PDA

View Full Version : Night of the Living Dead workprint - New footage

capncnut
15-Oct-2015, 09:05 PM
An unseen nine minute basement scene from Night of the Living Dead has been discovered while "gathering elements" for a new restoration. Pretty much the most important discovery in the entire horror genre, as far as I'm concerned.

Link: http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/60770#.ViAHrX6rTIU

MoonSylver
15-Oct-2015, 11:30 PM
:stunned::hyper:

This is most unexpected, & ultra cool. :cool:

Neil
16-Oct-2015, 07:14 AM
An unseen nine minute basement scene from Night of the Living Dead has been discovered while "gathering elements" for a new restoration. Pretty much the most important discovery in the entire horror genre, as far as I'm concerned.

Link: http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/60770#.ViAHrX6rTIUWow! I guess the main question is, why was it left out in the first place... and does it therefore belong in the film now?

None-the-less, would love to see the footage!

capncnut
16-Oct-2015, 09:32 AM
There has been no fanfare and the Night peeps are keeping very tight lipped on the subject. To me, that indicates a release announcement is coming... at least once all the signatures are on a dotted line. I quite liked the suggestion in the link about having a scene branching option on the DVD.

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2015, 10:10 AM
**BABBLES INCOHERENTLY** :stunned::hyper::thumbsup:

EFF YES!!!

Aye, a branching option would be perfect so viewers can choose. I'd love to see this footage - and a new, crisp, HD restoration of the flick. A new definitive release is surely inbound (cool that Scorsese is working on it, too!) ... and another I wonder about, with new footage added into the movie from the original shooting of the film, might that somehow help them re-establish Copyright over the film?

capncnut
16-Oct-2015, 12:32 PM
Yep, Nick. As this is a new version of the film, the filmmakers can finally start clawing back some buckage.

bassman
16-Oct-2015, 02:21 PM
C'mon beautifully remastered Blu Ray! Night is the only one I'm needing on the format. I knew there was a reason I'd held out this long...

Buzzbomb
16-Oct-2015, 03:04 PM
Wow! I guess the main question is, why was it left out in the first place... and does it therefore belong in the film now?

I think in the 2005 "Special Collector's Edition" DVD extras George & Co. said that the awkward cut in the cellar was made at the request of a distributor, but when they came to restore it, the footage couldn't be found.

This is really great news! Hope we don't have to wait for 2017 to see it though...

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2015, 04:49 PM
Yep, Nick. As this is a new version of the film, the filmmakers can finally start clawing back some buckage.

That'd be good for them, albeit decades later than it should have been (and imagine what they've lost as a result of that slip up over those years!) - rather looking forward to an announcement! I think you'll be able to consider me a Blu-Ray pre-order. :)

wayzim
16-Oct-2015, 10:21 PM
Wow! I guess the main question is, why was it left out in the first place... and does it therefore belong in the film now?

I am very cool on this, especially since the last time I got really invested in news like this, it was with the rerelease of The Exorcist in 2000. Honestly, the spiderwalk sequence should never have been put back in, it mocked the death of Burke rather than augment it, and other snips added nothing to the movie as a whole. However, I also love being proven wrong in my cynicism. Bring it on.

Thorn
03-Feb-2016, 07:18 PM

Link: http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/60770#.ViAHrX6rTIU

Huge news, thank you.

Neil
04-Feb-2016, 07:26 AM
Huge news, thank you.

At the very least if it's just an extra on a bluray it will be great!

Rancid Carcass
04-Feb-2016, 11:47 PM
Wow, this is great news!

Maybe now we'll finally get the answers to all those classic zombie debates we have around this place - Do zombies eat animals?! What is an acceptable 'hobble' speed?! Why did Rhodes leave gate open?! Nine glorious minutes of lost footage will explain everything for sure - we're off to the promised land! :shifty: :D

MinionZombie
05-Feb-2016, 09:25 AM
Wow, this is great news!

Maybe now we'll finally get the answers to all those classic zombie debates we have around this place - Do zombies eat animals?! What is an acceptable 'hobble' speed?! Why did Rhodes leave gate open?! Nine glorious minutes of lost footage will explain everything for sure - we're off to the promised land! :shifty: :D

:lol::lol::lol:

And the hot button issue of money being used to create a local economy in the post zombie apocalypse world!

