PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th: The Game... (video game)

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2017, 09:36 AM
amhP0FJiwhc

Kane Hodder is back as Jason (doing motion capture), Tom Savini has been involved, and Harry Manfredini is on music duties. :hyper:

I wonder if there'll be a single player element to this game, because I'm not into online multiplayer personally.

Looks like fun, though!

shootemindehead
11-Mar-2017, 10:53 AM
Looks shite

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7A82n9AUvY0/Um7Je01VXFI/AAAAAAAAPF8/8FYAB7S9PYc/s1600/fr24.png

EvilNed
11-Mar-2017, 12:13 PM
I played the Beta.

Great idea. Poor execution.

JDP
11-Mar-2017, 01:17 PM
Looks shite

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7A82n9AUvY0/Um7Je01VXFI/AAAAAAAAPF8/8FYAB7S9PYc/s1600/fr24.png

I had the Commodore 64 version:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3FnDDUiC4Go/Um7JXdklLQI/AAAAAAAAPDE/OaepYWQNwiw/s1600/fr01.png

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2017, 04:26 PM
I played the Beta.

Great idea. Poor execution.

I'd hope they would fix many things, being that that was a Beta you played. It'll never be polished up like a typical AAA title from a big hitter Rockstar or Infinity Ward. I think it's made by a smaller/indie outfit.

I saw some earlier videos (from the Beta) and there were numerous broken things or clumsy things (I was surprised they even put the footage out there, or left certain bits in). Hopefully those have been sorted out.

Neil
11-Mar-2017, 07:03 PM
Clever... But I got bored of it just from the trailer!

EvilNed
12-Mar-2017, 01:31 PM
I'd hope they would fix many things, being that that was a Beta you played. It'll never be polished up like a typical AAA title from a big hitter Rockstar or Infinity Ward. I think it's made by a smaller/indie outfit.

I saw some earlier videos (from the Beta) and there were numerous broken things or clumsy things (I was surprised they even put the footage out there, or left certain bits in). Hopefully those have been sorted out.

Quite right, the clumsiness of the beta might very well be sorted.

shootemindehead
12-Mar-2017, 01:57 PM
I had the Commodore 64 version:

I was a Speccy boy. Remember trying to play 'Friday the 13th' as a kid, but had no manual. I hadn't a clue what I was doing in the game at all. LOL. In those days kids traded tapes with each other that had loads of games on them, so part of the "fun" was trying to figure out what the hell it was that you had to do.

JDP
13-Mar-2017, 10:03 AM
I was a Speccy boy. Remember trying to play 'Friday the 13th' as a kid, but had no manual. I hadn't a clue what I was doing in the game at all. LOL. In those days kids traded tapes with each other that had loads of games on them, so part of the "fun" was trying to figure out what the hell it was that you had to do.

I had both Sinclair and Commodore. First had a Spectrum 48K -my first personal computer ever- and later on I sold it and bought a 128K. Copying Spectrum programs was so easy, all you needed was a dual cassette player/recorder deck. I "pirated" a ton of programs for it that way. The C64 relied more on floppy disks as its media, so "pirating" its programs could sometimes get very complicated due to the mean copy protection schemes some of the software companies would come up with. For example, I could never finish Datasoft's Conan: Hall of Volta game for the C64 since every damn pirated copy of it had the later levels damaged due to its tough copy protection. I had to finish the game by playing the Atari 400/800 version, which did not have the tough copy protection of the C64 version.

shootemindehead
13-Mar-2017, 12:07 PM
I had both Sinclair and Commodore. First had a Spectrum 48K -my first personal computer ever- and later on I sold it and bought a 128K. Copying Spectrum programs was so easy, all you needed was a dual cassette player/recorder deck. I "pirated" a ton of programs for it that way. The C64 relied more on floppy disks as its media, so "pirating" its programs could sometimes get very complicated due to the mean copy protection schemes some of the software companies would come up with. For example, I could never finish Datasoft's Conan: Hall of Volta game for the C64 since every damn pirated copy of it had the later levels damaged due to its tough copy protection. I had to finish the game by playing the Atari 400/800 version, which did not have the tough copy protection of the C64 version.

Yeh, we used to just copy tape to tape. Sometimes it didn't work, but most of the time it was fine.

They later came up with some copyright protection and copying became harder to do that way, but you could send away for a gadget that allowed you to copy games to your hearts content.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/ZX_Spectrum_48_K_(ubt).JPG/440px-ZX_Spectrum_48_K_(ubt).JPG

A buddy of mine had this and he was tormented by all the other speccy owning kids asking to borrow it. Poor guy.

