Thank you, George. A true legend.

Sad day.

http://i.imgur.com/c1104cB.jpg

LivingDeadGuy
16-Jul-2017, 09:49 PM
Oh no... This makes me very sad! :(

Kaos
16-Jul-2017, 09:56 PM
Terrible news. George was the genius who created our beloved sub-genre of horror. His mark on cinema will never be forgotten.

slickwilly13
16-Jul-2017, 09:59 PM
I just read about about it minutes ago. For some reason, I expected the news this year.

Cykotic
16-Jul-2017, 10:03 PM
My wife just told me and I burst into tears. After being away from here for a long time, I felt like I needed to come back.

bassman
16-Jul-2017, 10:20 PM
Heartbreaking. Needless to say, he changed all of our lives here...

Philly_SWAT
16-Jul-2017, 10:37 PM
Two legends...one now is gone...R.I.P George.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l150/Philly_SWAT/Celebrities/00400013.jpg

clanglee
16-Jul-2017, 10:43 PM
Damn damn damn. This man was all of our favorite uncle basically. Had to come back here and commiserate with you guys. I share your sadness at this news

sandrock74
16-Jul-2017, 11:24 PM
This is sad news. RIP, George :(

carpetbeggar
16-Jul-2017, 11:42 PM
What a drag....Rest In Peace George.

snowwarrior
16-Jul-2017, 11:52 PM
This is devastating news. If there's a public service I will attend. I was priveledged to meet George twice. A wonderful man and a genius.
RIP Mr. Romero.

DevilDog
17-Jul-2017, 12:06 AM
Thank f**k we won't get another Land or Survival.

ProfessorChaos
17-Jul-2017, 12:20 AM
man, talk about a punch in the gut. just read the headline about five minutes ago and i'm still processing it. the wife and i recently decided to make a trip to evans city and moroeville next fall, gonna be driving halfway across the country to visit a region i have no relation to other than having watched the films of this man. i'm grateful i got the chance to meet him in person once, it is a highlight in my life for my inner nerd.

JonOfTheShred
17-Jul-2017, 01:08 AM
I haven't posted here in a while, regularly in years, but had to log in. Really sad to hear Romero passed. RIP

Dropper
17-Jul-2017, 01:22 AM
Same exact thing happened to me on all counts. This is beyond bad news.

stray
17-Jul-2017, 02:42 AM
RIP, George A. Romero. Your life influenced ours. Well done.

-stray-

Trin
17-Jul-2017, 02:49 AM
Sad news. The man's contribution to my imagination and enjoyment is boundless!

Harleydude666
17-Jul-2017, 03:26 AM
Been a Romero fan since 1975 when I was a kid and my parents scared the living shit out of me. Great story how I became a Romero fan. Saddened by this news right now

EvilNed
17-Jul-2017, 04:50 AM
RIP George. He meant a lot to me.

phorbin
17-Jul-2017, 05:40 AM
Sad news. RIP

Burbank
17-Jul-2017, 05:57 AM
I haven't visited or posted on this site for years, but I read the news of Romero's passing and knew I had to come back here.

So sad.

Ryan
17-Jul-2017, 07:07 AM
not been here for a while and was a poster but more of a reader in the very early days of homepage of the dead. Feels like the right place to come after hearing the news. RIP George. Absolutely crushed.

Neil
17-Jul-2017, 07:29 AM
The guy has quite literally affected my whole life to some degree... Very sad :(

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/media/romero2.png

pavello
17-Jul-2017, 07:38 AM
I am very sorry. He was a very influential person to me. Imaginative and moral. Thank you Mr. Romero, I will pray for you and your family In this terrible moments.

shootemindehead
17-Jul-2017, 09:05 AM
Just heard this morning. Very sad.

Romero has been in my "cinematic" life since I was old enough to say his name, even if I wasn't old enough to look at his films. He's the man that got me interested in zombies and the director of a film that scared the absolute crap out of me. 'Day of the Dead' is still the finest example of the genre in movie terms and remarkably, still has the ability to creep me out, which is some feat these days and especially for a film that I've seen countless times.

While I wasn't in love with every movie he made, at least he made them on his own terms and there was always something of interest in every one of them, which, in and of itself is an achievement in a business that produces 90% shite every year.

Anyway, RIP George Romero.

Craig
17-Jul-2017, 09:50 AM
This is very sad... his films and the wider zombie 'genre' he helped create has been a big part of my life.

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2017, 10:13 AM
My first real discovery of Uncle George was twenty years ago in a magazine article about his work and I was instantly fascinated, and his films had a huge impact on me in my formative years. He's one of the key influences on me getting into filmmaking, he's one of my favourite filmmakers, and two of his flicks are in my all-time Top Ten.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted. Rest In Peace, Mr Romero, but long may your cinematic legacy live on!

:(

kidgloves
17-Jul-2017, 11:14 AM
Just, just........
I don't know, I dont have the words.

wayzim
17-Jul-2017, 12:22 PM
Just heard this morning. Very sad.

Romero has been in my "cinematic" life since I was old enough to say his name, even if I wasn't old enough to look at his films. He's the man that got me interested in zombies and the director of a film that scared the absolute crap out of me. 'Day of the Dead' is still the finest example of the genre in movie terms and remarkably, still has the ability to creep me out, which is some feat these days and especially for a film that I've seen countless times.

While I wasn't in love with every movie he made, at least he made them on his own terms and there was always something of interest in every one of them, which, in and of itself is an achievement in a business that produces 90% shite every year.

Anyway, RIP George Romero.

Well said, dude. He was one of two idols whom I was so honored to have met; the other being Ray Harryhausen. George seemed always to have an eager interest in what fans had to say. And I'll be eager to see what tributes will be given the Man in his passing; though honestly the greatest was the creation of this site, and all the unique souls who visited HPOTD over the years. Peace out all. :)

Cartma7546
17-Jul-2017, 12:46 PM
Havnt posted on the site since i was in my teens, maybe it was memory or instinct but this was an important place in my life. I felt the need to come back and pay my respects to him and you guys who let me share my love of his work, even on a dial up connection back then.

JDP
17-Jul-2017, 01:58 PM
The man who reinvented the zombie genre and forever changed it. Zombie movies are divided into "BR" (Before Romero) and "AR" (After Romero). His more recent efforts in the genre left a lot to be desired, though. Unfortunately, he won't have a chance to try to make one last great film on the subject. But even if he had only made Night of the Living Dead, the most important zombie flick ever made (it totally changed the genre), that would be enough to cement his place in horror movie history.

Moon Knight
17-Jul-2017, 03:47 PM
Dawn of the Dead will always be my favorite, but I will also always cherish gems like Martin, Knightriders, and Creepshow. I even have love for The Crazies and all it's cheesy antics. Grateful for all he gave us.

sirjacktorrance
17-Jul-2017, 04:19 PM
Hi guys, it's been a long time since i wrote something here. i spend so much hours ten years ago in here . Now i can't believe George is gone. a big piece of mi life and hear has gone forever. Rest in peace George, so long.

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2017, 05:44 PM
I put a few more thoughts together on his passing and things I loved about the man and his work...

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/george-romero-1940-2017-rest-in-peace.html

It's great to see so many warm tributes all over the web today, (and to see old faces return to the forum to pay respects to Romero), though, and the vocal recognition of how important he was to not only zombies but cinema, too.

MagicMoonMonkey
17-Jul-2017, 06:09 PM
Simply gutted.
Bye George.

facestabber
17-Jul-2017, 06:24 PM
His creation will always be a part of what defines me as a horror fan. Dating back to watching Dawn at a drive in and being absolutely terrified to get out of the car. To the existence of the epic The Walking Dead, born from George's vision. George Romero has made his mark and it's a mark that will echo through the ages.

darth los
17-Jul-2017, 06:32 PM
Damn damn damn. This man was all of our favorite uncle basically. Had to come back here and commiserate with you guys. I share your sadness at this news

Same here clang. Haven't been on these forums in a couple of years but I felt compelled to come back and say a goodbye to the man who made me fall in love with the genre. I do have some thoughts on some thoughts on his career but this is not the thread for that.

It's also good to see a few old heads up in here. Sup guys.

R.I.P. GAR- The godfather of the genre.

:cool:

LivingDeadGuy
17-Jul-2017, 06:34 PM
George's newer films like Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead may have left a lot to be desirbed but at least he will always be remembered for his classics like Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead. It's really a shame that Day of the Dead didn't get the praise it deserved when i5 first came out.

And honestly if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have had a lot of other great movies and games about zonbies like Lucio Fulci's Zombi or Resident Evil.

blind2d
17-Jul-2017, 09:19 PM
I haven't been here in a while, and it's really great to see all these faces I remember from days gone by. RIP, Mr. Romero. His work meant so much to me, and still does. I just tried watching Diary on DVD a few nights back, but it was scratched and wouldn't play the very last couple of scenes. Omen? Anyway, I hope we can all continue to appreciate the work he's had a hand in, and build on it in whatever way we can. It's what I think George would have wanted.

rightwing401
17-Jul-2017, 10:31 PM
Just heard the news, so sad.

He was the godfather of the living dead, and his first three films will always remain timeless gems to me. I only wish I could have met the man one time in person to tell him what an inspiration his work has been for me.

I'm going to have to Bing watch his series in honor of his memory.

Rancid Carcass
17-Jul-2017, 11:00 PM
Like many others, it's been a while and I guess this was the only place to come and pay my respects.

We've lost many great talents over the last few years, but I think it's safe to say that this is the one that hurts the most. So thank you George for enriching our lives and soiling our trousers!

The dead walk no more, but your legacy walks forever...

Rest In Peace.

RickGrimes
17-Jul-2017, 11:14 PM
My first introduction to Romero was when I was 15 and a friend invited me to watch Dawn of the Dead. We were kind of mallrats and the idea of a horror movie with people evading zombies by holding out in a mall was, at the time, the greatest thing I'd ever heard of. It was the most violent adult thing I had ever seen at that point. I have tried numerous times to explain to non-romero/non-horror fans what that moment meant to me but have usually failed miserably. I think that a lot of you will get what I mean when I say that I was traumatized in the very best possible way. I was obsessed. I sought out all of his dead films and watched them religiously. My parents would never have approved of movies like them so I would stay up late and watch them at 2 or 3 in the morning in the dark with headphones on (kind of a tough feat in the 90s). It felt like I was doing something terribly wrong by watching them and that couldn't have felt more right for the rebellious kid I was. I grew up with his movies and watched them countless times over the years. I've always found something new and interesting that I had never noticed before. I haven't enjoyed his newer films quite as much but as has been said before I do love that he always worked on his own terms. I knew George couldn't live forever. I knew this day would come and I knew I wouldn't be ready. So here you go again George, you've gone ahead and traumatized me again. Thanks for helping shape me into who I am today. I hope you're in a better place and I hope you know how much you meant to all of us.

SBEADER
18-Jul-2017, 03:09 AM
Rest In Peace old friend.....

vickmann
18-Jul-2017, 09:18 PM
Goodbye genius of darkness, I will see you in hell someday ;)

tuijakervinen
19-Jul-2017, 07:42 AM
Have a great journey, old friend.
I made a little poem for you.

https://mrsdallowayscoffeebreak.blogspot.fi/2017/07/poem-for-george.html?showComment=1500448389322#c19101339071 59094052

hydro
19-Jul-2017, 07:58 AM
Been a long time since I was here but wanted to say a few words about the great man. I recall we were gearing up for the Letchworth Broadway Cinema premiere of Zombie Diaries in 2006 and heard that Diary of the Dead was shortly going into production. The exact same premise as our movie! I remember during production in 2005 thinking it was only a matter of time before someone else also came up with the idea of mixing zombies and Blair Witch in a feature film, but it was the Godfather of the zombie film who did!

Not only did George inspire us to make the film in the first place with Night of the Living Dead, but the stars were somehow aligned that we were able to secure a big release in the US when Dimension Films bought the rights to both Diary of the Dead and Zombie Diaries. For all those things, we owe George a lot!

Thankfully the reviews for the most part were kind to our film and it was able to stand on its own two feet. It was great to be at the Sitges Film Festival in 2007 when both our films played. George had read about our film and I remember just being stoked that he knew we existed! Watched Martin again yesterday with the commentary track on. Felt like listening to an old friend, such was his down to earth and laid back personality.

RIP George A. Romero. You have one hell of a legacy.

-KG

snowwarrior
20-Jul-2017, 03:48 PM
A public memorial for George will be held on Monday in Toronto.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/george-romero-memorial-toronto-1.4211916

Thorn
20-Jul-2017, 04:46 PM
A public memorial for George will be held on Monday in Toronto.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/george-romero-memorial-toronto-1.4211916

Thank You.

nectarsis
21-Jul-2017, 02:43 AM
Still reeling (plus now Chester Bennington).....been a rough week. I will be watching Night in memorium this weekend. A theater about 1.5 hours away is doing a Night showing next Thursday I'm hoping to make it to.

Skold
22-Jul-2017, 05:38 AM
Well, ugh.

i haven't posted here in quite a few years, but this was (is!) my place to get GAR news.

Remember when Land of the Dead was coming out!?! Holy shit that was unbelievable! We never thought he'd come back!

Just watched Martin, in some way as a supposed tribute to this genius. The shots, the framing, the dialogue, and the fact that it was all made on his dime in PIT.

GAR shaped my life. Treat everyone with respect and courtesy. We can only lose if we fight each other. i can't count how many times i have used his allegory's (sp?) in meetings.

And i will continue to do so.

RIP GAR. :/

Doc
24-Jul-2017, 08:05 AM
So sad. I remember being a kid being obsessed with zombies and looking up everything I could on them online. I eventually stumbled upon an article mentioning Night of the Living Dead which prompted me to look it and up watch it.

I'm glad, I did! I'm not as a big as a Dead Series fan as I was years ago, but I won't ever forget how at how wowed I was watching the original trilogy. I don't think, I've even seen any zombie films back then or today that come close to them....not even close.

May George have eternal rest!

Neil
26-Jul-2017, 06:31 PM
Romero (briefly) covered on the Walking Dead panel at ComicCon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WwXf8HePRE&t=13m35s

- - - Updated - - -

A track dedicated to George...

https://fmriz.bandcamp.com/album/romero

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a4206149565_16.jpg

Neil
29-Jul-2017, 10:14 AM
Lee Karr comments on Romero's passing - http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/romero.html

thxleo
29-Jul-2017, 07:02 PM
Lee Karr comments on Romero's passing - http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/romero.html

Thank you again, Neil.

twistbud
06-Aug-2017, 01:31 AM
I never got to meet the man, wait in line for an autograph, interview him or build a website dedicated to him.

There are many many great movies, award winning movies.

From me, George's flicks beat them all.

What a cool dude.

Hey George, WE GET IT MAN!

R.I.P

MikePizzoff
11-Aug-2017, 05:53 PM
Very bummed we didn't get to see many of the projects he had hopes for that never came to fruition. He will be greatly missed, but live on as a legend.

Glad I got to meet the man and talk to him a few times - especially happy I got to tell him that he changed my life in such a positive way, that now I'm doing what I only dreamed of when I was younger - hell, even when I first started posting on these boards. He changed many of our lives.

RIP George.

Mike70
17-Aug-2017, 12:06 AM
sad news doesn't begin to cover it. His worked entertained us for decades. Not much more to say really. Mike70, signing off for the last time.

Neil
17-Aug-2017, 09:32 AM
sad news doesn't begin to cover it. His worked entertained us for decades. Not much more to say really. Mike70, signing off for the last time.

:( :(

Neil
17-Sep-2017, 06:01 AM
On another site - nothing to do with Romero - I stumbled across another Romero fan. They did a little youtube tribute...

JNcocaWQeUs

Neil
11-Aug-2018, 07:05 PM
Hard to think it's over a year ago now :(

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2018, 09:51 AM
Aye, it's sad ... a world without Romero is a curious thing, having grown up watching and admiring his films. However, at least we've still got his work and numerous appearances on-camera by the man to keep him alive so-to-speak.

bassman
12-Aug-2018, 01:19 PM
Indeed, it doesn’t seem like it’s been a year already....

It’s weird how someone you never met could have an impact on your life. I know many of us here had met Romero, but unfortunately I never had that chance. I wish I had because that’s always the one thing I want to get across while meeting someone that’s made an impact on me. No geeking out and stuff, but just an honest hand shake and let them know that in a some small way, their efforts had positive effects on my life and the direction it’s gone.

Basically a heartfelt “thank you”. That’s always been my go-to for the highly respected artists on my list, and I really wish I’d had the chance to say it to Romero, as he’s definitely at the tip top of my influential, life-changer artists list.

shootemindehead
12-Aug-2018, 01:30 PM
christ, that year went fast. :(

Moon Knight
12-Aug-2018, 02:06 PM
christ, that year went fast. :(

Indeed.

EvilNed
12-Aug-2018, 04:07 PM
I thought there would be a greater demand, or at least willing, to release some of his lesser known films on Bluray or dvd. We had the Arrow box set, but that was announced before his passing away. But I'm specifically thinking of Martin - a film I haven't seen. I hear great things about it and would like to get my hands on a restored copy.

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2018, 04:11 PM
I thought there would be a greater demand, or at least willing, to release some of his lesser known films on Bluray or dvd. We had the Arrow box set, but that was announced before his passing away. But I'm specifically thinking of Martin - a film I haven't seen. I hear great things about it and would like to get my hands on a restored copy.

Yeah, Martin's a great film, but I think it's down to who holds the rights to it wanting too much money - so a restoration is a dream at this point. Arrow had previously released it on DVD way back when (2004, I think), which is the copy I've got. It's a very modern vampire movie in many ways, and still shines today. It's rough around the edges, being a low budget indie, but that core Romero family era in his career is all present and correct, as is Romero's wonderful editing and coverage style. It's one of my favourite Romero movies.

shootemindehead
13-Aug-2018, 04:04 AM
'Martin' is one of those late night films you might have caught channel surfing on tele when you were younger. Not altogether successful and definitely overrated by some. But it's weird, fascinating and you'll watch til the end. Outside of Romero's dead films, it's his best offering.

beat_truck
13-Aug-2018, 02:38 PM
I have Martin on DVD, but it was never really one of my favorite movies. I like The Crazies better, even though it is pretty rough around the edges too.

JDP
13-Aug-2018, 03:36 PM
I have Martin on DVD, but it was never really one of my favorite movies. I like The Crazies better, even though it is pretty rough around the edges too.

The Crazies is cool, but I was a bit disappointed that Richard France didn't say "DUMMIES! DUMMIES! DUMMIES!" on this one :(

Moon Knight
15-Aug-2018, 09:21 PM
Knightriders is my favorite non zombie GAR flick. So underrated. There isn’t anything like it. Really shows how far ahead George was in his mindset about the underbelly of Hollywood and why George never wanted any part of it. Timeless.

Martin is very fascinating as well. Watch it with the commentary too.