I'm having flashbacks of that 'money in Land' thread ... ooh err. :eek:

JDP
05-Feb-2016, 10:39 AM
Wow, this is great news!

But there's more, so much more that remains unanswered. Like for example:

In Dawn Peter says he has seen many people get bitten and it takes them about three days to kick the bucket and come back as zombies (and we see that Roger fulfills Peter's prediction very well, as he lasts about a couple of days or so before he dies and comes back as a zombie), yet in Land bitten people die in a matter of an hour or so and therefore there's a rush to dispose of them lest they suddenly become a threat.

Why in blazes didn't Dr. Logan become a zombie??? He was not shot in the head and there's plenty of time for him to have turned into one (Dr. Grimes in Night clearly says that it only takes "a matter of minutes" for a dead person to come back as a zombie.)

How come Rickles is smart enough to head towards the corral area to try to escape the zombie invasion of the bunker, yet when he arrives there he turns into a total idiot and starts running in circles so that the slowly approaching zombies have a chance to catch him, instead of making his way to the corral caves and head for the silo just like the escaping civilians were doing?

How can Flyboy's bullets ricochet so many damn times??? Super-energetic 1970s bullets?

What exactly were the bikers tossing grenades at during their initial assault of the shopping mall? They sure were not aiming them at the zombies but at something made of metal (we can hear pieces of metal falling down on the pavement after the grenades explode), but what? The only things we see blocking the exits/entrances are the trucks. They surely did not expect that a couple of grenades were going to remove a friggin' truck!

How can the biker with the poncho be in two places at the same time??? 1970s human cloning???

Why is one of the cops in Dawn laughing his ass off when a horde of zombies has just busted loose on him and his fellow officers??? (this scene can only be seen in the director's cut of the film.)

There's a bunch of contradictions and unanswered puzzles in Romero's zombie series that are in desperate need of being addressed. As Ricky Ricardo would say: "Romero, you have some explaining to doooo!"

Neil
05-Feb-2016, 11:34 AM
Nooo! My entire belief system has been destroyed :(

Rancid Carcass
05-Feb-2016, 12:09 PM

And the hot button issue of money being used to create a local economy in the post zombie apocalypse world!

It'll also be nice to finally settle that other hot potato 'Land' argument - did it happen before or after 'Day'... lol.

Maybe this will spark a George Lucas style series of special editions of the original trilogy - enhanced with news scenes and new special effects to bring it in line with his original vision that technology couldn't manage at the time - see Duane Jones digitally replaced with Tony Todd! :elol:

MinionZombie
05-Feb-2016, 05:23 PM
It'll also be nice to finally settle that other hot potato 'Land' argument - did it happen before or after 'Day'... lol.

*Flashbacks* ... AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :stunned:

JDP
05-Feb-2016, 09:55 PM
It'll also be nice to finally settle that other hot potato 'Land' argument - did it happen before or after 'Day'... lol:

The correct answer was, is, has always been, and will always be, that it happened BEFORE Day.

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2016, 10:46 AM
The correct answer was, is, has always been, and will always be, that it happened BEFORE Day.

http://cdn.videogum.com/files/2011/11/pauly_walnuts.jpg

:sneaky:

JDP
06-Feb-2016, 11:11 AM
http://cdn.videogum.com/files/2011/11/pauly_walnuts.jpg

:sneaky:

LOL! Now I feel compelled to have to explain myself as to why that is the correct answer. But I will do it by gloriously resurrecting (pun fully intended) one of those old threads. Don't worry, it is all very simple, and in fact other forum members have already pointed out some of the key pieces of evidence why this is the most logical conclusion.

EvilNed
06-Feb-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the missing 9 minutes will deal wether the infected in 28 Days Later are zombies or not.

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2016, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure the missing 9 minutes will deal wether the infected in 28 Days Later are zombies or not.

Is this a concerted campaign to drive me fucking nuts?!

:lol:

P.S. They're not zombies. They're living human beings infected with a man-made virus akin to 'super rabies'. Zombies don't die of starvation after four weeks. BOOM! Case closed.

