PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! Stranger Things discussion (all seasons)

bassman
06-Feb-2017, 10:54 PM
The original season of Netflix's Stranger Things is the kind of programming that we regular members here would have discussed with great joy, but for whatever reason I can't seem to find a thread on it. Or maybe I'm just getting old and senile.

Anyway, the first teaser for Stranger Things 2 premiered during the Superbowl last night. For just a thirty second ad, it had me tingling with joy!

9Egf5U8xLo8

shootemindehead
07-Feb-2017, 09:27 AM
Cheers for that!

TBH, I'm in two minds about a 'Stranger Things' sequel though, the first one being nigh on perfect for our generation recall fix.

I hope it's as good as the first one, which I'll have to give another spin soon.

Neil
07-Feb-2017, 09:49 AM
So is Stranger Things another series I need to put on my "to watch list"?

MinionZombie
07-Feb-2017, 10:00 AM
I keep hearing about Stranger Things, but I never got around to seeing it (I don't have Netflix, for one :D) ... there's only so much telly time in the day and it's all booked up. :lol:

I would like to watch it some time, though.

shootemindehead
07-Feb-2017, 06:44 PM
The pair of ye should be ashamed of yourselves.

bassman
07-Feb-2017, 08:35 PM
You should moth most certainly make it a mission to see ST! While it's a great show on it's own terms, it's also a fabulous throw back to Speilberg, Carpenter, and just general 80's greatness. In a way it could be related to Abrams' Super 8 in that it's direct reference to that era, and while I enjoyed Super 8, ST tops it with very little contest. MZ, I know you would definitely fall in love with it, no question.

If you guys don't have Netflix, do yourselves a favor and seek out the first season by any means necessary. Being that it's a Netflix original series, it could possibly be a long while before we see a DVD release, which I've been eagerly waiting for...

AcesandEights
08-Feb-2017, 01:40 PM
The pair of ye should be ashamed of yourselves.

^ This. This, right here!

Go queue it now and start watching. Don't get back to us till you have watched multiple episodes.

Moon Knight
09-Feb-2017, 10:21 PM
Stranger Things brought my childhood back.

EvilNed
10-Feb-2017, 06:29 AM
I never saw it. Tho I don't watch TV at all. Might give it a go.

MinionZombie
10-Feb-2017, 09:48 AM
Stranger Things brought my childhood back.

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.258461906.4511/sticker,375x360.u3.png

:D

AcesandEights
17-Feb-2017, 09:02 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpz81S7usvTIM8w/giphy.gif

Did you guys check it out yet?

MinionZombie
18-Feb-2017, 10:36 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpz81S7usvTIM8w/giphy.gif

Did you guys check it out yet?

:lol::lol::lol:

Nope.

Don't have Netflix. Got a list of things still to watch. Although I do want to watch it eventually.

bassman
18-Feb-2017, 11:11 PM
Put the rest of your list aside and watch it now man!

You can send us a nice fruit basket as a thank you...

AcesandEights
20-Feb-2017, 01:45 AM
Put the rest of your list aside and watch it now man!

You can send us a nice fruit basket as a thank you...

A++ idea from Bass!

Aside from a few childhood friends I experienced the 80s with, people here are the 1st ones I thought of when I saw Stranger Things. Definitely worth your time, and quite possibly worth seeing it before a binge marathon that includes a second season doesn't allow you to fully...ruminate...on the majesty of the 1st series as a standalone.

clanglee
26-Mar-2017, 01:57 AM
In case you guys still haven't seen ST. Let me also urge you to do so. . . . Best show in years. I know everybody says that about everything these days. But in this case it's true.

bassman
23-Jul-2017, 10:15 PM
Comic Con trailer:
https://youtu.be/vgS2L7WPIO4

Amazing use of Vincent Price/Thriller!

MZ, you started the first season yet??

MinionZombie
24-Jul-2017, 10:34 AM
MZ, you started the first season yet??

Nope. :lol: I'll get to it some time, I'm sure.

I tell you what 80s throwback show I have watched lately - "GLOW" - and it's ruddy good. :)

bassman
24-Jul-2017, 08:38 PM
Nope. :lol: I'll get to it some time, I'm sure.

I tell you what 80s throwback show I have watched lately - "GLOW" - and it's ruddy good. :)

WTF man?!? Earlier in this thread your excuse was that you don't have Netflix, but you said you've watched Glow and that's a Netflix original series like Stranger Things! Straighten your life out and make ST the priority, man! :lol:

bassman
27-Apr-2018, 02:19 PM
Season Three Teaser

https://youtu.be/YKYJ_DAofOM

Really more of a production announcement, actually...

bassman
01-Jan-2019, 07:17 PM
New poster and release date. For whatever reasons, they missed their normal routine of premiering in October for Halloween and will instead premiere this year on July 4.

https://www.joblo.com/assets/images/joblo/news/2019/01/stranger-things-3-poster.jpg

shootemindehead
02-Jan-2019, 10:09 AM
Still haven't watched 2.

Kinda not bothered either. The first series was pretty much perfect for me.

Neil
02-Jan-2019, 02:38 PM
Still haven't watched 2.

Kinda not bothered either. The first series was pretty much perfect for me.

Isn't that kinda a contradiction? ie: What's to say season 2 isn't more of the same?

shootemindehead
02-Jan-2019, 04:56 PM
Isn't that kinda a contradiction? ie: What's to say season 2 isn't more of the same?

Um, no. What I mean is I just don't need the continuation of what I felt was a great self contained story that hit all the right notes with me.

Especially if, as I suspect, the law of diminishing returns sets in.

I'll probably watch it at some point, but I'm in no hurry to?

Neil
02-Jan-2019, 07:19 PM
Um, no. What I mean is I just don't need the continuation of what I felt was a great self contained story that hit all the right notes with me.

Especially if, as I suspect, the law of diminishing returns sets in.

I'll probably watch it at some point, but I'm in no hurry to?OK... I really do need to watch the first season don't I :)

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2019, 09:47 AM
Okay, bassman - you've journeyed hard and long to get to this point: I've started watching Stranger Things. :D

Had a bit of time between shows last night and all this renewed pestering from you folks to get me to start watching Stranger Things finally rubbed off and I watched episode 1x01 last night.

I rather enjoyed it, too. I like the group of kids as it reminds me of my friends at school, how we were definitely not the 'in crowd'. When I was at school we were still in that mode where nerds weren't 'cool' or box office clout, now they are, but back then they weren't, so I'm automatically in with this little gang. I've never played D&D, but I enjoyed the contrast from the opening where real shit's going down to this kid's basement where their fictional adventure is reaching a similar peak of danger, hehe.

Winona Ryder is excellent here. I loved the subtle little thing when she was on the phone talking to the other mother, who was the one to ask "is he missing?", but Ryder's character didn't want to admit that out of some sort of shame. I thought that was a really nice little touch to add in there.

The first encounter is kinda like "what if E.T. went wrong" - kid goes out to the back garden shed, encounters an alien or somethingeruther, but it's not all Reeses Pieces and glowy fingers, it's some weird shit going down. Indeed, you can feel the Spielbergian/Amblin vibe, and hints of Stephen King. A cool synth soundtrack, nice use of genre tropes etc etc ... yep, just one episode so far, but I'm diggin' it.

I reckon I'll watch the next episode (or two) today. :)

bassman
19-Feb-2019, 03:07 PM
Yay! This’ll be fun going through the series again! Just started it now so I can try and keep up with ya’s.

Agreed with the way the kids are portrayed. It feels very realistic. As you say, back then if we were into anything “nerdy”, it certainly wasn’t as common or accepted as it is today. The D&D connection continues throughout the show in sort of an important way, as well.

I’m going to have to be careful to not reference anything that comes later in the series or spoil any reveals for you. Having said that, as I’m watching right now I’m seeing little things that give some hints. Looks like it should be interesting for a second spin, as well.

On a sort of personal note....not only can I relate to the kids in the show, but my connection is taken a bit further because parts of it are literally filmed in the town I grew up in. Georgia is now the leading state of film and tv production, but this series is the first that is actually on the same streets I grew up on. It’s kinda strange, actually. For example, the sheriff’s office and arcade(season 2) are only a block away from grandmother’s home. I can see her property line in certain shots. ‘Tis weird. :lol:

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2019, 04:21 PM
Oh man, that's cool about it being shot in and around your childhood haunts. That must bring a really bizarre - but pretty awesome - new angle to the show for you, like a melding of fact and fiction. :)

I watched 1x02 earlier during lunch - who's the actress who plays the main kid's older sister (the one who's hanging out with that preppy bellend and "studying"). She looks really familiar and I can't place her.

I'm enjoying the haunted Police Chief character, too, this kind of ruined man just plodding on like an old junker car, and then getting thrown into a missing kid case plus, now, a "suicide" (I really liked Benny! :( ) I feel sorry for Barb, too, dragged along like a fifth wheel ... can't even enjoy a quiet toe dip in the pool without strange shit going down.

I also like how the teenage son of Ryder's character is a pretty decent dude ... ... voyeur photo sesh aside, lol ... ... you so often see teenagers be utter arseholes, especially teen boys, so it's refreshing to see him not only emotionally intelligent and aware but also caring (making food for his family, he took another shift so he could help out with money). Indeed, it's also nice to see a down-on-their-luck family who aren't just a bunch of shirkers - they work hard and have some pride, but the little bit of worry about appearances adds another dimension to it, stuff that Ryder is really playing well with.

Damn if she ain't getting through them telephones, though! :lol:

I'll watch 1x03 tonight. :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2019, 10:13 AM
Last night I bashed out 1x04, 1x05, and 1x06 ... and I'm loving it.

The discovery of Will's body has been a rollercoaster, Nancy visited the upside down, that scumbag bully's been dealt with, that preppy douchebag is an arsehole, Jonathan needs a cuddle, I'm digging the little team of Jim and Joyce (and it was badass when he infiltrated the military base).

And these kids they've got in the cast - wonderful actors, all! It's not 'child acting', it's full blown acting. They're so believable in the parts and their chemistry is on-point.

Gonna bash out 1x07 and 1x08 tonight ... then temper expectations for the second season what with Shoot's dour view on it. :D

bassman
21-Feb-2019, 12:08 PM
Glad you’re liking it! I can’t say any specifics, but your perception of some of these characters may change as it goes on! ;)

Speaking of Will’s body....the end of that episode with the cover of “Heroes” playing over the final montage? Even on multiple viewings it brings the feels!

