PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun 2 (film)

Neil
24-Jul-2015, 06:32 PM
As long as the jets are real say Tom - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72473

Tom setting the record straight on whether he will reprise his role as Maverick, “If I can figure it out, if all of us can figure it out, it’d be fun to do, I’d like to fly those jets again.” Cruise continued, “But we got to do all the jets practical, no CGI on the jets…I’m saying right now no CGI on the jets, if we can figure all that out and the Department of Defense will allow us to do it, that would be fun.”

Wonder if they could even get the insurance!

bassman
25-Jul-2015, 03:58 PM
"The jets have to be real. And I have to be hanging from the back of them by a dog chain that's wrapped around my testicles. Breaking the sound barrier."

I seem to remember HPotD collectively hating on Top Gun in the past, but I'm a supporter of the flick. I've always really enjoyed it. I'll no doubt see a sequel, but I wish Tony Scott was still around to see it through.

rongravy
25-Jul-2015, 11:43 PM
I seem to remember HPotD collectively hating on Top Gun in the past, but I'm a supporter of the flick. I've always really enjoyed it. I'll no doubt see a sequel, but I wish Tony Scott was still around to see it through.

Ugh, on your advice, I watched the first/only one. Well, as much as I could get through. I just didn't get it. And I can't blame it on hate of Tom Cruise, because I didn't care for it back in the day, and I have actually liked a few movies he's done throughout the years, like Rain Man...
And I actually liked Minority Report.
And whoever edited TG must've done it with a chainsaw. :elol:
I will say this. If they could get errbody back they could make some serious dough with it. That, or it'd be a glorious tanking. I'd have to look up who is all in it, but I bet Val Kilmer isn't busy. Might have to get on a diet, though. I don't really have a problem with it happening, I'd be curious how much love it gets at the box office. Not really sure what I'm saying, in the end, but am not trying to be wah wahhh trashing it. I did actually sit down and try to endure it. Besides, isn't he still busy squeezing the last drops out of Mission Impossible?

bassman
31-May-2018, 05:58 PM
Cruise posted the first image for the first day of filming. I honestly thought it was all just talk and they’d never really make the film....

https://instagram.com/p/BjbjBaRjE7H/?utm_source=ig_embed

Neil
31-May-2018, 08:28 PM
Cruise posted the first image for the first day of filming. I honestly thought it was all just talk and they’d never really make the film....

https://instagram.com/p/BjbjBaRjE7H/?utm_source=ig_embed
Yeh!!

EvilNed
01-Jun-2018, 05:52 AM
Tonally Top Gun is steeped so deep in 80's aesthetics and culture that any modern day sequel is going to have to be a very different type of film not to come off as ludicrous.

But sure, let's see what they do.

Neil
01-Jun-2018, 08:24 AM
Tonally Top Gun is steeped so deep in 80's aesthetics and culture that any modern day sequel is going to have to be a very different type of film not to come off as ludicrous.

But sure, let's see what they do.Agreed! But jet planes!

MinionZombie
01-Jun-2018, 09:31 AM
Wow, it actually is happening, eh?

Ned makes a good point about the tone. Fingers crossed this turns out surprisingly good and not some awkward embarrassment.

shootemindehead
01-Jun-2018, 11:20 AM
Is Val coming back?

No way he'd fit into the cockpit of an F-14 these days, and that's a two seater.

:lol:

#ihatetopgun

EvilNed
01-Jun-2018, 12:32 PM
Is Val coming back?

No way he'd fit into the cockpit of an F-14 these days, and that's a two seater.

#ihatetopgun

You're not up to date. He's got cancer and is thin as a plank.

bassman
01-Jun-2018, 01:35 PM
Yeah, unfortunately Kilmer isn’t looking good at all.

My biggest hope for TG2 is that they keep the main theme from the original. Hearing that 80’s goodness in theater gave me goosebumps when they did the re-release several years back.

With “Archer” having made popular use of “Danger Zone”, it makes me wonder if that will somehow be involved...

shootemindehead
01-Jun-2018, 06:14 PM

True. Last time I saw him he was the size of a house and I can't say I follow celeb news all that much.

Cancer eh? Ugh. I hate that bloody thing.

Neil
01-Jun-2018, 06:58 PM

I thought he'd got past his cancer now?

