PDA

View Full Version : Tarantino developing Star Trek 4

bassman
05-Dec-2017, 10:47 AM
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/j-j-abrams-sets-up-writers-room-to-hear-quentin-tarantino-s-star-trek-pitch-226

Earlier this year, Quentin Tarantino stated in an interview that he's a big Star Trek fan and that he'd be interested in developing a new story and possibly even directing. Apparently Abrams and the producers of the new "Kelvin Timeline" films heard about these statements and took them seriously, as a writers room has now been put together to develop Tarantino's ideas.

They had announced Trek 4 around the time "Beyond" was released, saying it would somehow involve Kirk meeting his father, played by Chris Hemsworth(Thor). No word of this is the same story Tarantino is developing or if it's something new all together.

This is definitely a strange pairing, but the possibilities are interesting. They say there's even the possibility of Tarantino directing, but I personally doubt that...

Neil
05-Dec-2017, 11:08 AM
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/j-j-abrams-sets-up-writers-room-to-hear-quentin-tarantino-s-star-trek-pitch-226

Earlier this year, Quentin Tarantino stated in an interview that he's a big Star Trek fan and that he'd be interested in developing a new story and possibly even directing. Apparently Abrams and the producers of the new "Kelvin Timeline" films heard about these statements and took them seriously, as a writers room has now been put together to develop Tarantino's ideas.

They had announced Trek 4 around the time "Beyond" was released, saying it would somehow involve Kirk meeting his father, played by Chris Hemsworth(Thor). No word of this is the same story Tarantino is developing or if it's something new all together.

This is definitely a strange pairing, but the possibilities are interesting. They say there's even the possibility of Tarantino directing, but I personally doubt that...

Meeting his father? Not another time loop/jump story line... PLEASE!!!!!

bassman
05-Dec-2017, 11:13 AM
Meeting his father? Not another time loop/jump story line... PLEASE!!!!!

I agree, we could definitely do without another time travel story, but I suppose they're just wanting to capitalize on Hemsworth's popularity at the moment.

Time travel has always been a big part of Trek, even the original series has about five episodes involving time travel, but I would prefer that they leave the time travel to the first film in this new rebooted series. It worked well IMO and should be left alone.

I think Tarantino's idea is something new, not involving their original idea of the Kirk's meeting each other.

Neil
05-Dec-2017, 06:07 PM
I think Tarantino's idea is something new, not involving their original idea of the Kirk's meeting each other.

Does it involved shooting every c**k sucking mother f*cking n*gger in the bridge?

bassman
05-Dec-2017, 06:36 PM
Klingon motha f*cka, do you speak it?!?

JDP
05-Dec-2017, 10:14 PM
Does it involved shooting every c**k sucking mother f*cking n*gger in the bridge?

LOL! It's what I was thinking he would do. Almost all the movies he makes are some variation on this general theme: foul-mouthed, low-life, and/or tough-hombre characters doing outrageous things and/or mindless acts of violence.

bassman
07-Dec-2017, 09:00 PM
Wow....So we were laughing about a Trek entry with Tarantino's signature violence and language, which is something I just flat out believed to be impossible. But.....Apparently that's exactly wat they're doing?!?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/quentin-tarantino-s-star-trek-film-will-be-rated-r-685-02

Tarantino's first requirement to be able to direct was that he could make it rated R. I'm at a loss for words...

EvilNed
08-Dec-2017, 08:09 AM
This is bizarro levels of weird.

MinionZombie
08-Dec-2017, 09:53 AM
Well this is curious ... especially when it's the fourth film in the current series where all previous have been PG-13. :confused:

He was working on a Manson movie apparently, although that too surprised me, as there's been a couple of those recently (i.e. what's the point in QT doing one as well?). This is an turn up for the books. We're so used to him doing his own stories.

A Tarantino Star Trek movie? Well that's ... unexpected. :stunned:

shootemindehead
08-Dec-2017, 11:59 AM
These reboot ST films have been absolute crap. But Tarantino doing one will be a new level.

Talk about two things that shouldn't meet.

Kaos
12-Dec-2017, 01:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQez3hlW4AIg4bN.jpg

I'm down.

bassman
26-Apr-2018, 02:50 PM
Paramount announced at cinemacon that there are currently TWO Trek films in development, Tarantino’s plus another. Presumably the initial fourth entry idea. So not only are they going with this bizarre R-rated Tarantino film, but they’re also producing another film for realesse around the same time?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/paramount-ceo-confirms-two-star-trek-films-are-in-the-works-318

I’m a Trek fan and enjoy the reboot films for what they are, but just looking at it from a business standpoint, it doesn’t make much sense. While Beyond received good reviews, it’s box office performance was a noticeable drop for the franchise. It certainly didn’t scream “you need to make TWO more of these” to Paramount...

