View Full Version : Netflix Zombie Apocalypse Series Black Summer

kidgloves
06-Aug-2018, 05:27 PM
8 episodes to start

http://comicbook.com/horror/2018/07/31/black-summer-netflix-jaime-king-zombie-tv-show/

shootemindehead
06-Aug-2018, 08:53 PM
the series is created and showrun by Karl Schaefer and John Hyams, both of whom previously worked on Syfy's Z Nation.

Ummm, that's not good. 'Z Nation' was rubbish.

But, will hold fire and check it out anyway.

Moon Knight
10-Aug-2018, 03:45 AM
Ummm, that's not good. 'Z Nation' was rubbish.

But, will hold fire and check it out anyway.

Z Nation ain’t for me but I gotta give them credit it’s still on the air.

shootemindehead
10-Aug-2018, 10:43 AM
Hmmm, so's 'The Goldbergs' and 'Modern Family' Moon.

There's plenty of shite still on the air.

Anyway, we'll see what they can come up with for this show. Hopefully, it can do the zombie apoc some justice.

Neil
10-Aug-2018, 12:20 PM
I like The Goldbergs :) At least the first few series...

Moon Knight
10-Aug-2018, 03:00 PM
Didn’t even know those shows still produced new episodes lol.

MissJacksonCA
15-Oct-2018, 07:52 PM
It just sounds a lot like Madison's story from Ftwd /Rick's story from TWD so the bar is low

kidgloves
19-Mar-2019, 09:11 PM
They're runners.

Trailer
https://youtu.be/tQA1omPJN24

MinionZombie
20-Mar-2019, 11:04 AM
Runners? Pass.

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, though ... doesn't look like it's for me. I wasn't keen on what I saw in the trailer, and the clickbait articles (ads, really) banging on about it being "better than TWD" are not only stupid but also annoying. :D

kidgloves
11-Apr-2019, 08:23 PM
Out now

Zombie Snack
12-Apr-2019, 11:49 AM
I'll give it a watch today and see

shootemindehead
12-Apr-2019, 01:35 PM
Runners? Pass.

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, though ... doesn't look like it's for me. I wasn't keen on what I saw in the trailer, and the clickbait articles (ads, really) banging on about it being "better than TWD" are not only stupid but also annoying. :D

It's also 'Z Nation', which I abandoned ages ago because it was shite.

kidgloves
12-Apr-2019, 05:17 PM
I'm halfway through. Its actually ok. Nothing we havent seen already.
It's basically a 4 hour tv movie split into parts with WWZ movie zombies.

Neil
12-Apr-2019, 05:52 PM
Out now
Thanks for the heads up!

I'll start trying to watch it!

kidgloves
12-Apr-2019, 07:27 PM
This ended up being a 6 hour movie and you know what? I freaking loved it.
In a nutshell it's in the segment format of the WWZ book, set in the WWZ movie universe.
And all produced by The Asylum.
It's grim as it should be and worse case scenario, runner's who turn instantly upon death. A real clusterfuck.
The acting is way above average, characters interesting. Storytelling is often told from multiple perspectives and never seemed gimmicky to me.

Give it a chance people. I watched the whole lot in 2 sittings which is a rarity these days

Edit..

It also has one of the best zombie chase scenes I've ever seen.

Zombie Snack
13-Apr-2019, 02:32 PM
I agree with kidgloves, I just finished it up and was surprised with how good it was, hard to believe these are the same people who make z nation. Good characters, good storytelling and totally binge worthy.

- - - Updated - - -

I also thought it was nice too see a more realistic view of how most people who have never had military training were useless with guns, very few of those miraculous head shots that happen in most zombie shows.

Nevers
14-Apr-2019, 01:03 AM
*spoilers*

Didn’t think much to it.

It did have some great moments... but I just feel that I haven’t seen a modern zombie show that strikes a balance between the characters being totally badass and them being totally and utterly stupid. Even the chase scenes dragged on... simply because they wouldn’t shut a single door behind themselves. It just started getting laughable.

I feel writers, directors and producers are getting too bored with zombies to produce zombie shows. It always resorts to some unrealistic comicesque gang warfare between survivors (the school) or silly planned heist (weird survivor nightclub) to acquire guns so that everyone’s armed to the teeth. As a result the show lacked something compared to the earlier episodes. (I thought the woman getting scammed out of her car in the beginning was a very simple yet awesome scene, as was the diner where the survivors had very few weapons to fend for themselves. In fact, all of the first episode was great!)