ProfessorChaos
13-Mar-2017, 05:17 PM
like mz, i am interested in this game if it has a strong single-player element to it. the older i get and the more responsibilities i take on, the less time i have for online gaming and all the antics you generally encounter with random folks online.

that said, this doesn't look like it's worth a full retail price of 60 bucks, so i will wait for reviews and impressions and the inevitable price drop (probably 20 bones is the most i'd be comfortable spending on it) before i make a decision.

in the interim, i recently picked a copy of the nes friday the 13th up, and have never made it very far in that game. gonna have to get around to beating it one of these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIK0-ndNpdw

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2017, 05:49 PM
that said, this doesn't look like it's worth a full retail price of 60 bucks, so i will wait for reviews and impressions and the inevitable price drop (probably 20 bones is the most i'd be comfortable spending on it) before i make a decision.

in the interim, i recently picked a copy of the nes friday the 13th up, and have never made it very far in that game. gonna have to get around to beating it one of these years.

1) Yeah, that's what I'll be doing. I really hope it turns out well - and has a good single player option, too!

2)
1raUvGNbZFg

:D

Neil
26-Mar-2017, 03:24 PM
Bit more info - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gory-violence-is-unavoidable-in-friday-the-13th-th/1100-6448686/?bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiNGY0M2M0ZGQtYTM1Yi00Njgy LWFmZDMtZWM4MWMxNzZjM2ZiIn0%3D&utm_campaign=20160510&utm_medium=email&utm_source=weekly_newsletter

MinionZombie
22-Apr-2017, 11:02 AM
5tgdZkuBgSs

New trailer, looking a bit more polished ... bear trap moment aside.

Still wondering if this has a single player option or not. I don't have XBLive, nor do I have any particular interest in online multiplayer in general ... but I do fancy stalking around classic F13th locations as Jason. :evil:

EDIT:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/friday-the-13th-game-launches-in-may-single-player/1100-6449529/

It was announced today that Friday the 13th: The Game will debut on May 26 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC as a digital game priced at $40.

At launch, only multiplayer will be available. The 1v7 asymmetric multiplayer game sees seven camp counselors trying to survive against one person playing as the masked killer Jason Voorhees. There are three maps, including Camp Crystal Lake, Higgins Haven, and Packanack Lodge.

Friday the 13th: The Game's single-player mode will be added as a free update this summer.

Hopefully they'll release it later on as a physical copy with single player out of the box.

LivingDeadGuy
24-Apr-2017, 01:44 AM
I never liked the movies so I doubt I will like the game. The slasher genre is like the walmart brand of horror genres it's all about quantity over quality.

Neil
24-Apr-2017, 07:46 AM
... it's all about quantity over quality.

LOL! And somehow, even though the girl has run in random direction for 5 minutes, somehow being just around the next corner, even though you just walk...

MinionZombie
24-Apr-2017, 09:49 AM
LOL! And somehow, even though the girl has run in random direction for 5 minutes, somehow being just around the next corner, even though you just walk...

Well, that was always part of Jason, and many killers in slasher movies - the ability to always catch you somehow. In that trailer you can see the game mechanic at work - kind of a teleport type of thing. Staying true to how the movies would often play out, weird as it can be sometimes. Jason never ran, so ... come to think of it, he did run in the remake, and he also had a series of tunnels beneath Camp Crystal Lake in that movie, too. So he was able to appear by surprise.

LivingDeadGuy
24-Apr-2017, 02:51 PM
The thing that always annoyed me with slasher movies was how easy it is to predict which characters are going to get slaughtered and which one will survive. "Is that a girl taking her top off? She's doomed!", "Is that a couple smoking weed and drinking beer? Off with their heads!", "Is that a black dude? Dead! Dead! Dead!" and of course the survivor is usually some nerdy virgin girl who eventually gets killed in a sequel like Alice in Friday the 13th, Nancy in A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Lauren in Halloween (who died TWICE actually).

MinionZombie
24-Apr-2017, 04:15 PM
Slasher flicks were never known for their intricate mysteries. :D Ironic, really, considering the slasher movie was birthed from the hyper violent and hyper sexual giallo movement in Italy, the heyday of which was the 1970s (started in the 60s, petered out during the 80s, has had a resurgence as 'neo-giallo' post-2000). Indeed, Friday the 13th Part 2 rips off a couple of murders from Mario Bava's "A Bay of Blood", which came out 10 years prior, and the giallo genre itself was birthed from murder mystery novels (e.g. Agatha Christie and the like).

Anyway, rambling cinema history lecture aside, slashers were all about the vices - sex, drugs, and violence - and had a clear formula. There were some pretty risible examples, but plenty of examples that are milestones in the horror genre, and many that did something different or had a profound influence on horror in general.

