PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Discovery (TV series)

Neil
11-Aug-2016, 10:57 AM
Details appearing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37043956

Female lead and set 10 years before the original series.

EvilNed
11-Aug-2016, 11:17 AM
So the rumours were right.

bassman
14-Aug-2016, 12:01 PM
Between Enterprise and TOS. TOS is by far my favorite series, TNG at #2, but the rest are really take it or leave it, IMO. So hopefully it'll more TOS and less Voyager/DS9/etc

Neil
11-Mar-2017, 08:10 AM
Meet your new captain, Jason Isaacs - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/77396

kidgloves
23-Sep-2017, 10:54 PM
The buzz around this is very very promising. Creative Trek nerds seem to be in control from top to bottom.
Can't wait till tomorrow.

EvilNed
24-Sep-2017, 10:16 AM
The buzz around this is very very promising. Creative Trek nerds seem to be in control from top to bottom.
Can't wait till tomorrow.

Also amped. But creative Trek nerds is not always a good thing. Simon Pegg had considerable sway over Star Trek Beyond, which wasn't really anything stellar.

kidgloves
25-Sep-2017, 10:36 AM
Fanfeckingtastic

EvilNed
26-Sep-2017, 08:29 PM
I thought it was great. But damn, for a Star Trek series it sure started off dark.

Neil
26-Sep-2017, 08:55 PM
Yeh, not bad...

Although two things grated with me.
1) The new Klingons t-a-l-k-i-n-g s-o s-l-o-w-l-y...
2) So the Klingon ship lights up like a star and people light years away can see it after minutes instead of years? Has the speed of light changed over the next couple of centuries?

But better than Voyager's first episode(s) if I recall, and that turned out very well! So fingers crossed!

Neil
03-Oct-2017, 09:10 AM
Thought the 3rd episode felt rather flat and clunky...

bassman
19-Jun-2018, 08:25 PM
Today it was announced that Alex Kurtzman(Star Trek 2009, Transformers, Cowboys & Aliens) has signed a five year deal to develop an “expanded Star Trek Universe” for CBS, one of which will be led by the return of Patrick Stewart’s Captain Picard from The Next Generation.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/417915-alex-kurtzman-to-develop-more-star-trek-tv-shows-with-cbs

They stress that the deal with Stewart hasn’t been finalized yet, but it’s looking like it’s going to happen. I’m more of a fan of the original Enterprise crew, but Stewart was no doubt fantastic on TNG and fans would no doubt be thrilled to see him return. Kurtznan’s filmography is hit or miss, probably with more misses, but IIRC he’s quite the fan of Trek and knows it’s history quite well, at least.

Another possibility is an animated series centered around Khan Noonien Singh. :|....there are more characters in the Trek universe, FFS! Enough with Khan! The idea of a series during the Eugenics Wars would be interesting, but after bringing the character back with mediocre results in Into Darkness, it’s best to just let it rest for awhile.

In the meantime, Season Two of Discovery is set to premiere sometime in early 2019. I still haven’t seen the first season, so I need to catch up before then...

Neil
19-Jun-2018, 08:42 PM
Make it so!

ps: I game up on Discovery... Felt shallow and frankly daft...

EvilNed
20-Jun-2018, 05:13 AM
I didn't really like Discovery either. It wasnt' bad, but at times the writing was really bad.

bassman
05-Aug-2018, 03:38 AM
It’s now confirmed that the new Trek show on the CBS streaming service will indeed be a further exploration of Captain Jean-Luc Picard’s journeys and once again portrayed by Sir Patrick Stewart. No title or any other information at this point, just that Stewart is officially on board.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/patrick-stewart-will-reprise-role-of-jean-luc-picard-for-new-star-trek-show-229

This has definitely gone a long way in getting me more excited for this series!

EvilNed
05-Aug-2018, 09:54 AM
It’s now confirmed that the new Trek show on the CBS streaming service will indeed be a further exploration of Captain Jean-Luc Picard’s journeys and once again portrayed by Sir Patrick Stewart. No title or any other information at this point, just that Stewart is officially on board.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/patrick-stewart-will-reprise-role-of-jean-luc-picard-for-new-star-trek-show-229

This has definitely gone a long way in getting me more excited for this series!

Great news. It also mean, for the first time since Nemesis, that we'll return to the late 24th century.

If they follow Patric Stewarts aging, which they might as well, the show will be set in 2395.

Furthermore, speculation time;

With the evident destructive weather patterns lately (I.e; Man-made climate change), it wouldn't surprise me if they picked up on a thread started in Season 7 of TNG; Episode Force of Nature.
In it they discover that Warp technology is slowly tearing the universe apart. In effect; They either have to start limiting Warp travel or face disastrous consequences to the entire universe. Much like us and air travel.

Neil
05-Aug-2018, 03:02 PM

This has definitely gone a long way in getting me more excited for this series!I gave up with Discovery, so hopefully Stewart's show will drag me back!

kidgloves
05-Aug-2018, 10:22 PM
Really excited for this.
I thought Discovery was excellent. Enjoyed it immensely

bassman
27-Feb-2019, 07:40 PM
Discovery has been renewed for a third season.

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/star-trek-discover-set-to-beam-up-on-cbs-all-access-for-a-third-season

I actually own the first season on digital, but have yet to give it a spin. I know initial reviews were mixed, but I get the impression that most fans feel it has since improved, so perhaps a third season will really hit the mark?

EvilNed
02-Mar-2019, 07:08 AM
Shame on me, but I've yet to watch a single episode of Season 2.
I think Season 1 was a hit and miss. But sometimes it was such an awful miss.

bassman
24-May-2019, 12:08 AM
Trailer and poster for the new Patrick Stewart-led Trek show, Picard:

f3om4V_-Y0Q

https://www.joblo.com/assets/images/joblo/news/2019/05/Star-Trek-Picard-poster-913.jpg

shootemindehead
24-May-2019, 03:49 AM
^
From Wiki

The series is set 20 years after Jean-Luc Picard's last appearance in Star Trek: Nemesis (2002), and finds the character deeply affected by the destruction of Romulus as depicted in the film Star Trek (2009)

Ugh...no thanks.

Don't like trying to attempt to join up Abrams shitty, fake, Trek, with Picard's Next Gen Trek.

They are absolutely incompatible.

bassman
26-May-2019, 11:56 AM
^
From Wiki

Ugh...no thanks.

Don't like trying to attempt to join up Abrams shitty, fake, Trek, with Picard's Next Gen Trek.

They are absolutely incompatible.

I know you’re not a fan of the Kelvin Timeline and that’s understandable. However, it seems to me that Romulus being destroyed is the most minor of links to Abram’s film and could still provide an interesting story as to how that effected Picard. Considering he had a history there.

And if we were to get deeper into the time travel whirlwind, Spock attempted and failed to save Romulus within the prime timeline before the Kelvin timeline had branched off? I know, that’s splitting hairs and it’s still within Abrams’ film, but technically it’s not within the new timeline because that technically didn’t start until Spock and Nero travel back?

EvilNed
26-May-2019, 02:02 PM
Romulus being destroyed happened in the prime timeline of Star Trek. I don't see how that's a problem. Also it's bound to be a rather significant event in universal politics so it feels fitting that the show would deal with it.

I also hope it picks up on some of the enviromental issues started in Season 5 of TNG I think. There was an episode where they concluded that warp drive rips up the spacetime in it's wake - meaning that warp travel is slowly destroying the universe. That feels so fitting in these times.

bassman
21-Jul-2019, 02:22 AM
Picard Trailer:

KbXy0f0aCN0