PDA

View Full Version : Jon Bernthal (Shane) to return?

bassman
19-Jun-2018, 01:52 AM
THR is reporting that Jon Bernthal, who played Shane in the first two seasons, is set to return for the Ninth Season. No real details on his involvement, but with the strong rumor of Andrew Lincoln’s(Rick) exit from the series, perhaps it’s some type of substantial flashbacks before Rick dies? Interesting...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-jon-bernthal-return-season-9-1120984

Neil
19-Jun-2018, 08:07 AM
THR is reporting that Jon Bernthal, who played Shane in the first two seasons, is set to return for the Ninth Season. No real details on his involvement, but with the strong rumor of Andrew Lincoln’s(Rick) exit from the series, perhaps it’s some type of substantial flashbacks before Rick dies? Interesting...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-jon-bernthal-return-season-9-1120984
I thought you meant return for good, and couldn't work that out! But in flashbacks, that could be interesting!

MinionZombie
19-Jun-2018, 09:45 AM
I'd like to see Shane come back for some flashbacks ... but considering the shit show going on behind-the-scenes, my hype and enjoyment of TWD has been severely hampered. :(

bassman
19-Jun-2018, 11:16 AM
I’d like to see a little bit more of Shane and Rick’s friendship before the gunshot wound/zombies. The small scene Darabont had in his pilot was great for their relationship and characters. Rick feeling bad about his confusion on the relationship with Lori, and Shane talking about “every other pair of boobs on the planet turning off the light”. Perfectly setting up their characters and relationship.

So yeah, we’ve seen just about all the stuff post-shootout, so I’d like to see Rick thinking back on his life which would include Shane. If that’s the case, I could see them getting Lori back too.

facestabber
19-Jun-2018, 11:54 AM
I saw a photo of him with Lincoln and Reedus at Nick and Norms in "Woodbury". My favorite tv show in history is more than likely killing off my hero and I just don't care about its future. Too wounded.

bassman
19-Jun-2018, 11:59 AM
I saw a photo of him with Lincoln and Reedus at Nick and Norms in "Woodbury". My favorite tv show in history is more than likely killing off my hero and I just don't care about its future. Too wounded.

Nicotero and Reedus’ restaurant in Senoia(Woodbury), Nic and Norm’s is kinda cool. Good food and some TWD memorabilia, if anyone ever goes visiting the filming locations.

EvilNed
20-Jun-2018, 06:09 AM
People are still watching this?
I haven't seen anything past the mid-season break in Season 3.
I hated almost all of the characters. Does it get any better or at they all still unlikeable idiots?

MinionZombie
20-Jun-2018, 09:33 AM
People are still watching this?
I haven't seen anything past the mid-season break in Season 3.
I hated almost all of the characters. Does it get any better or at they all still unlikeable idiots?

Well I don't think you'd ever be satisfied by the show, so there's little point in you returning to it I'd imagine. :sneaky:

bassman
20-Jun-2018, 11:32 AM
It’s had good bits here and there throughout the eight seasons, but none of them have lived up to Darabont’s pilot episode. My interest has faded more and more over the years, but I did feel like the ending to Season Eight was a good “ending” for the show at a certain point. I won’t get into the reasons why because of spoilers, but it definitely felt like it should have been the series finale.

So when this new season airs, I’ll eventually watch them out of curiosity, but the show lost the majority of it’s “spark” a while back and if these new episodes don’t work, I’ll just go back to considering Season Eight as the end of the story.

beat_truck
20-Jun-2018, 04:33 PM
I feel mostly the same, except I thought that the Season 8 finale was a bit of a let down and a cop out. After all of the drawn out hype and build up, the "war" was over in just minutes.:rockbrow:

With all of the changes that are being made, I wish that they had just called that the end of the series. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I really don't see it being worth a shit from here on out. I've invested this much time already, so I keep watching 'till the end, though.

bassman
20-Jun-2018, 05:06 PM
I feel mostly the same, except I thought that the Season 8 finale was a bit of a let down and a cop out. After all of the drawn out hype and build up, the "war" was over in just minutes.:rockbrow:

I felt like it was a series finale not so much because of the ending of the war or where the characters ended up physically, but more because of the place Rick ends up in more of a mental sense, or his character arc. Without getting into spoilers, it was more of Rick’s journey and struggle coming to an end, being at peace, and realizing who it is that he really needs to be. That shot of Rick and young Carl walking up the dirt road could have worked as a perfect final shot for the series.