Not to everyone's tastes, though, which is fair enough. It's not a sub-genre that has seen too much ingenuity or originality, but I dig it regardless. :p

LivingDeadGuy
24-Apr-2017, 06:06 PM
The thing that always annoyed me with slasher movies was how easy it is to predict which characters are going to get slaughtered and which one will survive. "Is that a girl taking her top off? She's doomed!", "Is that a couple smoking weed and drinking beer? Off with their heads!", "Is that a black dude? Dead! Dead! Dead!" and of course the survivor is usually some nerdy virgin girl who eventually gets killed in a sequel like Alice in Friday the 13th, Nancy in A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Lauren in Halloween (who died TWICE actually).

Well I have to admit I like watching it parodied in "Scary Movie" by The Wayans Brothers. They made fun of everything I hate about the genre. :D

ProfessorChaos
16-Apr-2018, 03:07 AM
i saw that the psn was having a flash sale this weekend and was so ready to pull the trigger on this...but alas, they had nearly every scary game other than friday the 13th on sale. wtf.

so we watched the original instead, and i decided to pick up the blu ray set of the first 8 films from amazon for like 26 bucks (hell of a deal).

i then got online and did some browsing on reddit, seems this game hasn't had any updates for a while and some players were saying they don't even recommend purchasing it atm given how few people are still playing it and how little support it's received from its developers lately.

anyone on here still play this? did they every come up with any viable single player mode?

MinionZombie
16-Apr-2018, 11:40 AM
did they every come up with any viable single player mode?

Aye, I wanna know this too - I remember hearing about plans for a SP mode, but I figure nothing has happened.

The irony is that the developers not bothering to improve the game makes people turn away from it, and in true Catch 22 form less players makes the devs not want to bother updating it. :rolleyes:

Such a waste.

bassman
18-Apr-2018, 06:22 PM

That’s what made Scream so great when it was released. It was the first movie to directly point these things out. Heck, there was a character who’s sole purpose was to spit dialogue almost verbatim to your post. Jamie-something was the actor, but it’s been so long I’ve forgotten.

It’s only in recent years that I’ve come around to being able to enjoy the Friday series for what it is but I really only give them a spin in the Halloween season. Can’t say this game necessarily gets me excited, but with good reviews and a decent price I’d be open to it.

slickwilly13
03-May-2018, 01:15 AM
I still play it, but no further updates, yet. But one is coming soon, apparently.

MinionZombie
03-May-2018, 09:52 AM
I love the idea of choosing the settings and which version of Jason you wanna be, the Manfredini music coming in, the kills (devised by Hodder and Savini) and all that ... so it's a damn shame it seems to have been lumbered with a buggy-as-fudge game with janky (and seemingly quite repetitive) mechanics (i.e. searching every damn drawer and cupboard in every damn cabin for the things you need to escape).

You know what would have been cool? A single player game with an open world element - so you could almost 'play a movie' and have things to do along the way in the daytime and early evening depending on who you are (e.g. try to get laid, pull off a prank, etc) ... and then the night falls and the killing starts.

slickwilly13
03-May-2018, 01:46 PM
They are going to add another single player mode to allows us to play as the councilors. The A.I. will be improved, too.

MinionZombie
03-May-2018, 04:30 PM
They are going to add another single player mode to allows us to play as the councilors. The A.I. will be improved, too.

So there already is single player in the game? I thought that hadn't been added yet? :confused:

slickwilly13
03-May-2018, 05:50 PM
You play as Jason only in single player. Which is great for practice, but the A.I. is dumb. I currently have the game on Xbox1.

slickwilly13
11-May-2018, 01:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ZV1BGQLXM

slickwilly13
11-Jun-2018, 06:38 PM
Bad news.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3503558/legal-claim-brings-indefinite-end-new-friday-13th-game-content/

MinionZombie
12-Jun-2018, 10:05 AM
I wonder why this lawsuit has only come around now, why not in the 1980s when the franchise was at its height?

So this'll be part of the reason why we've not had a movie since 2009, or is the reason now why we don't have a new one coming. Hopefully this all gets sorted soon, but being that it's lawyers and movie money and such, I doubt it. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
06-Apr-2019, 04:25 PM
FYI, for today (Saturday 6th April) and tomorrow (Sunday 7th April), the game is on sale: 75% off at £3.99 on the Xbox Store. Not sure if it's worldwide or just UK/selected territories, but have a looksee for yourselves. It's part of an "un-Halloween" sale or whatever they called it. Saw it on my Xbox home screen when I went on to play some Forza this afternoon.

I saw on the game's website that it got an update a while back which included an "offline bots" mode, so I bought it to try it out for that (I don't have Xbox Live). I've only just got the game downloaded, so haven't even started it yet, but just figured I'd give folks a heads up while it's still on sale this weekend. :)

MinionZombie
09-Apr-2019, 04:13 PM
Okay, so I've been playing the offline content for a few days now and it's good fun for hardcore Friday the 13th fans such as myself.

