored cavern. (NOTE: If you are even mildly claustrophobic, this remember to bring your anti-anxiety pills.) Thinking themselves alone is only their first mistake...

I won't give away too much of what happens, but suffice it to say, the pacing of this film is fantastic. Lulling you into a false sense of security at the beginning, once the film gets going, it never slows down. The lighting, while a bit dark (it is after all, a cavern deep underground) shows enough to keep your heart racing, but never enough to give it all away.

There are the occasional "shouldn't have done that" moments, but I had to ask myself, if I were in a similar situation, would I react the same way? The answer is, most definitely probably.

NOTE: There are no male leads in this film. All for the better, I say.

Gore abounds, so you blood seekers won't be dissatisfied. (although I am sure the version I obtained is unrated, if even half of what is shown is released in the theaters, it's going to be one hell of a ride.) I obtained my copy in 2005, and why they waited to release it probably stems from the fact that there were several poorly done "trapped in a cave" type movies late last year. Not wanting to get sucked into a swirling vortex of straight to dvd debris, the producers were wise to wait.

The ending? Priceless.

Check this film out. While it lacks zombies... there are other things just as frightening in the dark....

EvilNed
18-Jul-2006, 12:49 AM
I borrowed this film from a friend a few weeks ago, and yes it's really good. The first 45 minutes are thrilling in their own right. What comes after that is definetly some of the scariest moments ever. However, towards the end, it starts to play a little less on scares and more on action (which is a shame).

While it's pretty predictable, the film is still good. Juno was definetly my favourite character, even though she made a few bad choices. Michelle Rodriguez sucks, by the way.

If people watched Pitch Black, then you'll know what to expect. While it's set in a totally different enviroment, both films are dark and start off as one thing only to suddenly turn a completly different direction. Also, both films feature a hell of alot of darkness, green and red lightning and strangely... Strangely enough, there are even resemblence between the bad guys in both films.

Danny
18-Jul-2006, 01:12 AM
Talk about old school horror. This, I believe will be a big hit.

...uhh.... hasnt this film been on dvd for months?, if it were gonna be a big hit ever, i think it would have happened by now.:bored:

p2501
18-Jul-2006, 01:33 AM
...uhh.... hasnt this film been on dvd for months?, if it were gonna be a big hit ever, i think it would have happened by now.:bored:

it's being released in theaters over here, i think next week or something. Big frakking deal it's been availabe as a DVD rip for what 6-7 months now?

reason 236 why i download movies.

MikePizzoff
18-Jul-2006, 02:04 AM

It's not released in the US until August 4th.

MinionZombie
18-Jul-2006, 09:46 AM
And of course in the UK it was rated 18, and we don't have that retarded "R rating" bollocks the Americans have, so we can't bring toddlers in to see extreme violence - oh what a shame! (sarcasm by the way).

Also, it was released in the same week as 7/7, so that didn't do it any favours - especially as the advert for the film was either on the side of the bus that got blown up or on the side of a nearby bus - and therefore on the news for days ... but it's not exactly positive advertising.

However, it did well in it's own right, considering the variables. Marshall himself said he was surprised people still went to see it even with 7/7 going on.

I downloaded it initially - couldn't get anyone to go to the cinema and I wasn't going to be billy no mates - and then I got the DVD last Xmas. It's a damn good movie, even watching the CAM I downloaded I was crapping myself. Then I watched the DVD with my Dad and he was going nuts from the scares, lol.

It's a great movie, roll on Marshall's next project ... and hurry on up with that "zombies on an oilrig" flick too! :cool:

deadwrtr
18-Jul-2006, 12:55 PM

I don't think it's been released on dvd, except for downloadable format, at least here in the US. It's being released in theaters soon. :rolleyes:

Regardless, it's a great flick.

bassman
18-Jul-2006, 01:03 PM
If people watched Pitch Black, then you'll know what to expect. While it's set in a totally different enviroment, both films are dark and start off as one thing only to suddenly turn a completly different direction. Also, both films feature a hell of alot of darkness, green and red lightning and strangely... Strangely enough, there are even resemblence between the bad guys in both films.

You've just helped me decide that I no longer want to see this film...

p2501
18-Jul-2006, 01:36 PM
and hurry on up with that "zombies on an oilrig" flick too! :cool:

wait, say what?

You've just helped me decide that I no longer want to see this film...

it's not pitch black. it's actually pretty damned good.

MinionZombie
18-Jul-2006, 06:09 PM
Bassman - just watch the damn movie, it's great!

P2501 - aye, Marshall has been working on a script about zombies on an oilrig for some time now, not sure at what point the project is, but it's not going to be his next I don't think, which is a shame as I can't wait to see it when it does eventually get made.

I think he's having a lot of trouble securing funding and whatnot, but it's hardly surprising in this bloody country, no thanks to our sh*tty gubment the film industry has no money. That's why any movie we do make is done with foreign money (Shaun of the Dead for example was funded with French money for the most part - Canal +).

Fingers crossed Marshall gets to make "zombies on an oilrig" (I forgot the actual title he gave it, lol).