Hopper has become one of my favorite characters in recent memory. If this show was actually made in the eighties, he feels like he would’ve been Michael Beihn. I was excited at the prospect of the actor being the new Hellboy, but then the trailer left me a bit disappointed. I’ll still probably see it, mainly for David Harbour.

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2019, 04:28 PM
Speaking of Will’s body....the end of that episode with the cover of “Heroes” playing over the final montage? Even on multiple viewings it brings the feels!

Oh yeah, that whole bit was really heartfelt - and again, those kids did a fantastic job of selling the moment ... and then Jim having to tell Joyce, oh man, so well done.

Indeed, I really dig David Harbour in this role and hopefully it was just a shite trailer for Hellboy (especially after all that talk about making it really dark etc).

Watched 1x07 during lunch ... at least preppy boy told his douchebag friends to jog on ... he's still a dick, but slightly less of one now.

Consider me sucked right in. :D

bassman
22-Feb-2019, 01:02 AM
^ Steve does have an interesting arc and development, that even gets better and better. Just about all of the characters are written really well and go through real changes as the story goes on. It should be very interesting in the seasons to come!

The writers deserve top accolades, for sure. It’s kinda funny, for a show that clearly owes a lot to Stephen King, King himself has praised the Duffer Brothers for what they’ve created, even calling the show “straight up, balls-to-the-wall, top notch entertainment”. I’m sure they were quite pleased to hear that!

I’m lagging a little behind, so I’m trying to finish up season one tonight so that I’m caught up with you. Working on 6-8. Good times! :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
22-Feb-2019, 09:51 AM
haha, now it is you who is behind me, muahahahaaaaa. :elol:

Well, except that you've already seen the episodes, but whatevs. :D

I finished up season one last night and also bashed out 2x01. I can see where Shoot's thought process might come from - because season one wraps up in such a way that the viewer gets a lot of closure, particularly emotionally speaking, even though there are various threads left dangling (yeah, I'll just nip to the bathroom to honk up an alien worm thing and then merrily go back to Christmas dinner :D ).

The first episode of season two - it has a slower feel to it, or rather, being that it's the beginning of a new season it's naturally not going to be at the same pace as the end of the previous season, and it takes some time to show us more of the lives of these people and kids. There also seems to have been a budget increase (e.g. the arcade, new characters and locations).

Aye - Steve has grown a bit now, which is good, because he was an arse before ... although Jonathan is better suited to Nancy, I'd say. Indeed, I'm a big fan of the Jonathan character and as I said before, it's nice to see a teen boy character not be a scumbag arsehole ignoring everyone else as that's the on-screen cliche. A part of me always wanted to have a little brother, so I guess that's part of why I like that character so much.

I'd forgotten that Sean Astin was in this season, and this gentle guy thing with an aversion to horror movies ... ... I don't trust it, but maybe that's other shows peaking my paranoia about him, haha. Who knows.

Seemingly still some mystery about Barb - although she looked pretty dead to me in the last couple of episodes of season one! And I wonder who this shady dude with his Russian agent conspiracies is. And how come Eleven is back? Ooh, let's see...!!!

I really do love this Spielberg/King vibe that the show has, and I think we can all feel a warmth from the image of these kids riding around their neighbourhood on their bikes as that's what we all did when we were their age. :)

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2019, 10:54 AM
Okay, got 2x02 and 2x03 done now - and poor Will's been nabbed by that big ass smoke spider thing in the upside down!!!

Generally, so far at least, the overall threat is seeping out slowly and there's more of a character drama focus in this one - so the pace is different, but being that I really enjoy these characters it's okay by me. It's kind of a clash between glimpses of large scale cataclysm and small scale (relatively) everyday goings on.

Indeed, the characterisations are really good. You're not entirely sure if someone who appears so goody two shoes really is, but then maybe they are and they're just a nice dude (e.g. Sean Astin's character). Meanwhile Paul Reiser - that was a nice surprise to see him join the cast - and that his character is so affable and friendly with Will in that examination scene, but then he's shadier in other scenes.

It's interesting to see Hopper as a kind of surrogate father for Eleven, especially after the loss of his own daughter in his backstory ... and what's with this weird slimey creature thing that shot out of Will's gob and ended up in Dustin's bin?

Oh, and naturally I luxuriated in the nostalgia of Ghostbusters in episode 2. :D:lol::D Loved it when they turned up at school all dressed up (with two Venkmans ... poor Winston, always getting the shaft!) but nobody else was in costume.

And Steve is much more likeable now, although I've never seen him and Nancy as a proper match deep down. However, it's nice to see him drop the douchebaggery and be more real and you can now see he means well. The other new dude in the sweet Trans-Am, though, with the shite hair-do? Oof, what an arse! :lol:

bassman
23-Feb-2019, 12:46 PM
I made it through to 204 last night. Agreed on all points. A few little things I noticed....there’s a short little musical sting that sounds awfully similar to the Gremlins theme when they’re chasing the polywog/Dart in the school. Also....when Will finds it in the restroom and radios the others....the dialogue is suspiciously close to the “come in, Ray...” dialogue at the Ghostbusters’ first bust.

