PDA

View Full Version : US student thrown across classroom by police officer?

Neil
27-Oct-2015, 12:16 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34644373

Looks like he slid her across the floor to me.

So she was repeatedly asked to leave the class, didn't. Resisted... So surely some force is the next reasonable step? What did she expect from her actions?

TBH I have not a moment for any complaint against the officer given when I've seen so far!

shootemindehead
27-Oct-2015, 01:28 PM
But you don't know anything about the events leading up to this incident with the child or why the kid was being asked to leave, or what happened in the first place.

Would you like your kid being handled in that way? That guy could easily have broken something and done some serious harm to the kid.

The cop has clearly lost control here.

Neil
27-Oct-2015, 01:49 PM
But you don't know anything about the events leading up to this incident with the child or why the kid was being asked to leave, or what happened in the first place.

Would you like your kid being handled in that way? That guy could easily have broken something and done some serious harm to the kid.

The cop has clearly lost control here.

If she was repeatedly asked to leave the room and did not, including by the officier, then sorry, I don't have much sympathy.

As for "handled that way", I see her being very efficiently removed from the desk she was holding into to. She was simply pulled free of the table and slid along the floor. I see no "throwing" involved?

shootemindehead
27-Oct-2015, 01:53 PM
We don't even know what she was supposed to have done. It could be a completely minor incident.

As for throwing, he throws her to the ground in a very violent fashion. The cop has lost control of the situation here. Look at that vid again. He slams the kid (a girl half his age probably) onto the floor.

I'll ask you again, would you like your child being handled this way?

Neil
27-Oct-2015, 03:25 PM
We don't even know what she was supposed to have done. It could be a completely minor incident.Fair call, but I'd suggest the police officer wasn't initially stationed in the room, so has arrived there at the tail end of events, undoubtably leading to the entire class being disrupted for a long time.

It may well have been a minor matter, but she chose to escalate it by ignoring repeated instructions to move, including from a police officer.

As for throwing, he throws her to the ground in a very violent fashion.He certainly doesn't mess around but I don't see it as "very violent". Did he use his stick/spray/taser? He could have messed about prying one hand away at a time etc etc, but TBH this probably - as he well knows having done the job - would just be a waste of time/effort and a messy wrestle. Instead he does what he knows works, a quick shock!

The cop has lost control of the situation here. Look at that vid again. He slams the kid (a girl half his age probably) onto the floor.She's clearly not letting go of the desk... He gets her free of the desk, and being handcuffed in 5 seconds, and I bet nothing is bruised other than her pride.

I'll ask you again, would you like your child being handled this way?If they had been asked repeatedly to do something by authority figures, over and over, including a police officer, and then resited too, then TBH the next step is physical force. She had physical force used against her which wasn't pandering to her, but making sure she was not dealt with ASAP after wasting 30 peoples time for how ever long it was. If it was my kid I'm be ashamed they were ignoring authority figures TBH, and not handling the matter better.

If this ends up with police officers having to pussy foot around people playing these games, shame!

shootemindehead
27-Oct-2015, 03:54 PM
TBH, I think you're making a lot of excuses for that cop's behavior in an incident we know next to nothing about. We don't even know what the incident is.

All we have to go on is a few minutes of video, where a GROWN MAN is throwing a SCHOOL GIRL to the floor, while she's still in her school desk. That alone could easily cause serious damage to the kid. He then slides her across the floor to god knows where and possibly into god knows what.

The man has lost control here and has let his temper get the better of him and thus has made some very bad decisions. His actions could very easily have led to injury.

We're talking about a child here...his actions are crazy. Sorry, way too heavy handed. I cannot imagine any parent simply standing by and going "Yeh fine, bounce her off the ground there."

You don't see that as "very violent"? Really? A grown man throwing a child to the ground.

If it turns out that all the kid was doing was being disruptive in some nature, then the parents should sue the shit out of that guy. Christ, were they even called before Judge Dredd arrived? I'd be livid if someone did that to my kid.

I guarantee you one thing though, I'd say that cop regrets his actions mightily.

Neil
27-Oct-2015, 06:27 PM
TBH, I think you're making a lot of excuses for that cop's behavior in an incident we know next to nothing about. We don't even know what the incident is.