Buzzbomb
20-Apr-2019, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the heads-up on this... Enjoyed it very much, despite it being the Nike variety.

Moon Knight
21-Apr-2019, 04:39 AM
It was fun but so many stupid situations. Multiple episodes didn’t even have a single line of dialogue; they pulled it off.

One character was running the entire series and last we saw him was still running.

The school episode was bad but everything else was good to great; including the first episode. Fresh content that was well made.

Not perfect but short and fun.

Really hate the zombies, though.

The finale was kinda idiotic.

One of the best characters turned out to be the most disappointing.

I’m good on a second season.

kidgloves
21-Apr-2019, 08:33 PM
This popped up in my recommended list the other day

https://youtu.be/4l-yByZpaaM

They're more of the demon variety and runner's but still great. 5 episodes in and im loving the change of period in history. 2nd season has been confirmed

Moon Knight
21-Apr-2019, 10:52 PM
This popped up in my recommended list the other day

https://youtu.be/4l-yByZpaaM

They're more of the demon variety and runner's but still great. 5 episodes in and im loving the change of period in history. 2nd season has been confirmed

Pretty cool, wish I didn't watch it dubbed, though.

kidgloves
22-Apr-2019, 12:24 AM
Pretty cool, wish I didn't watch it dubbed, though.

I watched the first 2 episodes subbed as they were downloads and I usually prefer the native language but the subs were distracting from the action quite badly in this xase. The dubbed version is done really well and looks spectacular in 4k IMHO.

Moon Knight
22-Apr-2019, 03:10 AM
I watched the first 2 episodes subbed as they were downloads and I usually prefer the native language but the subs were distracting from the action quite badly in this xase. The dubbed version is done really well and looks spectacular in 4k IMHO.

Dude, what version was that? The Netflix dub was horrible. Voice acting quality took me back to the days of the original PlayStation.

kidgloves
24-Apr-2019, 09:21 PM
Dude, what version was that? The Netflix dub was horrible. Voice acting quality took me back to the days of the original PlayStation.

It was the Netflix one. Trust me, it was a better experience than the subs. I love the original Monkey so I didn't mind tbh ��

Edit.
You know you could have switched the subs on and changed the language to Korean on Netflix don't you?

Moon Knight
25-Apr-2019, 12:35 PM
It was the Netflix one. Trust me, it was a better experience than the subs. I love the original Monkey so I didn't mind tbh ��

Edit.
You know you could have switched the subs on and changed the language to Korean on Netflix don't you?

I really didn’t feel like reading at the time but of course I regretted that decision.

bassman
27-Apr-2019, 12:47 PM
On you guys’ recommendation, I’m about halfway through Black Summer and enjoying it! Runners have never really been my favorite, but at least their moans and groans sound human and not shrieking dinosaurs! Overall I’m liking the apocalyptic vibe of it all.

In certain ways, this feels more in line with what I was hoping FTWD would be. Admittedly, I’ve only seen the first two seasons of FTWD, so it could have changed, but this satisfied me more with the “beginning of the end” feel. Looking forward to the last episodes!

Moon Knight
27-Apr-2019, 01:56 PM
On you guys’ recommendation, I’m about halfway through Black Summer and enjoying it! Runners have never really been my favorite, but at least their moans and groans sound human and not shrieking dinosaurs! Overall I’m liking the apocalyptic vibe of it all.

In certain ways, this feels more in line with what I was hoping FTWD would be. Admittedly, I’ve only seen the first two seasons of FTWD, so it could have changed, but this satisfied me more with the “beginning of the end” feel. Looking forward to the last episodes!

Their sounds are pretty good and better than screeching nonsense. I just wish they didn’t move so human. I just tell myself it’s more 28 days later than NoTLD and all is right.

bassman
27-Apr-2019, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I’ve also noticed that some of their movements and reactions seem a bit too cognizant for my taste, but that’s really a very minor quibble. They’re definitely more in line with 28 Days Later and Dawn04 but that’s not really a problem, as it seems to be working quite well. One of my biggest runner complaints has always been the immediate change in their vocal chords, so at least this series didn’t go that far with it...

Moon Knight
27-Apr-2019, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I’ve also noticed that some of their movements and reactions seem a bit too cognizant for my taste, but that’s really a very minor quibble. They’re definitely more in line with 28 Days Later and Dawn04 but that’s not really a problem, as it seems to be working quite well. One of my biggest runner complaints has always been the immediate change in their vocal chords, so at least this series didn’t go that far with it...

Great observation.

Neil
28-Apr-2019, 09:36 AM
Yeh, I remember in the Dawn remake, how on reanimating we'd get contact lenses in, and dinosaur vocal chords in...

MinionZombie
28-Apr-2019, 10:37 AM
Yeh, I remember in the Dawn remake, how on reanimating we'd get contact lenses in, and dinosaur vocal chords in...

Remember the insta-rot and ceiling crawl ability afforded to the abominations in the turd festival otherwise known as the 2008 remake of Day?

Neil
28-Apr-2019, 11:17 AM
Remember the insta-rot and ceiling crawl ability afforded to the abominations in the turd festival otherwise known as the 2008 remake of Day?

No! I do not! The extensive counselling has worked wonders on removing that from my noggin!

bassman
28-Apr-2019, 11:29 AM
Aww, c’mon....you know you loved BUD the vegetarian zombie!!

Moon Knight
28-Apr-2019, 02:15 PM
Opening up old wounds.

JDP
28-Apr-2019, 04:39 PM

But it can't even count as a "remake", properly. It doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with Day, except a couple of character names that coincide with that Romero film. Sorry, but it's just not enough to qualify as a "remake". There has to be more "overlap" between the original and the "remake" in order for a film to count as such.

Neil
05-May-2019, 09:41 AM
OK... Enjoying it more as I get further into it :)

kidgloves
06-May-2019, 01:10 PM
OK... Enjoying it more as I get further into it :)

That was my experience. It's not perfect but overall I really enjoyed it.

Neil
06-May-2019, 02:46 PM
Finished. Enjoyable, although had a couple of why the hell do that moments?

eg: You find a lovely shopping center, all empty, and you do what? Block the automatic doors to ensure your continued health? No you pi$$ about with a shopping cart, shopping and leave the automatic doors to let any infected in.

OR, when one or two infected run towards a HUGE group, EVERYONE fires, even at long range, to waste as much ammo as possible. And even if you're 4ft behind other people, you shoot right between their shoulders/heads, without worrying if you hit them, and without them caring about the noise 2ft behind their heads.

:)

Furiousbunny
03-Jun-2019, 05:02 PM
Finished. Enjoyable, although had a couple of why the hell do that moments?

eg: You find a lovely shopping center, all empty, and you do what? Block the automatic doors to ensure your continued health? No you pi$$ about with a shopping cart, shopping and leave the automatic doors to let any infected in.

OR, when one or two infected run towards a HUGE group, EVERYONE fires, even at long range, to waste as much ammo as possible. And even if you're 4ft behind other people, you shoot right between their shoulders/heads, without worrying if you hit them, and without them caring about the noise 2ft behind their heads.

:)

To be fair that guy had to be the dumbest character in the show, but yeah that type of crap happened way too much in the show. Also I didn't mind how it was split up, but some of the scenes didn't seem to last long enough to warrant a split.

Daoyinyang
17-Jun-2019, 08:40 AM
The camerawork was great, they nail the long shots and setting an atmosphere of trepidation. The show was all atmosphere, but no substance. The dialogue exchanges were pretty convincing and the actors did great. But the logic made no sense; it was asinine. Their choice of action felt like it was to purely piss you off.
The teenage kids at the school killing the characters off was awesome. I rooted for them.
Some of the characters killed the atmosphere the show had set though. Like in one scene, the dude was running from a zombie, in the next scene he goes shopping like everything is okay. They run from the zombies and hide in the school, then he tries to play the drums. I just don't get it.
Also a lot of plot points get brought up but never concludes.

Spoiler territory:
Why is there nobody at the stadium?

FoodFight
22-Jun-2019, 08:38 PM
Spoilers
Wasn't overly impressed. Even though it was brought to us by the Z Nation crew it doesn't (to its' credit) have the comedic efforts of the aforementioned series. The characters were by and large either stupid or vile, and results were inconsistent with abilities (lack of training and language barrier show difficulty with coordinated efforts.....followed by a highly successful score at the rave despite those deficiencies).
I believe they have a green light for a second season and I'll watch it, if only in the hopes they'll redeem themselves.
l