EvilNed
06-Feb-2016, 05:18 PM
*cough*they're zombies*cough*

Thorn
12-Feb-2016, 07:11 PM

That was one of our more epic debates, though we have had many over the years from site to new site.

MoonSylver
12-Feb-2016, 08:11 PM
Is this a concerted campaign to drive me fucking nuts?!

P.S. They're not zombies. They're living human beings infected with a man-made virus akin to 'super rabies'. Zombies don't die of starvation after four weeks. BOOM! Case closed.

:poke: <---I always knew that was you holding that stick in this emoticon. :lol:

ProfessorChaos
16-Feb-2016, 04:46 AM
C'mon beautifully remastered Blu Ray! Night is the only one I'm needing on the format. I knew there was a reason I'd held out this long...

feel like i may have brought this up to you already, but have you not seen this available?

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-Judith/dp/B002KAIW4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455601432&sr=8-1&keywords=night+of+the+living+dead+blu+ray

looks pretty damn good on my tv.

and i'm ready for them to announce the new footage being available in some form. would be neat to see what we've been missing out on.

Toonloon
20-Feb-2016, 09:57 PM
There's a great steelbook on offer at zavvi.com. Check the region before purchase though.

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2016, 10:19 AM
There's a great steelbook on offer at zavvi.com. Check the region before purchase though.

Just be careful which edition the film is.

Many moons ago I bought a steelbook DVD edition of Night and it was cut to ribbons - essentially missing all the best zombie stuff - it was unbelievable (the film is uncut everywhere else in the UK, so it was even stranger)! Fortunately I was able to just return it to the shop and get my money back.

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1041#22

CUTS: R2 Collector's Edition United Kingdom- Contender - Yes, original Black and White 1968 Cut, but the following is missing (no BBFC cuts) (91:14 PAL):
- Zombie fighting over large amount of intestines on floor.
- Zombie eating flesh off bone.
- Zombie biting/ripping flesh off hand.
- Zombie eating offal then turning to camera.
- The "trowel murder" has been reduced from 14 stabs to 3 (almost the entire scene has gone, including shots of blood on the wall during the stabbing).

:stunned:

Is this the one on Zavvi you're talking about?

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/night-of-the-living-dead-zavvi-exclusive-limited-steelbook/11156605.html

Released by "Network" in 2015. Can't vouch for it personally though, with so many releases of Night you can never be sure. The first time I got NOTLD on DVD it had an entirely different score! :confused:

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=13577#4

Just a bare bones release, mind - a trailer and that's your lot.

IT'S CUT!

CUTS: Blu-ray ALL United Kingdom- Network - Yes. This has been cut by the distributor by approximately 35 seconds including the 7 seconds of dialogue from the scene where Ben asks about the location of the Coopers' car:
Ben: Well, one of us could try to get to the car!
Harry: You’re gonna turn it over by yourself?
Barbra: You can’t start the car, Johnny has the keys!

So random! :confused:

If you want NOTLD on Blu-Ray in the UK it seems this is the one to go for:
Blu-ray B United Kingdom- Optimum Releasing - No cuts (96:52)
http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=13577#6

Includes an 84 minute documentary.

Neil
21-Feb-2016, 10:58 AM
^^ Why cut that? Is it car'ist or something?

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2016, 03:23 PM
^^ Why cut that? Is it car'ist or something?

It's daft, isn't it? It was like that version I briefly had several years ago - why was a whole load of zombie/gore stuff hacked out when other copies were fully uncut?! - it's absolutely barmy!

Perhaps this one with those 35 seconds of trims was from a print that happened to be missing that stuff, and the company putting it out either didn't notice (e.g. an entirely separate example, but Arrow Video slipped up with their HD release of Shivers, whereby it was missing numerous moments of violence) or simply didn't care.

Thorn
22-Feb-2016, 02:13 PM

Maybe this will spark a George Lucas style series of special editions of the original trilogy - enhanced with news scenes and new special effects to bring it in line with his original vision that technology couldn't manage at the time - see Duane Jones digitally replaced with Tony Todd! :elol:

Dear God, not that again.