PDA

View Full Version : Child’s Play Remake

bassman
03-Jul-2018, 08:21 PM
Collider is reporting that a remake of Child’s Play is on the way, written by Tyler Burton Smith(Kung Fury) and directed by Lars Klevberg. No word if Brad Dourif will again voice Chucky, but it’s likely that they’ll go with someone new.

http://collider.com/childs-play-reboot-lars-klevberg-mgm-orion-it-producers/

Not long ago, series creator Don Mancini said he was developing a Chucky TV series, but apparently this new film is not connected with that. I personally enjoyed Mancini’s recent Curse and Cult of Chucky, so I’m a bit surprised they’re doing a remake without him. They were a bit cheesy, but were quite fun.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2018, 10:03 AM
Likewise surprised at a remake, considering the recent sequels (both of which were pretty darn good). Seems a bit strange, if you ask me. :confused:

bassman
04-Jul-2018, 11:35 AM
I’ve just now seen on another forum that apparently Mancini owns the character of Chucky, while MGM owns the rights to Child’s Play? So that could mean that this remake would feature the basic story of the original, but with something other than Chucky??

That could also help explain how Mancini is concurrently producing his TV show that continues the original series.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2018, 11:37 AM
I’ve just now seen on another forum that apparently Mancini owns the character of Chucky, while MGM owns the rights to Child’s Play? So that could mean that this remake would feature the basic story of the original, but with something other than Chucky??

That could also help explain how Mancini is concurrently producing his TV show that continues the original series.

That makes sense ... but Childs Play without Chucky? That doesn't make sense! :lol:

bassman
04-Jul-2018, 06:36 PM
It really doesn’t seem like a solid plan, if they’re indeed going that route. Perhaps they’re going with a different kind of doll possession or generic horror film and leaving the Charles Lee Ray/Chucky story for Mancini’s further use? After all, I’ve noticed that ever since the release of “Bride of Chucky”, most people have basically forgotten that the series began with the title of “Child’s Play”.

Nowadays everyone just calls them the Chucky films, so maybe their plan is to take the Child’s Play name and craft something new entirely? Not the best of plans to abandon the series’ most recognizable character, but they may have no choice because of the licensing rights.

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2018, 09:58 AM
Nowadays everyone just calls them the Chucky films, so maybe their plan is to take the Child’s Play name and craft something new entirely? Not the best of plans to abandon the series’ most recognizable character, but they may have no choice because of the licensing rights.

Yeah, it's weird, because the valuable part of that franchise isn't the title "Child's Play", no, the valuable part of that franchise is Chucky and the recurring characters (or indeed, voices - with Brad Dourif). In the most recent couple the kid from the original movie returned as an adult (the same actor as well IIRC).

bassman
06-Jul-2018, 02:15 PM
Bloody-disgusting got some confirmation on a few big things:

- Mancini not involved and refused executive producer credit
- No Brad Dourif
- Doll will indeed be named "Chucky"
- Doll comes to life through an A.I that malfunctions
- Mancini and Dourif are both committed to the TV series, as well as future sequels continuing the established franchise, and this remake doesn’t effect those at all.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3507990/childs-play-creators-moving-forward-tv-series-brad-dourif-amidst-reboot-announcement-exclusive/

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2018, 04:05 PM
Rogue A.I., eh? Hmmm... :rockbrow:

Still seems pretty pointless, to be honest.

beat_truck
06-Jul-2018, 05:36 PM
Rogue A.I., eh? Hmmm... :rockbrow:

Still seems pretty pointless, to be honest.

Just like 95% of the other remakes out there. This will probably be another watered down CGI shit fest.

bassman
22-Sep-2018, 07:27 AM
First look at the new Chicky:

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/childs-play-chucky-913.jpg

Looks similar enough, I suppose. I’m still much more interested in Mancini’s efforts.

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2018, 09:54 AM
Hmmmm ... I've never been a big fan of the Chucky films, although interested enough to watch them all and enjoy a fair few of them as well. Likewise, I'm more interested in Mancini's new entries in the series as it's all part of the original thread, as it were.

bassman
29-Jan-2019, 06:44 PM
While the remake has continued production and on it’s way, Don Mancini’s proposed TV series that will continue the story of the original films has been picked up by SyFy after a bidding war between multiple networks.

