PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy (2019)

bassman
19-Dec-2018, 06:54 PM
Weren’t they initially saying that this new adaptation would be darker and have more of a horror feel to it? This looks more like a comedy and not very different from Del Toro/Perlman’s films...

ppNKns0JFQA

Neil
20-Dec-2018, 10:47 AM
Hmmm... Doesn't look very solid so far!

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2018, 03:46 PM
Hopefully this is just a naff trailer, because so far it's not doing anything for me. To be fair, though, I wasn't particularly fussed by Hellboy in general, but yeah, where's the dark and hard edged version we were told about? :confused:

Neil
20-Dec-2018, 08:13 PM
Hopefully this is just a naff trailer, because so far it's not doing anything for me. To be fair, though, I wasn't particularly fussed by Hellboy in general, but yeah, where's the dark and hard edged version we were told about? :confused:

Oh I really loved Hellboy 1 & 2 ;)

blind2d
22-Dec-2018, 05:42 PM
Oh no, but you can't improve on Del Toro's films.... :( Why would they do this?

Neil
23-Dec-2018, 01:13 PM
Oh no, but you can't improve on Del Toro's films.... :( Why would they do this?

Same reason they think remaking Ben Hur is a good move?

blind2d
24-Dec-2018, 08:14 PM
Same reason they think remaking Ben Hur is a good move?

Oh no... :( Why would they do this?

bassman
01-Mar-2019, 10:08 AM
I’m still not 100% sold, but this new trailer does buy back a little good will. At least they kept their promise of gore, violence, and language, I guess? Officially rated R for “strong bloody violence and gore throughout, and language”. At least it has a slight edge?

ZsBO4b3tyZg

bassman
06-Apr-2019, 03:48 PM
Hard-R trailer that really shows off the fact that this is more adult-oriented than Del Toro’s two films.

hdZiTQlzk4k

Definitely gory, I just hope the rest of it holds up, making a good film as a whole.

bassman
11-Apr-2019, 10:44 PM
Preview showings start tonight, but from everything I’ve heard or been reading, this attempt rests only on the R-rating and all the charm of Del Toro’s films is missed. They say Harbour is okay in the role, but everything else is lacking. Exactly one of most people’s fears from the start.

Looks like I’ll be waiting for a free viewing....

Moon Knight
16-Apr-2019, 06:27 PM
This movie was fun as hell and a real treat for gore fans. It's colorful, yes, but it works within this world. It doesn't take itself too serious. Some of the CGI is rather cartoonish, especially the Ogres, but the Baba Yaga is pretty well done and pretty creepy. Not as deep as the Del Toro films but it wasn't meant to be. It's fun, not amazing but the violence is pretty cool.

Feels like the comic more than the original films did.

Those who want a more serious flick wont like it. I went in with zero expectations and had fun with it. Wont light the world on fire and will be forgotten quickly; that doesn't mean it can't be a guilty pleasure.

bassman
07-Jul-2019, 01:19 PM
Oof....I really wanted to like it, but it’s a mess. There are definitely elements that work, namely Harbour as the title character, but as a whole it feels like it was bashed together with the agenda of making a franchise(like all films these days) and focuses too much on the R-rating. Of course we all love gore here, and there’s plenty of that on display, but when CGI characters are spitting out the “F-bomb” every other word, it feels like a late addition to make the film more edgy. Like they filmed the living actors with different dialogue takes occasionally, but once they got the go-ahead for an R-rating, they just added buckets of f*ck into the mouths of CG characters during post.

As I said, certain things work, but in the end it felt more like a gimmick to me. It’s worth a viewing I suppose, but I wouldn’t pay for it. I seem to remember reading that it’s going to be dropped on Netflix, Amazon, or one of the popular streaming services soon, so catch it there.

MinionZombie
07-Jul-2019, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I've been hearing rather mediocre/bad things about this, unfortunately.

I heard that Neil Marshall had a tough time on the shoot, I think that was mentioned on an episode of Post Mortem, but nothing else was said/revealed ... so perhaps a lot of creative pressures, problems, and clashes?