PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Woman (film)

Neil
20-Jan-2016, 11:42 AM
i9Ur4De7yT8

bassman
22-Jan-2016, 04:35 PM
Huge DC fan and I'm really looking forward to this. The first WW film since the creation of the character, fingers crossed they get it right!

EvilNed
22-Jan-2016, 07:12 PM
"She stands for equality."

Oh, is that why you gave her such revealing clothing?
I hate interviews like this. Buncha fucking idiots thinking they're talking about something important. Let's get real here; You're plugging an action film. End of story. There's nothing more to it. Stop acting as if you're producing anything important, because you aren't. Also Kevin Smith, stop nodding in that over produced sleak studio of yours if you want us to take this seriously. Sit down and talk to your guest in a meeting that's obviously not scripted - because this is.

bassman
23-Jul-2016, 08:01 PM
5lGoQhFb4NM

Looks great! Although she was kinda shoe-horned into Batman V Superman, she was still good in the role and this looks to be taking her in the right direction!

shootemindehead
24-Jul-2016, 03:49 PM
Ugh, going with a war angle again?

Those periods kill these things for me.

I know Captain America and Wonder Woman were essentially American propaganda vehicles, but as a student of both wars for many years, when they're inserted into superhero films, it just turns me off completely. i just can't go with it.

Still, nice Fokker though. :lol:

I think the likes of Thor and Wonder Woman have to be a couple of the stupidest superheroes ever invented tbh. They do absolutely nothing for me and the "gods" angle is a bloody awful device. I know there are worse superheroes in comic books throughout the decades (Arm-Fall-Off Boy and Squirrel Girl, I'm looking at you!), but as far as main superheroes that everybody would know, these two suck.

MinionZombie
24-Jul-2016, 05:29 PM
The trailer looks pretty schweet as we used to say in the early 00s. :D

Seriously though, it looks good.

Speaking of Thor ... yeah ... of the Marvel flicks Thor was one of the ones I liked least, and I found the second Thor movie totally forgettable. I prefer the character as part of the Avengers rather than in a standalone flick, personally.

Not seen BvS yet - still - BUT I've got the extended edition pre-ordered on Blu-Ray, so I'll get to see it in a couple of weeks.

Neil
02-Aug-2016, 05:07 AM
Not seen BvS yet - still - BUT I've got the extended edition pre-ordered on Blu-Ray, so I'll get to see it in a couple of weeks.
Interested to see what you think on this one...

Neil
04-Nov-2016, 05:22 PM
1Q8fG0TtVAY

Neil
19-May-2017, 08:36 AM
Well, early reviews seem +ve - http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1660939/wonder-woman-has-screened-heres-what-critics-think

LivingDeadGuy
23-May-2017, 04:14 PM
Wonder Woman - America's favorite amazon warrior in skimpy clothing.

bassman
29-May-2017, 08:26 PM
Early professional critic reviews are positive, as well as early fan screenings. The general consensus is that this is DC's first truly great entry that should help redeem the franchise from the decidedly split opinions from Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad. Perhaps the greatest comparison​, IMO, is that they're saying it is very much cut from the same origin story cloth from Richard Donner's Superman​: The Movie.

Waiting this final week for release is going to be agony! :lol:

bassman
02-Jun-2017, 11:47 PM
It has it's issues, but the positives very much outweigh the negatives. Even though I can still enjoy Man of Steel, THIS is really the kind of big screen treatment the character deserved. That's the biggest thing this movie leaves you feeling, when you walk out, you KNOW who Wonder Woman is and what she's about. It's overwhelming how they were able to capture the true essense of the character. I haven't felt the same feeling from a DC film since Gordon's "watchful protector" epilogue in The Dark Knight.

Hopefully this is a good stepping stone for DC to continue on successfully with this shared universe. Snyder, Jenkins, Gadot, and everyone involved hit a good stride with this one.