In talking about taking the franchise in a bold, new direction, Mancini remaked, “I’ve long wanted to bring Chucky to television and Syfy is the perfect network for us,” said the Chucky co-creator. “The show will be a fresh take on the franchise, allowing us to explore Chucky’s character with a depth that is uniquely afforded by the television series format, while staying true to the original vision that has terrorized audiences for over three decades now.”

As I believe I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’ve enjoyed Mancini’s last two Chucky films, Curse and Cult, so I’m excited to see what ideas they can explore in an episodic story. I’m much more interested in this continuation than the remake, that’s for sure.

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/syfy-lands-don-mancinis-fresh-take-on-a-chucky-tv-series

The article refers to the series having the simple title of Chucky, which would make sense, but could always change.

I wonder if Brad Dourif’s daughter, Fiona will be one of the main characters of the series? I really enjoyed her performance in the last two films, and if you’ve seen those, you know that it would make the most sense for her character to return at least in some way.

bassman
10-Feb-2019, 12:39 PM
Oh dear....

ZFy8ZgLd574

MinionZombie
10-Feb-2019, 04:11 PM
Yeah ... not really feeling this much. I'll probably give it a squizz at some point ... but ... meh.

JDP
10-Feb-2019, 05:55 PM
Yet another crappy and unnecessary "remake"... BIG ***YAWN!***

EvilNed
11-Feb-2019, 06:23 AM
I'm not to adverse to this. I like the first film a lot but never really watched any of the sequels. This feels as good as a direction as any.

- - - Updated - - -

Who voices Chucky?

bassman
11-Feb-2019, 05:27 PM
^ Still unknown, I believe. Definitely not Brad Dourif though.

EvilNed
11-Feb-2019, 05:44 PM
That's gonna be somewhat of a dealbreaker for me.

Skinrash
11-Feb-2019, 07:48 PM
Tired of remakes, doubt I'll watch this.

JDP
11-Feb-2019, 10:13 PM
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ Ditto. Most of them suck, and a great deal of them are also unnecessary (i.e. there's nothing really wrong with the original movie, so quite pointless to "remake" them.)

One very notable exception: the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. This one is in fact even better than the original black & white 50s classic sci-fi horror flick. A very rare instance of a remake surpassing the original.

bassman
11-Feb-2019, 11:41 PM
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ Ditto. Most of them suck, and a great deal of them are also unnecessary (i.e. there's nothing really wrong with the original movie, so quite pointless to "remake" them.)

One very notable exception: the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. This one is in fact even better than the original black & white 50s classic sci-fi horror flick. A very rare instance of a remake surpassing the original.

And then they pissed on it with the Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman remake...

Other notable exceptions: The Thing and The Fly. Cinematic gold. :thumbsup:

bassman
20-Feb-2019, 08:02 PM
Entertainment Weekly has posted an interesting article explaining why we now have two concurrent Child’s Play/Chucky franchises: https://ew.com/movies/2019/02/18/chucky-childs-play/

Strangely enough, Steven Spielberg had a hand in the sequels that were released by Univeral Pictures.

“Steven said, ‘David, listen, I would like you to give Universal the first shot at this,'” says Kirschner. “Give them your wish list of what it is that you want, and if they don’t meet that, then I’ve done what Sid Sheinberg has asked me to do.’ And so I said, ‘Great, let’s move forward with it.’ Steven really is the one that brought it over to Universal. It was Steven Spielberg and Kathy Kennedy [Spielberg’s producer and Amblin cofounder] who that made that happen.” (Thirty years later, Spielberg would actually get to work with Chucky on his 2018 film, Ready Player One.)

And of course, series creator Don Mancini isn’t very happy with the remake, as he rightfully believes that it muddles the franchise that he’s clearly not yet finished with. It’s an interesting article about the legal issues in the industry, I highly recommend it!

bassman
31-Mar-2019, 02:47 AM
The new voice of Chucky was announced today at Wondercon. The killer doll will be voiced by Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill.

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/mark-hamill-provides-the-voice-of-chucky-for-childs-play-remake

Now THIS captures my attention. Interesting, very interesting. Hamill is an amazing voice over artist, having defined The Joker for a generation in Batman: The Animated Series, plus much more.

I wasn’t really interested in this remake, but this casting may have bought my ticket....

bassman
03-Apr-2019, 10:53 PM
Someone has pointed out that Hamill had actually already voiced Chucky, which he did for Robot Chicken several years back....

N3PZFz6T8wY

Now, to be fair, this is very unlikely to be similar to what he’ll do in the new film. Here he was just imitating Dourif’s version of the character. Still, kind of funny to hear it and think of the possibilities. :)