PDA

View Full Version : Sex robots

Neil
15-Sep-2015, 09:10 AM
No, this isn't a cynical attempt at creating the most visited thread on the forum :)

The BBC has quite an interesting article on the topic - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34118482

A campaign has been launched calling for a ban on the development of robots that can be used for sex.

Such a use of the technology is unnecessary and undesirable, said campaign leader Dr Kathleen Richardson.

Sex dolls already on the market are becoming more sophisticated and some are now hoping to build artificial intelligence into their products.

David Levy, author of the book Love and Sex with Robots, believes that there will be a huge market for dolls such as Roxxy and predicts that by 2050, intimate relationships between robots and humans will be commonplace.

ps: Although this thread isn't an attempt at getting the most hits on the forum, it is at attempt to get MZ's quicket ever visit to one :sneaky:

MinionZombie
15-Sep-2015, 09:58 AM
ps: Although this thread isn't an attempt at getting the most hits on the forum, it is at attempt to get MZ's quicket ever visit to one :sneaky:

32 minutes after posting, here I am, and happy to oblige! I can't go disappointing the troops now, can I? :p Not my fastest response, I'll admit, but what'evs. :lol:

An interesting issue in many ways. I do think those campaigning against it are a bit uptight and reactionary, and also a bit selective (even sexist?) in their approach to how they imagine sex robots would be used (assuming it'd only be 'dirty, 'orrible men' who are incapable of respecting their fellow human beings). There's plenty of sex devices made for women - and sex robots would likewise be there for the ladies too (those fancy dolls that hit the headlines a few years back have male versions available for women and gay men to enjoy).

Some of the other questions being raised in that article are valid - but are decidedly ahead of the times (e.g. 'can a robot adopt a child with a human companion?'). We've got a loooooooong way to go before then.

I do think that ultimately this could help advance - and at a quicker rate - the pursuit of A.I. due to a general human yearning. As they say in that article, there are those who are bereaved, there are those who are incapable (for whatever reason) of forming lasting intimate relationships (or perhaps any type of relationship) with a fellow human being, so there's a lot of possibilities for helping people with these "artificial humans" beyond the obvious titilation and giggles that accompany the term "sex robot".

Neil
15-Sep-2015, 11:35 AM
And quite timely given the "Humans" TV series that was on a couple of months ago!

DayoftheZ
15-Sep-2015, 09:13 PM
32 minutes after posting, here I am, and happy to oblige! I can't go disappointing the troops now, can I? :p Not my fastest response, I'll admit, but what'evs. :lol:

An interesting issue in many ways. I do think those campaigning against it are a bit uptight and reactionary, and also a bit selective (even sexist?) in their approach to how they imagine sex robots would be used (assuming it'd only be 'dirty, 'orrible men' who are incapable of respecting their fellow human beings). There's plenty of sex devices made for women - and sex robots would likewise be there for the ladies too (those fancy dolls that hit the headlines a few years back have male versions available for women and gay men to enjoy).

Some of the other questions being raised in that article are valid - but are decidedly ahead of the times (e.g. 'can a robot adopt a child with a human companion?'). We've got a loooooooong way to go before then.

I do think that ultimately this could help advance - and at a quicker rate - the pursuit of A.I. due to a general human yearning. As they say in that article, there are those who are bereaved, there are those who are incapable (for whatever reason) of forming lasting intimate relationships (or perhaps any type of relationship) with a fellow human being, so there's a lot of possibilities for helping people with these "artificial humans" beyond the obvious titilation and giggles that accompany the term "sex robot".

Plus, robot are sexy. :shifty:

croakker
16-Sep-2015, 04:59 AM
LOL found a picture of Dr. Kathleen Richardson......Now I see the reason against her opposition.

Neil
16-Sep-2015, 09:20 AM
LOL found a picture of Dr. Kathleen Richardson......Now I see the reason against her opposition.

Harsh... But, the left option is looking a tad appealing?

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/anthropology/people/research_staff/k_richardson/Kathleen_with_PR2.jpg

ps: Sorry! :)

MoonSylver
16-Sep-2015, 04:45 PM
I, for one, welcome the "coming" of our horny robot overlords. :evil:

Neil
17-Sep-2015, 08:53 AM
I, for one, welcome the "coming" of our horny robot overlords. :evil:

No doubt, with plenty of WD40 required?

MoonSylver
17-Sep-2015, 05:06 PM
No doubt, with plenty of WD40 required?

Proper lubrication is essential in the maintenance and operation of any equipment. :D