PDA

View Full Version : Victoria (film)

Neil
09-Apr-2016, 12:14 PM
This sounds insanely clever and epic - http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/31/victoria-review-one-take-berlin-schipper-heist-thriller

Victoria is a gripping heist drama set on the streets of Berlin that plays out in real time in one continuous, 138-minute camera shot, carried along on a giant skittery wave of adrenaline and logistical daring. Shooting this must have felt like pulling off an actual bank job, with the mind-boggling levels of planning and imposture it surely entailed. Like a bank robber, Schipper must have been terrified of some random passerby showing up and wrecking everything.

Kp8wcV3GjW0

shootemindehead
09-Apr-2016, 01:35 PM
Is it really one take, or is there a bit of creative cutting going on like Hitch did with 'Rope'?

MinionZombie
09-Apr-2016, 04:34 PM
Is it really one take, or is there a bit of creative cutting going on like Hitch did with 'Rope'?

I was reading about this flick in Total Film the other month, and I'm pretty damn sure it's a single uninterrupted take - no tricks.

IIRC, they had a bunch of rehearsals, and then they attempted the movie like 3 or 4 times, and obviously things went wrong at some point during earlier takes, so they canned the whole thing, came back a few days later and had another go. Once they got it they got it.

Piss easy job for the editor, then. :lol:

*checks*

Yep. One single take. From Wiki:

The film was shot in one single long take by Sturla Brandth Grøvlen from about 4:30 AM to 7:00 AM on 27 April 2014 in the Kreuzberg and Mitte neighborhoods.[7][8] Director Sebastian Schipper completed the filming in three attempts.[9] The script consisted of twelve pages, with most of the dialogue being improvised.[10] To get financers on board Schipper promised to deliver a version using jump cuts as a "plan B" if he couldn't achieve the final product in a true one-take.[11] Schipper has characterized the jump cut version as "not good".[11]

So yeah, tried filming it twice and failed, but got it on the third attempt. Bosh. Impressive! :cool:

shootemindehead
09-Apr-2016, 05:46 PM
Something tells me though, it'll be the only that that's really impressive about the film.