But of course....I say that Rick came to where he needs to be mentally, but we all know that will likely change with the first episode of Season Nine because of the way they’ve had his mental stability flip flop back and forth throughout the show’s run....

Moon Knight
21-Jun-2018, 01:25 AM
Yeah, my excitement level is super low that even if my favorite character is returning for an episode I just can't get excited. All the drama is killing me.

Large time skip and most the characters still look the same. That's pretty disappointing. *Looking at you Daryl*

I really hope they just write all new material and forget about following the comic. I really dislike everything past Alpha.

They should replicate the opening scene with Rick and Shane in the car like how the pilot opened. That would be cool for a sendoff for Rick.

Also, blame AMC for the bad All Out War; especially the small scale finale. Budget cut; cheap bastards.

MinionZombie
21-Jun-2018, 10:15 AM
If AMC wants to spend less on TWD ... how about they trim the episode count to 10 instead of 16? No room for filler, and you've got six fewer episodes to shell out for.

However, AMC have made so many behind the scenes mistakes with the show, or put it through the wringer so much, that it's too late now. :(

Moon Knight
21-Jun-2018, 03:07 PM
If AMC wants to spend less on TWD ... how about they trim the episode count to 10 instead of 16? No room for filler, and you've got six fewer episodes to shell out for.

However, AMC have made so many behind the scenes mistakes with the show, or put it through the wringer so much, that it's too late now. :(

That would be perfect. But, thinking about it, season 2 was shorter and they still found a way to add filler. What I don’t get is we essentially used to get 8 episode arcs, how they seem to need filler for an 8 episode story is beyond me.

And that’s why 7 and 8 suffererd so much. They didn’t follow that path and we basically had a story that ran 32 episodes. That’s how you lose viewers.

MinionZombie
21-Jun-2018, 04:36 PM
That would be perfect. But, thinking about it, season 2 was shorter and they still found a way to add filler. What I don’t get is we essentially used to get 8 episode arcs, how they seem to need filler for an 8 episode story is beyond me.

And that’s why 7 and 8 suffererd so much. They didn’t follow that path and we basically had a story that ran 32 episodes. That’s how you lose viewers.

Ah, but Season 2 was an increase in episodes over the mere six episodes of Season 1. So they were having to more than double their output (with the added pressure of 2x01 actually being two episodes worth cut together, IIRC). As such, the first half of season 2 suffered from filler, but the back half felt much steadier on its feet. Season 3 saw the smaller jump up to 16 episodes per season (two doses of eight) that we continue to have to this day. Even then it was, objectively, a bit much. 12 - or preferably 10 in one dose - would have been the smartest way to go.

I know what you mean, with season 7 and 8 we moved into a different structure somewhat. Season 6 had a clear line drawn about mid-way (although the epic invasion of Alexandria was split across the mid-season break), but even still, 6b had a clear path to follow in introducing The Hilltop and setting up The Saviours with the clear end point being the introduction of Negan.

The problems arose with Season 7's structure as well as storytelling style and pace for various reasons I've spoken of at length elsewhere. Season 8 improved certain faults, but then continued others while introducing new ones ... frankly, that death in Season 8 is proving to be a big mistake because of the behind the scenes ramifications. The fallout from it behind the camera is screwing things up in front of the camera. Angela Kang has unfortunately been handed a poisoned chalice, or an incredibly tough job. Gimple should have been moved aside prior to Season 8, Kang should have come on then, and you-know-who never should have been killed off.

Moon Knight
21-Jun-2018, 07:00 PM
I still believe Carl was killed because they already knew Lincoln was leaving. They didn't want to bump Carl to #1 on the call sheet therefore having to increase his pay. Plus, I believe they knew he couldn't carry the show. You see signs of this by having all of Rick and Negan's more intimate scenes from way further down the comic timeline just given to other characters during S8. Gabriel and Anne got all that material. Once Negan opened up to Gabriel I instantly knew something was wrong. I figured it was Negan leaving the show early, not Rick. Not to mention how they had Lincoln dress up as old man Rick with cane and all, to at least get that visual on screen for the fans. With Shane coming back it pretty much confirms Rick is gone too.

Don't want to ruin anything in case some peeps ever want to go back and watch.