I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say it, but I think by the end of this season, Steve may be one of your favorite characters.

I’m waiting for you to make it to 204 so I can reveal a huge hint I noticed back in 201 on this second spin. :p

Btw, MZ, don’t watch it until you’ve finished all of season two, but Netflix also has Beyond Stranger Things, which is essentially the only special features for the show. I think you’d enjoy it, but as I said, definitely don’t watch it until you’re all caught up. Also, I’m digging the new Vorhees avatar! :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2019, 04:04 PM
I made it through to 204 last night. Agreed on all points. A few little things I noticed....there’s a short little musical sting that sounds awfully similar to the Gremlins theme when they’re chasing the polywog/Dart in the school. Also....when Will finds it in the restroom and radios the others....the dialogue is suspiciously close to the “come in, Ray...” dialogue at the Ghostbusters’ first bust.

I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say it, but I think by the end of this season, Steve may be one of your favorite characters.

I’m waiting for you to make it to 204 so I can reveal a huge hint I noticed back in 201 on this second spin. :p

Btw, MZ, don’t watch it until you’ve finished all of season two, but Netflix also has Beyond Stranger Things, which is essentially the only special features for the show. I think you’d enjoy it, but as I said, definitely don’t watch it until you’re all caught up. Also, I’m digging the new Vorhees avatar! :thumbsup:

1) Hey, yeah! I noticed that Gremlins-esque musical sting, too. I almost thought I was hearing things, but this Polywog thing does have a hint of Gremlins to it.

2) Ooh, a bold claim ... we shall see, eh!

3) Aye, I stumbled upon the thumbnail for "Beyond Stranger Things", so I've added it to the watch list and will do it afterwards, as you say. Better to binge watch the show then binge watch the after-show, hehe.

4) I figured Negan had had a good long run in my avatar, so it was time for a little freshen up. The appearance of a trick or treater dressed as Jason in 2x02 inspired the choice. :thumbsup:

I'll see about getting 2x04 bashed out soon, probably slide it in tonight after some other viewing (The Grand Tour, and my continuing second run through the first season of Fargo).

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2019, 04:20 PM
Okay, 2x04 and 2x05 done now.

An upside-down tunnel system beneath Hawkins, now the gub'mint have showed up to burn shit (but Will's going nuts). Eleven has found her birth mother, Nancy and Jonathan are hanging out with the conspiracy nut etc etc.

I liked the comment from Max about the (true) story she was told. No doubt some of those lines were pinched from lukewarm reviews for Season One? :lol:

Overall the pace is slower in Season 2, and while the scale of the trouble is growing, the closer focus on the characters simultaneously makes it feel a bit smaller, so it's a mixed bag in terms of pacing, but I am very much still enjoying it even if Season 1 generally had more oomph.

The Byers' house - season one: covered in Xmas lights, season two: covered in crayon drawings ... what will season three entail? :lol:

Will see about bashing out another one or two episodes tonight. :)

bassman
24-Feb-2019, 04:36 PM
One of the little hints I noticed this time around: at the start of the first episode of the season, they use a song from Oingo Boingo called “Just Another Day”. The lyrics relate to the season to come, but more importantly, Danny Elfman’s first line in the song is “There’s life under ground”. This is heard within the first few minutes of the episode. Gave me a good chuckle...

MinionZombie
25-Feb-2019, 10:02 AM
Just one episode left to go now.

I bashed through 2x06, 2x07, and 2x08 last night ... and Nooooooooooo!!!! Bob!!!! - I was suspicious that he was too nice, but it turned out he was just a thoroughly good dude.

Was a bit iffy on 2x07 as it felt a bit disjointed being in a completely different location with completely new characters, and I didn't care for "Eight" because she's a manipulator with her mind set on destruction and vengeance, willing to use anyone to achieve her objectives (although the characterisation was good).

I loved the double entendre in, IIRC, 2x06 the morning after at the conspiracy loon's house: "Did you enjoy the pull out?" (referring to the pull out couch), but we all know what Nancy and Jonathan were up to. ;) :kiss: :lol:

2x06 and 2x08 had a distinctly "Aliens" vibe with the monitors and motion detector and watching monitors etc (plus with Paul Reiser watching it all tensely from a control room, haha). I'm enjoying Reiser's character, too. You can see he's been able to bring a little touch of his comedic timing and deadpan delivery to further spice up the characterisation, and it's nice to see the Hawkins Lab lot get a bit more humanised too (so it's not just a simple "gub'mint people = bad") as they're all trying to figure this shit out as well.

Nice to see Mike and Eleven reunited, too. And I'm really liking Steve now, hehe, just as you said. He's really grown. I still can't be doing with the weight-lifting, chain-smoking douchebag though (sure, he's got a shitty Dad, but he's still a prick himself).

bassman
25-Feb-2019, 10:47 AM
That’s funny that you mention Aliens, as I’d made the same comparison! Season Two is the Aliens to Season One’s Alien in terms of the size and feel.

Bob’s last name, Newby, gave me a chuckle as one of the new characters on the show. They were pretty on the nose with that one. At one point he gets excited about the “X marks the spot” possibility of treasure on the map, as well(Goonies). :)

MinionZombie
25-Feb-2019, 04:34 PM
Bob’s last name, Newby, gave me a chuckle as one of the new characters on the show. They were pretty on the nose with that one. At one point he gets excited about the “X marks the spot” possibility of treasure on the map, as well(Goonies). :)

haha, yeah, I like those little nods and winks to the audience.

So I wrapped up season two at lunch time - man, Steve took a right old beating there! The bit with Eleven and Hopper mid-way down that shaft with him holding back Demadogs while she closes the gate was pretty darn sweet ... but one of the things I like most about this show is that they take the time to let the viewer enjoy the moments outside of the main plot. We get to see the characters in other contexts - so it was lovely to get a solid ten minutes at the end of 2x09 whereby it's all character stuff, the dance, coming-of-age goings on and whatnot. Dustin trying to get a dance at the Snow Ball was sweet, then funny, then sad, then happy when Nancy pulled him onto the dance floor. Speaking of, the little team of Steve and Dustin is pretty good fun (the hair stuff, haha!), so it's interesting to see these odd little combinations of characters here and there.

I feel sorry for the loss of Bob, but then again it does allow room for Hopper to maybe, eventually, get in there with Joyce as they seem like a potential good couple as well.

Geez, I'm like an old lady - "I'm watchin' mah stories!" :lol:

Oh - Mike's mother reading that romance novel in the bath was hilarious, and then she comes down and Billy's being all 'Fabio' like and cool and she's all hot & bothered, haha! Billy's still an utter bellend, mind.

bassman
25-Feb-2019, 04:57 PM
The characters on the book cover look suspiciously similar to Billy and Mrs Wheeler, as well!

A small detail that’s not outright stated: throughout the two seasons we see Hopper wearing a blue hair band on his wrist, which we learn was from his deceased daughter, and then in 209, Eleven is wearing it on her wrist at the dance. That was sweet and I love little details that are snuck in like that!

MinionZombie
26-Feb-2019, 09:40 AM
A small detail that’s not outright stated: throughout the two seasons we see Hopper wearing a blue hair band on his wrist, which we learn was from his deceased daughter, and then in 209, Eleven is wearing it on her wrist at the dance. That was sweet and I love little details that are snuck in like that!

Oh! I didn't catch that one, although I think I recall a moment when Hopper fiddles with the band on his writst and I figured it must be something to remember his daughter by.

I started watching Beyond Stranger Things last night (five down, two to go :lol: ) and I'm really enjoying that, too. I dig that it's quite relaxed and doesn't really have much structure, it's just a roundtable chat and they just go with it, unlike the very rigid format of Talking Dead (for example). I love that it's quite loose, as well - the kids in particular are quite funny as they fidgit with dice or blow their nose during the others' answers. :lol:

I also noticed a familiar name in the credits - Supervising Producer: Patrick J. Doody - one of HPOTD's members from way back when. :cool::thumbsup::) I've been trying to recall his username on here, but I recall emailing with him many moons ago as he hooked me up with an interview with Igo Kantor (producer of the Wings Hauser movie "Mutant", which I made a website for waaaay back in the day).

bassman
26-Feb-2019, 02:53 PM
MZ, I reckon we should probably add spoiler warnings to the thread title? If you could, please sir. We’ll just have to start a new one for Season Three.

MinionZombie
26-Feb-2019, 04:13 PM
Polished off the last two "Beyond Stranger Things" episodes ... ... I guess I'll go watch those little EPK videos in the "trailers and more" segment ... ... Stranger Things withdrawal is already setting in. :lol:

MZ, I reckon we should probably add spoiler warnings to the thread title? If you could, please sir. We’ll just have to start a new one for Season Three.

Done. :)

bassman
26-Feb-2019, 04:19 PM
Polished off the last two "Beyond Stranger Things" episodes ... ... I guess I'll go watch those little EPK videos in the "trailers and more" segment ... ... Stranger Things withdrawal is already setting in. :lol:

:lol:

About five months until Season Three! Having just watched the series again, like you, it sort of reignited my fandom and now the wait is going to feel like an eternity!

We should have a trailer for the new season any day now, actually....

bassman
20-Mar-2019, 12:52 PM
Season Three Trailer:

YEG3bmU_WaI

I like that the focus is on the kids and very little on the plot. I do have some fears of the “sequel’s gotta be bigger!” curse...

MinionZombie
20-Mar-2019, 05:23 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Man, I'm stoked!

Full blown 1980s, too. Lycra. Shopping malls. Neon, etc. :D

The scale seems bigger, but only in so far as where they go to tell their story, if that makes sense? That's how it looks anyway. Think about the beginning of season 2 when they created a whole arcade for some of the scenes to take place in. The story was still quite intimate, but with a bigger budget it allowed them to recreate more of the normal places of the past (e.g. the mall in that trailer).

I wonder if Hopper is on a date in that one shot ... waiting for Joyce, perhaps? :kiss: :D

I loved the added exploration of the cast in the second season, getting to see them in their normal lives a bit more. There was a bit of filler in the second season and 9 rather than 8 maybe felt a smidge overlong for it, but I do love these characters an awful lot and get really wrapped up in it, so scenes like Steve and Dustin playing lightsabres just has me giggling. :D

bassman
20-Mar-2019, 09:39 PM
So with the inclusion of the mall, I bet we can expect at least five Dawn references...

MinionZombie
21-Mar-2019, 10:25 AM
So with the inclusion of the mall, I bet we can expect at least five Dawn references...

haha! Oh, I hope so! :thumbsup:

shootemindehead
21-Mar-2019, 05:11 PM
But 'Dawn of the Dead' is the 70's lads (in fact it's soooooo 70's) and this show is now in the mid 80's. Can't see them doing that to be honest.

MinionZombie
21-Mar-2019, 06:18 PM
But 'Dawn of the Dead' is the 70's lads (in fact it's soooooo 70's) and this show is now in the mid 80's. Can't see them doing that to be honest.

Still, though, at that point Dawn would only be 7 years old, so still fairly recent and would have settled in to the home video market for a while at that point. So it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility, even though the movie is from the 1970s (1978 properly, but 1979 in America specifically, IIRC).

Just a little nod and a wink, is all we're asking for. :D

shootemindehead
21-Mar-2019, 08:27 PM
Still, though, at that point Dawn would only be 7 years old, so still fairly recent and would have settled in to the home video market for a while at that point. So it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility, even though the movie is from the 1970s (1978 properly, but 1979 in America specifically, IIRC).

Just a little nod and a wink, is all we're asking for. :D

Sure, but I can't recall a 70's reference in either 1 or 2, so...

bassman
21-Mar-2019, 11:33 PM
Alien, Close Encounters, Carrie, Evil Dead, etc.

JDP
22-Mar-2019, 12:07 AM

Evil Dead is from 1981, though.

shootemindehead
22-Mar-2019, 08:38 AM

'Alien'...or 'Aliens'? :p

bassman
22-Mar-2019, 09:34 AM
Buncha picky mother f*ckers! :lol:

MinionZombie
22-Mar-2019, 10:37 AM
'Alien'...or 'Aliens'? :p

Aye, to be fair the big reference episode (beyond "Ghostbusters" anyway) in season 2 was regarding "Aliens", what with Paul Reiser being there. :)

Buncha picky mother f*ckers! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2019, 04:17 PM
Seeing as "Stranger Things" is back for season 3, I figured I'd resurrect (and re-name) this thread so we can gab about it. :D

Please use 'spoiler tags' for discussing these new episodes, as we'll all be binge-watching at different rates to one another.

3x01

LOVED the Day of the Dead "sneak preview" scene - I thought they were going in to see Back to the Future, but then The Duffer Brothers sneak that little one in there. It was so cool to see Lori Cardille up there on the screen-within-a-screen getting some major mainstream attention.

Loved the Starcourt Mall intro (and the impact on the town's small businesses), and a callback for Bob - and what's going on with the fridge magnet/picture of Bob? Is he somehow alive in the Upside Down?

Seeing Hopper having to deal with Eleven's full blown pashing obsession was hilarious, and sweet when he was being coached in what to say.

And Jake Busey! (albeit playing a chauvinistic arse in the newsroom).

I'll no doubt crank through another couple of episodes later today.

bassman
07-Jul-2019, 12:59 PM
No spoilers, but I really enjoyed the new season! It’s hard to rank the three available seasons because discovering that first one is always special, but I think I might have enjoyed this one a bit more than the second entry. At this point it’s almost like you’re tuning in to catch up with old friends, so I immensely enjoyed all the focus on the characters and how they’re growing. It almost felt like the first two-three episodes were all about the people, and I loved it.

If we were to say ST1 was Spielberg, ST2 was Cameron, then ST3 feels like Romero to me? Aside from the obvious Day references, this season feels most attributed to Romero’s horror contributions, if that makes sense?

I’ll wait a bit for other folks to finish up before I get into spoiler specifics. Overall, pleased with the show still!

MinionZombie
08-Jul-2019, 09:43 AM
I've just got the last episode to do tonight, but so far I've been very much enjoying it.

Perhaps ... maybe ... the 'upside down' aspect of the show has been a bit weak in this season, if that makes sense? I wonder how much material is left in that, but we shall see. Although, the more horror vibe to it is welcome with all this gloopy, gooey, fleshy gunk ... it's definitely a bit grosser than previous seasons, hehe. :elol:

Episode 6:

During the heart-to-heart between Robin and Steve, did anyone else catch the use of a piece of music from the Day of the Dead soundtrack? Surely you all did. I was so happy to hear that come in and it worked so well.

Episode 7:

I think the Duffer Brothers themselves get the balance of the show best ... well, makes sense seeing as they created it, lol! ... but I mean in balancing the drama of the show, the character stuff, and the 1980s nostalgia. For example: the scene where Lucas is extolling the virtues of "New Coke", or all the stuff at the funfair. They manage to juggle all the different aspects of the show so well within an episode, even within a single scene. The bit where Robin and Steve are in the toilets honking up was a bit character scene and just the way it was written and how the actors performed it really took you on a journey and handled the reveal of Robin's sexuality subtly, not in a "It's 2019, look at me, ain't I woke?" kinda way, but in a natural, honest, and heartfelt way that you can really get invested in.

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished the season...

Episode 8:

First off - the post-credits scene - it's gotta be that Hopper is still alive and has been captured by the Russians. They refer to him as "The American" on several occasions, and do so again in the Kamchata prison, so that's who it must be ... besides, we didn't see Hopper die, and he's a main character, so I'd very much hope he's still around to fight another day.

However, they did a wonderful job of tying up the season and gave us a really healthy chunk of time to see some of what happened next - the speech that Hopper wrote (but never got to deliver) was beautifully written and so well performed, and that whole sequence was so well put together in the edit that it really packed a punch.

Seeing the Byers family move away from Hawkins really struck a chord as well and played into the overall themes of change (and getting overwhelmed by it) that played throughout the season.

The big finale in the Starcourt mall was jolly good fun with the Mind Flayer stomping about and the fireworks and the epic build up to destroying "the machine". There was a very impressive sense of scale going on.

https://pics.ballmemes.com/when-you-finish-a-series-on-netflix-what-am-i-3087708.png

bassman
08-Jul-2019, 12:23 PM
Really disappointed there’s no Beyond Stranger Things this time around!!

MinionZombie
08-Jul-2019, 04:18 PM
Really disappointed there’s no Beyond Stranger Things this time around!!

I know!!! What's up with that? I really enjoyed BST, it was a nice way to ease out of Stranger Things, you know?

Regarding episode eight:

There's another theory going around about Hopper - that he jumped into the Upside Down - and so "The American" could be someone else, so perhaps there could be some kind of subversion of audience expectations ... ... but I still reckon Hopper being captured by the Russians is the most likely scenario.

El losing her powers ties in with that - meaning she (and everyone else) believes he's dead and can't locate Hopper until Season 4 rolls around. ;)

bassman
08-Jul-2019, 05:18 PM
I know!!! What's up with that? I really enjoyed BST, it was a nice way to ease out of Stranger Things, you know?

Exactly. I also figured it would have brought in great numbers for Netflix, but being that they withhold their respective ratings, who knows? Maybe it wasn’t doing well enough to justify organizing the schedules of those involved?

Regarding episode eight:

There's another theory going around about Hopper - that he jumped into the Upside Down - and so "The American" could be someone else, so perhaps there could be some kind of subversion of audience expectations ... ... but I still reckon Hopper being captured by the Russians is the most likely scenario.

El losing her powers ties in with that - meaning she (and everyone else) believes he's dead and can't locate Hopper until Season 4 rolls around. ;)

One thing was certain in my mind from the very second he disappeared: “nope nope nope....no pile of steaming flesh goo on the floor, no death!” :lol:

I do think the most likely option is that he’s in the upside down. Could be a good parallel to the end of season one and how he started to become the father figure while Eleven was trapped in there.

MinionZombie
08-Jul-2019, 06:14 PM
Episode 8:

So if Hopper was in the upside down, who do you think "The American" might be?

There could be a good storyline with El's powers re-emerging and her somehow connecting to Hopper in the upside down. I think that'll surely happen even if he's in Kamchata prison.

What were some of your favourite non-lore moments from this season (i.e. just the small everyday things)?

Some of mine...

Naturally, I loved the Day of the Dead references in episode one and episode six, and the BTTF references.

The riff on Fast Times, in the pool, was lots of fun with all the mothers eyeing up Billy.

The stuff with Dustin and then Will feeling disjointed from the group had a lot of impact and poignancy, too, those growing pains and feeling askew from your friends out-of-the-blue.

All the mall stuff was really good, and you can't not love the Steve/Dustin combo ... and I really grew to dig the Robin/Steve combo as well.

I loved the video store scene near the end, too, with Steve struggling to name his top three movies.

bassman
09-Jul-2019, 12:06 PM
I can’t really imagine who else the American may be at the moment. Was there a wrap up for the hermit conspiracy guy? I can’t remember his name, but he seems to be gaining a larger and larger part as the show goes on, so I could see him having been taken and kept by the Russians because of his knowledge of what all has happened in Hawkins? Maybe it’s not even a person?

Tons of non-lore moments stick out, including all the ones you mentioned. I also loved the talk between Nancy and Mrs Wheeler with the “why not?!?” lesson. That rang true to me and felt real.

If we get into some slightly negative marks....why was Jonathan Byers even in this season? I mean, I know he’s a main character, but he served no purpose other than tagging along with Nancy and her story. It’s like Jonathan’s story was dropped once his brother was no longer the main focus of the Mind Flayer...

I also feel like they went a bit too far with the “Terminator Russian”. It worked toward the beginning of the season, but became a bit too in-your-face as it continued on. The turning point probably being when the mayor calls him Arnold Schwarzenegger. After that, the terminator homages became a bit silly.

It’s more of a behind the scenes moment, but once I realized that Robin is played by Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke’s daughter, I could see them in her face a lot. Luckily I didn’t find out till the end of the show, so it didn’t stand out and distract me too much :p

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2019, 04:16 PM
I can’t really imagine who else the American may be at the moment. Was there a wrap up for the hermit conspiracy guy? I can’t remember his name, but he seems to be gaining a larger and larger part as the show goes on, so I could see him having been taken and kept by the Russians because of his knowledge of what all has happened in Hawkins? Maybe it’s not even a person?

If we get into some slightly negative marks....why was Jonathan Byers even in this season? I mean, I know he’s a main character, but he served no purpose other than tagging along with Nancy and her story. It’s like Jonathan’s story was dropped once his brother was no longer the main focus of the Mind Flayer...

I also feel like they went a bit too far with the “Terminator Russian”. It worked toward the beginning of the season, but became a bit too in-your-face as it continued on. The turning point probably being when the mayor calls him Arnold Schwarzenegger. After that, the terminator homages became a bit silly.

1) There's a theory that "The American" could be Dr Brenner, which could tie-in with the theory that Hopper is in the upside-down. A sort of subversion of expectations deely. IIRC the conspiracy theorist is fine and dandy - he gets Joyce out of there and they both encounter the folks Joyce called. They're both wearing Russian uniforms and have to scream out that they're American so they don't get shot.

2) It's a big cast and some felt a bit sidelined. Jonathan certainly chipped in and did his part, but he didn't really have much of an arc this season, so it felt. There were some others who got a bit of a short shrift in proceedings with only little bits. Erica got loads more to do, but she was quite annoying with her sheer arrogance ... and was anyone really crying out for more Erica?

3) I dug the Terminator styled Russian - he had a great look and was ideal for that part. Sure, the reference to Arnie is too on-the-nose and I would have cut that line and come up with something else, but I really enjoyed that funfair battle in the house of mirrors and the big brawl beside "The Key".

Moon Knight
16-Jul-2019, 03:56 AM
Damn I love the 80's.

Neil
16-Feb-2020, 08:24 PM
Just finished Season 1. Pretty good :)

Onto Season 2 now...

MinionZombie
17-Feb-2020, 09:36 AM
Just finished Season 1. Pretty good :)

Onto Season 2 now...

Is this your first time seeing Stranger Things, Neil?

Neil
20-Feb-2020, 06:30 PM
Is this your first time seeing Stranger Things, Neil?

Yep!! Just spotted Burke (from Aliens) in S02E01 :)

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2020, 09:54 AM
Yep!! Just spotted Burke (from Aliens) in S02E01 :)

Oh, very cool! - Yeah, Paul Reiser's really good in season 2, a nice injection of a humorous personality (but not over the top or anything) for his character works very nicely.

Neil
15-Apr-2020, 11:15 AM
OK Season 2 completed :)

Onto Season 3...

Of course Season 4 has been CV19'd :(

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2020, 04:15 PM
OK Season 2 completed :)

Onto Season 3...

Of course Season 4 has been CV19'd :(

Thoughts on season 2, Neil?

Neil
15-Apr-2020, 07:41 PM
Thoughts on season 2, Neil?

Generally good. My kids said it wasn't as good as the first season, but I generally enjoyed it just as much :)

MinionZombie
16-Apr-2020, 10:13 AM
Generally good. My kids said it wasn't as good as the first season, but I generally enjoyed it just as much :)

Yeah, the first season was so perfect that the second season was never going to be able to quite live up to it, but like you I enjoyed it just as much. Perhaps it helped that I watched 1 and 2 back-to-back? That said, I did enjoy season 3 more than 2 (and I went into that with a lot of anticipation).

Oh - btw - there's a companion show for season 2 on Netflix called "Beyond Stranger Things", which is a selection of brief episodes featuring roundtable interviews with cast and crew about the making of the season. One of our old school HPOTD members - Patrick Doody - was supervising producer on it, too. :)

Neil
16-Apr-2020, 01:59 PM
Yeah, the first season was so perfect that the second season was never going to be able to quite live up to it, but like you I enjoyed it just as much. Perhaps it helped that I watched 1 and 2 back-to-back? That said, I did enjoy season 3 more than 2 (and I went into that with a lot of anticipation).

Oh - btw - there's a companion show for season 2 on Netflix called "Beyond Stranger Things", which is a selection of brief episodes featuring roundtable interviews with cast and crew about the making of the season. One of our old school HPOTD members - Patrick Doody - was supervising producer on it, too. :)

Why have I only been told about this now? ARGH!

MinionZombie
16-Apr-2020, 04:06 PM
Why have I only been told about this now? ARGH!

Yeah, Netflix aren't the best at linking up a show like that to it's progenitor, or telling viewers about any additional content that may be in the "trailers and more" section.

Neil
07-Nov-2021, 07:27 PM
Season 4...

h_8ifYK56TY

MinionZombie
08-Nov-2021, 10:28 AM
Looking forward to it ... although it's still months away!

Neil
08-Nov-2021, 10:44 AM
Looking forward to it ... although it's still months away!

I must watch season 3!

MinionZombie
08-Nov-2021, 12:38 PM
I must watch season 3!

Fuck sake, Neil - where've you been?! :D

I really enjoyed season 3. Blasted through it in two days, then that post-binge feeling of "now what do I do with my life?" struck. :lol::lol::lol:

Neil
08-Nov-2021, 01:16 PM
Fuck sake, Neil - where've you been?! :D
In The Upside Down!

MinionZombie
08-Nov-2021, 03:37 PM
Looks like this season will be more expansive. Hopefully Hawkins will still feature, and hopefully the new stuff won't be like that kinda naff outlier episode from season two.

In The Upside Down!

No joke of a lie, I almost edited my post to say just that. :p

Neil
14-Apr-2022, 02:32 PM
yQEondeGvKo