All we have to go on is a few minutes of video, where a GROWN MAN is throwing a SCHOOL GIRL to the floor, while she's still in her school desk. That alone could easily cause serious damage to the kid. He then slides her across the floor to god knows where and possibly into god knows what.

The man has lost control here and has let his temper get the better of him and thus has made some very bad decisions. His actions could very easily have led to injury.

We're talking about a child here...his actions are crazy. Sorry, way too heavy handed. I cannot imagine any parent simply standing by and going "Yeh fine, bounce her off the ground there."

You don't see that as "very violent"? Really? A grown man throwing a child to the ground.

If it turns out that all the kid was doing was being disruptive in some nature, then the parents should sue the shit out of that guy. Christ, were they even called before Judge Dredd arrived? I'd be livid if someone did that to my kid.

I guarantee you one thing though, I'd say that cop regrets his actions mightily.

Agreed we need to know more of the events preceding it. Isn't that interesting given the "slant" the media is going for with the story?

I see him rolling the chair onto it back, while holding her, while she almost seems to be trying to hit him (maybe she's just trying to grab)?

I then see him pulling her in quite a nice movement TBH clear of the chair and sliding her into a clear spot to then cuff her.

I see no bouncing... I see no throwing... The only real "throwing" I see is in headlines to gain attention.

Nothing I see him doing makes me think, ouch that hurts!

croakker
28-Oct-2015, 06:17 AM
Kids are raised differently these days. If my parents saw me acting that way......I would of been a zombie shortly there after......

EvilNed
28-Oct-2015, 10:30 AM
Holy shit.

That's some police brutality if there ever was some. I agree with shootem here. That's a fucking kid. Not some crackhead on the street who is a potential danger. That's a kid. A child. That's sick.

Glad someone caught it on tape. That's all I'll say. The media will, and should, judge that asshole.

Neil
28-Oct-2015, 11:31 AM
Holy shit.

That's some police brutality if there ever was some. I agree with shootem here. That's a f***ing kid. Not some crackhead on the street who is a potential danger. That's a kid. A child. That's sick.

Glad someone caught it on tape. That's all I'll say. The media will, and should, judge that asshole.

Amazing how we interpret things differently :)

I don't see a single thing there that I recon hurt her. I see a strong physical action to end the matter. If he'd been mamby-pamby about it, it would have simply have turned into a stupid wrestle, probably with them both rolling around on a chair. Instead, he got her out of the chair and hand cuffed in 5 seconds... Done...

Here's hoping we see the lead up to it! I bet she'd been given tens of minutes and repeated offers to get out of the room.

ps: In hindsight - I wonder if they could have just cleared the room, and left her alone in there :) Suspect they couldn't lose the room for even more time though.

Mr. Clean
28-Oct-2015, 04:35 PM
ps: In hindsight - I wonder if they could have just cleared the room, and left her alone in there :) Suspect they couldn't lose the room for even more time though.

Well, they fired him....

Why give her that kind of power? If you play stupid games, you should win stupid prizes. It's that simple.

I agree with you Neil....I didn't see anything wrong. The girl was being a stubborn ass and got what was coming to her. Now, police have yet another reason to be fearful to do their job. On the other side of the spectrum, the people have yet another example of how they can be rewarded for giving authority the bird.

MoonSylver
28-Oct-2015, 04:44 PM
Kid was guilty of...using a cell phone in class. What a crime.

Officer was already under investigation for excessive force on another student. Surprise.

Child was definitely non-compliant and resistant, and should have been removed from the classroom. But the level of force employed was in no way warranted.

Neil
29-Oct-2015, 09:36 AM
Kid was guilty of...using a cell phone in class. What a crime....and not follow repeated requests to vacate the room.

Officer was already under investigation for excessive force on another student. Surprise.Hmmm... Doesn't sound good.

Child was definitely non-compliant and resistant, and should have been removed from the classroom. But the level of force employed was in no way warranted.I'd still say a single person could not have removed a non-compliant person in a simpler fashion. It would have been a slow farcicle wrestle. Instead it was done quickly and swiftly. TBH, it should have been two people removing her.

And from another article:-

"When the officer arrives he asked her to get up 4 or 5 times she tells him No. He then moves the objects around him and while standing over her he asked one more time then tried to pick her up but she started fight him. Then he used force to get hands behind her back."

Sorry... She'd been given numerous chances, and he dealt with the matter in a strong forceful way but which meant it was over quickly, with no one hurt.

But do you see what the press are doing with this?

Headline = "Deputy threw South Carolina student"

Article explaining = "yanked from her desk and dragged across the classroom floor"

Hmmm....

...and of course we have the race card being played too now for added effect!

Trial by social media!

EvilNed
29-Oct-2015, 10:02 AM
If the cop was fired, that's a good start. But we already know many police prescincts in the US have these kind of problems. That's excessive use of force, no doubt about it and I'm just glad the case got settled quickly. Hope there's an investigation to follow to I wouldn't mind some criminal charges being brought on that asshole.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some more information on the matter and the perp.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/10/ben-fields-richland-county-south-carolina-sheriff-deputy-spring-valley-high-school-photo-football-coach-bodybuilder-cop-student-desk-video-complaints/

Apparently the girl was hurt, which doesn't surprise me at all considering what the video shows. Looks like she might have broke something from that slam dunk - and she could easily have suffered a concussion that might (if left untreated) have killed her. Not saying that her life was in danger at any point but to suggest that this wasn't excessive use of force is crazy (and her injuries prove that).

We've all been to school. Just having a cop there assigned to the school is crazy. A cop suggests kids need to be treated as criminals - which is just what happened here - and this is the inevitable result.

Another thing is the action and reaction. She had not committed a crime. She'd been asked to leave - yes, but she had not committed a crime and she was not putting anyone else at risk in any way, shape or form. So why slamdunk her head to the floor? There's just no way you can argue that's an appropriate response. She wasn't wielding a weapon for christ sakes... Again, she's a kid. Teach kids, even stupid ones, as kids. Otherwise, get the f*ck out, which is exactly what's happened here and everyone is better off for it.

Neil
29-Oct-2015, 10:15 AM
Apparently the girl was hurt, which doesn't surprise me at all considering what the video shows. Looks like she might have broke something from that slam dunk - and she could easily have suffered a concussion that might (if left untreated) have killed her.
Are we watching the same video?

I'd suggest a typical situation of a kid leaning too far back and falling over on the chair is more dangerous? He's actually holding her the entire time she goes back? In Judo it the "must do" for this very reason. Hold on to protect them. Have you got a link to a report of broken bones? I can only imagine the number of lawyers phoning up to "help" this young girl right now, neck braces at the ready!

Having trouble seeing where we get concussion and potential death suggestions?

If she's injured I'll take back everything I've said!

EDIT:

I may have to take back everything I've said? :) - http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/10/28/lawyer-sc-teen-suffered-injuries-in-classroom-arrest.html <-- Not the best source maybe though?

I'd love to see an unbiased medical report on her. I really cannot help but be cynical enough to think the lawyer has something to do with the injury report. Sorry! Maybe I've seen one to many Hollywood films!

EvilNed
29-Oct-2015, 12:35 PM
He tries to hold her, but you can see he loses control of her as she's falling back. His grip is in no way protecting her.
Concussions can happen real easy and can be fatal. Read that again, FATAL, if left untreated.

We're watching the same video alright and I'm not the least bit surprised she got hurt from that beating. Looks severe. I'm glad the cops sided with me on this one and not you, no offense..

shootemindehead
29-Oct-2015, 02:30 PM
So the kid was messing on her phone, asked to leave the class, didn't, and robocop lost the plot.

That guy should never be put near children again, if that's his answer to such a "crime".

He clearly has some serious issues going on, if that's his solution to what the girl was doing. BTW, the girl is still "under arrest". Under arrest for what? Using he phone in class?

When did 'Judge Dredd' stop being a comic an become reality?

That kind of "offence" certainly did not warrant that kind of overreaction from the cop.

Frankly the "teacher" needs some education too. The girl took her phone out for a second according to another pupil and that was enough for this situation to spark off?

Crazy nonsense.

Neil
29-Oct-2015, 03:04 PM
...she got hurt from that beating.
...now he hit her?