Daoyinyang
19-Jun-2019, 10:38 AM
Darabont was awesome and the first season is all quality content. It's a well mid paced first season that never became that urgent again in seasons after. It was so slow in season 2 and it's gotten slower since then.

Also Jon Bernthal did come back. You see him in flashbacks. They have conversations that are reminiscent to the pilot episode. Shane being as frank (castle) as he always were and you get some closure with Rick's character arc. I'll be honest, I kind of forgot what else happened during his flash back.

Moon Knight
19-Jun-2019, 05:02 PM
Shit, I wish I could go back to season 2. Freakin’ loved that season.

facestabber
20-Jun-2019, 06:23 PM

It is my favorite season. It captured the atmosphere and mood of the ZA. Wish I could explain it better but I will say I FREAKIN loved it too Moon.

MinionZombie
21-Jun-2019, 09:48 AM
Season 2 is a good season, although the first half is chock full o'filler (it jumped from the 6 episodes of season one to 13 episodes in season two). The back-half got more of the parts working together and had some juicy moral meat to chew on with an awesome climax.

Ya'll are just nostalgic for when TWD was new, maybe?

Moon Knight
21-Jun-2019, 03:38 PM
Season 2 is a good season, although the first half is chock full o'filler (it jumped from the 6 episodes of season one to 13 episodes in season two). The back-half got more of the parts working together and had some juicy moral meat to chew on with an awesome climax.

Ya'll are just nostalgic for when TWD was new, maybe?

Nope. I always loved that season. Shane is still my favorite TWD character. His character journey was fascinating; Bernthal owner that role.

Facestabber said it best, it was just that whole doom and gloom vibe.

It’s not perfect- slow build up, minor filler, and clearly a lack in budget. However, that slow build up paid off huge in what is STILL my favorite episode to date- “Pretty Much Dead Already”.

Besides, there also wasn’t any filler episodes!

Loved the intimate feel of such a smaller cast of characters.

I still get hit in the fields as Shane stares out his passenger car window; just staring at himself via that now iconic walker as “Civilian” is playing in the background. It even blended into the credits; something they don’t do anymore. Perfect, baby. Just perfect.

EvilNed
23-Jun-2019, 10:27 AM

I really enjoyed season 1 and 2.

However by the time season 3 started I found myself not really liking the characters that were left. The conflict between characters like Dale and Shane was what made it interesting. Felt more grounded in reality than them facing off against a villain with an eye-patch and ninja with katanas.

Tricky
27-May-2020, 10:24 AM
Just as a random add to this thread I met Jon last year, he gave a talk and Q&A session at an event I went to in Manchester, then I met him afterwards and had a photo taken with him and Dolph Lundgren (both Punishers). Despite the characters he often plays he's a really nice guy. A Welsh girl in a wheelchair next to where we were stood asked him a question then asked him if she could have a "cwtch", he didn't know what it meant until the guy on stage with him explained it means "hug" in Welsh, at which point he immediately jumped down off the stage and came over to give her a massive hug. My girlfriend was looking at him dreamily for the rest of the day after that ha!

Moon Knight
27-May-2020, 02:46 PM
Just as a random add to this thread I met Jon last year, he gave a talk and Q&A session at an event I went to in Manchester, then I met him afterwards and had a photo taken with him and Dolph Lundgren (both Punishers). Despite the characters he often plays he's a really nice guy. A Welsh girl in a wheelchair next to where we were stood asked him a question then asked him if she could have a "cwtch", he didn't know what it meant until the guy on stage with him explained it means "hug" in Welsh, at which point he immediately jumped down off the stage and came over to give her a massive hug. My girlfriend was looking at him dreamily for the rest of the day after that ha!

Haha Jon def is one of the more approachable cast members I seen live. Still disappointed I never got the chance to meet him.

bassman
30-May-2020, 10:00 AM
I’ve heard lots of stories about Bernthal being a stand-up guy, always good to hear more! More famous people could take lessons from him!

Tricky
01-Jun-2020, 10:00 AM
Yeah I got the impression from him that while acting is his job and he's very grateful for the breaks he's been given, as soon as he walks off set at the end of his days work he's just back to being a normal guy. He was very humble about it and couldn't say enough kind words about the British army who he worked with on the set of Fury making sure they got the details right. I can't post the pic as the file is too big to upload on here!