PDA

View Full Version : 28 Weeks Later information

Geophyrd
21-Jul-2006, 02:42 PM
See...everyone was all upset. But look who's back! (apparently)

From Moviehole (g-d bless Clint) http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060720_fox_atomic_sets_up_its_2007_sl.html

28 Weeks Later (May 11, 2007)
The creative team of Danny Boyle, Alex Garland, and Andrew Macdonald are
back to re-invent the zombie movie yet again with the sequel to28 Days
Later. Lead by director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, 28 Weeks Later picks up
six months after the Rage virus has decimated the city ofLondon. The US
Army has restored order and is repopulating the quarantined city, when a
carrier of the Rage virus enters London and unknowingly re-ignites the
spread of the deadly infection, wreaking havoc on the entire population.
28 Days Later:The Aftermath, a graphic novel, will be published by Fox
Atomic Comics in 2007.

AcesandEights
21-Jul-2006, 02:57 PM
See...everyone was all upset. But look who's back!

Nope. Some people are p1ssed about this too :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
21-Jul-2006, 05:47 PM
Ug ... why bother I say. I say leave it at the first movie, it rounded out nicely, this just smacks of "cash in all the way baby" rather than looking to make a good movie ... and yet another columnist (or whatever) calling it a damn zombie movie - it is NOT a zombie movie. They are "infected" and nothing more, gah! :eek:

ipotts85
21-Jul-2006, 06:06 PM
you say it's not a zombie movie, yet look at romero's interpretations of "zombies" - they aren't zombies in the historical or traditional sense either. the term zombies is derived from voodoo, so to exclude one style of film as not 'zombie' because they are 'infected' would mean romero's "zombies" should be excluded as well, because they are just dead carcasses. realistically none of romero's dead movies are zombie movies either.

EvilNed
21-Jul-2006, 06:25 PM
A zombie is a person who is "undead". The stenches in Romero's film fit that category, but the infected do not.

Geophyrd
21-Jul-2006, 06:35 PM
Ok, so let's see if I've got this...

there's a couple of objections here:

28 Days Later...

The original objection was that 28 Days Later was shot on HDCAM by the director of Trainspotting and the writer of The Beach. They turned out to be considerably better than just OK in my book. They were excellent.

The next objection was that it was not a zombie movie. Well, other than in Land of the Dead, I don't believe GAR ever called his creatures zombies. (I do think someone used the Z-word in LOTD). It may not have been a zombie movie, but it was the same exact relentless danger situation...they're everywhere and they're after you!

The third objection was that it was released in UK and bit torrent a full year and a half before the US. I actually have the script of the movie in book-published form that I got a year before it opened in the US. So, now, mind you, it was a british production but that it took so long to get stateside (not terribly unlike Dr. Who...that Christopher apparently takes his time) was, I believe, percieved as some sort of dig. It was a way of saying that it isn't good enough to play here at the same time.

So 28 Days Later came out, kicked a lot of ass both in the wallet and in the heart (mine included...totally dug the flick, right up until those multiple, perplexing ends) and people here were more or less happy with the result. Well, happy as they were likely ever gonna be, given that they weren't really zombies...every agreed that the story was well done, the film was well directed and the HDCam, far from being the unfortunate pick, was exactly what the doctor (ha...get it, the Doctor?) ordered.

So now, 28 Weeks Later

Its the same director. The same writer and DP. Its a kick ass storyline that sounds a lot like the NOTLD period (I know...shut up already. So they're not zombies...so what? They'll have you for lunch...) and I will be front and center when it hits the minimegamallaplex....

So, can we stop kvetching and rejoice that the trend for zombie-like movies isn't over? Cause if it isn't over, maybe GAR will get the greenlight on LOTD2.

bassman
21-Jul-2006, 08:50 PM
So now, 28 Weeks Later

Its the same director. The same writer and DP. Its a kick ass storyline that sounds a lot like the NOTLD period (I know...shut up already. So they're not zombies...so what? They'll have you for lunch...) and I will be front and center when it hits the minimegamallaplex....

So, can we stop kvetching and rejoice that the trend for zombie-like movies isn't over? Cause if it isn't over, maybe GAR will get the greenlight on LOTD2.