MinionZombie
03-Jun-2017, 09:16 AM
And isn't it with Wonder Woman that DC now have their own version of Kevin Feige overseeing the whole DCEU? They didn't have that in the previous flicks, but with WW this is the first of the DCEU movies that have an overseer keeping things balanced from a high vantage point to steer and course correct. :cool:

Been hearing a lot of good things about it. There's been a 'narrative' surrounding the DCEU in the media (as if BvS and Suicide Squad was the tearing down the DCEU, and WW is the rise of the phoenix from the supposed ashes), which we could do without, but Wonder Woman looked like a really cool flick just from the trailers long before release. Being that they had their 'overseer' fully installed for WW, I had a good feeling about this one from the get-go and that this one would break the 'narrative'. Seems to be the case. :thumbsup:

LivingDeadGuy
03-Jun-2017, 02:22 PM
Wonder Woman's lasso of truth is so kinky. :kiss:

bassman
03-Jun-2017, 10:18 PM
And isn't it with Wonder Woman that DC now have their own version of Kevin Feige overseeing the whole DCEU? They didn't have that in the previous flicks, but with WW this is the first of the DCEU movies that have an overseer keeping things balanced from a high vantage point to steer and course correct. :cool:

Been hearing a lot of good things about it. There's been a 'narrative' surrounding the DCEU in the media (as if BvS and Suicide Squad was the tearing down the DCEU, and WW is the rise of the phoenix from the supposed ashes), which we could do without, but Wonder Woman looked like a really cool flick just from the trailers long before release. Being that they had their 'overseer' fully installed for WW, I had a good feeling about this one from the get-go and that this one would break the 'narrative'. Seems to be the case. :thumbsup:

If I remember correctly, they announced that Geoff John's and some other WB executive were taking over the DCEU sometime near the middle or end of production on WW. It wasn't too terribly long ago. Before that it was Snyder that was kind of leading the team. He has credits for story and producing WW, as well.

One of the greatest things about WW is how they were able to successfully balance the tone to appeal to the majority of audiences. Where as Man of Steel and BvS held a darker tone that caused a divided reaction, Wonder Woman found a way to carry that same weight, while also bringing levity to the film. With the World War 1 setting it needed to have a darker tone, but somehow they found a perfect balance to give it a more universal appeal.

I'm looking forward to going to see this again!

Neil
10-Jun-2017, 11:54 AM
Well, it has some good elements/scenes. But I must admit some of it felt "slow," and some of it just felt as if we'd entered super duper wuper super hero territory, where instead of feeling we had a ground set of rules for our heroes, the rules were all over the place. eg: Wonder Woman starts shoots super duper energy beams when required...

DC still seem to be having problems IMHO, but this at least an improvement...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW...

Why did Steve need to blow himself up at the end?

bassman
03-Jun-2018, 03:48 PM
The sequel is underway, Kristen Wiig has been cast as popular antagonist Cheetah, 1980’s setting confirmed, and the director’s social media accounts seem to point toward the title being “Wonder Woman 1984”....

MinionZombie
03-Jun-2018, 04:22 PM
It'll be interesting to see Wiig tackle something outside her comfort zone. She did an excellent job with The Skeleton Twins (as did Bill Hader).

I'd like there to be some reference to what she was up to during WW2, mind you. :D

bassman
03-Jun-2018, 04:50 PM
Yeah, Wiig seems to be trying roles outside of comedy recently. Skeleton Twins, The Martian, This Is Me, and Mother!, which I’ve not seen yet. I’ve always really liked her and feel like she has the potential to transition into a successful actor in the same way Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, or Steve Carell did.

bassman
13-Jun-2018, 02:43 PM
Official press release, first official image, it is titled Woman Woman 1984, aaaannd....spoilers for the first movie below...

Chris Pine is returning?? There are a few ways this could go, I guess. He survived the events of the first movie(though he’d be very old), he’s a descendant of Steve Trevor(the comics and I think even the old Linda Carter show did this?), or its just some form of flashbacks/memories. I’m hoping for the latter, as the others could be extremely hard to pull off...

https://image.ibb.co/eMaqcy/Dfkycq_QXk_AEO_Op.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfkvDJeX4AAoDzt?format=jpg

Yup....can’t scream “80’s!!!!” much more than that....