I do understand concussion. I do understand falls.

Maybe I've just seen too many years of judo and I'm used to seeing people falling over in what appears to be a "forceful" manner...

If she was injured I sincerely apologise for under estimating the matter... But again, still doesn't look bad to me.

EvilNed
29-Oct-2015, 03:05 PM
If she was injured I sincerely apologise for under estimating the matter... But again, still doesn't look bad to me.

She was injured.

Neil
29-Oct-2015, 03:08 PM
Frankly the "teacher" needs some education too. The girl took her phone out for a second according to another pupil and that was enough for this situation to spark off?
Maybe it was a repeating issue? Maybe "a second" is conjecture? And if the teacher asks the pupil to leave the room and they refuse? What should they do? We already know a superior member of staff was then called and repeated the order to leave the classroom? So how exactly is the teacher at fault now?

Mr. Clean
29-Oct-2015, 03:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrU0R6pew0

Should this kid be given a civil rights pass? Should the headline read white Teacher takes black student's phone? This could have easily become the same exact scenario as the fired cop. If the teacher had taken that girl's cell phone, you can bet that she would have been all over her teacher just like this!

Our society embraces being the victim as winning which is incredibly stupid. Disrespectful little bastards...

shootemindehead
29-Oct-2015, 04:02 PM
Maybe it was a repeating issue? Maybe "a second" is conjecture? And if the teacher asks the pupil to leave the room and they refuse? What should they do? We already know a superior member of staff was then called and repeated the order to leave the classroom? So how exactly is the teacher at fault now?

Assuming that the student who said that she looked at her phone for a second and other students say they didn't know what she had done are being truthful, then I think that this "disruption" was an extremely minor one and one that warrants a simple "put the phone away please".

It most certainly didn't warrant the result that we see.

Christ, when I was in school we were asked to put stuff away all the time and had things confiscated off of us until class ended.

There's nothing here for the teacher to call a member of admin for and definitely nothing for robocop to go off on one. He even arrested another student for simply questioning what he was doing!

It's absolute madness. The guy clearly has some problems.

Neil
29-Oct-2015, 04:06 PM
^^ This is part of my issue with the case in hand. She had repeated choices and chances to resolve the matter but did not. If anything happened by her forcing the matter is she blame free?

Where does this path lead?

EvilNed
29-Oct-2015, 06:32 PM
^^ This is part of my issue with the case in hand. She had repeated choices and chances to resolve the matter but did not. If anything happened by her forcing the matter is she blame free?

"The kid could have ended it at any time, seeing as she was a fully functional and responsible adult. Since she did not, a violent reaction to her cell phone useage was clearly warranted. I am not interested in her circumstances, who she is, who the police officer is, if she was injured or what lead up to the events. All I can see are the black and whites of the matter."

shootemindehead
29-Oct-2015, 06:47 PM

It SHOULDN'T lead to what we see in the video.

Neil
29-Oct-2015, 10:05 PM
"The kid could have ended it at any time, seeing as she was a fully functional and responsible adult. Since she did not, a violent reaction to her cell phone useage was clearly warranted. I am not interested in her circumstances, who she is, who the police officer is, if she was injured or what lead up to the events. All I can see are the black and whites of the matter."
Easy there tiger!

Re-read the thread and you'll see you're not being very fair there...

- - - Updated - - -

It SHOULDN'T lead to what we see in the video.

What should have happened do you recon?

ps: Any news about her injuries? I'm interested to see any verification of them (not something laweyer pulled out the back of his car :))

Mr. Clean
29-Oct-2015, 11:35 PM
and another...

https://www.facebook.com/bluematters/videos/438139049712208/

shootemindehead
29-Oct-2015, 11:42 PM
As far as we can tell, the student pulled her phone out for a second, probably to check a text. According to other students it was out for a very short time, so short, in fact, that the majority of the class didn't even notice. This negates the "repeated offence".

The teacher, I presume, tells her to put it away or asks for it and calls the admin staff, who asks her to leave class. She refuses (and according to one student the girl even apologised) and then robocop is called in. He says "Are you going to come with me or am I going to make you? Come on. I’m going to get you up...will you move, will you move." She says "I don't even know who you are" and then does his thing. Another girl says "What the fuck, is this really happening...etc" and she gets arrested too.

