PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! Fear The Walking Dead 1x05 episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2015, 11:00 AM
Please keep all talk of episode 1x05 "Cobalt" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Directed by: Kari Skogland
Written by: David Wiener

Neil
26-Sep-2015, 06:12 PM
Last but one episode already :(

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2015, 06:28 PM
Last but one episode already :(

True, but the week after it finishes we get straight into TWD Season 6, then the Xmas break, then another dose of TWD S6, and then it probably won't be too long before FTWD:S2 gets going! *phew!* :D

Neil
26-Sep-2015, 07:43 PM
True, but the week after it finishes we get straight into TWD Season 6, then the Xmas break, then another dose of TWD S6, and then it probably won't be too long before FTWD:S2 gets going! *phew!* :D

..and we've got this airplane episode thingy in there too?

Ed
26-Sep-2015, 07:58 PM
If I've read it correctly, they're going to spread the airplane episode out over some season 6 episodes during commercial breaks.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/28/walking-dead-airline

Neil
26-Sep-2015, 08:24 PM
If I've read it correctly, they're going to spread the airplane episode out over some season 6 episodes during commercial breaks.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/28/walking-dead-airline

Some episodes? Not during one, but many? That sounds very fractured?

Ed
26-Sep-2015, 10:25 PM
Some episodes? Not during one, but many? That sounds very fractured?

"The AMC special will first debut online, and then will be released in a series of chapters that will air during the sixth season of The Walking Dead, out this fall. The special has no set premiere date yet."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/28/9221865/walking-dead-amc-special-airline-zombies

Buzzbomb
26-Sep-2015, 10:39 PM
"The AMC special will first debut online, and then will be released in a series of chapters that will air during the sixth season of The Walking Dead, out this fall. The special has no set premiere date yet."
Well that sounds like a plane crash...
:clown:

Neil
26-Sep-2015, 10:52 PM
^ o m g !

slayerized
27-Sep-2015, 08:04 PM
So tonight's episode is called "Cobalt." I remember early on that the series was being developed under the code name of Cobalt. I wonder if tonight's storyline is the creative impetus of the entire series?

facestabber
28-Sep-2015, 02:45 AM
I've always struggled with the idea of our military folding or rather losing to Walkers. But this episode addressed that issue by implying the military just abandons the civilian world. I easily understand that soldiers would desert to their family's once it's gotten out of hand. But even years into TWD world there is still a chance that the military has a stronghold established somewhere.

The idea of a stadium full of walkers is down right intimidating. I can only hope we see those doors breached. Walkers in those numbers would be a believable example of how society could fall. Even us gun toting Yankees would be in deep shit against those odds. Solid episode. Enjoying this ride.

Thorn
28-Sep-2015, 02:29 PM
So tonight's episode is called "Cobalt." I remember early on that the series was being developed under the code name of Cobalt. I wonder if tonight's storyline is the creative impetus of the entire series?

Agreed, that is a sight that could be very powerful and intimidating. My thought is after they secured the doors did they still use the stadium as a dumping ground through some means?

I think the safe play is destroying the place but how to do that safely, and ensure you do not burn the city to the ground or allow th undead inside to roam free?

Moon Knight
28-Sep-2015, 03:12 PM
The stadium Walkers are definitely gonna tear shit up. They have to. The show has been VERY shy with showing Walkers and what they can do so this HAS to be the payoff. If so, I'm loving it.

What's with this random Randall Flagg type of character? He seems pretty interesting if not a bit over the top. I have mixed feelings about this guy. Gotta just wait and see how he factors in everything.

Daniel is the man. That's all I'm gonna say. Such a great character. Did he HAVE to torture this poor guy though? Hmmmm.

MinionZombie
28-Sep-2015, 04:31 PM
Really cool episode, this one! Inside the compound where all those people were being kept was - I'll use the word again - chilling. The lack of resources, the general squalor, the corruption etc. This crafty bugger in the sharp suit seems like an interesting character - he knows what's about to be up ... but you could never trust a guy like that. Look at the way he tortured poor Doug ... I wonder what became of Doug ... was he 'humanely put down'?

I dug how they developed the military guys more in this episode. It wasn't a case of making them saints or sinners, but more complex kinds of folks. Clearly those guys didn't respect their C/O, so I wonder if they seized the opportunity in the library to snuff him out/deliberately fail to save/protect him? The guy clearly had poor leadership skills - the kind that don't bring people along with you when times are tough, there's no respect there, no trust. Seeing what the other soldiers thought of their situation, from the dark humour of dealing with having to put down infected civilians, to how they interacted with Travis ... like that one guy who had taken a severe blow to the face for his 'temporary lack of patriotism'.

