PDA

View Full Version : Impractical Jokers (TV series) - Any fans here?

Neil
13-Apr-2015, 04:40 PM
Recently got into it!

42uMLwL63RI

MinionZombie
13-Apr-2015, 04:57 PM
Hell yeah!

I knew of Q through the Tell 'em Steve-Dave podcast, which I've been listening to since the beginning, and thankfully the show finally came to British telly a few months back (the BBC 3 British version was shite and completely missed the point of the central cast). I don't usually enjoy these kind of shows, but this one I got into - initally because of the TESD/Q connection, but then I really enjoyed the interplay between the four guys (friends since high school).

The latest season hasn't been aired in the UK yet (it's still airing in America). "Practically Live" (IIRC) is a sort of documentary they shot for their live tour - I saw that on YouTube if you're interested - and it's groovy to get a behind the scenes look at those guys together between shows.

Geordie9
13-Apr-2015, 06:19 PM
Me , love it!

rongravy
14-Apr-2015, 04:46 AM
Love it, but Joker's Wild was a suck spinoff.

Neil
14-Apr-2015, 07:34 AM
There's a UK version? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/1WPcyS7BsSG1WxPBSB5pvJF/the-impractical-jokers

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2015, 09:37 AM
There's a UK version? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/1WPcyS7BsSG1WxPBSB5pvJF/the-impractical-jokers

I think it's a case of was a UK version. I remember a couple of years ago they were trying different line ups - but it was just crap beyond belief - the main reason being that they completely ignored what makes the original version so good - the four guys themselves (who have been friends since high school and, to the general public, total unknowns ... not so much now with the success of the show, but certainly in the first couple of seasons, and still to an extent).

Anyway, the UK pilot versions just cobbled together comedians who either didn't know each other or only knew each other from the circuit - and, most importantly, had already been on television! Recognisable faces who'd already been on BBC and Channel 4 comedy shows (panel and sitcom). Marek Larwood and Roisin Conaty, for instance, might be relatively niche - but they're far from unknown!

The groups they cobbled together (including, IIRC, one of the guys now doing voices for Thunderbirds Are Go - and who was in Cockneys VS Zombies) just didn't have any real chemistry - they felt like manufactured groups (which they were) - and I've heard nothing since of the UK version, which is fine by me as the original is where it's at.

I saw an episode of Joker's Wild, and I agree, it didn't work - the presentational style (as if wacky sketches were true life tales) felt awkward ... it would have been better if they'd just gone full sketch show with it and not done that strange mix where the introductions to sketches seemed to claim that the events that followed were real (even though, clearly, they were all scripted sketches). Despite understanding that difference, framing them that way just made no sense to me and was just an obstacle - like I say, I think an outright sketch show would have been a better way of framing it.

Neil
17-Apr-2015, 11:06 AM
This was in the episode I watched this morning... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1cH4a5Uix8

MinionZombie
17-Apr-2015, 04:15 PM
Who's your favourite?

Mine would be Q, but then I was already a fan of his through the Tell Em Steve-Dave podcast, so aside from Q it'd have to be Sal ... loved the ninja bit. :D

rongravy
18-Apr-2015, 11:03 PM
Scoopski potatoes!!!
I'm a big Joe fan. He makes that show awesome.

bassman
19-Apr-2015, 12:55 AM
Larryyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

MinionZombie
19-Apr-2015, 09:58 AM
Scoopski potatoes!!!
I'm a big Joe fan. He makes that show awesome.

That episode was repeated last night and I happened upon that moment channel hopping - a brilliant bit of silliness. :D

Larryyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

That worked really well in the queue jumping challenge ... well, right up until the end. :D

Also, from Q - "Hey mustache" / "Don't call me mustache!" :p

rongravy
21-Apr-2015, 12:57 AM
I'm not a big Q fan. I'd totally be down with them dumping him, and letting me take his spot...
I ain't jumping out of any planes, though.

Mike70
27-Apr-2015, 12:36 AM
NO. Shocking I know but this show is not for me. I find $hit like that that beyond juvenile and way over the border in puerile land. Cannot stand practical jokes and think that people acting the fool in public are degenerate trash.

Did I mention that I cannot take a joke and have a serious problem with people who either act the fool in public in order to "shock" people or pull pranks on people in some childish effort, if one is a 5 year old, to be funny.

Neil
27-Apr-2015, 10:05 AM
NO. Shocking I know but this show is not for me. I find $hit like that that beyond juvenile and way over the border in puerile land. Cannot stand practical jokes and think that people acting the fool in public are degenerate trash.

Did I mention that I cannot take a joke and have a serious problem with people who either act the fool in public in order to "shock" people or pull pranks on people in some childish effort, if one is a 5 year old, to be funny.

Seriously? Oh well... Shame :)

C8Gs_T8ZepI

Neil
14-Aug-2015, 11:07 AM
100th episode - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/trutvs-impractical-jokers-feature-live-815033

The only thing is now surely they're so well know they can't do the very thing they've become famous for? ie: They'll be recognised instantly and people will know they're on TV etc?

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2015, 04:41 PM
100th episode - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/trutvs-impractical-jokers-feature-live-815033

The only thing is now surely they're so well know they can't do the very thing they've become famous for? ie: They'll be recognised instantly and people will know they're on TV etc?

Well, their show may be popular - but there's far more people who don't watch the show than do ... just like any show. On occasion Brian Quinn has mentioned things like this in passing on the Tell 'Em Steve-Dave podcast, recalling times when they end up meeting a fan of the show (who are usually pretty good about it and don't want to draw attention to them), but they have occasionally had to scrap some filming I think, although that's not exclusively down to being recognised.

Despite the broad appeal of the show, New York is a city of millions of people, so the odds are still pretty good in their favour, I think. :)

The new season starts on Monday on Comedy Central, by the way - 10pm with two episodes back-to-back. :)

They're numering it as Season 5 here in the UK, but it's actually Season 4 ... because what was called 'Season 4' here in the UK was actually 'Season 3.5' (they filmed additional episodes, about 13 IIRC, after they'd already shot Season 3, before their contracts with TruTV came up for renegotiation).

Neil
14-Aug-2015, 08:05 PM
The new season starts on Monday on Comedy Central, by the way - 10pm with two episodes back-to-back. :).

Thanks!