PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Release of Night

kidgloves
27-Feb-2018, 12:26 AM
Must own

http://m.bluray.highdefdigest.com/53549/nightofthelivingdeadcriterion.html

Edit....
Purchased. Will be here tomorrow evening.

EvilNed
27-Feb-2018, 07:28 AM
Mine is in the mail but don't expect it until Friday.
Can't wait to see it.

However the inclusion of the Night of Anubis workprint seems pointless. They just changed a few zombie shots for day-for-night equivalents. That's it.

Also considering picking this up;
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01LTHL0JC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H&psc=1

That way I'd have a definite version of both Night and Dawn that can stay with me until the day I die.

Adam the Dog
27-Feb-2018, 08:55 AM
Just got mine the other day and it is BEAUTIFUL. Some good extras as well. Best release of the film yet.

kidgloves
27-Feb-2018, 09:18 AM
Ned...
Lots of complaints of the encoding on the Argento cut and why have they got remake screenshots?

MinionZombie
27-Feb-2018, 10:57 AM
Still waiting for mine to be dispatched. My last order sat around for four days until I emailed (at which point they gave me free next day delivery) ... hopefully that farce doesn't repeat, but I wouldn't be surprised. Looking forward to seeing the restoration and extras. :)

beat_truck
27-Feb-2018, 02:46 PM
However the inclusion of the Night of Anubis workprint seems pointless. They just changed a few zombie shots for day-for-night equivalents. That's it.

Yes, and I'm still annoyed that we were told that there was going to be a version with 9 minutes or so of extra footage, and in the end it turned out to be total BS.:mad:

Neil
27-Feb-2018, 02:50 PM
What happened to the extra footage found set in the basement? Why isn't that starting to pop up as an extra on these re-releases?

Edit: Ninja'd by beat_truck!

beat_truck
27-Feb-2018, 03:12 PM
What happened to the extra footage found set in the basement? Why isn't that starting to pop up as an extra on these re-releases?

Edit: Ninja'd by beat_truck!

I was very interested after all the initial talk about it, then no word about it. So I Google searched everything I could find about it, and basically found "Oops, sorry, it never happened.":rolleyes:

Neil
27-Feb-2018, 03:26 PM
I was very interested after all the initial talk about it, then no word about it. So I Google searched everything I could find about it, and basically found "Oops, sorry, it never happened.":rolleyes:

So all of this thread was over a non-thing? - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=23353

beat_truck
27-Feb-2018, 03:35 PM
So all of this thread was over a non-thing? - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=23353

It sure seems to be, according to this http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3470524/night-anubis-expect-criterions-night-living-dead-workprint/ and other things I've read.

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2018, 09:45 AM
Watched the restoration last night - looks lovely - areas that were previous quite murky have been opened up for clearer viewing (without losing the darkness, if that makes sense?) and the audio track sounds much more distinct now. I'm assuming it's just a clean-up job on the audio and not a recreation as it didn't sound overtly different to me (i.e. not like the new mixes done for the likes of The Terminator or Jaws where you could clearly tell it sounded all wrong with silly new effects put in, ugh ... but fortunately Night still sounds like Night as far as I can tell, but now you just get to hear little bits that were previously hidden in the muddy audio track of old).

Gonna dig into the special features later on - looking forward to that. Lovely artwork on the box, too (although couldn't they have moved the Criterion "C" elsewhere so it's not slapped on top of the "N" from "Night"? ... and what kind of devil created that bizarre disc holder? Is this standard for Criterion? I don't tend to buy their releases as most of the stuff I'm interested in is put out by Arrow or 88 Films).

EvilNed
02-Mar-2018, 10:30 AM
Got it yesterday and had the exact same reaction to the disc holder.
Took me half a minute to figure out how to get the disc loose.

Anyway, looks great. I only watched the opening but yeah, looks fantastic.

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2018, 11:21 AM
Got it yesterday and had the exact same reaction to the disc holder.
Took me half a minute to figure out how to get the disc loose.

Anyway, looks great. I only watched the opening but yeah, looks fantastic.

It feels kind of fresh, doesn't it? You know, in a good way? Makes it feel even more relevant, still to this day 50 years on. :)

EvilNed
02-Mar-2018, 02:20 PM
It feels kind of fresh, doesn't it? You know, in a good way? Makes it feel even more relevant, still to this day 50 years on. :)

Yeah, I get why Criterion are a thing. Feels crisp. Luxurious, somehow. I don't think I'll ever need another version of NOTLD than this. This is it.

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2018, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I get why Criterion are a thing. Feels crisp. Luxurious, somehow. I don't think I'll ever need another version of NOTLD than this. This is it.

Ditto. Now I'd like supreme restorations of Dawn and Day with a boatload of new extras, and particularly with Dawn I'd like to see all versions of the edit restored to full HD glory. At the moment I've got my 4-disc Dawn and my Divimax Day discs as my 'ultimate' copies on DVD, although I believe the audio track for Day has a few oddities to it IIRC.

So nice to have a properly proper version of Night out there, too. My first copy of Night on DVD was bare bones and the music track was some dreadful new music that some chump had slapped on it for some bizarre reason. My second copy of Night on DVD was the UK tin edition that was released many moons ago now, and when I got it home I discovered that four minutes of zombie footage had been cut out! I returned that shit and got my money back. My third copy of Night on DVD was the R1 'Millennium Edition', which was my best copy - until now, anyway.

EvilNed
02-Mar-2018, 05:09 PM
Ned...
Lots of complaints of the encoding on the Argento cut and why have they got remake screenshots?

Going back to this, (The italian Dawn of the Dead 2, 4 or 6 disc set)
The remake screenshots are probably just a goof by Amazon.
And the codec used is perhaps subpar to what could have been but people seem very pleased with the overall picture.
However, only the Argento cut is 4k remastered. The other transfers are a few years old. Still HD of course, but probably not as impressive.

Moon Knight
03-Mar-2018, 06:55 PM
This is a must have.

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2018, 10:30 AM
I've been digging through the extras - some good stuff in there, including some stuff put together by the Autopsy of the Dead folks, as well as Every Frame A Painting (check out their YouTube channel - great vids there), and the 16mm dailies are really interesting as you get to see various takes of shots that they didn't use for whatever reason, or little goofs (e.g. squibs not going off - the cable dragging through the grass - or Kyra Schon is just sitting in an armchair in the background of one shot, assuming she was out-of-shot, but in the next take they've moved her elsewhere, hehe).

A nicely put together disc, too - I like that they have a little description of each extra feature (the only thing they're missing is a running time, which would be helpful) - even the commentaries have their own chapter headings so you can hop to specific points of interest. :)

shootemindehead
04-Mar-2018, 02:42 PM
(although couldn't they have moved the Criterion "C" elsewhere so it's not slapped on top of the "N" from "Night"? ... and what kind of devil created that bizarre disc holder? Is this standard for Criterion? I don't tend to buy their releases as most of the stuff I'm interested in is put out by Arrow or 88 Films).

Criterion stamp their C in the top left of every cover. They're consistent, if nothing else.

Most of their cases are the same as others, but my copy of '12 Angry Men' was like Fort Knox.

ProfessorChaos
16-Apr-2018, 02:56 AM
i got this on release day, but wanted to add my voice to the chorus:

for anyone still on the fence: this baby is worth every penny....and this is coming from someone who already owns 2 dvd releases and another (inferior) blu ray release.