Like all of you, that climax with the doors all chained up and straining against a horde of the undead creeped me out. I dearly hope we see that burst open and swarm L.A. for a hell of a season closer ... an arena full of walkers? OH MY!

Dealing with that you'd have to somehow block off all the entrances - you'd have to build walls right up against the doors. Sandbag them first of all, then build a great big wall around those weak points. Burning would be too dangerous, as would explosives, as would sending in a team to clear the place out (I'd imagine even the elevated portions would be swamped - and certainly not blocked off for a safe session of sniping) ... so completely blocking every single doorway (and any low windows) would have to be the only real course of action ... but with "COBALT" coming over the radios there'll be nobody to do it.

Also interesting to see how the medical and military staff were dealing with the wounded they were bringing in. They're relatively well informed, they know what needs to be done as soon as they identify a bite, and they have the equipment to do it. It's great to see these little practical details on the screen.

Finally - agreed with the senitments on Daniel - a seriously awesome character. Ruben Blades is rocking it, and Daniel is a very interesting chap! There's some dark things going on in his head, but he's got what it takes to survive ... I hope we get to keep him for a good, long while.

FTWD 1x05 Memes:

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/fear-walking-dead-1x05-memes.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FZvrocDp5gI/Vgllwv-zh-I/AAAAAAAAENw/X8X1Kexn3OE/s1600/Fear_The_Walking_Dead_Season_1_Meme_1x05_Travis_Da le_Hershel_Moral_Conscience_Show_Bad_Idea_DeadShed .jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nf-kZE4fc_s/VgllxIz52gI/AAAAAAAAEN0/M9qF0SWMjgA/s1600/Fear_The_Walking_Dead_Season_1_Meme_Daniel_Stadium _Door_Sign_Don%2527t_Dead_Open_Inside_Rick_1x05_De adShed.jpg

Neil
29-Sep-2015, 08:39 AM
The idea of a stadium full of walkers is down right intimidating. I can only hope we see those doors breached. Walkers in those numbers would be a believable example of how society could fall. Even us gun toting Yankees would be in deep shit against those odds. Solid episode. Enjoying this ride.
The stadium was sort of lost on me... So what supposedly happened in there? Is that where a huge lump of the local community went?

MinionZombie
29-Sep-2015, 09:24 AM
The stadium was sort of lost on me... So what supposedly happened in there? Is that where a huge lump of the local community went?

Yeah, I took it that that was a place where they moved a whole chunk of people they'd rounded up (something like 2,000 of them, right?) - but the infection/walkers broke out. Sounds like it was awfully over-stuffed and under-staffed and things just got totally out of control.

Can't wait for next week's season finale!!! :hyper:

slayerized
29-Sep-2015, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I took it that that was a place where they moved a whole chunk of people they'd rounded up (something like 2,000 of them, right?) - but the infection/walkers broke out. Sounds like it was awfully over-stuffed and under-staffed and things just got totally out of control.

Can't wait for next week's season finale!!! :hyper:

Yeah I'm not completely sold on the whole "we rounded them up and put them in the arena" idea. First off if there are 2,000 undead in there, that arena is going to have to be right next door to the medical facility otherwise it's not going to make much of a difference...2,000 in a population of potentially 10 million is not that much (the military couldn't have evacuated everybody!).

Also you have to know how Los Angeles is laid out (I know this is just TV!) but I was trying to figure out what arena they supposedly used. Staples Center is smack in downtown, The Forum is in Inglewood out by LAX and LA Sports Arena (my guess) is south of downtown by the LA Memorial Coliseum (the filming appears to be at Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver). Any way you look at it - that is quite a hike for Daniel through some pretty hostile territory! In the previews it looks like he just out for an evening stroll!

Also as I was typing I just thought of something -- from the previews it looks like Daniel will unleash the walkers from the arena on the unsuspecting military in the compound...just like???? Day of the Dead!! when Miguel went up to open the gate and lead the zombies down to the compound to wipe out Rhodes and the gang!

Anybody remember what Miguel's last name was? Salazar!!

Neil
29-Sep-2015, 06:13 PM
Also as I was typing I just thought of something -- from the previews it looks like Daniel will unleash the walkers from the arena on the unsuspecting military in the compound...just like???? Day of the Dead!! when Miguel went up to open the gate and lead the zombies down to the compound to wipe out Rhodes and the gang!