What? It's not the same director. Boyle is only producing. It's also not the same writer. Hell, I don't think anyone is sure that the DP is returning....

Where did you hear this?

MinionZombie
21-Jul-2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah I do say that (and according to the recent poll the majority is with me). It has the aesthetic of a zombie film, but it's actually more akin to an apocalypse movie. Even the creators of 28DL state the infected are not zombies.

The reason why 28 Days Later is not a zombie film is because the infected are not dead people. Simple as.

GAR's zombies are a type of zombie - dead people that eat flesh.

And to Geo - so what if the USA got 28DL a year late - the UK constantly gets films at least a few months late (only the biggest blockbusters come out a month after they do in the USA at best). Land of the Dead - released first in the USA (of course, it's an American film after all) ... released in the UK ... LAST ... the LAST country in the WORLD (and we're one of the key players in the globe!) to get the movie. The only countries (about two or three) that didn't get it before us were the ones that banned it.

So as America gets 99% of movies first, is it really such a hardship for us Brits to release one of OUR movies (a rare feat) late over there to get some back for the little guy?

Not being a bastard to you, just frustrated by people who complain about the odd British movie that doesn't get released in America first ... I will add that Wallace & Gromit's movie came out in America a few days before it did on home shores...damn youze Dreamworks...:rockbrow:

Got nout against you Geo, I'm just venting anger at the situation.

Danny
21-Jul-2006, 09:48 PM
So as America gets 99% of movies first, is it really such a hardship for us Brits to release one of OUR movies (a rare feat) late over there to get some back for the little guy?

cept' asain cinema, we got stuff like the happieness of the katakuris, and old boy first, and apparently, due to the "graphic scenes of teenage violence" battle royale is kinda like a video nasty over there, so they dont get all the good stuff we get cool films before them sometimes, plus were english so according to weeble and bob weve got ninjas and lazers andyway:D

The creative team of Danny Boyle, Alex Garland, and Andrew Macdonald are
back to re-invent the zombie movie yet again with the sequel to28 Days
Later. Lead by director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, 28 Weeks Later picks up
six months after the Rage virus has decimated the city ofLondon. The US
Army has restored order and is repopulating the quarantined city, when a
carrier of the Rage virus enters London and unknowingly re-ignites the
spread of the deadly infection, wreaking havoc on the entire population.
28 Days Later:The Aftermath, a graphic novel, will be published by Fox
Atomic Comics in 2007.

why is it allways america has to save the world in films?, maybe that has somethign to do with release dates like minion zombie says, and this aint typical foreign anti america crap its just allways america saves the day and most of the time in action styled films brits and russians allways play prats as background comic relief characters.

plus the whole "one infectee" idea sounds liek crap anyway, i think this is gonna be one of those lets ignore it and pretend it never happen situations:barf:

Tullaryx
21-Jul-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, in terms of resources the US would have both manpower and finances to help rebuild and repopulate the British Isles as they posited in the film's description. As for the lone "Rage" infected suddenly appearing and wreaking havoc on the American forces trying to rebuild the UK, that's an interesting idea. For one if done right it could show a definite on-screen progression of how quickly one infected individual could suddenly reignite another full-blown epidemic.

Danny
21-Jul-2006, 09:58 PM
Well, in terms of resources the US would have both manpower and finances to help rebuild and repopulate the British Isles as they posited in the film's description. As for the lone "Rage" infected suddenly appearing and wreaking havoc on the American forces trying to rebuild the UK, that's an interesting idea. For one if done right it could show a definite on-screen progression of how quickly one infected individual could suddenly reignite another full-blown epidemic.

yeah dont get me wrong im not saying americans are bad, but odds are if you have american soldiers, your gonna have one die in the arms of another saying something like "i guess i got to be the hero after all", thats why i think its goona be bad, its too cliche laden to be anything spectacular.

MinionZombie
21-Jul-2006, 10:10 PM
Well, I was kinda just focussing on American versus British cinema ... but indeed on the Asian front. I was initially quite taken aback that Battle Royale (a film that Tarantino has spunked all over on numerous occasions) hadn't come out over there ... but America seems rather schizophrenic on everything. They've made some of the most violent films ever and been a part of some of the most violent times in history ... and yet ... the movie gets banned because it reminds them too much of Columbine ... riiiiiiiight, as if not released BR over there all school shootings would stop ... if banning actually worked, which it doesn't, then surely it'd make more sense to ban Bowling For Columbine as well as any and all talk regarding the tragedy...

