PDA

View Full Version : 7 Days To Die (video game)

Tricky
22-Feb-2017, 02:10 PM
Any of you guys playing this on PC? It's still in the development stage but is very playable in its current state. Basically it's like Minecraft with regards building a base and crafting tools, weapons etc, but with realistic graphics, gravity and hordes of zombies. You start the game in the post apocalyptic wasteland and have to start foraging for resources and building a secure base (or fortifying one of the abandoned homes that are dotted around) before the zombies who increase in numbers and aggression over the days lay siege to it.

eHlkodJ7Emw

Neil
22-Feb-2017, 05:58 PM
I had a great time playing Empyrion for a while, which is a sort of space survival game a bit like this I guess...

So what do you think of 7 Days To Die then?

Tricky
23-Feb-2017, 12:41 PM
I had a great time playing Empyrion for a while, which is a sort of space survival game a bit like this I guess...

So what do you think of 7 Days To Die then?

I like it but it's very hard!! Especially at night when the shambling zombies become athletes and you have no chance of getting away! I started a new game last night and found a two storey house which I've decided to fortify rather than start a new building from scratch, which so far I've found to be mission impossible. The list of items you can craft is quite daunting and so far when I tried to build my own scratch built base I couldn't figure out how to put a roof on it.
Great game though, and I'm sure they will keep improving on it seen as it's still an alpha release. Tonight I'll be building a cobblestone wall around my house and then digging a moat around it to fill with sharpened wood spikes

Neil
23-Feb-2017, 01:50 PM
I like it but it's very hard!! Especially at night when the shambling zombies become athletes and you have no chance of getting away! I started a new game last night and found a two storey house which I've decided to fortify rather than start a new building from scratch, which so far I've found to be mission impossible. The list of items you can craft is quite daunting and so far when I tried to build my own scratch built base I couldn't figure out how to put a roof on it.
Great game though, and I'm sure they will keep improving on it seen as it's still an alpha release. Tonight I'll be building a cobblestone wall around my house and then digging a moat around it to fill with sharpened wood spikes

Can you play it co-op with friends?

Tricky
23-Feb-2017, 04:17 PM
Can you play it co-op with friends?

Yes it has multiplayer options. I'm currently playing single player as I don't like having my game ruined by randoms, but quite happy to play with some of you HPOTD folks if we can get a game going! :cool:

ProfessorChaos
24-Feb-2017, 06:08 AM
bought this on the ps4 a while back, and sad to say, i've not really had much interest in it. this game is much more geared towards a mouse and keyboard rather a controller. rather clunky feeling and very daunting at the start. will probably give it another try one of these days.

Tricky
01-Mar-2017, 12:43 PM
Well I'm figuring this game out much more now, I was able to find all the components to build a forge which opens up a whole new world of items to craft in terms of weapons, walls and defences. I spent a whole (in game) day with my new iron forged shovel digging a moat all the way around the abandoned house I've decided to fortify, then chopped loads of trees down with my new iron axe which I turned into spike traps which to fill the moat with. Sitting on the upstairs balcony when a zombie horde comes and starts trying to break through my defences is a tense time! I've reinforced the door, put more wooden spikes around it, boarded up the windows and managed to craft a bow and arrow and a primitive blunderbuss to try and defend myself if they break through. Very addictive game once you start to figure it out!

Neil
03-Mar-2017, 12:49 PM
Well it was 60% off, so I've bought it...

Blagger71
03-Mar-2017, 11:14 PM
Hello....I have been playing this game for just over a year and it is awesome. I play the PC version mostly as the Xbox controls are not really suited to this game. Just a few tips.....if you can spare the space don't scrap stuff, smelt it as is. This especially applies to car radiators. I would say that brass and nitrate are the two most precious commodities in game as these mats make ammo. Oh and stay away from the bears........

Tricky
08-Mar-2017, 12:22 PM
Yeah I can't imagine it being very suited to consoles, the crafting/backpack menu is quite fiddly and really needs the mouse and keyboard interface.
I found an abandoned military base while out exploring and the zombie soldiers who came shambling out were carrying some good kit, certainly improved my arsenal! Although it's still no big comfort when a horde comes in the middle of the night, especially seen as bullets are limited and I haven't found or been able to buy the schematic to make 7.62 rounds yet. I also acquired the chainsaw from a zombie corpse in the aftermath of a horde, it gets through fuel quickly but makes light work of hordes and trees. I've found hammering away at abandoned cars gives me plenty of gas for it. I'm on day 48 and the hordes are getting more frequent, even when it's not blood moon night! I planted some hub cap landmines outside my base and it ramps up the tension when you're in your house crafting or whatever, and you suddenly hear the booms outside and you just know you're under siege again...

Neil
08-Mar-2017, 12:36 PM
Yeah I can't imagine it being very suited to consoles, the crafting/backpack menu is quite fiddly and really needs the mouse and keyboard interface.
I found an abandoned military base while out exploring and the zombie soldiers who came shambling out were carrying some good kit, certainly improved my arsenal! Although it's still no big comfort when a horde comes in the middle of the night, especially seen as bullets are limited and I haven't found or been able to buy the schematic to make 7.62 rounds yet. I also acquired the chainsaw from a zombie corpse in the aftermath of a horde, it gets through fuel quickly but makes light work of hordes and trees. I've found hammering away at abandoned cars gives me plenty of gas for it. I'm on day 48 and the hordes are getting more frequent, even when it's not blood moon night! I planted some hub cap landmines outside my base and it ramps up the tension when you're in your house crafting or whatever, and you suddenly hear the booms outside and you just know you're under siege again...

I read to set the game up not to have runners over night when you first play? Yes? No?

Tricky
09-Mar-2017, 08:35 AM
I read to set the game up not to have runners over night when you first play? Yes? No?

That could be a good idea, the zombies are traditional shamblers through the day but the aggression and speed is ramped up at night, it's not so bad when you've managed to acquire firearms, but with a bow and arrow and a stone axe it's impossible to fight them off or get away from them at night! The packs of zombie dogs are a nightmare too.
I'm up to day 49 on my game now, last night a huge horde descended on my camp and kept coming all night. Most of them died on my defences but a few managed to get through and my defences are all but gone on one side, I saved and quit at the point when dawn broke and they stopped coming as it was getting late, but next time I play I'll be doing some major repairs to my perimeter spikes and walls.
Be aware that the crawling zombies will tunnel underneath your walls or house to get at you, and obviously once they're through others will follow, at that point you'll find yourself backed into a room desperately trying to nail the door shut as they break through :eek:

Trin
14-Mar-2017, 05:50 PM
I've been playing this as well.

I'm on Day 10 or so with a buddy and we're holed up in a desert junkyard/autobody shop we found and cleared (no easy task). It has a very satisfying upstairs set of rooms (ala Dawn) with one set of stairs and door into it. It has roof access to keep tabs on the surrounding area. The days are spent trying to scavenge food and water, trying to explore the surrounding area, trying to find materials for shoring defenses (or progressing what we can build) and trying to endure the heat. Nights are spent hiding and/or fending off the ever-increasing numbers and ferocity of the zombies.

I like the progression. The zombies seemed pretty lame at first. Just a few around and they were idiotic about breaking into even the flimsiest of structures. With bow or axe they were kinda hard to kill (which is super annoying) but pretty easy to avoid. As days/nights progressed though they became more frequent and more aggressive. We got trained to seek shelter at night, and then learned we needed to start building defenses. We've most recently discovered that even our defenses are weak. They will pretty much break through anything eventually.

It's been pretty fun. There is always the craving to explore and find new things, but it is confounded by the day/night cycle, food/water/rest needs, and zombie threat. It's a decent balance. And the way the zombie aggression progresses makes for lots of "oh shit!" moments. The rules change subtly each night, and what you relied on only a couple nights ago won't hold true.

I can't imagine Day 49...

Neil
14-Mar-2017, 06:09 PM
I've been playing this as well.

I'm on Day 10 or so with a buddy and we're holed up in a desert junkyard/autobody shop we found and cleared (no easy task). It has a very satisfying upstairs set of rooms (ala Dawn) with one set of stairs and door into it. It has roof access to keep tabs on the surrounding area. The days are spent trying to scavenge food and water, trying to explore the surrounding area, trying to find materials for shoring defenses (or progressing what we can build) and trying to endure the heat. Nights are spent hiding and/or fending off the ever-increasing numbers and ferocity of the zombies.

I like the progression. The zombies seemed pretty lame at first. Just a few around and they were idiotic about breaking into even the flimsiest of structures. With bow or axe they were kinda hard to kill (which is super annoying) but pretty easy to avoid. As days/nights progressed though they became more frequent and more aggressive. We got trained to seek shelter at night, and then learned we needed to start building defenses. We've most recently discovered that even our defenses are weak. They will pretty much break through anything eventually.

It's been pretty fun. There is always the craving to explore and find new things, but it is confounded by the day/night cycle, food/water/rest needs, and zombie threat. It's a decent balance. And the way the zombie aggression progresses makes for lots of "oh shit!" moments. The rules change subtly each night, and what you relied on only a couple nights ago won't hold true.

I can't imagine Day 49...

How easy is it to play co-op then with someone else?

ProfessorChaos
15-Mar-2017, 03:10 AM
i take it that all of you gents are playing on PC, correct? this game could be great fun with a couple of good players i would imagine....

Tricky
15-Mar-2017, 01:19 PM
I'm up to day 60 now, I'll put a screen grab up of my fortified house at some point. Hordes are getting more frequent and not just on the blood moon nights, they're relatively easy to deal with during the day when they're just shambling along though. I've read the blueprint for 7.62mm ammo so I can make rounds for my sniper rifle/AK-47 using my forge and workbench, I'm now going out on scavenging runs for lead, brass and the compounds you need to make gunpowder so I've got a good stash of ammo for when the zombies turn up. I found an abandoned prison in the middle of a remote town which I was sorely tempted to start turning into a Walking Dead style camp, but I've put so much work into my current base I decided against it and just broke in to loot it instead. I've also built a minibike now so getting around the map is much quicker and allows much more exploring!
Treasure maps are a really good find, often you'll find them when you loot zombie corpses after a horde raid, just be aware when you get to the marked spot on the map you'll need to dig to find the chest. I got 20,000 duke tokens in the last one which allowed me to buy a cement mixer and a load of other kit and resources so I can now make cement to reinforce my walls :cool:

My next project is going to be digging under my house to build an underground hideout with reinforced walls and an escape tunnel with solid vault doors so if a horde does break in eventually I can hold out down there till morning or just scarper down my tunnel and emerge safely elsewhere...

Trin
15-Mar-2017, 01:49 PM
How easy is it to play co-op then with someone else?
Shockingly easy. My buddy set up the game and I choose "Connect to Server" and filter by Friends. No DMZ or Port Forwarding required. It takes about 30 seconds to connect and load but it runs smooth as butter from that point on. Your character, skills, items, position all save from where you last exited. Games can be password protected to keep the wonks out. The person who starts the game owns the map so you have to be rather committed to playing together for use of that map/character. For me that works great because if we're not playing together I have other games to keep me occupied. Right off I can't think of anything negative in the multiplayer experience.

Update: We figured out how to spend skill points (yes, we're still nooby)! Now I can actually shoot my bow and kill zombies with a bit of proficiency. We semi-abandoned our desert stronghold due to lack of further scavenging opportunities and the overwhelming problems caused by the desert heat (i.e. thirst, heat stroke). And it appears that the escalating horde problems were isolated to a couple of nights. We've not had significant problems on Days 9 and 10.

@Tricky - keep the updates coming! I probably would've abandoned this game as lame after the first couple of days/nights if I hadn't been tantalized by your descriptions of things to come!

Neil
15-Mar-2017, 01:55 PM
So how do you learn how to make all the different items? ie: How do you learn the recipes etc?

And if I'm right, when you're crafting you not only need the right ingredients, but you need to place them in the appropriate shape to craft what you're after?

Trin
15-Mar-2017, 05:59 PM
So how do you learn how to make all the different items? ie: How do you learn the recipes etc?

And if I'm right, when you're crafting you not only need the right ingredients, but you need to place them in the appropriate shape to craft what you're after?
7 Days has a basic Minecraft mentality for look and feel but with a Terraria-like crafting system. To be more specific, the crafting screen lists all the things 7 Days allows you to build and shows you the ingredients and crafting tools necessary. It is a searchable list so you can whittle down things fairly quickly. So there is not a lot of guesswork. Some more advanced items do require a specific recipe.

Unlike Minecraft you aren't just guessing. And the configuration of crafting items isn't a game concept. If you have the component items you can build the crafted item.

Personally, I find the crafting system a bit clunky. And I do miss the Minecraft discovery of crafting items facet.

Tricky
16-Mar-2017, 12:50 PM
Also you gain skill points all the time so you can spend those for certain perks which open up more crafting options, mainly the ammo perks which let you make rounds for the higher end weapons like the magnum, SMG, AK47 etc. They also let you get perks for stamina, maximum health, building better armour or cooking more filling food etc.

I played for a couple of hours last night and mostly spent it exploring, now I've got the minibike I can start heading out further into the map (which is gigantic!) and easily make it back to camp before 22:00 when the zombies get fast and aggressive. I found an abandoned church in the middle of the desert which I started to clear out of zombies, but got bitten and infected, then started to panic as I realised I had no anti-biotics in my inventory to cure the infection. I was absolutely miles from home so if I'd died there it would have taken me about 3 days in game time to get back there to retrieve my backpack with all my weapons etc in it. Luckily I made it back and used the pills I had in storage just before it killed me!

Neil
20-Jun-2018, 06:58 PM
Didn't get on with the game when I bought it... But maybe I need to give it another go after the upcoming big update - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Diary-Alpha-17!

Neil
30-Jun-2023, 10:08 AM
Z8XpHF_7lc8&

Polino1
23-May-2024, 12:21 PM
Anyome here still playing this game? The sorcery mod was a bit too much for me and I haven't played it much. The Wasteland mod is the best one for me because it reminds me of the Fallout game.

Neil
24-May-2024, 07:52 AM
I bought it, then hardly played it :confused: