View Full Version : BBC: Best Christmas film?

Neil
19-Dec-2018, 06:12 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46616452

No Gremlins?

1. It's A Wonderful Life (1946)
2. Elf (2003)
3. The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
4. Love Actually (2003)
5. Home Alone (1990)
6. Die Hard (1988)
7. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
8. The Polar Express (2004)
9. White Christmas (1954)
10. Scrooge (1951)
11. A Christmas Carol (1984)
12. The Snowman (1982)
13. Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
14. Santa Claus: The Movie (1985)
15. The Holiday (2006)
16. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
17. The Grinch (2000)
18. Scrooged (1988)
19. Nativity! (2009)
20. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)

bassman
19-Dec-2018, 06:35 PM
Seems like they’d include Lethal Weapon if they’re going to have Die Hard on there.

Funny coincidence, Fox just released this new trailer for Die Hard, “the greatest Christmas story ever told”. :lol:

UrWQEJhVSz4

shootemindehead
19-Dec-2018, 08:22 PM
'Die Hard' isn't a Christmas film. Even Bruce Willis says so.

Seriously though, feckin 'Love Actually' placed above the 1951 film 'Scrooge'? That's a load of old pony. 'Scrooge' should be at least in the top 3.

JDP
20-Dec-2018, 09:30 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46616452

No Gremlins?

1. It's A Wonderful Life (1946)
2. Elf (2003)
3. The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
4. Love Actually (2003)
5. Home Alone (1990)
6. Die Hard (1988)
7. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
8. The Polar Express (2004)
9. White Christmas (1954)
10. Scrooge (1951)
11. A Christmas Carol (1984)
12. The Snowman (1982)
13. Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
14. Santa Claus: The Movie (1985)
15. The Holiday (2006)
16. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)
17. The Grinch (2000)
18. Scrooged (1988)
19. Nativity! (2009)
20. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)

Also no A Christmas Story (1983)??? I don't know in the UK, but in the US this movie is mandatory for Christmas season. I don't remember even one year where some channel or another doesn't play it.

PS: horror fans will recognize Darren McGavin (Kolchak: The Night Stalker) in it.

PS 2: and as stated in the above post, Die Hard is NOT a "Christmas" movie.

shootemindehead
20-Dec-2018, 10:04 AM
'A Christmas Story' is very American (not that most of the film's on the list aren't). But few people this side of the pond will have even heard of it. It didn't resonate over here as much as it did over there and it generally doesn't get played this side either. In fact, I can't remember it ever being shown.

bassman
20-Dec-2018, 11:37 AM
To each his own fellas, but in my opinion, Die Hard is very much a Christmas movie. Die Hard and Lethal Weapon have more of a right to be on this list than Harry Potter 1, IMO.

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2018, 03:52 PM
Hmmm ... the Christmas aspects of Lethal Weapon aren't as embedded into the film though. Sure, there's decorations and some settings (e.g. an Xmas tree lot) ... but I feel that Xmas is far more embedded into Die Hard: it takes place on Xmas Eve during an office Xmas party, there's Xmas music throughout the film, multiple characters make explicit references to the holiday season and various other elements associated with the Xmas season.

I've been watching some festive movies recently. I kicked it off with Die Hard, then I watched The Hateful Eight (it's 'Xmas adjacent' - set around about Xmas time and Bob plays Silent Night on the piano), then Bad Santa 1 & 2, plus Night Train Murders ('Xmas adjacent' again, but it takes place on Xmas Eve/Xmas Day so the whole reason for the characters being on the train is going somewhere for the holidays), and then my favourite - National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. :cool::thumbsup:

bassman
20-Dec-2018, 03:59 PM
Yeah, Die Hard is definitely more directly connected to the holiday. It’s part of the plot. Lethal Weapon is just set during the season, much like Black’s Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

I never would have considered Hateful Eight as a Christmas flick, but I loved it and it’s about time to give it another spin, so I’ll just use this as a reason to see it again! :p

JDP
20-Dec-2018, 09:43 PM
Hmmm ... the Christmas aspects of Lethal Weapon aren't as embedded into the film though. Sure, there's decorations and some settings (e.g. an Xmas tree lot) ... but I feel that Xmas is far more embedded into Die Hard: it takes place on Xmas Eve during an office Xmas party, there's Xmas music throughout the film, multiple characters make explicit references to the holiday season and various other elements associated with the Xmas season.

The Christmas references in the movie are just incidental. They are there just because the action is happening at a party on Christmas Eve. You can easily make a movie like Die Hard without those incidental Christmas references, though. For example, you could set it during the 4th of July celebrations, and it would not alter any important aspect of the movie. It would still be Die Hard. But you cannot make a movie like Gremlins, for example, happen at another time of the year. It has to be Christmas season, or the movie would be very different. Christmas is truly "embedded" into that film.

EvilNed
21-Dec-2018, 08:01 AM
Elf, The Holiday and Polar Express definitely do not belong on any "Best christmas movies"-list.

bassman
21-Dec-2018, 11:12 AM
The Christmas references in the movie are just incidental. They are there just because the action is happening at a party on Christmas Eve. You can easily make a movie like Die Hard without those incidental Christmas references, though. For example, you could set it during the 4th of July celebrations, and it would not alter any important aspect of the movie. It would still be Die Hard. But you cannot make a movie like Gremlins, for example, happen at another time of the year. It has to be Christmas season, or the movie would be very different. Christmas is truly "embedded" into that film.

With that reasoning, you could alter many movies and take away their Christmas status. It’s a Wonderful Life and White Christmas are surprisingly barely about the holiday. Home Alone ( which is coincidentally a kid’s version of Die Hard :p ) could take place while the McCallisters are on summer vacation. Gizmo could have been a birthday gift in Gremlins. Ebenezer Scrooge could be visited by the three ghosts in February. You could alter just about any Christmas movie if you like, unless it involves the characters of Jesus Christ or Santa Clause, I suppose.

Either way, I’ve never understood why anyone really argues one way or the other. It’s more about a feeling and mindset, so what works for some, won’t work for others. Reminds me of the ol’ 28 Days Later discussions of whether or not it’s a real zombie movie. It could be argued both ways, it’s just really down to what each person prefers.

Thinking of Christmas films that aren’t as widely recognized....I’ve always like Trapped in Paradise with Nic Cage, Jon Lovitz, and Dana Carvey.

JDP
21-Dec-2018, 03:08 PM
With that reasoning, you could alter many movies and take away their Christmas status. It’s a Wonderful Life and White Christmas are surprisingly barely about the holiday. Home Alone ( which is coincidentally a kid’s version of Die Hard :p ) could take place while the McCallisters are on summer vacation. Gizmo could have been a birthday gift in Gremlins. Ebenezer Scrooge could be visited by the three ghosts in February. You could alter just about any Christmas movie if you like, unless it involves the characters of Jesus Christ or Santa Clause, I suppose.

Either way, I’ve never understood why anyone really argues one way or the other. It’s more about a feeling and mindset, so what works for some, won’t work for others. Reminds me of the ol’ 28 Days Later discussions of whether or not it’s a real zombie movie. It could be argued both ways, it’s just really down to what each person prefers.

Thinking of Christmas films that aren’t as widely recognized....I’ve always like Trapped in Paradise with Nic Cage, Jon Lovitz, and Dana Carvey.

Not so. Many of those movies you refer to would not work well outside of a Christmas environment. Scrooge, for example, would not work at the month you mentioned. And even if you did set it then, it would still be about Christmas. You can't do away with Christmas in that story. It IS about Christmas! But Die Hard can easily work during any holiday/celebration, it does not have to be Christmas. The movie does not revolve around that holiday season, it is just incidental that the action happens during a Christmas party.

About Gremlins: a birthday gift would not work as effectively as a Christmas gift, since other important elements of the movie also revolve around Christmas. For example, Mrs. Deagle and Kate both hate Christmas in their own way and for their own reasons, and they both learn the lesson in their own way thanks to the Gremlins disaster that ruins the holiday season. You try to do this at another time of the year and it just does not work. Holidays like the Fourth of July or Summer do not have the same "mood" and "spirit", they are very different. Setting a movie like Gremlins in those seasons would fall flat. But you can easily set a movie like Die Hard during something like the Fourth of July or Halloween, and it would work just as well because the plot itself does not require it to revolve around any particular holiday.

Neil
21-Dec-2018, 03:32 PM
About Gremlins: a birthday gift would not work as effectively as a Christmas gift, since other important elements of the movie also revolve around Christmas. For example, Mrs. Deagle and Kate both hate Christmas in their own way and for their own reasons, and they both learn the lesson in their own way thanks to the Gremlins disaster that ruins the holiday season. You try to do this at another time of the year and it just does not work. Holidays like the Fourth of July or Summer do not have the same "mood" and "spirit", they are very different. Setting a movie like Gremlins in those seasons would fall flat. But you can easily set a movie like Die Hard during something like the Fourth of July or Halloween, and it would work just as well because the plot itself does not require it to revolve around any particular holiday.
I'd forgotten about that. Yes you're right!

- - - Updated - - -

Elf, The Holiday and Polar Express definitely do not belong on any "Best christmas movies"-list.

I probably watch (& love) Elf every year :)

MinionZombie
21-Dec-2018, 04:36 PM

Yeah, that's a good one. I just recently re-watched that ... at the tail-end of summer. :p

bassman
21-Dec-2018, 05:47 PM
The terrorist plot takes place at Christmas in particular for several reasons, the main character is only involved at all because of Christmas, and in the end he learns the timeless Christmas lesson about family. Pretty much the same things that are seen in most others. Not to mention the many, many other references.

Also, people tend to forget that Bruce Willis’ comment was said during a comedy roast and was followed by a smug “it’s a BRUCE WILLIS movie!”, as a joke. If we’re taking the creatives’ statements into account, McTiernan, Silver, DeSouza, etc have gone on record saying it’s a Christmas flick, as well as the author of the original novel that it’s adapted from.

But, as I said, at the end of the day it’s split among fans because it’s such a great flick that can be seen in different ways. At the very least it includes enough Christmas elements to cause that split and debate that’s been going for thirty years, so that’s fun!

A couple other mentions that just came to mind: Jingle All The Way and The Long Kiss Goodnight. One is a cheesy over the top Schwarzenegger romp and the other is an over the top Shane Black actioner.

JDP
21-Dec-2018, 06:28 PM
The terrorist plot takes place at Christmas in particular for several reasons, the main character is only involved at all because of Christmas, and in the end he learns the timeless Christmas lesson about family. Pretty much the same things that are seen in most others. Not to mention the many, many other references.

Also, people tend to forget that Bruce Willis’ comment was said during a comedy roast and was followed by a smug “it’s a BRUCE WILLIS movie!”, as a joke. If we’re taking the creatives’ statements into account, McTiernan, Silver, DeSouza, etc have gone on record saying it’s a Christmas flick, as well as the author of the original novel that it’s adapted from.

But, as I said, at the end of the day it’s split among fans because it’s such a great flick that can be seen in different ways. At the very least it includes enough Christmas elements to cause that split and debate that’s been going for thirty years, so that’s fun!

A couple other mentions that just came to mind: Jingle All The Way and The Long Kiss Goodnight. One is a cheesy over the top Schwarzenegger romp and the other is an over the top Shane Black actioner.

If their intention was to make a "Christmas movie" they totally failed. Again, all the mentions of Christmas in the movie are just incidental. In fact, the majority of mentions are very trivial "Merry Christmas!" greetings. You can change them to any other holiday (ex: "Happy Halloween!") and it won't alter the main plot of the movie. Christmas does not play any important part in the movie.

bassman
21-Dec-2018, 07:30 PM
If their intention was to make a "Christmas movie" they totally failed. Again, all the mentions of Christmas in the movie are just incidental. In fact, the majority of mentions are very trivial "Merry Christmas!" greetings. You can change them to any other holiday (ex: "Happy Halloween!") and it won't alter the main plot of the movie. Christmas does not play any important part in the movie.

Different strokes for different folks. No matter which side of the debate, we all win because Die Hard is an incredible film! :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
22-Dec-2018, 10:11 AM
There was an episode of Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema on the other night and it was all about Christmas movies. Die Hard was discussed in amongst it all - including the fact that John's wife is called Holly. ;)

Bizarrely, though, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation didn't get a single look in! *faints*

shootemindehead
22-Dec-2018, 11:10 AM
I remember when 'Die Hard' was released in 1988 (July in America and Spring 89 in Ireland). Absolutely nobody considered it a "Christmas" movie. That idea only came around later. Much later.

