PDA

View Full Version : Hacksaw Ridge (film) - Mel Gibson directs

Neil
31-Jul-2016, 08:15 AM
Based on a true story, how has this not already been made into a film?

The film is based on the true story about US Army medic Desmond T. Doss, a Seventh-Day Adventist conscientious objector who refused to bear arms, yet was awarded the Medal of Honor by President Harry S. Truman for single-handedly saving the lives of over 75 of his comrades while under constant enemy fire during the brutal Battle of Okinawa in World War II.

s2-1hz1juBI

MinionZombie
31-Jul-2016, 10:13 AM
Well that looks quite interesting - and different, too.

I'll certainly check it out some time.

shootemindehead
31-Jul-2016, 04:12 PM
I might be up for that.

Happy to see Mel back making films TBH. He may say some batshit crazy things (although I think he might just be an alcoholic) but he's made some great pictures in his time. If you haven't seen 'Apocalypto', then do so.

As for why this hasn't been made before, it probably has something to do with Doss being a seven day wonder. Conscientious objectors don't exactly fit in with the gun toting hollywood propaganda about WWII.

EvilNed
02-Aug-2016, 12:45 AM
My thoughts exactly. The film needs to embrace that shooting weapons is not inherently the best thing in every situation. A very, very un-american stance.

Neil
04-Sep-2016, 09:00 PM
Review seem promising! - http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1552520/mel-gibsons-hacksaw-ridge-just-screened-for-critics-heres-what-they-are-saying

shootemindehead
05-Sep-2016, 08:49 AM
Owen Gleiberman, was one critic who saw the film, and claims the feuding nature of the film works to its advantage, believing that this almost could have been made in the 50's

Oh dear. That's not a good sign as far as I'm concerned.