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/ww1984-image2.jpg

Loving the Members Only jacket. :lol:

EvilNed
13-Jun-2018, 03:44 PM
That's a nice setting but I believe they would have hit a bigger audience if they'd played on the 90's nostalgia kids.

MinionZombie
13-Jun-2018, 04:18 PM
The 1980s are more defined and identifiable as a decade, there was more change and turbulance than in the 1990s, which kind of built upon events of the 80s or changing them into something else. The dying years of the Cold War would be more interesting for Wonder Woman as nuclear paranoia resurfaced and things were kind of on the brink again.

Looking forward to seeing it! :thumbsup:

EvilNed
13-Jun-2018, 05:19 PM
The 1980s are more defined and identifiable as a decade, there was more change and turbulance than in the 1990s, which kind of built upon events of the 80s or changing them into something else. The dying years of the Cold War would be more interesting for Wonder Woman as nuclear paranoia resurfaced and things were kind of on the brink again.

Looking forward to seeing it! :thumbsup:

I agree. But you know, the 80's nostalgia wave has kinda come and gone.

bassman
13-Jun-2018, 05:58 PM

If it is a wave, I’m not so sure it’s gone yet. There’s not a week that goes by when I don’t go through the city and see people with remarkably 80’s style haircuts or clothing.

MinionZombie
13-Jun-2018, 06:03 PM

It's come, but brother, it ain't gone what with the likes of "Atomic Blonde" and synthwave. 80s nostalgia feels quite enduring, partly down to the culture - the movies and music in particular - so even if the fascination might ebb from time-to-time, it surges back again.

90s nostalgia is more rare to find - although "The To-Do List" is set in the 90s (a quite enjoyable saucy comedy with Aubrey Plaza), and the sitcom "Fresh Off The Boat" is set in the mid-90s.

There's a bit of an untapped thing for 90s nostalgia, though, and even turn-of-the-century nostalgia (as in, the millennium).

EvilNed
13-Jun-2018, 06:06 PM
Maybe I'm off. You guys could be right. I just figured the people who adore the 80's are not the target audience anymore.

bassman
13-Jun-2018, 06:08 PM
Having seen some behind the scenes stuff on Captain Marvel, I can say that film is going to heavily rely on 90’s nostalgia. Grunge, plaid shirts, the whole nine yards. Perhaps there’s a chance that Jenkins and Johns were aware of this and didn’t want to have the films too heavily compared? Or it’s just that Wonder Woman has had some historic events take place in the 80’s instead of them really relying on nostalgia to bring in viewers...

MinionZombie
14-Jun-2018, 09:49 AM
The viewers coming to Wonder Woman 2 will be coming because of the character and the franchise, rather than 80s nostalgia. The 80s thing is just a cool bonus and setting for her, and I suppose it's also an interesting middle ground (or, not so middle, but somewhere between anyway) from the first movie where it was World War 1 society and the present day (where we've also seen her - in BvS), so the 80s, building upon the 60s and 70s, saw more women going into work and taking positions of power etc so it plays into that underlying theme of the material. Although that theme is so strong in and of itself that you don't need to push it too hard in the script, if that makes sense, otherwise it'll come off as forced and even disingenous (i.e. trying too hard or a flat out polemic). I think they got the balance right in the first movie, certainly with the light/dark tone, and the themes of women was inherent to the source material anyway and the juxtaposition of her homeland to World War 1 society was stark enough that it kind of did a lot of the heavy lifting itself.

Anyone know when a trailer will be out? Looking forward to that. :)

bassman
14-Jun-2018, 09:52 AM
^ They’ve just recently started principle photography, so it will likely be a while before we see a trailer with substantial footage. However, it’s basically a certainty that they’ll put something together for Comic Con next month.