EvilNed
26-Apr-2018, 03:13 PM
Paramount are tackling this from the wrong angle, though. These three latest Star Treks have been given budgets usually reserved for AAA+ films, like Marvel tentpoles and whatnot. It's just not that kind of franchise. Most likely, neither of these two upcoming films will have budgets in the 150+ range but rather something more fitting like 90m or something like that.

Oh and a Tarantino Star Trek is guaranteed to bring in bucks. It's just that whacky of an Idea.

bassman
26-Apr-2018, 03:17 PM
Dropping the budgets does make a lot of sense. It could even help with the quality of the film if they’re forced to be more creative with a smaller budget. Just look at Wrath of Khan, which is widely considered one of the greats, it was a huge budget drop from the first film.

Neil
26-Apr-2018, 04:36 PM
Dropping the budgets does make a lot of sense. It could even help with the quality of the film if they’re forced to be more creative with a smaller budget. Just look at Wrath of Khan, which is widely considered one of the greats, it was a huge budget drop from the first film.

True:-
Star Trek The Motion Picture: 35m$
Star Trek The Wrath of Khan: 11m$
Star Trek Search For Spock: 17m$

Khan and Search For Spock were a great pair of films IMHO! Love them!

bassman
26-Apr-2018, 10:29 PM
Search for Spock was the weakest of what they considered a trilogy with Wrath, Search, and Voyage Home. I enjoy every entry in the original films for various reasons, even Final Frontier has its moments, being the worst of all six films. I’ve always really loved Undiscovered Country, which doesn’t seem to get enough love, IMO.

Of the reboot films, the first was my favorite, followed by Beyond. I felt like they really got the character interactions perfect in Beyond. Regardless of the negative reactions the reboot films get, I feel like it’s hard to deny that the casting was damn near perfect. I can’t imagine anyone other than Karl Urban playing McCoy. He’s channeling DeForrest Kelly in near perfect ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Well....In the same day they’ve now also announced that SJ Clarkson is on board to direct Trek 4. This is the non-Tarantino film, but Paramount assured that film is still being written and very much in active development. Clarkson is apparently somewhat new to feature films but is an in-demand director of many TV series’, including Dexter, Orange is the New Black, Heroes, Jessica Jones, and The Defenders. To my knowledge, she might be the first female director for a Trek film?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/star-trek-4-moves-forward-as-paramount-taps-s-j-clarkson-to-direct-296

EvilNed
27-Apr-2018, 08:13 AM
Well....In the same day they’ve now also announced that SJ Clarkson is on board to direct Trek 4. This is the non-Tarantino film, but Paramount assured that film is still being written and very much in active development. Clarkson is apparently somewhat new to feature films but is an in-demand director of many TV series’, including Dexter, Orange is the New Black, Heroes, Jessica Jones, and The Defenders. To my knowledge, she might be the first female director for a Trek film?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/star-trek-4-moves-forward-as-paramount-taps-s-j-clarkson-to-direct-296

She'll be the first female director, yes.

In order of films;

Robert Wise, Nicholas Meyer, Leonard Nimoy x2, William Shatner, Nicholas Meyer, David Carson, Jonathan Frakes x2, Stuart Baird, JJ x2 and then Justin Lin.

Neil
27-Apr-2018, 08:34 AM
Search for Spock was the weakest of what they considered a trilogy with Wrath, Search, and Voyage Home. I enjoy every entry in the original films for various reasons, even Final Frontier has its moments, being the worst of all six films. I’ve always really loved Undiscovered Country, which doesn’t seem to get enough love, IMO.
Maybe so, but I still love it... Some great moments...

bassman
27-Apr-2018, 11:26 AM
Maybe so, but I still love it... Some great moments...

And who could forget Doc Brown as the Klingon Villain?? That alone ranks Search for Spock higher up on the list of the Trek films!