In addition to "offline bots" (they sure do like to jump through windows!!! :lol: ) there is a "challenges" mode, which is more like mini single player scenarios that kind of recreate portions of the movies (albeit with some different characters). You have to get at least 2 out of 3 skulls to get the next challenge level (there are 10 in total), with the skulls representing 1) kill everyone, 2) don't get caught, and 3) skill points. I've done half of them so far, although one was very frustrating to get that second skull to move on (you have to get 2 out 3 in a single round, too!)

However, it's fun to play this grab bag of scenes from the movie in a rough kind of way (e.g. the lovers in bed kill from #2, or the spear gun kill from #3), although it does show that you could make an awesome Hitman-style single player Friday the 13th game ... if only!

ProfessorChaos
10-Apr-2019, 02:28 AM
thanks for the perspective from a single-player point of view. when this first launched it only had mp mode and i just can't be bothered with playing online games and dealing with all the associated baggage these days.

i see that this is still priced at 20 bucks on psn, which is half off from what the price was at launch, so i may check it out. it was free for ps plus members in october, but i had let my membership lapse at the time and missed out. as far as i know, it's never gone on sale or been less than the current price. with so many games in my backlog and so little time to really get balls-deep in a good game lately unless it's something really up my alley (like resident evil 2), i may hold out for a bit longer to see if it ever goes on a flash sale or something.

a quick question, MZ, if you can answer it: is there any offline mode that allows you to play as the counselors, or is it strictly a jason voorhees murder simulator?

MinionZombie
10-Apr-2019, 10:08 AM
thanks for the perspective from a single-player point of view. when this first launched it only had mp mode and i just can't be bothered with playing online games and dealing with all the associated baggage these days.

a quick question, MZ, if you can answer it: is there any offline mode that allows you to play as the counselors, or is it strictly a jason voorhees murder simulator?

1) Yeah, multiplayer is of no interest to me either. I briefly played a bit of the online mode in Forza Horizon 4 a while back when they accidentally unlocked that mode for everyone regardless of XBL membership or not, so there was a little bit of fun to be had that I did enjoy with the hourly challenges that you'd do with other players to gain Forza points ... but then they fixed the error and that was that. Otherwise, yeah, multiplayer ... ugh ... playing against friends in the same room on the same console? Yeah, that's fun, but not against strangers online who are likely better at the game than you and just wanna fuck your play session up.

2) Nope, you can only play as Jason in the offline modes. I think it's something to do with coding for some reason or other. It would be nice to have just to mix things up a little bit, however for £3.99 it was a bargain. And the annoying thing is playing the challenge mode doesn't rank you up. You do gain XP, which is vital for unlocking new kills, but your actual rank only increases by playing the offline bots mode (and that allows you to unlock the other Jasons as you only start off with #3 and #5 Jasons with alternate skins (e.g. #3 has the NES purple Jason)).

Not sure what the status of the recent lawsuit is (that kinda halted progress on the game), but more single player content would be most welcome. As I say, a Hitman-style Friday the 13th game mode would be sweet.

I dip in and out of it to change things up from playing Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7 at the moment.

ProfessorChaos
10-Apr-2019, 09:56 PM
^

thanks for the info...doubt i'll get it unless it goes on sale or they add a little more single-player content.

bassman
10-May-2019, 05:24 PM
I don’t know much about this game, but I hear it’s the same company that will be releasing a game based on the Predator franchise:

ocP3VPsEGds

MinionZombie
11-May-2019, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I just saw that yesterday. Hopefully it won't get caught up in a lawsuit and battered from pillar to post by bugs and glitches.

I am a big fan of the F13th game (albeit just the single player content, I've never played the online stuff), but bloody hell did that lawsuit completely fuck it up in regards to content updates. Speaking of updates, they released a patch for it yesterday - 9.03gb!!! Basically the entirety of the game data, and it's just a few tweaks and fiddles and fixes - such as a "roof exploit" in multiplayer, which they claimed was fixed, but which the players immediately found wasn't fixed at all. Talk about a shoddy update, not to mention utterly inefficient. I'd hoped it might be some new content (e.g. maps) now that the lawsuit has gone through its initial phase (although I'd be stunned if Cunningham didn't challenge the judge's ruling), but nope, just some half-assed fixes that seem to have not really had much of an affect on players.

One thing they could certainly fix is the sheer grinding slog to level up. Since hitting level 20 (and unlocked Part 8 Jason) the game is a huge grind to level up. WTF is that all about? Christ, you can't even get to unlock Part 4 Jason until level 44, and just to choose your weapon is level 113!!! :rolleyes: