PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Nimoy (Spock) RIP

Philly_SWAT
27-Feb-2015, 04:54 PM
Live long and prosper

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?_r=0

Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mr. Nimoy announced that he had the disease last year, attributing it to years of smoking, a habit he had given up three decades earlier. He had been hospitalized earlier in the week.

bassman
27-Feb-2015, 05:02 PM
I've recently been going through Star Trek TOS for the first time. I've become more of a Trek fan and Nimoy is a large part of that. He really created a legendary science fiction character that will stand the test of time.

Neil
27-Feb-2015, 06:16 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31662024

Last year, the actor revealed he was suffering from chronic lung disease, despite stopping smoking more than 20 years ago.

It was reported earlier this week he had been taken to hospital on 19 February after suffering from chest pains.

He later tweeted: "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."

He signed off with "LLAP" - a reference to his character's famous catchphrase, "Live long and prosper". It was to be his final tweet.

MoonSylver
27-Feb-2015, 06:33 PM
TOS was a huge part of my childhood (& Trek in general my whole life), & Spock was my favorite character growing up. RIP. :(

Kaos
27-Feb-2015, 06:36 PM
9_8nY_LQL3w

Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most.... human.

EvilNed
27-Feb-2015, 06:58 PM
Rest in peace. Live long and prosper.

I'll be watching Wrath of Khan tonight.

Publius
01-Mar-2015, 12:04 PM
How a friend of mine responded when I broke the news to him:

"Well, it's happened before. All we need to do is shoot his coffin to a Genesis device-activated planet, and we should have him back within a year."

MoonSylver
02-Mar-2015, 12:26 AM
How a friend of mine responded when I broke the news to him:

"Well, it's happened before. All we need to do is shoot his coffin to a Genesis device-activated planet, and we should have him back within a year."

Wouldn't it be nice if death was merely an inconvenience, like it is in so many movies, comics, & TV shows, & not The End. :|

EvilNed
02-Mar-2015, 09:58 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if death was merely an inconvenience, like it is in so many movies, comics, & TV shows, & not The End. :|

Well, we don't know that it is...

MoonSylver
02-Mar-2015, 03:57 PM
Well, we don't know that it is...

Well, true, but since I've outgrown fairy tales, & have no evidence to the contrary, as things stand this does seem to be the case. :|