JDP
22-Dec-2018, 02:56 PM
I remember when 'Die Hard' was released in 1988 (July in America and Spring 89 in Ireland). Absolutely nobody considered it a "Christmas" movie. That idea only came around later. Much later.

I saw it at the movie theaters back then too. Same thing: no one said anything about it being a "Christmas movie" back in those days.

bassman
22-Dec-2018, 03:05 PM
No matter which side of the debate everyone lands on, has anyone ever thought it was strange that Nakatomi is having their office Christmas party ON Christmas Eve? At night, no less? Is this normal practice for large companies? Apparently they didn’t consider that the employees would want to be home with family?? :p

I’ve been trying to think of some of my more offbeat Christmas movie traditions with each post I make. All I got at the moment is Ernest Saves Christmas. It’s slightly off the beaten path, but I think it generally makes some Christmas lists. I loved the silly character and quite a few of his earlier films. I was even Ernest for Halloween this year. :lol:

blind2d
22-Dec-2018, 05:51 PM
'Die Hard' isn't a Christmas film. Even Bruce Willis says so.

Seriously though, feckin 'Love Actually' placed above the 1951 film 'Scrooge'? That's a load of old pony. 'Scrooge' should be at least in the top 3.

Agreed!

EvilNed
23-Dec-2018, 08:21 AM
Having run a tradition of seeing up to 8 christmas movies in a Marathon each year for the last 7, (and always picking new ones to watch) I must say that there's definitely some films around that could take place at another time and place than during christmas festivities. Die Hard for instance. But it works really well as a christmas movie and integrates music, scenery and plot points of christmas into it (The office party is a christmas party, for instance) well enough to give it a great christmas feel.

But any film that does not revolve around family values, the importance of being close to your loved ones or learning to having faith could be rewritten without too much hassle to become set at some other time.

Most christmas films revolve around a character, usually a kid growing up, having doubts about Christmas. Through an adventure he or she learns that it's important to have faith.

shootemindehead
23-Dec-2018, 09:57 AM
It all depends on what one considers a "Christmas" movie, to state the bleedin obvious.

So, for instance, personally I would consider 'A Christmas Carol' (and variations thereof) to be a "Christmas" movie, as Christmas is integral to the plot and without it, it's a very different film. 'Die Hard' may take place during a Christmas office party, but the time of year is irrelevant to the film. As JDP said earlier, it could be 4th of July party, or even Thanksgiving.

The opening of 'The French Connection' takes place at Christmas, does that make it a "Christmas" movie? No, of course not. 'Jaws' takes place around the 4th of July. Is that a "4th of July" movie?

It's a funny debate though and it rages worse and worse every flippin year as time goes by. The thing is though, it was never intended to be a "Christmas" movie by its makers and, as said earlier, nobody considered it as such when it was released. Even 'Die Hard 2' (also with a Christmas background) was released in the Summer (July 4th to be exact) and you'd think if the producers intent was to make a "Christmas" movie, they would have capitalised on that particular release date.

'Die Hard' became a Christmas movie, by virtue of the fact that fans of the film made it such and it's further morphed into one of the "great" internet debates that will never end.

MinionZombie
23-Dec-2018, 10:33 AM
Crazy theory here folks, but ... movies can be more than one genre or 'thing' simultaneously. :shifty:

Die Hard is an action movie and also a Christmas movie. :eek:

JDP
23-Dec-2018, 03:42 PM
For me it is very clear: for a movie to be declared some "holiday movie", the holiday in question needs to be relevant for the plot, in a way that you could not change said holiday without affecting important parts of the movie. For example, Night of the Demons is unquestionably a "Halloween movie". Why? Because Halloween plays an important part to the plot (as one of the characters pertinently points out, it is the day when demonic forces are at their strongest, thus why the demons are unleashed at the Halloween party setting.) This movie would not work as well in a setting other than Halloween. That holiday is very "embedded" into the plot. But Die Hard does NOT qualify as a "Christmas" -or in fact any other holiday- movie, because the holiday in question does not play any important part in the plot, it is just incidental. You can easily change it to another holiday/celebration and the movie will work just as well.

EvilNed
23-Dec-2018, 04:31 PM
Of course Die Hard is a Christmas movie. It's on pretty much everyone's top 10 list over favorite Christmas movies. If that doesn't make it a Christmas movie, then I don't know what will.

As for the creators intentions that's irrelevant.

JDP
23-Dec-2018, 11:25 PM
People who don't know what they are talking about and haven't got any solid criteria regarding what constitutes a "holiday movie" do not count. They can even put Cannibal Holocaust in their list of "Summer Vacation" movies if they want to, it would still not really make it so. When Die Hard first came out, no one was saying anything about it being a "Christmas movie". It was a summer blockbuster action movie; what it was, is and always will be. This clueless "Christmas movie" classification is relatively recent.

bassman
24-Dec-2018, 04:54 PM
...If someone holds a different opinion from yours, that means they don’t know what they’re talking about?:rockbrow:

EvilNed
24-Dec-2018, 09:47 PM
...If someone holds a different opinion from yours, that means they don’t know what they’re talking about?:rockbrow:

Don't reply to it.

JDP
25-Dec-2018, 11:39 AM

It's not a matter of "opinion", it's just what it is. A movie/story where a given holiday does not play any important part of the plot and is only an incidental element obviously does not qualify it as a "holiday movie/story". Just common sense and logic.

Is Moonraker (1979) a "Carnival movie"??? After all, it happens during the Carnival season.

Nope, I don't think so! It's what it plainly is: a secret agent action/adventure/sci-fi flick. Carnival celebrations are just incidental and do not play any important part in the plot.

bassman
27-Dec-2018, 02:51 PM
That seems like a narrow way of looking at it, but that’s your opinion, so you’re welcomed to it, of course.

blind2d
27-Dec-2018, 03:27 PM
So does this mean Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 isn't a Halloween-holiday movie?

JDP
27-Dec-2018, 09:25 PM
That seems like a narrow way of looking at it, but that’s your opinion, so you’re welcomed to it, of course.

Again, not an "opinion", just facts. "Opinion" -and a very incorrect one- is claiming that Die Hard is a "Christmas movie" even though this holiday does not play any important part in the film.

- - - Updated - - -

So does this mean Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 isn't a Halloween-holiday movie?

Haven't seen it, but the original Halloween movies certainly qualify. The theme of the "boogeyman" only coming out in that holiday is an important element of the original movie. Myers goes on his killing rampages only on Halloween. And Halloween III is even more Halloween-centered!

bassman
28-Dec-2018, 12:05 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/972d8dfaf4afe89ca696d8978b76f436/tenor.gif?itemid=9255455

EvilNed
28-Dec-2018, 09:59 AM
It cannot be reasoned with. Do not even try. Dismissing all studies on film theory and genre classification on a whim like that without no sign of self reflection whatsoever is absurd.

Genre works like this;

If 9 out of 10 people say that X is X. Then it is X.

It doesn't work like this;

X is generally considered to be X. 9 out of 10 are in agreement. But 1 person claims that X is in fact Y, and calls all others wrong. That, in fact, makes X into Y.

First genre is determined. Then it is determined what makes people see it as such. In the case of Christmas films; what makes a Christmas film? Well - being included in any number of "List of Christmas films" is actually one of the highest criteria. Genre's are nothing more than a made up term to categorize works of art. That's it. There's nothing mystical about it. Brazil, for instance, is also a Christmas movie. Why? Because it's set at Christmas and features a Christmas theme. Does that make me run for it whenever it's Christmas? No, of course not. But some might, and that is their prerogative - and there's no "facts" about it. If you try to apply "facts" to a field of subjective opinions then you've completely misunderstood what art theory is all about. You may wish to discuss it from a field of facts, but it's going to be a monologue because you're speaking a different language than everybody else. So have fun.

JDP
28-Dec-2018, 01:52 PM
Talking about clueless and not being able to be reasoned with: a person who hilariously thinks that genres are a "democracy" and are decided by popular vote. Again, the fact that nobody considered the movie in question as a "Christmas movie" and was not even advertised as such when it came out (during the summer, no less!), and that anyone with at least a modicum of criterion can plainly see that said holiday is only an incidental element in the plot, doesn't appear to bother him at all. Not surprising from the same guy who thinks that 28 Days Later is "a perfect example of a zombie movie" :rolleyes:

bassman
28-Dec-2018, 02:54 PM
That’s the second or third time I’ve seen the advertising defense. You guys do realize that it’s easy to find original theatrical trailers on either the home video release or YouTube, right? Might wanna look that one up before using it again...

First audio heard: Christmas song, “Let it Snow”.
First line of narration: “It’s Christmas Eve in Los Angeles”
Last line of dialogue: “Got invited to the Christmas party by mistake. Who knew??”

EvilNed
28-Dec-2018, 04:45 PM
Talking about clueless and not being able to be reasoned with: a person who hilariously thinks that genres are a "democracy" and are decided by popular vote.

That's exactly what defines a genre. Consensus.
And you can't find a single film theorist out there who'd agree with your point of view. Not one.

JDP
28-Dec-2018, 09:59 PM
That's exactly what defines a genre. Consensus.
And you can't find a single film theorist out there who'd agree with your point of view. Not one.

Consensus among the people who actually know what they are talking about, not the average viewer/reader. Genres are created by the writers, not the public. Like I said, if all of a sudden some groundless nonsense compelled most people to see Cannibal Holocaust or some other such movie in a tropical jungle as a "Summer Vacation" movie that would still not make it so. Genres are not a popularity contest.

EvilNed
28-Dec-2018, 10:39 PM
Consensus among the people who actually know what they are talking about, not the average viewer/reader. Genres are created by the writers, not the public. Like I said, if all of a sudden some groundless nonsense compelled most people to see Cannibal Holocaust or some other such movie in a tropical jungle as a "Summer Vacation" movie that would still not make it so. Genres are not a popularity contest.

Actually, yes it would.
As that would force us to rethink what we believe a summer vacation is. But it's an absurd example, so it's never going to happen.

JDP
28-Dec-2018, 10:51 PM
That’s the second or third time I’ve seen the advertising defense. You guys do realize that it’s easy to find original theatrical trailers on either the home video release or YouTube, right? Might wanna look that one up before using it again...

First audio heard: Christmas song, “Let it Snow”.
First line of narration: “It’s Christmas Eve in Los Angeles”
Last line of dialogue: “Got invited to the Christmas party by mistake. Who knew??”

That's hardly an advertisement for a "Christmas movie" (in fact, as pointed out numerous times, the movie was released as a summer action film.) It's just describing some of what goes on in the movie, which does indeed happen during a Christmas party. And that's pretty much the only connection the film has to Christmas: the party, which is just an excuse to get all these people together so they can be taken hostage by a group of terrorists. You could easily change it to pretty much any other holiday, like St. Patrick's Day or Fourth of July, and the movie works just as well. This is a telltale sign of what constitutes a "holiday movie": if you cannot change a given holiday for another one without affecting some important aspect of the plot, then it IS a "holiday movie". The holiday in question (whichever it is) has to play an important role in the story, otherwise it is just a movie/story that just coincidentally happens during some festivity.

By such faulty criterion as you are defending, any movie that features anything remotely connected to Christmas for no reason that is really relevant to the plot is a "Christmas movie". For example, First Blood (1982) would be a "Christmas movie" (the action happens during Christmas season.) But any reasonable, observant, logical person can easily see it's just incidental and you could set the movie during any other season and it would work just as well. Therefore: NOT a "Christmas movie".

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, yes it would.
As that would force us to rethink what we believe a summer vacation is. But it's an absurd example, so it's never going to happen.

Actually no, it wouldn't, as anyone could tell it is nonsense.

And since this whole ridiculous "Die Hard is a Christmas movie" has happened, I would not be surprised if something like that happens too.

EvilNed
28-Dec-2018, 10:55 PM
You're unreasonable at this point. Back on the ignore list you go.

Anyway, happy new year.

JDP
28-Dec-2018, 11:07 PM
Says Mr. Unreasonable himself. And we still know that you keep religiously reading everything I post, so keep on reading and losing most debates that you try to engage in with me, as usual.

Happy New Year :D

EvilNed
28-Dec-2018, 11:17 PM
I agree with you JDP, Die Hard is definitely a christmas film. I however disagree with your statement that Cannibal Holocaust is also a christmas film, and suggest you're perhaps reading too much into the natives bodily ornaments. I do not think they are meant to suggest that the film takes place at Christmas, as you say they are.

JDP
29-Dec-2018, 12:37 AM
I agree with you JDP, Die Hard is definitely a christmas film. I however disagree with your statement that Cannibal Holocaust is also a christmas film, and suggest you're perhaps reading too much into the natives bodily ornaments. I do not think they are meant to suggest that the film takes place at Christmas, as you say they are.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
The Return of the Troll :elol:

bassman
29-Dec-2018, 02:01 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/897f9bdc81d4e8347eaa36d313f14ad0/tenor.gif?itemid=4969512

EvilNed
29-Dec-2018, 08:07 AM
I’m just glad we’re all in agreement that Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Glad me and JDP are finally on the same side!

Merry Christmas everyone!

JDP
29-Dec-2018, 01:28 PM
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
The Troll Strikes Back (2018)

EvilNed
29-Dec-2018, 01:35 PM
So what's everyones top 10 Christmas movies?

I have a tradition with a few friends that we sit down one saturday, a few weekends before Christmas, and see as many as possible.

bassman
29-Dec-2018, 03:45 PM
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
The Return of the Troll :elol:

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
The Troll Strikes Back (2018)

Should’ve reversed the order. Somewhere George Lucas weeps.

So what’s everyone’s top 10 Christmas movies?

Edward Scissorhands, Ghostbusters 2, Eyes Wide Shut, Iron Man 3, Mean Girls, American Psycho, Dirving Miss Daisy, Go, Life of Brian, and of course Die Hard 2. :elol:

MinionZombie
29-Dec-2018, 04:55 PM
Just re-watched Ghostbusters 2 (for the umpteenth time) the other night and it fits in nice with the season, being set in the last couple of weeks of December. I'd edge it more towards a New Year movie as the climax is on New Year's Eve and the whole movie points towards that showdown as one year passes into another (even though they're 10 years shy of the new millennium, heh).

I watched Eyes Wide Shut again last Xmas or the year before as one of my 'alternative Xmas movies'. Funny to think it was too raunchy for America in 1999 (hence the CGI figures moving over certain scenes - but not here in the UK ;) ).

I'd forgotten about "Go" being set around Xmas. I must remember to watch that next year as an alternative Xmas movie.

Also, "genre" and "theme" are different things. There's all sorts of "car" movies (Vanishing Point is part of the New Hollywood movement, while Blues Brothers is a musical comedy). Indeed, there's all sorts of different genres underneath the thematic banner of "New Hollywood" ... from this example, substitute "New Hollywood" with "Christmas Movie" and that's it all explained, really.

JDP
29-Dec-2018, 09:03 PM
Also, "genre" and "theme" are different things. There's all sorts of "car" movies (Vanishing Point is part of the New Hollywood movement, while Blues Brothers is a musical comedy). Indeed, there's all sorts of different genres underneath the thematic banner of "New Hollywood" ... from this example, substitute "New Hollywood" with "Christmas Movie" and that's it all explained, really.

There's also a difference between a story merely being set during some season and a story that is about some season in a way that it forms an important part of the story. This is what distinguishes a real, say, "Christmas movie" (example: A Christmas Carol), from a movie that is merely set in the same season but that actually plays no significant part in the story and can be easily substituted with some other festivity without significantly altering the main story (example: Die Hard.)

"New Hollywood" cannot alter the fundamental basics of storytelling. It's just what it was, it is, and always will be.

EvilNed
29-Dec-2018, 10:47 PM
Interesting. Having never seen Eyes Wide Shut its interesting to learn its a Christmas movie!

bassman
30-Dec-2018, 06:47 PM
Just re-watched Ghostbusters 2 (for the umpteenth time) the other night and it fits in nice with the season, being set in the last couple of weeks of December. I'd edge it more towards a New Year movie as the climax is on New Year's Eve and the whole movie points towards that showdown as one year passes into another (even though they're 10 years shy of the new millennium, heh).

I watched Eyes Wide Shut again last Xmas or the year before as one of my 'alternative Xmas movies'. Funny to think it was too raunchy for America in 1999 (hence the CGI figures moving over certain scenes - but not here in the UK ;) ).

I'd forgotten about "Go" being set around Xmas. I must remember to watch that next year as an alternative Xmas movie.

I was partially kidding about those. I only thought of Ghostbusters II because the montage with a few Christmas references. However, I do agree that it would fit into the strange and less recognized category of New Years films.

blind2d
03-Jan-2019, 08:09 PM
We can all agree though that Iron Man 3 is definitely a Christmas film.