View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! TWD 5x14 "Spend" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2015, 10:19 AM
Please keep all talk of episode 5x14 "Spend" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

"Episode 5.14: Spend - While trying to secure a new home, Rick and his group face challenges, and question the utopia they find themselves in."

Directed by: Jennifer Lynch (yes, David's daughter, and the lady who made "Chained")
Written by: Matthew Negrete

http://c534909.r9.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Walking-Dead-514-photo-02.jpg

Moon Knight
16-Mar-2015, 02:04 AM
What an amazing episode. Truly brutal and shocking. I was actually deeply disturbed. I need to think about this one haha.

carpetbeggar
16-Mar-2015, 02:09 AM
Definitely two of the goriest deaths.

Cykotic
Agreed!

But why do I sense a Macbeth thing going on with Rick and Carol?

facestabber
Damn that was violent. Glen is a leader and a tremendous asset. Gabriel is a communist cocksucker and needs to die.

zomtom
16-Mar-2015, 06:10 AM
Man; what an incredibly great episode!! That revolving door scene had me on the edge of my seat. I have to admit, the first two episodes of Season 5B were a bit disappointing to me. After 6 to 8 weeks on hiatus, I wanted to see more than some artsy-fartsy episode of the death of Tyrese. All I can say is the last three episodes have been fantastic. Each better than the previous one. If they keep up at this rate I can only imagine what the finale will be like. Also, I'm not one who needs to see lots of blood and guts but kudos to Nicoterro for his work on this episode.

Wyldwraith
16-Mar-2015, 08:49 AM
I'll wait a little longer before weighing in substantively,
Just going to say Maggie is making a mistake by not revealing she heard what was said, telling said politician about Gabriel's responsibility in the deaths of his parishioners and how he's trying to shift the guilt and blame for that onto them and explaining *in detail* about the Terminians and the situation in its totality.

They'll instead allow this to fester and become additional fodder feeding the Alexandrian leader's unease over Team Rick's growing influence in the community, as well as fuel to help start the fire of division that turns it back into Us vs Them regarding Team Rick and Alexandria.

Said it LONG BEFORE, Gabriel should've been abandoned when the truth of his locking out of his parishioners came to light, he CERTAINLY never should've been brought with them, and had it been me I would've simply killed him while I was already blood-spattered from killing the Terminians. Saves having to wash up twice. Spineless cowards are ALWAYS evil, in one way or another, and if I held absolute dominion over the earth they would be eliminated upon conclusive identification to prevent contamination of future generations, either genetically or by environmental influence. Man I hate that character!

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2015, 12:47 PM
Crikey! Noah's death sure was shocking! Really quite sad in many ways - Glenn's reaction, Noah was finding something to do with his life, that look he gave just before he was ripped to shreds (tearing his agonised face open genuinely dropped my jaw). Fare-thee-well, Noah.

Also - Aidan - OUCH! That looked like it stung a bit ... blimey!

Good to see Eugene stepping up to the plate and Glenn laying down some smack.

Abraham kicking ass also rocked, and I like that they're using Carol's past to reveal Jessie and Sam's situation.

Gabriel - grrr ... ruddy turncoat ... although to be fair and level-headed about it, he's only known them for a few weeks at this point and no sooner had they arrived than they'd hacked up a bunch of people inside his church (which they tore up in the process). As for Maggie - well she's only just heard, so we don't know what she's gonna do just yet, but let's say she did confront Deanna - might that not possibly force Deanna to make a (bad) decision and try and seize control of Team Rick, which would then force Team Rick to fight back, and then you've got a bloodbath on your hands.

Maggie confronting Deanna could just as easily lead to a problem as not confronting her, and really it's only her word against Gabriel's ... and he is a man of God, which might hold sway for some folks, and clearly he's terrified. Yes, context is important, but again - Deanna wasn't there - so it's just her word against Gabriel's ... but we also don't yet know how Deanna is going to react to what Gabriel has said. Maybe she'll weigh things up in Team Rick's favour ... have some patience, it's only just happened!

Generally I found the episode to be quite tense and when they were setting out on their mission things were quite ominous in a subtle way, so I was really on edge for the whole episode ... excellent tension building. Also, agreed, the revolving door sequence was awesome! It demonstrates how important team work is, as well as how poorly trained Alexandria's scavengers truly are (but it was good to see that Aidan wasn't being all pissy-arsed about Glenn's swatting him down, he was actually learning from him ... but hadn't learned enough evidently) ... very claustrophobic too and you can really picture yourself being in that kind of situation. Scary stuff! :)

Another excellent episode ... dark things are coming, I'm sure!