EvilNed
01-Jun-2018, 07:15 PM
With “Archer” having made popular use of “Danger Zone”, it makes me wonder if that will somehow be involved...

The trailer will feature the song Danger Zone reimagened with a dramatic touch, overlayed with fade-in and outs of shots of Cruise and Jets. Mark my words.

I thought he'd got past his cancer now?

Cancer doesn't work that way. You're not past your cancer until a few years after the last sign of any malignant cells.

bassman
02-Jun-2018, 01:25 AM
The trailer will feature the song Danger Zone reimagened with a dramatic touch, overlayed with fade-in and outs of shots of Cruise and Jets. Mark my words.

Now I’m going to be let down if this doesn’t happen.

The recent Mission Impossible trailer used something similar to great effect. I’ve kind of lost interest in the MI series, but seeing that trailer on the big screen got me excited.

EvilNed
02-Jun-2018, 08:16 AM

Now I’m going to be let down if this doesn’t happen.

The recent Mission Impossible trailer used something similar to great effect. I’ve kind of lost interest in the MI series, but seeing that trailer on the big screen got me excited.

KAOdjqyG37A

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2018, 09:48 AM
KAOdjqyG37A

:lol::lol::lol:

Flippin' 'eck that's spot-on! :stunned:

shootemindehead
02-Jun-2018, 10:05 AM
Brilliant that.

Bawws and booj's. :lol:

bassman
02-Jun-2018, 03:24 PM

That’s fantastic...

I just had it pointed out to me recently that while everyone associates that “bwaaa” with Inception, the film itself never actually uses that. It’d become such a big talking point from the trailer that a lot of people naturally associate it with the film but it’s actually never used...

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2018, 04:18 PM

That’s fantastic...

I just had it pointed out to me recently that while everyone associates that “bwaaa” with Inception, the film itself never actually uses that. It’d become such a big talking point from the trailer that a lot of people naturally associate it with the film but it’s actually never used...

I think the "bwaaaa" was indeed in the Inception trailer, but it wasn't in the actual movie. There were various post-Inception trailers that copied it - and a bunch that used the music from the Inception trailer to do re-imagined trailers for existing movies (there was a very good one for Ghostbusters IIRC).

bassman
06-Jun-2018, 08:48 PM
Surprisingly, Val “Iceman” Kilmer will indeed be making an appearance!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/the-iceman-is-back-as-val-kilmer-suits-up-for-top-gun-2-943

bassman
03-Jul-2018, 08:00 PM
Miles Teller(Whiplash, Fantastic Four) has been cast as Goose’s son.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/miles-teller-to-fly-high-as-goose-s-son-for-top-gun-maverick-265

Hopefully they’re not relying too much on “hey, remember THIS in the original movie???”, but it’s likely...

bassman
23-Aug-2018, 06:09 PM
Looks like this flick must have a good script, as well respected actors Ed Harris and Jon Hamm have officially signed on...

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jon-hamm-ed-harris-join-tom-cruise-in-top-gun-maverick-503-02

EvilNed
23-Aug-2018, 06:19 PM
Looks like this flick must have a good script, as well respected actors Ed Harris and Jon Hamm have officially signed on...

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jon-hamm-ed-harris-join-tom-cruise-in-top-gun-maverick-503-02

I don't think a good script is necessary to tie those names to your production. Money is more likely the factor.

bassman
23-Aug-2018, 06:25 PM
I don't think a good script is necessary to tie those names to your production. Money is more likely the factor.

True, that’s always a possibility. I was mostly thinking it could be a sign of a good script because of Harris’ output in recent years. Lately he’s seemed to be in a comfortable stage in his career where it doesn’t have to be about money anymore and he’s been focused on quality, for the most part.

EvilNed
23-Aug-2018, 07:25 PM
True, that’s always a possibility. I was mostly thinking it could be a sign of a good script because of Harris’ output in recent years. Lately he’s seemed to be in a comfortable stage in his career where it doesn’t have to be about money anymore and he’s been focused on quality, for the most part.

You do know he was in Geostorm, right?

bassman
23-Aug-2018, 09:33 PM
You do know he was in Geostorm, right?

:lol: No I hadn’t thought about that one. I did say “for the MOST part”.:p