View Full Version : Cargo (Netflix Film)

bassman
04-Jun-2018, 01:17 AM
Anyone seen this Australian zombie/virus film starring Martin Freeman? It’s actually not half bad for a Netflix film. Although at this point I think they’re purchasing distribution rights for films more than they used to, so it was likely produced through other means.

Anyway, it doesn’t reinvent the wheel or anything, but it’s good for an evening with a post apocalyptic film.

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2018, 09:33 AM
I saw the short film (from 2013, IIRC) and that was a crackin' little piece.

I've read, though, that the feature feels a bit padded out as a result of the jump from short to feature.

bassman
04-Jun-2018, 03:09 PM
I hadn’t heard of the YouTube short until I finished the film and made this thread. I’m going to have to go back to watch and compare now, but I imagine it hits the same beats that made the feature length play out, regarding what the father does to keep his kid safe...

Moon Knight
07-Jun-2018, 07:43 PM
Saw it last night. It's actually really sad in ways. I have a really soft spot for children in horror like this. I really liked the ending moments.

shootemindehead
07-Jun-2018, 08:13 PM
The wife saw it and said I should watch it. It'd be right up my street. I can't seem to get the time to sit down to anything these days though.

Another good Aussie end of the world pic is 'These Final Hours'. Check that out too, if you can.

Neil
07-Jun-2018, 08:26 PM
The wife saw it and said I should watch it. It'd be right up my street. I can't seem to get the time to sit down to anything these days though.

Another good Aussie end of the world pic is 'These Final Hours'. Check that out too, if you can.

So a bit like a re-vamp of On The Beach?

QaoF6byFQFU

EvilNed
09-Jun-2018, 07:51 AM

Not a very happy film.

shootemindehead
09-Jun-2018, 12:48 PM

There are some parallels I spose. But, it's much, much better.

kidgloves
31-Oct-2018, 11:31 PM
Enjoyed sort of. Ok viewing. The short film concept wasn't implemented very well though. Just a token bit at the end.

EvilNed
22-Sep-2019, 09:28 PM
Saw this earlier today.
An OK film. Parts of it were really good. The Father-Daughter angle was very touching and worked wonders to evoke emotion. Some scenes were really sad. Brilliant use of the "infected"-trope, having the father getting infected early on. Also some other scenes worked well, like the other family they encounter who are preparing for their own demise.

Other aspects of the film did not play as well. The token Hillbilly antagonist felt almost like an afterthought and did not really engage with me at all. I feel like a much better villain could have been explored.

I don't believe there was a single close-up of a zombie in the entire film, except maybe towards the veeeery end. That's kind of original for a zombie film.