Moon Knight
16-Mar-2015, 01:15 PM
"Spend" was probably the closest since the Pilot that the show captured the feeling and true essence of the comic book.

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2015, 05:32 PM
Thinking about Deanna further - with the panicked return of Glenn/Eugene/Nicholas with a seriously wounded Tara and without Noah or Aidan - Gabriel's words will either be bumped down the agenda, or perhaps more likely, get twisted up in Deanna's grief. However, with the loss of Noah (and serious wounding of Tara), Team Rick are going to be properly pissed off too ... events have conspired to set the two parties against one another over who's to blame (blatantly Aidan/Nicholas) and whether Team Rick can be trusted (we know they're good, but Alexandria don't know that for sure ... they've only just started to get to know these people).

Glenn/Yeun's reaction to Noah's death (and that brief moment of shock on Noah's face on the other side of the glass!) was superb, too ... you really felt the mixed emotions - the horror, the disgust, the grief, the shock - excellent work from Yeun, there!

Also loved Abraham getting to unleash the beast and have some dark fun slaying walkers - mother dick! :lol:

Oh! Daryl's new bike rocked.

Interesting that, if recriminations do break out between Team Rick and Alexandria, both sides will have a member missing (Daryl and Aaron are off out on a recruiting run) and Tara's stuck there laid up with serious head trauma ... so that nicely complicates things. :)

And Carol sure does love stealing chocolate, doesn't she? :D

TWD 5x14 Memes:
http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/cookies-and-consequences-edition.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cF-NR0L7dUQ/VQcNpYOGk9I/AAAAAAAADws/iEplVmaSsa4/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_Glenn_That_Walking_ Dead_Feeling_5x14_DeadShed.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rd1QQKwAa4w/VQcNyNaC4lI/AAAAAAAADxU/KEno6oM0mSw/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_Noah_Tempt_Fate_Now _You%27re_Going_To_Die_Van_Music_5x14_DeadShed.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SSLecQfY9OQ/VQcNuebfxvI/AAAAAAAADw8/Vsq2EC_W4tE/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_Carol_Sam_Questions _Cookies_5x14_DeadShed.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ogH4q5Svyfo/VQcNu1RV81I/AAAAAAAADxA/uX0TyNA2Y4I/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_Hershel_Architect_A pprentice_Risk_Your_Life_5x14_DeadShed.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hUjsJKwMN6w/VQcNsVv-_RI/AAAAAAAADw0/pKzHUXUsr_8/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_Abraham_Francine_So _Hot_For_You_Right_Now_5x14_DeadShed.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XAB08YAK1-4/VQcN2gVIfvI/AAAAAAAADxc/C5R2BxwFccg/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_Rick_Jessie_Owl_Scu lpture_Vandalism_Grizzly_Bloody_Grimes_Consequence s_5x14_DeadShed.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-742ybIhBucg/VQcNvjw5qlI/AAAAAAAADxE/qqpsfxgWokU/s1600/The_Walking_Dead_Season_5_Meme_Mother_Abraham_Dick _Catchphrase_5x14_DeadShed.jpg

:)

Moon Knight
16-Mar-2015, 06:30 PM
Abraham was indeed awesome here. His lines were great and he was a true super hero the way he didn't think twice about saving Francine. Him machine gunning down walkers point blank was just pure epicness.

Gabriel really did show his true colors here, man. Not really cool to throw the group that saved your ass under the bus like that.

Did they name drop "Holly"?

Carol telling Rick what needs to be done about Pete was pretty cold too. Even know we as viewers already knew this, just hearing her straight out tell Rick that was cool.

Props to Greg Nicotero once again for that awesome Noah puppet. I was actually disturbed for minutes on end after witnessing that carnage. Glenn's reaction was perfect and his emotion was very heartfelt.

Eugene has more balls than the fine people of Alexandria. What does that say about these cowards?

Mother Dick!

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2015, 06:52 PM
Gabriel really did show his true colors here, man. Not really cool to throw the group that saved your ass under the bus like that.

Did they name drop "Holly"?