*rant over*

And yeah - I'm fed up of the cut n paste "America will save you" crap too, enough of the same thing already ... also, damn straight, we need British heroes who aren't pricks or Hugh Grant types ... or always bad guys ... what's up with that? I saw on TV some person commenting on it saying something along the lines of 'perhaps American distrusts any accent that isn't their own' ... :rockbrow:

Tullaryx
21-Jul-2006, 10:39 PM
I saw on TV some person commenting on it saying something along the lines of 'perhaps American distrusts any accent that isn't their own' ... :rockbrow:

If that's the case then we'd be bombing East Texas right about now. :lol:

Really, if there's to be any fingerpointing as to the use of the Yanks in this sequel then it should go to Boyle partly. He is producing the film and giving his blessing on the creative team who will be writing the script and directing the film. Boyle could easily have told them to make the people rebuilding the British Isles be British nationals who were overseas when the epidemic first appeared.

Danny
21-Jul-2006, 11:04 PM
If that's the case then we'd be bombing East Texas right about now. :lol:

i was gonna say the exact same thing,:lol: , texas is just one of a kind in every way, but i mean the best film portraying soldiers of all nationalities as equal...ish was band of brothers, sometimes it was hard to tell em apart cus they were all the same and no stereotypes.

cept the camp nazis, dont know where that stereotype came from....

..i blame the carry on films.:shifty:

aga
21-Jul-2006, 11:59 PM
I thought this had gone on the trash heap so I'm glad it's coming as I enjoyed the original. With not much involvement from the original players and coming from Fox's new teen arm Atomic I'm not sure how it'll turn out though :confused:
BTW Battle Royale is not banned in America, Toei, the japanese production company, just made ridiculous demands so no one would release it. Lions Gate are now doing a remake, though it will of course pale in comparison (the original is a classic) and most likely just be plain ****.

general tbag
22-Jul-2006, 01:05 AM
I thought this had gone on the trash heap so I'm glad it's coming as I enjoyed the original. With not much involvement from the original players and coming from Fox's new teen arm Atomic I'm not sure how it'll turn out though :confused:
BTW Battle Royale is not banned in America, Toei, the japanese production company, just made ridiculous demands so no one would release it. Lions Gate are now doing a remake, though it will of course pale in comparison (the original is a classic) and most likely just be plain ****.

battle royale was awesome, i loved the video explaining the tournament.

AcesandEights
22-Jul-2006, 08:18 AM
Well, in terms of resources the US would have both manpower and finances to help rebuild and repopulate the British Isles as they posited in the film's description.

This is true. Who else has the financial and emotional wherewithal to lay a pipeline straight from Mexico to the British Isles? We'd have the UK rebuilt and re-populated faster than you can say pescado y patatas fritas, which would, by the way, be your new national dish :skull:

general tbag
22-Jul-2006, 10:05 AM
other than the us having the resources rebuilding the u.k in the sequel i think it also breaks down to the money made in the states from the first movie that they earned a write in.i can only imagine the dvd sales to . just my .02

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $45,064,915 54.5%
+ Foreign: $37,654,970 45.5%
= Worldwide: $82,719,885

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289043/business

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2006, 10:32 AM
Well, he's probably been fixated on the amount of cash he'll be getting for it no doubt ... as for the Americans being in it, it probably makes sense, the British forces have all been infected and killed off ... still though, there's no need for a sequel, there really isn't ... *sigh*.

AcesandEights
22-Jul-2006, 11:32 AM
still though, there's no need for a sequel, there really isn't ... *sigh*.

Well, I can most definitely agree with you there, but I'm going to try and be positive about it (till I at least see moe about it). If it sucks, I'll just ignore it ever happened.

Deadman_Deluxe
22-Jul-2006, 06:24 PM
That's "Zombie Flesheaters" ... you bunch of muppets! :mad:

Danny
22-Jul-2006, 06:30 PM
huh?, how is that zombie flesheaters?:confused:

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah I don't get what he's on about either ... quit yo jibber jabber Deadman.