Anybody remember what Miguel's last name was? Salazar!!

OMG! Uber theory that!!! Nice! 10 points to you!

Moon Knight
29-Sep-2015, 11:17 PM

I believe that's where the armed forces were dumping all the Walkers and Infected.

Neil
30-Sep-2015, 07:43 AM
I believe that's where the armed forces were dumping all the Walkers and Infected.

But wasn't there talk of "it all happening so quick"? And implying people were getting infected/bitten/changing so they shut them all in? It's a shame, because it was clearly a situation that could have been made more of and described better? Or did I zone out and miss such a description?

facestabber
30-Sep-2015, 02:18 PM
But wasn't there talk of "it all happening so quick"? And implying people were getting infected/bitten/changing so they shut them all in? It's a shame, because it was clearly a situation that could have been made more of and described better? Or did I zone out and miss such a description?

Youre right Neil. The tied up soldier said it was chaos and they couldn't tell walkers from the rest so he locked the door. Horrible way to die.

slayerized
30-Sep-2015, 04:30 PM
Youre right Neil. The tied up soldier said it was chaos and they couldn't tell walkers from the rest so he locked the door. Horrible way to die.

Something I noticed...at the end of the episode Daniel walks right up to the doors of the arena. You can see the walkers pushing against the doors trying to get out yet there are no military personnel anywhere around. Wouldn't you think if they knew there 2,000 walkers that close to them that they would at least post some guards?? The gates to the quarantine zone at least had sandbags and barbed wire and a company of soldiers posted but the arena only had some chains and wooden planks and nobody guarding it! Just an observation...

facestabber
30-Sep-2015, 06:40 PM
Something I noticed...at the end of the episode Daniel walks right up to the doors of the arena. You can see the walkers pushing against the doors trying to get out yet there are no military personnel anywhere around. Wouldn't you think if they knew there 2,000 walkers that close to them that they would at least post some guards?? The gates to the quarantine zone at least had sandbags and barbed wire and a company of soldiers posted but the arena only had some chains and wooden planks and nobody guarding it! Just an observation...

My guess is that the military is having personnel issues. They have to operate with what they have and their number 1 priority is to protect themselves/unit. Either those doors are bursting open or the military is dropping a 1000lb incendiary. I hope its the former.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that the military is having personnel issues. They have to operate with what they have and their number 1 priority is to protect themselves/unit. Either those doors are bursting open or the military is dropping a 1000lb incendiary. I hope its the former.

Moon Knight
01-Oct-2015, 12:17 AM
It's actually protocol at times of disaster the Military gathers civilians in stadiums with one example being Hurricane Katrina. That's a double edge sword because if many are infected in such close quarters it can definitely spread quickly. I can only imagine what went down in that stadium and what horrors manifest from it. Haunting stuff.

Rottedfreak
01-Oct-2015, 08:19 AM
They could have been refugees from besieged states days before this series began.

MagicMoonMonkey
03-Oct-2015, 11:25 AM
It's actually protocol at times of disaster the Military gathers civilians in stadiums with one example being Hurricane Katrina. That's a double edge sword because if many are infected in such close quarters it can definitely spread quickly. I can only imagine what went down in that stadium and what horrors manifest from it. Haunting stuff.

Seems to me that the stadium infection scenario is the same sort of gig that went down in 28 weeks later when the military locked everyone in the underground car park.
This final episode is shaping up to be a homage to Day and another Salazar will unleash the undead horde upon the military antagonist.

On a side note, Daniels's father's name was Miguel Salazar.

Doc
03-Oct-2015, 10:12 PM
Honestly, how thinks he's going to secure his wife's release by declaring war on the military in the midst of a small, military-occupied safe-zone is anyone's guess. :confused:

Good to see that reporter woman from Resident Evil 2 is fine. Maybe, she'll have better luck this time.

slayerized
04-Oct-2015, 03:15 PM
So do you think that scene at the beginning of TWD TS-19 where Shane tries to bust Rick out of the hospital...the shootout between the military and the medical staff - think that was their version of "Cobalt"? I still think that was one of the most intense scenes of the entire franchise so far and is one the best representations of society in collapse...

MinionZombie
04-Oct-2015, 03:52 PM
So do you think that scene at the beginning of TWD TS-19 where Shane tries to bust Rick out of the hospital...the shootout between the military and the medical staff - think that was their version of "Cobalt"? I still think that was one of the most intense scenes of the entire franchise so far and is one the best representations of society in collapse...

Good call. Makes sense to me. :thumbsup: