PDA

View Full Version : George Romero's 1980 appearance on The Dick Cavett Show

JDP
22-Sep-2017, 12:50 PM
The Decades Network features all episodes of The Dick Cavett Show, and yesterday they played the two-part 1980 Halloween special, with guests Stephen King, Ira Levin, Peter Straub and... George Romero! This caught me by surprise. I had no idea about Romero's appearance in Cavett's show since it is not listed in Romero's IMDb page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001681/

For those who don't have the Decades Network or have never seen these episodes of Cavett's show before, both of them can be found here:

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/the-dick-cavett-show/horror-highlights-october-16-1980-stephen-king-george-romero-pt-1/5609d2d369702d0726882b00

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/the-dick-cavett-show/horror-highlights-october-17-1980-stephen-king-george-romero-pt-2/5609d77269702d0726232d00

Neil
22-Sep-2017, 01:01 PM
I get "the video is not available on this device"?

JDP
22-Sep-2017, 01:10 PM
I get "the video is not available on this device"?

Are you using Google Chrome or Internet Explorer? I could not get the episodes to run on Google Chrome, but they work just fine on Internet Explorer.

Neil
22-Sep-2017, 01:51 PM
Are you using Google Chrome or Internet Explorer? I could not get the episodes to run on Google Chrome, but they work just fine on Internet Explorer.

Firefox

JDP
22-Sep-2017, 02:09 PM
Firefox

Try Internet Explorer. I had no problem with that one.

shootemindehead
22-Sep-2017, 07:57 PM
It's a regional issue, not a browser one.

Neil can't view this cos he's in the UK.

I can't see it in Ireland either.

JDP
22-Sep-2017, 09:53 PM
It's a regional issue, not a browser one.

Neil can't view this cos he's in the UK.

I can't see it in Ireland either.

I take it you tried several browsers and none worked for you. Did you get the same error message as Neil?

- - - Updated - - -

The MeTV Network has also posted the two episodes on their web site:

https://www.metv.com/videos/the-dick-cavett-show/horror-highlights-october-16-1980-stephen-king-george-a-romero-part-1

https://www.metv.com/videos/the-dick-cavett-show/horror-highlights-october-17-1980-stephen-king-part-2

Here I can even see them with Google Chrome, no problem at all, unlike the ones posted at the ShoutFactory TV website, which for me only run on Internet Explorer. Can you guys overseas see them now?

shootemindehead
23-Sep-2017, 02:05 AM
Tried Firefox and Explorer and yes get the same message.

JDP
23-Sep-2017, 04:41 AM
Tried Firefox and Explorer and yes get the same message.

How about the MeTV links? Same problem or are you able to see those?

shootemindehead
23-Sep-2017, 11:59 AM
Yep same issue. The MeTV links are to the same Hulu videos. It's Hulu that has the ragional blocker on.

Not even the firefox anonymox add on can get around it unfortunately.

kidgloves
16-Jan-2018, 09:23 PM
Working YouTube link

Rk4bKL328Lg

JDP
17-Jan-2018, 07:36 AM
Cool, someone obviously downloaded the episodes from the ShoutFactory TV website and uploaded them on YouTube. Now people overseas will be able to see them too.

Note: if anyone has an account at IMDb, please update Romero's page. His appearance on Cavett's show is not listed there. Had it not been for the Decades Network showing all episodes of Cavett's show I would not have known about it either.

kidgloves
17-Jan-2018, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this JDP.

A MUST WATCH PEOPLE

Neil
17-Jan-2018, 08:20 PM
Working YouTube link

Rk4bKL328LgNot sure what's scarier. The fact they're smoking... Or King's & Romero's collars!

Thanks for the link!

shootemindehead
19-Jan-2018, 01:44 PM
Cheers for that link.

- - - Updated - - -

That Dick Cavett Show was great. Growing up in Ireland, we wouldn't have had a clue who Cavett was. But, I discovered him about 10 years ago on YouTube, while looking for interviews with Marlon Brando. He somehow managed to get a lot of "reclusive" people on his show. Perhaps it was his laconic style of interview that persuaded them? Or maybe they just ponied up the shillings in a big way. But, it was great stuff.

And they weren't puff pieces or plugging opportunities either, although a bit of that went on.

There's loads up on YouTube, so if you have an interest in film from the 60's, 70's and 80's, you should check them out.

JDP
20-Jan-2018, 04:59 AM
Cheers for that link.

- - - Updated - - -

That Dick Cavett Show was great. Growing up in Ireland, we wouldn't have had a clue who Cavett was. But, I discovered him about 10 years ago on YouTube, while looking for interviews with Marlon Brando. He somehow managed to get a lot of "reclusive" people on his show. Perhaps it was his laconic style of interview that persuaded them? Or maybe they just ponied up the shillings in a big way. But, it was great stuff.

And they weren't puff pieces or plugging opportunities either, although a bit of that went on.

There's loads up on YouTube, so if you have an interest in film from the 60's, 70's and 80's, you should check them out.

Yes, I enjoy it very much too. Fortunately, I have the Decades Network on my cable, these guys show ALL (minus one; see further below why) episodes of Cavett's show. He often had "unusual" guests that you would just not see in other talk shows, like Romero or Jimi Hendrix. Even Salvador Dali appeared on his show! (as expected from Dali's highly eccentric character, that was one of the oddest episodes of that show I have ever seen. Sometimes you can clearly read a "what the f... ?!?!" in Cavett's facial expressions as a result of Dali's often incoherent "answers" and actions.) There is only one episode of Cavett's show that not even the Decades Network is showing: the one where one of his guests ACTUALLY DIED ON STAGE! No one besides Cavett, the show's crew, the other guests and the live studio audience have seen that episode. For obvious reasons, it has never aired anywhere. It is the "Holy Grail" of that show's episodes. All fans are searching for it, but they never can find a copy anywhere.

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2018, 10:53 AM
Interesting to see how talk shows were done across the pond way back then. The smoking, the collars, the strangely bumbling introductions, hehe. An interesting little time capsule. Thanks for sharing. :)

There is only one episode of Cavett's show that not even the Decades Network is showing: the one where one of his guests ACTUALLY DIED ON STAGE! No one besides Cavett, the show's crew, the other guests and the live studio audience have seen that episode. For obvious reasons, it has never aired anywhere. It is the "Holy Grail" of that show's episodes. All fans are searching for it, but they never can find a copy anywhere.

Flippin' heck! :stunned:

Who was the guest?

JDP
21-Jan-2018, 01:13 PM
Interesting to see how talk shows were done across the pond way back then. The smoking, the collars, the strangely bumbling introductions, hehe. An interesting little time capsule. Thanks for sharing. :)

Flippin' heck! :stunned:

Who was the guest?

Ironically, it was the nutty health-guru Jerome Rodale, who minutes earlier had boasted on the show that he would live to be 100!:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/90612/dead-air-talk-show-guest-who-died-dick-cavetts-stage

Moon Knight
27-Jan-2018, 03:31 AM
Wow! What a time capsule! A fascinating era for sure compared to today's PC world. Gonna come back and finish this. Thanks!