As for BR remake - ghey - it indeed will pale in comparison, although at the very least it'll be in English (I fuggin' HATE subtitles - if I wanted to read I'd get a book - movies are to be watched, not read).

Danny
23-Jul-2006, 12:18 AM
thats were we differ i ****ing hate dubbed films with a passion, its subtitles or nothing for me.

ipotts85
23-Jul-2006, 05:22 AM
A zombie is a person who is "undead". The stenches in Romero's film fit that category, but the infected do not.

no - a zombie in romero's films is undead. romero invented the idea of the undead zombie. a zombie in the traditional voodoo sense is not dead, but under a heavy hypnosis. the modern idea of "zombie" is an invention by george romero. 28 days later is not a zombie movie in the romero context, but traditionally, romero's undead are no more zombies than 28 days later's infected .

Well, other than in Land of the Dead, I don't believe GAR ever called his creatures zombies.

peter calls them zombies in dawn of the dead.

MinionZombie
23-Jul-2006, 09:45 AM
Some films dubbed can look really crap (but I'd still prefer it, lol), but when done right (High Tension was much scarier because I could relax and WATCH rather than read crappy looking text and miss all the scares). Also, "Versus" with dubbed is much better than with subtitles. The hero sounds like a hero in the dub, but in his own voice he suddenly comes off a bit of a pussy, lol.

Eyebiter
23-Jul-2006, 10:53 AM
While it's not technically a zombie film, 28 Days Later helped revive interest in survival horror movies. It's doubtful Land of the Dead, Silent Hill, or Dawn of the Dead 2004 would have been greenlighted without the success of 28 Days Later.

MinionZombie
23-Jul-2006, 08:20 PM
And of course Shaun of the Dead has done it's fair share of helpitude too ... mind you, I'm not keen on all these turdy American zombie indie films which have a couple of jokes in being compared to (or even stated as "greater than" Shaun - what a complete load of cobblers)...

Maitreya
24-Jul-2006, 12:11 AM
A major, MAJOR part of 28 days later was that they were under the assumption that the rage outbreak happened EVERYWHERE.

Now consider that people are rebuilding in London. If an outbreak started there wouldn't be too much to worry about because the world would keep on going. The entire storyline would probably be along the lines of a few survivors trying to radio for help or something.

Or maybe they'll throw in a psycho who threatens to release it elsewhere, who knows?

Danny
24-Jul-2006, 02:23 AM
Silent Hill

uhh, silent hill isnt a zombie film, or a franchise about zombies, its about inner demons manefesited by the town...or other stuff depending on which game in the series but its NOT zombies, and dont know about abroad but over here 28 days wasnt anything big really and is another film lost to video shelves in blockbuster so i really, REALLY doubt it had any impact on land of the dead, im sure a brit film, if any that would have had an effect would have been sahun as i think, but aint sure so dont quote me, that sshaun did better than dawn 04 over here.

And of course Shaun of the Dead has done it's fair share of helpitude too ... mind you, I'm not keen on all these turdy American zombie indie films which have a couple of jokes in being compared to (or even stated as "greater than" Shaun - what a complete load of cobblers)...

yeah aside from the 3 romero films i havent seen a us zombie flick i like and almost all the american indie zombie films are the same damn story with different characters :

ACT - 1: try to start your own mythos with yet another virus outbreak

ACT - 2: low budget gore scene

ACT - 3: guy shows up who kicks ass, cus the writer wishes thats how tough he was in real life

ACT - 4: isolation

ACT 5 THRU CREDITS: clihce' ,cliche' , someone gets 'bitten', cliche', cliche'

-END

*thumb up* theres a guide to make your own crappy us indie zombie film thats "better than shaun of the dead", enjoy and use at your lesuire when you have an uncounquerable mental/writers block.;)

MinionZombie
24-Jul-2006, 10:01 AM
In 28DL there were outbreaks in other places (Paris and New York), however like the Scottish soldier was saying, the outside world had cut off Britain (as it was the source of the infection) and were just going about everyday life - remember when Jim has escaped and he is lying on the ground and he sees a plane crossing the sky above.

Now this makes me think - wouldn't a better sequel be about one of those planes going down over Britain and a bunch of holiday makers get set upon by the infected and are forced to survive ... at the very least it'd make a cool bit to throw in.

Maitreya
24-Jul-2006, 10:26 AM
In 28DL there were outbreaks in other places (Paris and New York)

That's what the British news was saying, but then again they didn't know what was going on. It's exactly like in Night when the media theorized on the Venus space probe (Even though Romero said that wasn't the cause). They wanted news to report. There's seriously no plausible way there could be outbreaks in any other places.

I mean, consider it takes about 10 seconds to turn. How the hell could a bunch of mindless essentially really angry people get off an island?

Remember what Mark was saying about how they were trying to take a plane out but the airports were shut down. They got totally cut off, the infection stayed in the British mainland.

Also if you'll recall all the infected starved to death at the end of 28 days later, and although your plane idea was pretty cool it wouldn't follow the storyline very well (Especially if it's supposed to take place 6-8 months after the end of 28 days).

Just my thoughts at least

MinionZombie
24-Jul-2006, 10:32 AM
Nah I meant if you went back to the original 28 day period and showed someone else's story - THEN have the plane crash, or see snippets of other events throughout the country in those 28 days as a kind of opening montage.

But in this day and age with the immediate news coverage we get, there's gotta be some "truth" in the reports, it's just that the writer of the flick didn't explain how the infected might get across there - which is where we run into trouble, lol.

general tbag
26-Jul-2006, 08:01 AM
from the first one, it apparent you dont need a infected person, blood carrying the virus will work. i think even with all them starving there would always be that worry of re-contamination if proper measures werent taken.
and since the the virus is already in the population it could always return when ever.

i liked the first one, hopefully the second one keeps the visual style and doesnt come off as having the american film look and feel.

Bunker65
26-Jul-2006, 12:37 PM
no - a zombie in romero's films is undead. romero invented the idea of the undead zombie. a zombie in the traditional voodoo sense is not dead, but under a heavy hypnosis. the modern idea of "zombie" is an invention by george romero. 28 days later is not a zombie movie in the romero context, but traditionally, romero's undead are no more zombies than 28 days later's infected .

I think the feeling of most of the members here is that you would be wrong in your thinking. To give even more credence to what most of us believe is a "zombie" here is what Merriam-Webster defines a zombie to be:

zombie
One entry found for zombie.

Main Entry: zom·bie
Variant(s): also zom·bi /'zäm-bE/
Function: noun
Etymology: Louisiana Creole or Haitian Creole zonbi, of Bantu origin; akin to Kimbundu nzúmbe ghost
1 usually zombi a : the supernatural power that according to voodoo belief may enter into and reanimate a dead body b : a will-less and speechless human in the West Indies capable only of automatic movement who is held to have died and been supernaturally reanimated
2 a : a person held to resemble the so-called walking dead; especially : AUTOMATON b : a person markedly strange in appearance or behavior
3 : a mixed drink made of several kinds of rum, liqueur, and fruit juice

Hmmmm.. Nothing about heavy hypnosis in that definition but it surely mentions being dead & reanimated.. Just sayin' :D.

ipotts85
26-Jul-2006, 04:28 PM
I think the feeling of most of the members here is that you would be wrong in your thinking. To give even more credence to what most of us believe is a "zombie" here is what Merriam-Webster defines a zombie to be:

zombie
One entry found for zombie.

Main Entry: zom·bie
Variant(s): also zom·bi /'zäm-bE/
Function: noun
Etymology: Louisiana Creole or Haitian Creole zonbi, of Bantu origin; akin to Kimbundu nzúmbe ghost
1 usually zombi a : the supernatural power that according to voodoo belief may enter into and reanimate a dead body b : a will-less and speechless human in the West Indies capable only of automatic movement who is held to have died and been supernaturally reanimated
2 a : a person held to resemble the so-called walking dead; especially : AUTOMATON b : a person markedly strange in appearance or behavior
3 : a mixed drink made of several kinds of rum, liqueur, and fruit juice

Hmmmm.. Nothing about heavy hypnosis in that definition but it surely mentions being dead & reanimated.. Just sayin' :D.

"Haitian Penal Code:

Article 249. It shall also be qualified as attempted murder the employment which may be made against any person of substances which, without causing actual death, produce a lethargic coma more or less prolonged. If, after the person had been buried, the act shall be considered murder no matter what result follows.

The methods of creating and controlling zombies vary among bokors. Some bokors use blood and hair from their victims in conjunction with voodoo dolls to zombify their victims. Others methods of zombification involve a specially prepared concoction of mystical herbs, in addition to human and animal parts (sometimes called “coup padre”).

Ingestion, injection, or even a blow dart may be used to administer the potion variety. When these substances come into contact with the victim's skin, bloodstream or mucous membranes, the victim is rendered immobile within minutes, succumbing to a comatose-like state resembling death. The victim retains full awareness as he is taken to the hospital, then perhaps to the morgue and finally buried in a grave.

The bokor then performs an ancient voodoo rite; taking possession of the victim's soul, and replacing it with the loa that he or she controls. The victim's "trapped" soul is usually placed within a small clay jar or some other unremarkable container. The container is wrapped in a fragment of the victim's clothing, a piece of jewelry, or some other personal possession owned by the victim in life, and then hidden in a place of secrecy known only to the bokor.

The bokor raises the victim after a day or two and administers a hallucinogenic concoction, called the "zombi's cucumber," that revives the victim. Once the zombi has been revived, it has no power of speech, its past human personality is entirely absent, and the memory is gone. Zombis are thus easy to control and are used by bokors as slaves for farm labor and construction work."

voodoo zombies do not die. they are put into a death-like trance, a heavy hypnosis. i promise i'm not making this up! haha. so once again, romero's zombies are no more traditional zombies than 28 days later.

Bunker65
26-Jul-2006, 05:22 PM
"Haitian Penal Code:

Article 249. It shall also be qualified as attempted murder the employment which may be made against any person of substances which, without causing actual death, produce a lethargic coma more or less prolonged. If, after the person had been buried, the act shall be considered murder no matter what result follows.

The methods of creating and controlling zombies vary among bokors. Some bokors use blood and hair from their victims in conjunction with voodoo dolls to zombify their victims. Others methods of zombification involve a specially prepared concoction of mystical herbs, in addition to human and animal parts (sometimes called “coup padre”).

Ingestion, injection, or even a blow dart may be used to administer the potion variety. When these substances come into contact with the victim's skin, bloodstream or mucous membranes, the victim is rendered immobile within minutes, succumbing to a comatose-like state resembling death. The victim retains full awareness as he is taken to the hospital, then perhaps to the morgue and finally buried in a grave.

The bokor then performs an ancient voodoo rite; taking possession of the victim's soul, and replacing it with the loa that he or she controls. The victim's "trapped" soul is usually placed within a small clay jar or some other unremarkable container. The container is wrapped in a fragment of the victim's clothing, a piece of jewelry, or some other personal possession owned by the victim in life, and then hidden in a place of secrecy known only to the bokor.

The bokor raises the victim after a day or two and administers a hallucinogenic concoction, called the "zombi's cucumber," that revives the victim. Once the zombi has been revived, it has no power of speech, its past human personality is entirely absent, and the memory is gone. Zombis are thus easy to control and are used by bokors as slaves for farm labor and construction work."

voodoo zombies do not die. they are put into a death-like trance, a heavy hypnosis. i promise i'm not making this up! haha. so once again, romero's zombies are no more traditional zombies than 28 days later.

Wow, I have to give it to you. I mean the damn Haitian Penal Code !! That's research :eek: !!!

I say whatever helps us all sleep at night is what we should think :cool:. The scary (in a good way) thing is that we can all get into these serious discussions regarding zombie/non zombie movies :). More power to us all !! :skull:

ipotts85
27-Jul-2006, 06:20 PM
Wow, I have to give it to you. I mean the damn Haitian Penal Code !! That's research :eek: !!!

I say whatever helps us all sleep at night is what we should think :cool:. The scary (in a good way) thing is that we can all get into these serious discussions regarding zombie/non zombie movies :). More power to us all !! :skull:

that's why we are here! haha