Neil
27-Apr-2018, 12:01 PM
And who could forget Doc Brown as the Klingon Villain?? That alone ranks Search for Spock higher up on the list of the Trek films!
It's got some great great moments...
0nZlXngXB64

w3s3qvQNuSk

EvilNed
27-Apr-2018, 12:45 PM
I think Search for Spock is pretty good. It's the first time we saw some proper modern and fleshed out Klingons. I think the story is interesting. If there's one criticism I'd like to make it's that I wish they'd shot on location rather than on a sound strage, because the set meant to convey the Genesis planet is really not that much better than what they had on the original show.

shootemindehead
29-Apr-2018, 01:25 AM
The worst thing about 'The Search for Spock', is that it brought back Spock, after 'The Wrath of Khan' brilliantly did away with him. Of course Star Trek wouldn't be Star Trek without its best character, but it's just too cheesy to not leave dead people dead.

I like all the films with the old crew. Never got that odd number is bad thing. They were all entertaining.

bassman
04-May-2018, 01:13 PM
The worst thing about 'The Search for Spock', is that it brought back Spock, after 'The Wrath of Khan' brilliantly did away with him. Of course Star Trek wouldn't be Star Trek without its best character, but it's just too cheesy to not leave dead people dead.

I like all the films with the old crew. Never got that odd number is bad thing. They were all entertaining.

It’s also funny how some of the crew say it was intended to be a permanent death, while others say he was always meant to return. They added the final shot of his casket on Genesis during reshoots, so I’m inclined to believe he was originally meant to be gone for good.

But then of course Nimoy had the greatest bargaining chip when it came to the third film, assuring he would get the director’s chair if they wanted Spock back.

EvilNed
04-May-2018, 01:27 PM
It’s also funny how some of the crew say it was intended to be a permanent death, while others say he was always meant to return. They added the final shot of his casket on Genesis during reshoots, so I’m inclined to believe he was originally meant to be gone for good.

But then of course Nimoy had the greatest bargaining chip when it came to the third film, assuring he would get the director’s chair if they wanted Spock back.

Nicholas Meyer (Writer and director of Khan) wanted and intended for the death to be permanent. Harve Bennett, the producer, did not.
The only reason Bennett agreed to the death in the first place was because it was the only way to get Nimoy onboard, who had had a bad experience with The Motion Picture and felt it was very inhuman (a sentiment shared by many).

But during Khan Nimoy got into it again and was positive in exploring Spock's eventual return once Bennett suggested it to him.
Meyer threw a fit. But I like Meyer, he seems efficient and determined. I like that.

bassman
04-May-2018, 02:34 PM
Indeed, I’d seen all of that in the various documentaries and such. But there’s also a little bit of a gray area to it as well because I believe Nimoy says in his book “I Am Spock” that he knew from the start that Spock was not truly dying and that it would give him leverage for the potential third film. He credits Spock’s “death” for his entire directorial career.

shootemindehead
06-May-2018, 04:59 PM

Yeh, I think Nimoy was done with Spock by that time. He had a bit of relative success with other pictures, like Kaufmann's 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' and felt that his career, sans Spock, was opening up, I reckon. When they said come back for III and you can direct it, he naturally jumped at the chance.

Who wouldn't?

JDP
07-May-2018, 01:06 AM
Yeh, I think Nimoy was done with Spock by that time. He had a bit of relative success with other pictures, like Kaufmann's 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'

His best non-Spock movie role. Dr. Kibner was one creepy mofo, even before he became an alien!

and felt that his career, sans Spock, was opening up, I reckon.

Besides his other movie roles, he had also been enjoying a fair degree of success by appearing in TV shows through the 70s, like Rod Serling's Night Gallery and Columbo, and was even the host & narrator of the popular and long-lived (6 seasons) paranormal/occult/mysteries/oddities TV show In Search Of.

bassman
15-Jul-2018, 09:23 PM
There are some rumors floating around that Danai Guriera(Walking Dead, Black Panther, Avengers 3 & 4) is close to signing on for a role in Clarkson’s sequel. It’s unclear whether she’ll be a villain, an Enterprise crew member, or possibly the ship’s new navigator due to Anton Yelchin’s(Chekov) unfortunate death after Beyond.

They also say that the projected start date for principal photography is in the beginning of 2019, which is later than I’d expected. After all the developments, I’d thought they would begin before the end of this year. Tarantino’s Trek production is expected to begin after that, and they’re saying it’s also another story with the Kelvin Timeline cast, rather than new characters.

As a big fan, I’m so excited to see both of these come to fruition!

EvilNed
15-Jul-2018, 10:10 PM
There are some rumors floating around that Danai Guriera(Walking Dead, Black Panther, Avengers 3 & 4) is close to signing on for a role in Clarkson’s sequel. It’s unclear whether she’ll be a villain, an Enterprise crew member, or possibly the ship’s new navigator due to Anton Yelchin’s(Chekov) unfortunate death after Beyond.

They also say that the projected start date for principal photography is in the beginning of 2019, which is later than I’d expected. After all the developments, I’d thought they would begin before the end of this year. Tarantino’s Trek production is expected to begin after that, and they’re saying it’s also another story with the Kelvin Timeline cast, rather than new characters.

As a big fan, I’m so excited to see both of these come to fruition!

Me too. I'm still totally bewildered regarding as to what the Tarantino-penned film will be about or how it will fit in with the others but I am at the same time super excited.

bassman
11-Aug-2018, 01:49 AM
Now the existence of these two new Trek films are in jeopardy, with the contract negotiations for both Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth breaking down and both parties walking away. Apparently in their steps to reduce production costs, they were offering their stars well below what they’d made previously, completely breaching the established contract with Pine. It makes sense to make these new films cheaper, but Paramount is stupid to not keep their word on the previous salaries they’d agreed to.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/pine-hemsworth-s-star-trek-4-future-in-doubt-as-talks-break-down-115

MinionZombie
11-Aug-2018, 10:36 AM
Now the existence of these two new Trek films are in jeopardy, with the contract negotiations for both Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth breaking down and both parties walking away. Apparently in their steps to reduce production costs, they were offering their stars well below what they’d made previously, completely breaching the established contract with Pine. It makes sense to make these new films cheaper, but Paramount is stupid to not keep their word on the previous salaries they’d agreed to.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/pine-hemsworth-s-star-trek-4-future-in-doubt-as-talks-break-down-115

Yep, if they've signed a contract then the studio should honour it. If the actor was looking to pull out against the agreement you'd be damn sure the studio would make sure there was hell to pay. How about cutting down the running time and removing some overblown action setpiece instead?

Agreed on trying to make some of these blockbusters cheaper, because they've got so friggin' overblown it's almost impossible to make a good profit on them, and because so much money is riding on them then innovation is rarely seen. Scale things back generally, but if the studio has signed a contract saying they'll pay their star a certain amount of cash, then they should honour it. If they don't, then Pine is justified in walking away. If a star bends to a studio's will when the star has the contractual right, then the studios will never learn and continue to run roughshod over the creatives.

Moon Knight
11-Aug-2018, 05:20 PM
These guys are making that Marvel/DC money now. Can’t expect them to take a lesser deal.

EvilNed
11-Aug-2018, 05:24 PM
These guys are making that Marvel/DC money now. Can’t expect them to take a lesser deal.

Hemsworth surely, but Pine?

He hasn't really starred in a lot of successes. The Star Trek films, barely any of them have been huge successes, and Wonder Woman. That's all I can think off.

As for their pay, I'm pretty sure the actors only signed on for a 3 picture deal. So any new deal would be from scratch. I don't think there is a standing deal as mentioned in the article, because you just can't tear those up.

bassman
31-Aug-2018, 05:43 PM
Trailer for Quintin Tarantino’s Star Trek:

v3Nv2R9Acec

:lol:

EvilNed
31-Aug-2018, 10:48 PM

v3Nv2R9Acec

That's FANTASTIC

bassman
02-May-2019, 11:50 AM
While doing some press for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Tarantino was asked about Trek and he gave a very positive response....

It’s a very big possibility. I haven’t been dealing with those guys for a while cause I’ve been making my movie. But we’ve talked about a story and a script. The script has been written and when I emerge my head like Punxsutawney Phil, post-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, we’ll pick up talking about it again.

Karl Urban was also recently asked about the supposed R-rating, to which he said people are taking it the wrong way:

You shouldn’t worry that it is going to be full of obscenity and stuff. He wants an R-rating to really make those beats of consequence land. If it’s not PG, if someone gets sucked out into space, which we have all seen before, we might see them get disemboweled first…It allows some some breadth…gives him some leeway to do that. To me, that was always one of the things I loved about what DeForest Kelley did. He would actually capture the horror of space. That look in his eyes of sheer terror always struck me when I was a kid.

I’m still not sure how I feel about it, but Urban’s references to McCoy’s fear of deep space certainly ring true and help alleviate some of the worry....

shootemindehead
03-May-2019, 06:03 PM

Suddenly, a Tarantino helmed Star Trek doesn't seem like an absolute disaster.