Props to Greg Nicotero once again for that awesome Noah puppet. I was actually disturbed for minutes on end after witnessing that carnage. Glenn's reaction was perfect and his emotion was very heartfelt.

Eugene has more balls than the fine people of Alexandria. What does that say about these cowards?

1) Aye! I wonder what Team Rick will make of it once they find out.

2) Yeah I heard that too!
Theory/Comic Spoiler:
Although I'm wondering if they'll replace Holly with Francine after that little skirmish at the construction site in this episode ... I think they're going to definitely do the story with Abraham cheating on Rosita - did you notice that short of him at the sink looking back at her in the bed in the mirror's reflection?

3) Agreed! That agonised expression on Noah's face as it got torn to shreds really sold it in conjunction with that wide-eyed look of terror just before he got devoured ... even though he wasn't a major character and in some ways had limited potential, they show makers really made me feel his death in a big bad way. Poor Noah. :(

4) Hooray for Eugene stepping up to the plate when the time called, in spite of his fear and lack of combat skills. Seeing him luring the walker gang away was good fun.

Rottedfreak
16-Mar-2015, 09:01 PM
The senator son is dead, I suspect this season will end with Rick and co rounding the community up and lining them up in front of Rick on their knees while he gives a speech about safety, then he'll bash Pete's brains in with a baseball bat.

facestabber
16-Mar-2015, 10:15 PM
I can't believe how lucky we are to have this show. Last night was so enjoyable on many levels. It's clear to me that the Alexandrians are just beyond lucky. They don't have the skills at all. Strong walls, non stop luck has been there technique. Aiden can't score a head shot on a full valley target lumbering slowly directly toward him?

Maggie is so close to being my favorite character but I don't like seeing her like this. She should be Ricks other constable. Michonne should be on supply runs.

DayoftheZ
16-Mar-2015, 10:34 PM
One of my favourite episodes, but the last three have been way up on the list for me. As Facestabber said we are some lucky Living Dead fans having this series.

I loved, Loved, LOVED Aiden going out with the homage to Rhodes. I loved, Loved, LOVED the death of Noah which made me feel like I had just seen the death of a long lost friend. I rather suspect that, that was butcherd for UK TV though, I wonder if anybody noticed any differences that have seen the US version.

Great episode for Eugene, Glenn, Noah (Well not so great for him!!) and Abe. I rather think Abe is becoming my new favourite although Glenn is definitely in with a shout on that one. Also YAY for Rick's numerous camera eye f**ks.

You know is a great episode when I shouted NO at the TV like a spoilt child when it ended abruptly.

Moon Knight
16-Mar-2015, 11:01 PM
1) Aye! I wonder what Team Rick will make of it once they find out.

2) Yeah I heard that too!
Theory/Comic Spoiler:
Although I'm wondering if they'll replace Holly with Francine after that little skirmish at the construction site in this episode ... I think they're going to definitely do the story with Abraham cheating on Rosita - did you notice that short of him at the sink looking back at her in the bed in the mirror's reflection?

3) Agreed! That agonised expression on Noah's face as it got torn to shreds really sold it in conjunction with that wide-eyed look of terror just before he got devoured ... even though he wasn't a major character and in some ways had limited potential, they show makers really made me feel his death in a big bad way. Poor Noah. :(

4) Hooray for Eugene stepping up to the plate when the time called, in spite of his fear and lack of combat skills. Seeing him luring the walker gang away was good fun.

Eugene rolling by with that crappy music playing was funny as hell lol. I just love that quirky guy and it just shows how the show has a special way of elevating comic book characters due to great casting when their comic counterparts just don't do it for me. Shane, Aaron, and The Governor are great examples of this.

As for your theory spoiler...

I think so too. In the books didn't Abraham save Holly from Walkers when they first met? I also noticed that shot of Rosita on the bed in the refeclection while Abraham looking back. I find it wierd they mention Holly but may replace her in story? Francine even had short hair too! I reckon they might make Holly a little Younger or if that was just a nod for us comic readers.

Wyldwraith
17-Mar-2015, 05:10 AM
Here's the thing (IMHO),
I have NEVER been in, or heard tell of, a situation where once the principal(s) that are being talked about behind their backs discover that fact, has been IMPROVED by delaying laying all cards on the table and going full disclosure. Yes, that's anecdotal and very subjective, but so far as I go it's an article of faith. Allowing he-said/she-said to fester ALWAYS bears poisonous fruit.

Regarding the Pete/Jessie suspected domestic abuse, and Carol bluntly stating to Rick he's going to have to kill Pete...I have a theory. Admittedly this is nothing but gut instinct, backed by nothing, but here you go: I don't believe it's Pete abusing Jessie, I believe Jessie is somehow abusing her husband...and Carol's background has lead her near the truth, but the in-built bias she carries has caused her to make an incorrect assumption. The kid wouldn't say who the gun was for, and Pete didn't seem aggressive when Carol asked to speak to either the kid or Jessie. Quite the opposite in fact. His "It's not a good time" was delivered (at least IMHO) with the subtext of the abused trying to conceal the problem and keep others out of it to avoid escalation. Not to mention the INCREDIBLY POWERFUL stigma attached to and experienced by men who are getting abused by their wives. It's emasculating, reveals what the victim perceives as deep-seated weakness, and is something Pete would be desperate to avoid having exposed due to what he perceives as "the shame of it" that he, a grown man, has somehow "allowed himself" to end up in a situation where his wife is dominating him in an ugly way. Again, just a theory, but given a) Rick's attraction to Jessie, and b) Rick's baggage concerning his "failure" to protect Laurie, I see all the components for a terrible tragedy already in play.

Bottom line: (Again, IMHO) Maggie saw a major, utterly critical red flag go up and begin waving when Laura (That is the Mayor's name right?) expressed her obviously powerful unease about the "pattern forming" after Abe got the former construction boss's vote of confidence to take over as construction boss. Enough bad things have happened, and are happening, that the smart play for Team Rick would be to pull up stakes and get out while there's at least a trace of good will left. There is NO possible reality (short of Team Rick somehow inexplicably pulling off some sort of Governor-style total takeover and execution of all individuals who could organize a counter-insurgency to expel or eliminate Team Rick) where Team Rick manages to live in peace long-term with the Alexandrians.

If they went to Alexandria's leader, they could allay her concerns about Team Rick dominating the town infrastructure AND Gabriel's accusations at the same time if they told her "Hey, we realize things just aren't working out and for the good of both our peoples we're going to take a step back out of the limelight. We'll of course continue pulling our own weight while we're here, but as soon as Tara recovers we'll be on our way.

Otherwise here's what's going to happen, MINIMUM: Laura's suspicions are roused for multiple reasons at this juncture. Sooner or later it will occur to her to check in on critical supplies like medication, guns, ammunition and rare foodstuffs. The thefts will be discovered, and with the aforementioned suspicions a major factor, Laura will in her own mind construe said thefts, not to mention Aidan's death, in the worst possible light. At which point it becomes an overt Us Vs Them, but because the Alexandrians know how dangerous Rick's people can be in a fight it won't be a standup conflict. Instead the Alexandrians will somehow work to get the drop on them and force Team Rick into a situation where they're forced to disarm to save whichever member(s) of Team Rick that have been seized as hostages. From there, ABSOLUTE BEST CASE the Alexandrians toss them out the front gate unarmed with the clothes on their back. Team Rick could initiate a bloodbath before things get that far, but I don't believe they have it in them to just massacre the Alexandrians. Especially if Rick feels like they (the Alexandrians) are dangerously misguided as opposed to being "evil." Finally, recent events have given me a bad vibe about Daryl being maneuvered into taking the recruiter job, casting getting Daryl out of town (and away from the rest of Team Rick) for long periods of time in a more sinister light IMO.

Worst of all, nearly all my perceptions and theories concerning what's going to happen are based on information that one or more member of Team Rick is already in possession of. If they don't want an all-or-nothing no holds barred fight to the death, and Team Rick doesn't want to risk ending up helpless in the hands of allies-turned-enemies, it's time to make a short-term bid to defuse the situation, all the while keeping their feelers out watching for escalation, and get the hell out the moment Tara is ambulatory. (And for the record, I'm doing my level best to concoct a working plan using Rick & Co's "leave no man/woman behind" code. If it were me, and depending on how confident I was of my capacity to read the Alexandrians, I would be deciding where the line is, meaning at what point do we leave with a badly injured Tara whether or not moving her extensively in very medically inadvisable. It's a tough position for the group to be in.