That's what I can gather from reading what people have said in Neds article.

What SHOULD have happened was that the teacher asks her to put away the phone and then carry on with his job.

Situation over.

There's no need for anything to go any further than that.

Neil
30-Oct-2015, 05:06 PM
As far as we can tell, the student pulled her phone out for a second, probably to check a text. According to other students it was out for a very short time, so short, in fact, that the majority of the class didn't even notice. This negates the "repeated offence". ie: If she's done it previous times (previous lessons/days) and been repeatedly warned etc etc...

The teacher, I presume, tells her to put it away or asks for it and calls the admin staff, who asks her to leave class. She refuses (and according to one student the girl even apologised) and then robocop is called in. He says "Are you going to come with me or am I going to make you? Come on. I’m going to get you up...will you move, will you move." She says "I don't even know who you are" and then does his thing. Another girl says "What the fuck, is this really happening...etc" and she gets arrested too.

That's what I can gather from reading what people have said in Neds article.A lot of that is conjecture of course... The teacher could have asked her to leave X times. A superior could have asked her to leave X times. The officer in question has been noted as asking her 4-5 times to leave before using physical force...

Simply implying she was asked once doesn't seem a fair assumption?

What SHOULD have happened was that the teacher asks her to put away the phone and then carry on with his job.

Situation over.

There's no need for anything to go any further than that.And if that's what had happened the day before... and the day before that... and the day before that... and she'd been told repeatedly not to use the phone in class over and over?

ie: You're assuming she used a phone for 1 second (ever)? That's an assumption again, ignoring a quite likely alternative scenario that there's a real reason for the matter to be more significant...

EvilNed
30-Oct-2015, 05:39 PM
Easy there tiger!

Re-read the thread and you'll see you're not being very fair there...

I am, tho because even after information of her injuries surface you still doubt them. I'm just glad you don't work in either law enforcement or the education system because you don't seem very fair at all and you don't seem willing to look at this issue in any other way than black and white. Maybe you are right but you're not even attempting to convey a sense of understanding for the fact that people are upset about a law enforcement officer beating and injuring a kid in school who was playing with her phone and whom we know nothing about.

Neil
30-Oct-2015, 05:55 PM
law enforcement officer beating and injuring a kid in school who was playing with her phone and whom we know nothing about.

As I've said a number of times - please re-read the thread - I can only gauge this by what I see. Personally I don't see a "beating" as you describe. I certainly see him tip her chair backwards and pulling her/sliding her out of it...

Now if this has injured here - please re-read the thread - I will sincerely apologise for mis-judging the video.

But it's strange how with no injuries were reported at the time, and now (with lawyer in toe) she suddenly has them - Just putting that out there! Personally I'd like to see medical reports of said injuries?

Again, if she has legitamate injuries, I'll happily acknowledge how poorly I interpreted that video. But (at the moment), I don't see that video as anything other than a fast efficient means of getting someone out of chair and arrested instead of it turning into a farcicle brawl/wrestle.

shootemindehead
31-Oct-2015, 04:11 PM
ie: If she's done it previous times (previous lessons/days) and been repeatedly warned etc etc...

STILL no excuse for the cops behavior. None at all. This was a minor, mickey incident, blown way out of proportion by the "so called" adults involved.

A lot of that is conjecture of course... The teacher could have asked her to leave X times. A superior could have asked her to leave X times. The officer in question has been noted as asking her 4-5 times to leave before using physical force...

Simply implying she was asked once doesn't seem a fair assumption?

It's based on what the other students have said. This seems to have escalated with stupid speed, with only a short amount of time from the phone coming to, to robocop acting like an idiot.

And if that's what had happened the day before... and the day before that... and the day before that... and she'd been told repeatedly not to use the phone in class over and over?

ie: You're assuming she used a phone for 1 second (ever)? That's an assumption again, ignoring a quite likely alternative scenario that there's a real reason for the matter to be more significant...

Again, I'm going on what her classmates have said.

Most of them didn't even know what she'd done!

Neil
31-Oct-2015, 04:19 PM
^^ Fair enough...

I'd love to see an official medical report on her...