MinionZombie
14-Jun-2018, 10:11 AM
^ They’ve just recently started principle photography, so it will likely be a while before we see a trailer with substantial footage. However, it’s basically a certainty that they’ll put something together for Comic Con next month.

Ah! I'd forgotten you mentioned they'd only just started shooting! :o hehe ... still sleepy this morning. I'm decidedly not a morning person. :lol:

bassman
18-Aug-2018, 08:01 AM
They’re still spreading the 80’s love in their self promotion, now with this famous John Hughes poster reference....

https://twitter.com/FionaUnderhill/status/1030455123510624256?s=20

MinionZombie
18-Aug-2018, 10:07 AM
They’re still spreading the 80’s love in their self promotion, now with this famous John Hughes poster reference....

https://twitter.com/FionaUnderhill/status/1030455123510624256?s=20

Interesting that Spider-Man: Homecoming did the same gag (scrolling down that Twitter thingy a smidge) ... although I'd totally forgotten about that (or is some fanboy making it up? Conspiracy! :lol: )

Anyway, the 1980s should provide enough glam and lightness, but at the same time I don't want the DC movies to lose sight of their darker edge, which is something they've always done better than Marvel. I don't want my DC movies to just be copies of Marvel movies, you know? It's just a balancing act, one that didn't work in the utterly split Justice League (but considering its buggered up production and two different directors with very different vibes, it's hardly surprising).

bassman
20-Aug-2018, 12:44 PM
I agree that I don’t want DC to lose some of what set it apart, but at the same time, I think they can find a good middle ground between the two. Patty Jenkins did a pretty great job with balancing the darker tone, while also peppering in some levity to keep it appealing to wider audiences. I enjoyed Snyder’s films, but there’s no question that he went a bit too far with the darker, serious tone. So here’s hoping that Jenkins can continue the good balance that she began with the first WW film.

If nothing else, I’m glad to see DC kicking in some variety into their films. There can still be the dark and grounded stories like we’ve seen before, with more on the way(The Batman, The Joker, etc), but there is also variety with Aquaman appearing lifted and Shazam rightfully leaning into the more comedic elements of the story.

MinionZombie
20-Aug-2018, 04:31 PM
Yeah, Wonder Woman got the tone right. It was dark when it needed to be dark, it was light when it was appropriate to be light (and in context, too), and it was also able to inject the good old comic book vibe in here and there (e.g. dark comic book supporting villain - the doctor lady with the face mask, for instance). When the humorous moments came along they were almost always born out of the situation - hence my "in context" comment - and the fish-out-of-water experience for Diana, not to mention the absurdity (as we now recognise it in the 21st Century) of the way society operated a century ago (and I'm sure we'll look positively quaint in some way to those living a century from now).

Now, Justice League on the other hand, really made a balls up of mixing the tones and it all comes down to two very different directors working on the same project. Whedon's sense of humour is very self aware and kinda snarky, and it doesn't always work, and even feels a smidge dated now (it can feel a bit 1990s at times). Then again, so much of American comedy resorts to "state the obvious" or "just say what's happening on-screen, but in a high pitched squeal of disbelief" instead of anything crafted with a bit of wit. Annnnnnyway, while something like Batman v Superman did lean very heavily on the darker tone, it did have a consistent vision behind it. BvS could have used a smidge more levity here and there, but even still, I really enjoyed that movie. I've seen it a couple of times now (in the three hour director's cut version) and that movie got way too much flack. Yeah, it takes things seriously and it's not always successful and there's an awful lot of CGI in it, but it's a solid superhero flick and a good blockbuster watch.

The trailer for Aquaman looks kinda cool - it's like "yeah, we're riding big ass fish into battle ... what of it?" and looks pretty badass while doing it. I enjoyed Aquaman in Justice League, and speaking of that film I enjoyed The Flash in it too, although the snarkiness didn't always land (basically down to what was being said, rather than the fact that something was being said, at certain points ... if that makes sense? See above point about Whedon's style of humour).