Michonne is burned out, and so desperate not to be "just surviving" that she now occupies Andrea's role when the two of them first arrived at Woodbury. She's not going to want to believe it's necessary to go until the incontravertible reality is right in her face, and by then it could be too late for all of them. Daryl is out of touch, meaning the group either has to wait for his return or resign themselves to getting badly separated from Daryl, and Tara is badly injured, acting as something of an anchor tying the group to the place at present.

So they can't stay any longer without ever-increasing danger to all of them, but they have to stay for now unless they want to make some VERY BIG sacrifices...and that doesn't even resolve the Michonne problem. One thing's certain: From here on out every single second the group isn't united in their agreement that a) Alexandria, if not already hostile territory will be imminently, and b) Everything they're doing needs to be working towards an ASAP Exit Strategy dramatically increases the likelihood of terrible things happening to multiple members, if not all members, of Team Rick.

Agree? Disagree? Undecided? How and why?

UndeadHippo
17-Mar-2015, 11:11 AM
Well, TWD has had criticism in the past for it's "revolving door" policy concerning black characters. Guess they got the memo....
top work from Nicotero and the effects guys, and the homage to Rhodes raised a wry smile too

Gabriel has severely lost the plot now. his own all-consuming guilt over the fate of his parishioners has finally gotten to him. I wonder if the actor had any reservations about being dressed as a priest, stood in a church ripping up a bible? hopefully it was just a job!

On the topic of characters left behind/ not wanting to leave, i don't think i've seen Abe this happy, ever!

there is a small part of my mind wondering what's up with Daryl, and wether this is a ploy to get him out of the way, but i doubt it. i kinda trust Aaron on this, and I doubt he'd knowingly put Eric in danger if it all went south

Harleydude666
17-Mar-2015, 12:08 PM
Well, TWD has had criticism in the past for it's "revolving door" policy concerning black characters. Guess they got the memo....
top work from Nicotero and the effects guys, and the homage to Rhodes raised a wry smile too

Gabriel has severely lost the plot now. his own all-consuming guilt over the fate of his parishioners has finally gotten to him. I wonder if the actor had any reservations about being dressed as a priest, stood in a church ripping up a bible? hopefully it was just a job!

On the topic of characters left behind/ not wanting to leave, i don't think i've seen Abe this happy, ever!

there is a small part of my mind wondering what's up with Daryl, and wether this is a ploy to get him out of the way, but i doubt it. i kinda trust Aaron on this, and I doubt he'd knowingly put Eric in danger if it all went south

Here's where it's at regarding Gabriel. You see him in the opening shot dealing with his grief and his GUILT. Him telling Deanna about the group is him absolving himself from the horror he cause the group of his parishioners. He wants to deflect his guilt and blame on to team Rick. Somehow he wants to feel better by having the group ousted for their "supposed" crime instead of team Deanna finding about his crime. I think he figures if can oust team Rick it will be easier for him to forget about his sin being he confessed it to team Rick

rongravy
17-Mar-2015, 06:26 PM
Gabriel needs to have his testicles removed...
Through his anus.

DayoftheZ
17-Mar-2015, 07:13 PM
Through his anus.

Also I hope Nicholas reaches an painful and slow demise after what happened to poor Noah.

shootemindehead
17-Mar-2015, 07:14 PM
Another brilliant episode. Poor old Noah. I was genuinely was going "No, no, no! Ah fuck".

So tense, that warehouse scene.

This is the best series of 'The Walking Dead' yet.

And Gabe? WTF? I wonder if Mags is going to sat something next week. She'll have to balance out the force there. She can't just let that slide. Although, TBH, that councilor would have to have brains of mush to take what Gabe said at face value. Even just by looking at him, you can see he's not firing on all cylinders.

Only two more eps left.

Hopefully the spin off series in the Summer will be of the same caliber.

UndeadHippo
17-Mar-2015, 08:12 PM
as an aside...is it just me or is anyone else getting a Captain Janeway vibe off councillor Deanna.... hang on...councellor Deanna Troi???

Wyldwraith
18-Mar-2015, 12:03 AM
Know what Team Rick is to the Alexandrian leadership?

They're the Earps. Do the heavy lifting, take care of any hyper-violent unpleasantness while the town is small and vulnerable, then once their short-term usefulness ends.....
No more, no less. They are thought of as "A-Team Survivors" and the Alexandrians want to milk that, but they DON'T want to pay fair-market price for the use of Team Rick. They want them while they need them, and the moment they don't, "don't let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out."

And that, my friends, is the most generous RATIONAL estimate of the Alexandrians you're likely to see.

facestabber
18-Mar-2015, 12:10 AM
Know what Team Rick is to the Alexandrian leadership?

They're the Earps. Do the heavy lifting, take care of any hyper-violent unpleasantness while the town is small and vulnerable, then once their short-term usefulness ends.....
No more, no less. They are thought of as "A-Team Survivors" and the Alexandrians want to milk that, but they DON'T want to pay fair-market price for the use of Team Rick. They want them while they need them, and the moment they don't, "don't let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out."

And that, my friends, is the most generous RATIONAL estimate of the Alexandrians you're likely to see.

Bingo. They overlook any, less than pretty action team Rick has in their past as long as they serve the desired purpose for Alexandria.

Neil
18-Mar-2015, 08:31 AM
Agreed!

But why do I sense a Macbeth thing going on with Rick and Carol?

Bit of a leap of faith isn't it? I think maybe he's beating the kid, so you'll have to kill him? All on the suggestion the boy wants to defend himself? Maybe he's having nightmares? Maybe they have a dead relative in their basement chained up... But no... Without any evidence, you'll need to kill him... Hmmm!

shootemindehead
18-Mar-2015, 12:29 PM
The. I thought that was a bit odd myself.

Went from A to Z there in the blink of an eye and without an ounce of protest from Rick too?

Neil
18-Mar-2015, 01:15 PM
The. I thought that was a bit odd myself.

Went from A to Z there in the blink of an eye and without an ounce of protest from Rick too?

It was almost... "He wants to bake cookies? Kill his dad!"

MoonSylver
18-Mar-2015, 03:37 PM
It was almost... "He wants to bake cookies? Kill his dad!"

Don't get the sniffles or spank your kid around Carol, or she'll shank yer ass. :shifty::lol:

AcesandEights
18-Mar-2015, 05:03 PM
Woah, just got to see the episode last night....what a ride!

Couldn't agree more! Excellent effects that added to the story, rather than felt tacked on to meet a quota! And Glenn was fantastic!

Eugene has more balls than the fine people of Alexandria.
Damn right, he does. What a coming out party for Eugene, this episode was.

Mother Dick!
Mother Dick, indeed!

So, on the matter of Father Gabriel...

Gabriel is a communist cocksucker and needs to die.

Gabriel...Man I hate that character!

Gabriel - grrr ... ruddy turncoat ...

Gabriel has severely lost the plot now.

Through his anus.

And Gabe? WTF?
:lol: Glad we all agree. Though it is odd, he seems to be accurately pegging our protagonists as likely antagonists, given Rick and Carol's mindsets.

Here's where it's at regarding Gabriel. You see him in the opening shot dealing with his grief and his GUILT. Him telling Deanna about the group is him absolving himself from the horror he cause the group of his parishioners. He wants to deflect his guilt and blame on to team Rick. Somehow he wants to feel better by having the group ousted for their "supposed" crime instead of team Deanna finding about his crime. I think he figures if can oust team Rick it will be easier for him to forget about his sin being he confessed it to team Rick
What a perfect take on this character's disintegrating ability to reason within the circumstances in which he finds himself.

Here's the thing (IMHO),
I have NEVER been in, or heard tell of, a situation where once the principal(s) that are being talked about behind their backs discover that fact, has been IMPROVED by delaying laying all cards on the table and going full disclosure.
Dead right, Wyld.

Buzzbomb
18-Mar-2015, 05:39 PM
Did anybody catch what Aaron said to Glen just before he became lunch? I couldn't make it out....

Awesome episode, I won't even quibble how Eugene got rid of the walkers on his tail, or how Glen teleported from the revolving doors back to the van. Dang - too late.

Fingers crossed Deanna & co have their heads screwed on & that Team Rick don't mess everything up...

Rick's eye was in shadow again on the closing shot (aping the governor's patch).

MinionZombie
18-Mar-2015, 05:53 PM
Did anybody catch what Aaron said to Glen just before he became lunch? I couldn't make it out....

Awesome episode, I won't even quibble how Eugene got rid of the walkers on his tail, or how Glen teleported from the revolving doors back to the van. Dang - too late.

1) You mean Noah? He said "don't let go" - which in the non-literal sense meant for Glenn to not let go of the good they've found at Alexandria, of the hope for a better future, the very thing that Noah was relishing the prospect of at the beginning of the episode.

*checks that scene again*

Oh wait, you mean Aiden ... "It was us, the others before, they didn't [pay? :confused: ], we did, it was us."

Yeah, what the hell was that one word? It's really annoying when you can't make out one important word, isn't it? Grrr...

Something ominous though, something referencing information that I'm sure will be revealed soon enough ... perhaps it's connected to the "W"/"Wolves" thing?

2) Glenn - there was plenty of time (as another scene happened) for Glenn to push his way out through the revolving doors onto the street (which was now clear thanks to Eugene's Pied Piper routine). As for Eugene, the two walkers that are coming after him specifically are both killed by him - the rest of the walkers are attracted to all the racket going on with Aiden and then at the revolving door, so Eugene's pathway back to the van is clear.

:)

AcesandEights
18-Mar-2015, 06:19 PM
as an aside...is it just me or is anyone else getting a Captain Janeway vibe off councillor Deanna?

Meant to comment on this with a hell yeah, from the very first episode she appeared in. Glad I'm not the only one.

DayoftheZ
18-Mar-2015, 06:56 PM
Oh wait, you mean Aiden ... "It was us, the others before, they didn't [pay? :confused: ], we did, it was us."

I think it was panic in reference to the people they lost on a run to that walker in "remember". I read it as him clearing him confessing Nicholas and he cost the people their lives.

Also as an interesting piece of trivia did you know the titles for the last five episodes in this series were taken from the quote Dale said back in "Vatos".

"I like what the father said to the son when he gave him a watch that had been handed down through generations. He said: 'I give you a mausoleum of all hope and desire which will fit your individual needs, no better than it did mine and my father before me. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you may forget it. For a moment, now and then, and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it.'"

Moon Knight
18-Mar-2015, 07:24 PM
I think it was panic in reference to the people they lost on a run to that walker in "remember". I read it as him clearing him confessing Nicholas and he cost the people their lives.

Also as an interesting piece of trivia did you know the titles for the last five episodes in this series were taken from the quote Dale said back in "Vatos".

Yep. This season is like one grand puzzle just waiting for the final pieces to appear so it can be put together and perfectly analyzed. From foreshadowing, to references, to a very important piece displayed right in the opening sequence, S5 is fascinating.

As far as what Aiden told Glenn- I got the jist of what he was trying to say and DayoftheZ just nailed it. Alexandria's people have a code, you get in trouble, you run for your life and leave anyone behind. It was also brought to the forefront during Abraham's fabulous Mother Dick scene.

Buzzbomb
18-Mar-2015, 07:45 PM

Um.. yeah - Thanks Minion - my mistake! :o

That "Vatos" quote thing is great - well spotted DayOfTheZ!

DayoftheZ
18-Mar-2015, 07:55 PM
Um.. yeah - Thanks Minion - my mistake! :o

That "Vatos" quote thing is great - well spotted DayOfTheZ!

I saw it somewhere on the internet, I am no where near observant enough to spot that myself!! You are right though it is great and its little things like that that I enjoy.

Staredge
19-Mar-2015, 04:12 AM
Closed Captioning is your friend for making out things that you just can't quite hear. :cool:

Neil
19-Mar-2015, 09:35 AM
Yep. This season is like one grand puzzle just waiting for the final pieces to appear so it can be put together and perfectly analyzed. From foreshadowing, to references, to a very important piece displayed right in the opening sequence, S5 is fascinating.
Indeed! Somehow those armless, legless zombies they found are going to be down baking too many cookies!

Buzzbomb
19-Mar-2015, 10:11 PM
Closed Captioning is your friend for making out things that you just can't quite hear. :cool:

Thanks Staredge - that clears things up!

NICHOLAS: "You left her, we both did. That's who we are..."
AIDEN: "OK it was us, it was us. The others before, they didn't panic. We did, it was us".

As DayOFTheZ pointed out - it likely refers to the people that Aiden & Nicholas talked about losing in "Remember"

Makes me wonder if:
The "her" Nicholas referred to was Emily's mother...
Also wondering if Sam wanted the gun for Emily. Perhaps Pete is taking his patients examinations too far?

Watching the episode again there are some nice juxtapositions of speeches - Abraham giving the pep talk to the construction crew / cut with Gabriel's 'angel of light' rant.

I just hope Carol doesn't act again unilaterally... Killing Pete would really play into Gabriel's hands.

Moon Knight
19-Mar-2015, 10:31 PM
Thanks Staredge - that clears things up!

NICHOLAS: "You left her, we both did. That's who we are..."
AIDEN: "OK it was us, it was us. The others before, they didn't panic. We did, it was us".

As DayOFTheZ pointed out - it likely refers to the people that Aiden & Nicholas talked about losing in "Remember"

Makes me wonder if:
The "her" Nicholas referred to was Emily's mother...
Also wondering if Sam wanted the gun for Emily. Perhaps Pete is taking his patients examinations too far?

Watching the episode again there are some nice juxtapositions of speeches - Abraham giving the pep talk to the construction crew / cut with Gabriel's 'angel of light' rant.

I just hope Carol doesn't act again unilaterally... Killing Pete would really play into Gabriel's hands.

Who is Emily? Did I miss something?

What are the chances that drunk Pete has to try and save Tara while heavily intoxicated?

Buzzbomb
20-Mar-2015, 08:43 AM
Who is Emily? Did I miss something?

No you ddn't miss anything - its my addled brain getting names wrong again... I meant to say Enid not Emily!...

Moon Knight
20-Mar-2015, 01:48 PM
No you ddn't miss anything - its my addled brain getting names wrong again... I meant to say Enid not Emily!...

Haha all good, man.

Looks like things aren't slowing down again anytime soon....
A little observation about the preview for this week.

You guys notice there are four graves instead of two as Rick and Deanna stand over them?

blind2d
20-Mar-2015, 03:46 PM
Woo! First off, yes, I'm alive and still keeping up with the show.
Secondly, Knife Party's 'Internet Friends' was used to good effect in this ep, but why would it be playing both times in the van? Does he just have that one track on repeat, or...? Weird, but that's Hollywood for you.
Thirdly, Gabe... Gabe Gabe Gabe... What are we going to do with you? Big silly...
Fourth, hell yeah! Abraham, Glenn, and even Eugene kicked some significant ass. Always nice to see.
All around this was just a really good episode. Looking forward to the next one. :)

MinionZombie
20-Mar-2015, 05:50 PM
Secondly, Knife Party's 'Internet Friends' was used to good effect in this ep, but why would it be playing both times in the van? Does he just have that one track on repeat, or...? Weird, but that's Hollywood for you.

It'd be budget reasons - just use the same song twice, particularly as you'd have audience recognition for it from earlier in the episode, rather than paying royalty fees for two songs when, really, it's not strictly necessary.

Moon Knight - indeed! Only two episodes left and I've got viewer jitters ... the tension of it all!!!

Moon Knight
20-Mar-2015, 06:46 PM
Internet Friends is awesome! I loved how the camera focused on Noah as the song said "and now you're going to die." They let us know what was gonna happen way in advance! Combine that with Noah's conversation with Reg about building for the future and I still had no idea he was "going to die".

MZ- Dude, I can't wait to see this all unfold!

kidgloves
20-Mar-2015, 11:23 PM
Excellent analysis of the episode

http://www.southgatemediagroup.com/biters-walkers/

Doc
21-Mar-2015, 11:24 AM
In a season that has been a muddled disappointment, these last few episodes have actually contained some strong elements to them. Still falls short to its Season Four predecessor, but it looks like they're finally picking up the pieces they lost early in the season.

I knew the moment he opened his mouth and had focus that Noah was a goner. Gotta kill off Noah to make room for Morgan, I guess. Typical WD formula. Didn't think it would be as graphic as they made it though! Or for Aiden! That was something you would see in GAR's films. I liked that very much.

The Alexandria Story line has been handled with greater care than, I thought it would be considering how uninspired the current writers under Gimple's wing have been through this season's output.

I do have though a few problems with yet ANOTHER radically imposed characterization on Rick to dictated the demands for the week's plot. Paranoid Rick doesn't seem to have come from any natural development and came into being at the moment Rick punched Aaron. Grr. That's the Walking Dead for you.

And I might be in the minority, but I don't find the Alexandria policy even remotely credible. If they were this dumb they would never would have survived so long, much less thrived. The construction crew in the comics weren't so bright either, but they had an actual defensive procedure in the event of trouble. The 'procedure' of the TV Alexandrians is simply to leave for dead anyone who gets in a jam.

Those gripes aside, I can't wait what the last two episodes have in store for us.