PDA

View Full Version : Mezco Toys Dawn Of The Dead

bassman
01-Jul-2018, 05:20 PM
First quarter of 2019, Mezco Toys will be releasing a package featuring the Stephen/Flyboy and Airport/Plaid Zombies. They’re about 6-7 inches tall and feature some pretty good likenesses.

https://www.mezcotoyz.com/one-12-dawn-of-the-dead-boxed-set

Large photos:
http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/02/Mezco-2017-One12-Collective-Dawn-of-the-Dead-Plaid-Shirt-Zombie.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0807/4113/products/1_4db9d4f0-14ce-484d-9d5f-5ec85daea3eb_2048x2048.jpg?v=1515792163

I’m normally not a big fan of real fabric on figures and already own these characters from other companies, so I’m not sure if I’ll get them at the current price. Perhaps further down the road with a price drop.

shootemindehead
01-Jul-2018, 05:27 PM
They look pretty good.

The soft goods seem alright too. At that scale, they're best reserved for the likes of capes and whatnot. But Mezco seem to have done ok here.

Moon Knight
01-Jul-2018, 08:35 PM
Pretty badass. I agree about fabric though. Feels more like a doll.

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2018, 09:20 AM
Pretty badass. I agree about fabric though. Feels more like a doll.

https://spdk1.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/bbc-hyperdrive-dolls-meme.png

:D

Couldn't resist.

Not my thing, but they do look nifty, mind. :)

bassman
02-Jul-2018, 10:53 AM
They’re real, not dolls. :shifty:

https://media.giphy.com/media/12fzmPnaPJPT1e/giphy.gif

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2018, 04:16 PM
They’re real, not dolls. :shifty:

https://media.giphy.com/media/12fzmPnaPJPT1e/giphy.gif

I saw a doc recently, on Channel 4 of course, which was about those sorts of dolls - but robotic versions, or implementing robotic features - anyway, point being, I was stunned that any user of such a thing (to each their own) would actually appear on television discussing it. Albeit for broadcast in a different country, but still... :stunned:

bassman
03-Jul-2018, 07:45 PM
Indeed, I’m not judging them for doing whatever it is that makes them happy, but it IS surprising that they’d go on front of cameras to talk about it.

Ever seen “Lars and the Real Girl” with Ryan Gosling? It’s about a guy that forms a relationship with one of those lifesize dolls. It’s actually a really good movie, IIRC.

Anyway....as for Dawn figures. I have the old NECA Dawn collection, but does anyone know of any other releases? I think I’ve seen a couple from Japan or somewhere, but they weren’t my cup of tea.

ProfessorChaos
04-Jul-2018, 04:40 AM
i've already got the NECA set, and though these look cool, they aren't really worth the price in my opinion. i still need to get my hands on the bub and dr. tongue figures one of these days.

and i really wish someone would put out a couple worthwhile figures from night of the living dead. the ones that are available are a joke if you ask me.

bassman
04-Jul-2018, 11:27 AM
and i really wish someone would put out a couple worthwhile figures from night of the living dead. the ones that are available are a joke if you ask me.

It’s a model rather than completed figure, but I’ve always wanted this version, just haven’t seen it available anywhere. I’d have to paint it in a black and white color scheme, though.

https://i0.wp.com/www.nightofthelivingdead.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/nightmare_models_cemetery_zombie.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/www.nightofthelivingdead.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/nightmare_models_bill.jpg

But yeah, I’d love a good figure set. Being that the figures are usually of the zombie characters, what would be the next recognizable zombie from night? While we can name them all off, I’m not sure if there are any others that are recognizable enough for the production of a figure?..

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2018, 11:36 AM
But yeah, I’d love a good figure set. Being that the figures are usually of the zombie characters, what would be the next recognizable zombie from night? While we can name them all off, I’m not sure if there are any others that are recognizable enough for the production of a figure?..

The little girl zombie with the trowel raised up, eyes sunken in sweeps of undead darkness. Also, Johnny as a zombie clutching his way through an ajar door. Indeed, you could have two sweet arse model kits based around those scenes - with the mother cowering beneath the trowel in the former, and with Barbara trying to hold the door closed as one of Johnny's gloved hands grabs hold of her.

bassman
04-Jul-2018, 11:43 AM
The little girl zombie with the trowel raised up, eyes sunken in sweeps of undead darkness. Also, Johnny as a zombie clutching his way through an ajar door. Indeed, you could have two sweet arse model kits based around those scenes - with the mother cowering beneath the trowel in the former, and with Barbara trying to hold the door closed as one of Johnny's gloved hands grabs hold of her.

Ah, good call on Cooper’s daughter. I could definitely see a figure of her after she’s been used for posters and promotional materials. Not sure if Johnny would be recognizable enough to general audiences to warrant a figure, though?

If I had my way, we’d have a complete night set with all the characters, living and dead, with a complete diorama of the biggest portion of the house. With zombies on the outside of the diorama? Man, I’d pay good money for that!

blind2d
04-Jul-2018, 02:58 PM
These new dolls look amazing! Too bad I can't afford 'em... :(

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2018, 04:10 PM
I'd say Johnny was recognisable enough, especially as he often tends to end up in clips of Night in mainstream fare - either the "they're coming to get you Barbara" moment, or it's when the zombies break in and Johhny's there as a zombie - his hand with the familiar glove on it clutching the door frame. A very iconic moment, I'd say. One of the most iconic in the film.

JDP
04-Jul-2018, 05:20 PM
I'd say Johnny was recognisable enough, especially as he often tends to end up in clips of Night in mainstream fare - either the "they're coming to get you Barbara" moment, or it's when the zombies break in and Johhny's there as a zombie - his hand with the familiar glove on it clutching the door frame. A very iconic moment, I'd say. One of the most iconic in the film.

Also some of the zombies that feast on Tom & Judy's semi-roasted corpses. They have been used in promotional stills, clips & posters.

Moon Knight
04-Jul-2018, 10:58 PM
Coopers Daughter and Johnny would make amazing figures. I can see the exact frame with Johnny wearing the glove clearly in my head.

bassman
05-Jul-2018, 12:07 AM
It’s a highly memorable character to us, but unfortunately not popular enough for a figure. Yet, anyway. Maybe we’ll get lucky sometime in the future and see some more variety in these figure releases. I’d love to see the main four characters of Dawn, as well.

Moon Knight
05-Jul-2018, 03:13 PM
It’s a highly memorable character to us, but unfortunately not popular enough for a figure. Yet, anyway. Maybe we’ll get lucky sometime in the future and see some more variety in these figure releases. I’d love to see the main four characters of Dawn, as well.

That would be a must buy for me.

bassman
07-Jul-2018, 08:41 AM
i still need to get my hands on the bub and dr. tongue figures one of these days.

Amok Time is one of my favorite vendors and I had noticed recently that they still have both in stock for thirty bucks:

http://www.amoktime.com/monstarz-day-of-the-dead-dr-tongue-deluxe-action-figure.html

ProfessorChaos
07-Jul-2018, 02:47 PM
^

thanks for the heads-up, didn't realize they still had them available rom the manufacturer. i think the prices for them on amazon and ebay are about 5-10 bucks higher apiece.

i almost bought a dr tongue figure at the living dead museum in evans city, but saw there were still lots available online, so i opted for a piece of the penney's escalator from dawn of the dead instead.:D

bassman
07-Jul-2018, 04:15 PM
They have pieces of the escalator for sale?? I didn’t know that...

shootemindehead
07-Jul-2018, 04:29 PM
Amok Time is one of my favorite vendors and I had noticed recently that they still have both in stock for thirty bucks:

http://www.amoktime.com/monstarz-day-of-the-dead-dr-tongue-deluxe-action-figure.html

Are they action figures or statues?

bassman
07-Jul-2018, 04:40 PM
Are they action figures or statues?

Technically they’re figures, but as you can see in the pictures, Dr Tongue has limited points of articulation, so there are fewer lines in his body sculpt, giving it more of a statue appearance.

Bub has more points of articulation because he comes with accessories from the film like the Walkman, gun, bucket of guts, etc. So you can put his hand up to his mouth, make him aim, salute, etc.

But even though they are technically figures, the designers did a good job of only adding articulation where absolutely needed, so a majority of the two sculpts don’t have the separation joints, making them appear more as statues. Being that we only see Dr Tongue walk in the film, he virtually has no articulation joints. I’m between houses right now, so these are in storage, but IIRC Dr Tongue only moves at his shoulders.

ProfessorChaos
08-Jul-2018, 04:28 AM
They have pieces of the escalator for sale?? I didn’t know that...

nothing too impressive, but it was 20 bucks and it makes a great companion piece for my chunk of wood from the original chapel from night i purchased to help restore the chapel. they still have some available:

http://www.livingdeadmuseum.com/momaarpeespi.html

shootemindehead
08-Jul-2018, 01:31 PM
Technically they’re figures, but as you can see in the pictures, Dr Tongue has limited points of articulation, so there are fewer lines in his body sculpt, giving it more of a statue appearance.

Bub has more points of articulation because he comes with accessories from the film like the Walkman, gun, bucket of guts, etc. So you can put his hand up to his mouth, make him aim, salute, etc.

But even though they are technically figures, the designers did a good job of only adding articulation where absolutely needed, so a majority of the two sculpts don’t have the separation joints, making them appear more as statues. Being that we only see Dr Tongue walk in the film, he virtually has no articulation joints. I’m between houses right now, so these are in storage, but IIRC Dr Tongue only moves at his shoulders.

Right. So they're sort of semi articulate. Not like a Neca figure or Hasbro. Just some movement in some places?

They look interesting. But, I don't know about getting any. I have a couple of these toy things sitting on the shelf. The Xenomorph and some Stormtroopers and whatnot. But, I don't know about delving deeper into this toy rabbithole. LOL.

Moon Knight
09-Jul-2018, 04:37 PM
Right. So they're sort of semi articulate. Not like a Neca figure or Hasbro. Just some movement in some places?

They look interesting. But, I don't know about getting any. I have a couple of these toy things sitting on the shelf. The Xenomorph and some Stormtroopers and whatnot. But, I don't know about delving deeper into this toy rabbithole. LOL.

The rabbit hole runs deep haha.

bassman
23-Jan-2019, 08:42 PM
Certain vendors, such as Entertainment Earth, now have these in stock. Anyone picked them up?

YouTube review:

R_-X68Iy9HU