PDA

View Full Version : Ghostbusters 3 (film) - 2021

bassman
16-Jan-2019, 04:26 PM
It’s been announced that Jason Reitman, son of original director Ivan Reitman, is already in development on Ghostbusters 3, which will be a continuation of the original franchise, even after the disappointing Paul Feig remake.

Teaser, which gave me all types of moody feels:

C6W3VQp9Cc8

blind2d
16-Jan-2019, 08:09 PM
OMG, let it die! Fuck, jesus...

JDP
17-Jan-2019, 02:20 AM
Is Ray Parker Jr. doing the theme song again?

shootemindehead
17-Jan-2019, 07:33 AM
Ghostbusters had its day in 1984.

Amazes me how they keep trying to mine this thing.

bassman
17-Jan-2019, 10:44 AM
Is Ray Parker Jr. doing the theme song again?
Nothing is known other than Jason Reitman co-wrote the script in secret with Gil Keenan(sp?), he’ll also direct, and his father/original director, Ivan Reitman is producing and heavily involved. Any other cast or crew hasn’t been released at this point, but Jason did say in the press release that they are well down the line on production and he wants to slowly unveil the rest as they go. Being that they explicitly call this “ a direct sequel”, I think it’s safe to assume Parker Jr’s tune will be involved. They even used it in Feig’s film.

OMG, let it die! Fuck, jesus...

Ghostbusters had its day in 1984.

Amazes me how they keep trying to mine this thing.

I hear you guys. But as with any older franchise with a built-in fan base, they’re going to use it for SOMETHING. Even though I enjoyed Feig’s remake for certain things, they kinda screwed the pooch by not doing this “legacy” film first. Casual viewers are even more cautious about this IP now...

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2019, 04:28 PM
Nothing is known other than Jason Reitman co-wrote the script in secret with Gil Keenan(sp?), he’ll also direct, and his father/original director, Ivan Reitman is producing and heavily involved. Any other cast or crew hasn’t been released at this point, but Jason did say in the press release that they are well down the line on production and he wants to slowly unveil the rest as they go. Being that they explicitly call this “ a direct sequel”, I think it’s safe to assume Parker Jr’s tune will be involved. They even used it in Feig’s film.

Did they use the original version of the song in the woeful remake? I can't recall ... but I do recall that dreadful cover version by Fallout Boy ... ... good fudging god that was shite.

The 'legacy'/'passing of the torch' idea - which we're assuming this is - should have been what happened in 2016. Remaking an all-time classic is an idiotic idea, as stupid as remaking Back to the Future or Casablanca.

A resurgence of spooky doings requiring the Ghostbusters to re-emerge, only now they're too old (or dead), so the remaining members must train new 'busters (hopefully they pick a cast of newbies wisely, I want a smart selection with even some surprising-but-wise choices, not stoner buddies or innumerable 'jokes' about wontons and piss poor attempts at being 'political') ... could work.

We also had a fun version of essentially 'Ghostbusters 3' in the form of the 2009 videogame. That introduced the idea of training a new recruit, albeit with the O.G. 'busters still relatively young/middle aged.

I'm hoping the utter bugger up that was the 2016 remake has focused minds and provided lessons, and that Jason Reitman can pull this off. The dude's proved himself time and again to be a wonderful director with an interest in intriguing stories and characters, so hopefully that transfers over to Ghostbusters 2020.

bassman
17-Jan-2019, 06:45 PM
Did they use the original version of the song in the woeful remake? I can't recall ... but I do recall that dreadful cover version by Fallout Boy ... ... good fudging god that was shite.

IIRC, the original theme is used for the film’s title after the opening scene at the mansion, but after that it’s either Fallout Boy or that “Get Ghost” dance version.

I'm hoping the utter bugger up that was the 2016 remake has focused minds and provided lessons, and that Jason Reitman can pull this off. The dude's proved himself time and again to be a wonderful director with an interest in intriguing stories and characters, so hopefully that transfers over to Ghostbusters 2020.

That’s my hope, that he can bring the series back to it’s roots. I think if anyone could do it, it’s probably Jason Reitman. His comments in the press release seem to point toward him having a real love of the characters and a strong idea that he brought to Ivan:

”I love everything about it. The iconography. The music. The tone,” Reitman says. “I remember being on set and seeing them try out the card catalog gag for the first time when the library ghost makes them come flying out. I remember the day they killed Stay Puft and I brought home a hardened piece of foam that just sat on a shelf for years. I was scared there was a terror dog underneath my bed before people knew what a terror dog was.

I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says. “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

When he began making his own movies, starting with 2005’s Thank You for Smoking, Reitman was often asked in interviews if he’d ever want to make his own Ghostbusters movie.
“I think I said, ‘There’d be no busting,’” he recalls with a laugh.
The truth is, he often wondered about making one, too: “I’ve thought about this franchise and it has occupied a piece of my heart for basically as long as I can remember.”

His father will produce the movie. “It will be a passing of the torch both inside and out,” says Ivan, adding that he’s touched his son wanted to join this part of the family business.
“It was a decision he had to come to himself. He worked really hard to be independent and developed a wonderful career on his own. So I was quite surprised when he came to me with Gil and said, ‘I know I’ve been saying for 10 years I’m the last person who should make a Ghostbusters movie, but…I have this idea.’ Literally, I was crying by the end of it, it was so emotional and funny.”

shootemindehead
18-Jan-2019, 12:10 AM
I hear you guys. But as with any older franchise with a built-in fan base, they’re going to use it for SOMETHING. Even though I enjoyed Feig’s remake for certain things, they kinda screwed the pooch by not doing this “legacy” film first. Casual viewers are even more cautious about this IP now...

See, the thing is lad (and I know you love this flick) there is no real "Ghostbusters franchise". It never really existed in the terms that we know it as today, like the MCU, Star Trek or Star Wars. There was a good film, a crappy sequel, a cartoon, a game and some toys and that was kind of it really. But that's not really a franchise, as it were, and why does everything have to be a bloody "franchise" anyway. I'm beginning to hate that word. The answer is money of course, but you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong though, it they can make it work, cool and I'll happily eat my hat if it's any use. But, 'Ghostbusters' was something that sparked a, frankly, ridiculous reaction in 1984 and nothing has come close to reactivating that in over 30 years.

It's just a dead thing really, that some people (hello Sony) are desperately trying to voodoo for money and everyone is just too old now in any case.

It's time to start singing Elsa's song from 'Frozen'.

bassman
18-Jan-2019, 12:40 PM
Franchise might have been a strong word, I see what you’re saying, but my point was more that the GB brand isn’t going away anytime soon, so at the very least this is more of a step in the right direction as compared to Feig’s film. The pieces seem to match(so far), so I’m hoping they can make something that’s worthy of the original.

While GB certainly regained a more nostalgic presence over the last ten years or so, there have always been lots of devoted fans to the IP, much like you’d see with Star Wars. It may not have been as visible to the public as the SW fans, but it was always there. So to me, I suppose it’s always felt like a franchise, even before the more recent surge in popularity. Between films, cartoons, comics, models, games, figures, props, etc.....it’s always FELT like a franchise, IMO. I’ve owned some version of a proton pack for almost my entire life. :lol:

MinionZombie
18-Jan-2019, 04:16 PM
While GB certainly regained a more nostalgic presence over the last ten years or so, there have always been lots of devoted fans to the IP, much like you’d see with Star Wars. It may not have been as visible to the public as the SW fans, but it was always there. So to me, I suppose it’s always felt like a franchise, even before the more recent surge in popularity. Between films, cartoons, comics, models, games, figures, props, etc.....it’s always FELT like a franchise, IMO. I’ve owned some version of a proton pack for almost my entire life. :lol:

^^^

This. Furthermore, the 'no ghost' logo is one of the most recognised symbols across the globe, much like Coca-Cola.

Especially in my childhood, Ghostbusters was my Star Wars. The movies, The Real Ghostbusters cartoon (and further cartoons such as Extreme Ghostbusters), the toys (boy, there were a lot of toys), stickers, the music, comics, the awesome 2009 videogame, further videogames on multiple platforms, indeed there have been GB videogames since the NES generation, arcade machines, pinball machines, and a vast array of branded merchandise - a movie franchise it most certainly is. Just because it's two movies (soon to be three), doesn't mean that it isn't one.

You're not much of a fan of the GB franchise, Shoot, we understand, but just because you aren't, doesn't mean milllllllions of other folks aren't. Ergo - beloved franchise the world over. :D

JDP
19-Jan-2019, 01:15 AM
the awesome 2009 videogame, further videogames on multiple platforms, indeed there have been GB videogames since the NES generation

Actually the first Ghostbusters video game came out in the same year as the movie, made for Activision by the great David Crane (also programmed Pitfall! & Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, among others) and released for a bunch of the personal computers of those times, like the Commodore 64, the Atari 800 and the Spectrum 48K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV6jZ-wDU-U

https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/219141-ghostbusters-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Spent quite a while in my C64 & Speccy playing this thing.

MinionZombie
19-Jan-2019, 10:20 AM
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that one.

shootemindehead
19-Jan-2019, 12:09 PM
You're not much of a fan of the GB franchise, Shoot, we understand, but just because you aren't, doesn't mean milllllllions of other folks aren't. Ergo - beloved franchise the world over. :D

Are there actually "millllllllions" of Ghostbusters fans out there though? Maybe there is. I think the vast majority of people just think of it as an 80's movie, with an awful remake.

I dunno.

Personally, I was quite surprised at all the reaction to the 2016 'Ghostbusters'. While it was a shite film, the thing that struck me were these 40 somethings (mostly Americans) writing on movie fan sites about it. I never really knew that there were "Ghostbusters fans" as it were.

- - - Updated - - -

Franchise might have been a strong word, I see what you’re saying, but my point was more that the GB brand isn’t going away anytime soon, so at the very least this is more of a step in the right direction as compared to Feig’s film. The pieces seem to match(so far), so I’m hoping they can make something that’s worthy of the original.

Oh, it certainly isn't going away if Sony have anything to do with it. They're desperately try to turn it into a "thing". Although, I think if this one sucks, it might disappear for a while.

I suppose over here, Ghostbusters never really took hold like it did with some folk in America. I mean it was huge here in 1984, the year of both 'Ghostbusters' and 'Gremlins', but after that you would have been hard pressed to find anyone talk about it in the same terms that fans of Star Wars or Star Trek would.

bassman
19-Jan-2019, 01:59 PM
Personally, I was quite surprised at all the reaction to the 2016 'Ghostbusters'. While it was a shite film, the thing that struck me were these 40 somethings (mostly Americans) writing on movie fan sites about it. I never really knew that there were "Ghostbusters fans" as it were.

It’s popular enough to cause all the sexist hoopla of the 2016 Feig film, I suppose. That seemed to be everywhere. Very embarrassing that the vocal minority caused such an uproar all over the net. Most GB fans just wanted a good movie.

I do understand where you’re coming from, shoot. Might just be one of those place and time situations. It IS a big fan base though. Funny you said “ghostbusters fans”, actually. Type gbfans.com into your browser. Lots of those places where they discuss it all just like we do here with Romero.

- - - Updated - - -

Jason Reitman tweeted what I found to be an interesting tidbit: the teaser trailer uses practical effects, even for the “Summer 2020” title card, for which they pulled the original 84 font from the Sony Archives. Little details like this only make me more giddy about the possibilities! :hyper:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsyGJijgyH9/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

For the teaser, @mybrokenglasses built a stencil from the original GB84 lettering in the Columbia Pictures archive, then shot it practically with smoke and light! #GB20

MinionZombie
19-Jan-2019, 04:36 PM
I'm baffled by Shoot having such trouble grasping that Ghostbusters has a huge and passionate global fanbase. :confused:

Star Wars and Star Trek aren't quite a fair measure, though, as those are two franchises that are kind of unlike any other franchise out there. They're in a different league entirely. Plus, they've both been around longer, both have far more movies and TV shows to their names, and the breadth of material and merch of all forms linked to the properties are unheard of. The very nature of the universes in which those franchises are set allows for such a wide range of storytelling opportunities. Star Wars changed the path of cinema itself in 1977.

The fandom of Ghostbusters is more subtly weaved into the fabric of our society, but it's no less recognisable.

Bass - hopefully this level of respect and reverance, the love and the joy for Ghostbusters will bleed through into the new movie, but also be handled in a good way (i.e. not bog things down). The remake resembled toddlers chewing on a mint condition collectable.

shootemindehead
20-Jan-2019, 09:07 PM
Not to channel Neil or anything, but...oh dear...

https://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/LeslieJonesGustbustersRebootTweet.jpg

bassman
20-Jan-2019, 09:11 PM
After the pure shit she dealt with from deplorable “fans” over the Feig film, she can say whatever she likes, IMO. That being said, she should probably wait to hear more before getting upset. I imagine there’ll be women involved with this sequel. Feig’s film just didn’t hit like Sony and most fans wanted.

shootemindehead
20-Jan-2019, 09:30 PM
Sure, but that's a silly tweet no matter what universe it's in.

Nothing is known about this film, other than its approval from the original cast. So, her outrage sounds a bit ridiculous. I understand she's not happy that her reboot crashed and burned, but there was no way in the world that that was going to get a sequel. It was, simply, awful and the completely wrong people were involved. They should never have been given the reins in the first place.

Also, I wish celebs would smarten up with this Twitter nonsense. It's such a dumb platform for discourse, because you cannot really say anything of much value in less than 300 characters, and everyone ends up sounding like an arse on it eventually.

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2019, 10:09 AM
After the pure shit she dealt with from deplorable “fans” over the Feig film, she can say whatever she likes, IMO.

That being said, she should probably wait to hear more before getting upset.

I imagine there’ll be women involved with this sequel.

Feig’s film just didn’t hit like Sony and most fans wanted.

1) Or maybe not carry on in a similar fashion?

2) Yup. None of us know who is going to be in the movie, what the story is going to be, or anything like that. The 'rush to Tweet' is a perverse sickness of the digital age.

3) I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case. The remake was a binary coin flip and turned Ghostbusters into a political issue. As long as it's handled properly and not shoved down the viewer's throats, a mixed cast is no problem at all (e.g. the Fast & Furious franchise - mixed cast, but they don't feel the need to ever flag that up or harp on with a preachy lecture - they just get on with making entertaining, hugely successful flicks).

4) Aye. Production budget of $144m, likely a similar amount for all the ruddy advertising, and then a box office take of $229m. It needed to do about $300m to break even. Feig even said in order to "do well" it would have had to make about $500m! Sony themselves (it was a co-finance jobby) lost anything between $25-50m on it, with the total loss being estimated as high as $75m ... ouch! The toys were on sale almost immediately, and the DVD/Blu-Ray price was slashed by at least 50% just days after it was released for various Xmas sales (nothing popular gets slashed prices like that). The movie's reception was mediocre at best and if anything it's reputation is sliding further down over time.

blind2d
21-Jan-2019, 01:04 PM
Sure, but that's a silly tweet no matter what universe it's in.

Nothing is known about this film, other than its approval from the original cast. So, her outrage sounds a bit ridiculous. I understand she's not happy that her reboot crashed and burned, but there was no way in the world that that was going to get a sequel. It was, simply, awful and the completely wrong people were involved. They should never have been given the reins in the first place.

Also, I wish celebs would smarten up with this Twitter nonsense. It's such a dumb platform for discourse, because you cannot really say anything of much value in less than 300 characters, and everyone ends up sounding like an arse on it eventually.

Psst, Shoot... Not sure if you know this, but... Everyone IS an arse.

bassman
22-Jan-2019, 07:34 PM
Feig jumped in, as well...

https://i.ibb.co/c6Fmhb1/Screenshot-2019-01-21-17-56-06.png

- - - Updated - - -

I was just listening to Kevin Smith’s Hollywood Babble-On podcast for this week, and it turns out that he coincidentally interviewed Jason Reitman the day before they went off to film the new GB3 teaser. I can’t remember his exact words, but basically he said Reitman gave him the rundown of what this new sequel will be. Smith got nervous about accidentally spoiling something, so he kinda shut down about it, but before he did he said that fans will be extremely pleased with Reitman’s plans for the film.

Granted, Smith is still a fan and he gets excited easily, but it was nice to hear that his response to it was positive. From the way he was talking about it, I got the impression that all the actors have agreed to return.

EvilNed
23-Jan-2019, 09:06 AM
For me Ghostbusters is nothing more than a one-hit wonder from the 80's. I don't think there's a fandom following like Back to the Future or RoboCop for instance. Hardly anyone talks about it anymore.

I'm with shootem. I think Sony is overestimating the market and interest with this film. You heard it here first folks.

MinionZombie
23-Jan-2019, 10:14 AM
I don't think there's a fandom following like Back to the Future or RoboCop for instance.

What are you smoking, Ned? :D

See, I think this is the thing, you and Shoot aren't really fussed about Ghostbusters, so you're not really paying attention to it - but when you do, you recognise how it's still a beloved franchise. Ghostbusters is totally still considered in the same breath as the likes of Back To The Future.

I'm always seeing glimpses of it here and there, not just it running on various telly channels on the regular, but any time there's a 1980s movie songs show on one of the music channels the GB song always features highly (even providing the intro/outro music for the segments). The sheer amount of debate sparked by the remake in and of itself should be proof enough as to how much interest there still is in the GB franchise.

Hell, there's a Halifax (they're a building society) advert playing on telly in the UK at the moment where they take scenes from the movie and insert their spokesman into it. It's terribly cheesy because I'd rather not see Ghostbusters get sucked into this silly one-upmanship of 'take something popular and beloved from the 1980s and use it to sell some service' ... MoneySupermarket are doing the same thing with their cringe-inducing ad involved Skeletor feeling 'epic' for saving on his car insurance (before launching into a ruddy dance number ... ugh).

Anyway, point being, Ghostbusters was, is, and will continue to be a beloved film and franchise. RoboCop is also a beloved film from the era, but they're very different films - and Ghostbusters is rated PG rather than a full-blown 18, so there's a totally different context for each film to embed itself into the viewers' psyche. Although they do have something in common - they both have shite remakes, although the RoboCop remake was decidedly better than the GB remake, that's for damn sure.

EvilNed
23-Jan-2019, 12:44 PM
Well, maybe I'm wrong. But I think it will underperform at the box office. I just don't think enough people care. We'll see in 2020.

bassman
23-Jan-2019, 03:30 PM
I can understand where Neddy and shoot are coming from. If you’re not really into a certain thing, it might come off as minuscule. We’re a pretty small niche with our Romero trilogy fandom, for example. I personally haven’t gotten into Battlestar Gallactica, so the fandom may seem small to me, but I know it’s out there and chugging along.

As I think I may have mentioned earlier in the thread, it’s probably just a case of being at the right time, place, and age for the IP to grab our imaginations. Come to think of it, it seems to be somewhat strange that myself, MZ, and Trance are big GB fans and regular members of this forum as well. We’re all around the same age, so it may have just been the portion of the 80’s that grabbed us as kids, while it may have just been “okay” to others.

We shall see if the Reitmans’ can pull it off, though. Hoping for the best. I can’t remember if I’ve seen it in a quote or if it’s my own opinion, but this new film DEFINITELY needs a lower budget. Nearly 150 Million dollars was spent on Feig’s remake. That’s more of a huge superhero film budget, GB doesn’t need all that.

MinionZombie
24-Jan-2019, 10:55 AM
Well, maybe I'm wrong. But I think it will underperform at the box office. I just don't think enough people care. We'll see in 2020.

I can’t remember if I’ve seen it in a quote or if it’s my own opinion, but this new film DEFINITELY needs a lower budget. Nearly 150 Million dollars was spent on Feig’s remake. That’s more of a huge superhero film budget, GB doesn’t need all that.

GB is never going to do Star Wars or Star Trek numbers at the box office, let alone anything like Marvel or DC, so further to what bassman was saying - the budget for GB3 needs to be appropriate and the advertising needs to be well targeted. I'd be inclined to agree with bassman about the remake's budget - too damn big for what it was - an unwanted remake of a bona fide classic.

GB 1984 had a budget of $30m which today equates to about $72.5m, so a bit more than double what was spent on the remake. The box office take at the time was $295m, which equates to $712m today. Hefty numbers. GB2 (1989), meanwhile, had a budget of $37m and a box office take of $215m, which today is the equivalent of about $75m and $435m respectively.

I can understand where Neddy and shoot are coming from. If you’re not really into a certain thing, it might come off as minuscule. We’re a pretty small niche with our Romero trilogy fandom, for example. I personally haven’t gotten into Battlestar Gallactica, so the fandom may seem small to me, but I know it’s out there and chugging along.

As I think I may have mentioned earlier in the thread, it’s probably just a case of being at the right time, place, and age for the IP to grab our imaginations. Come to think of it, it seems to be somewhat strange that myself, MZ, and Trance are big GB fans and regular members of this forum as well. We’re all around the same age, so it may have just been the portion of the 80’s that grabbed us as kids, while it may have just been “okay” to others.

Ultimately a good movie is a good movie and quality will always shine no matter how or when someone views it. Naturally, one's own age factors in (the first time I saw JC's The Fog as a teenager I hated it, but just a few years later I loved it), but there's no denying that Ghostbusters was friggin' massive. Heck, the Proton Pack was the must-have Xmas toy the year it came out (I've been told stories about how my folks were ringing round all the toy stores trying to find one, then they got a tip off about a new shipment and my Dad zipped in to grab one ... best Xmas ever!!!) :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw this online ... obviously it's not a flattering picture, shot on-the-sly between takes I'd imagine, but interesting!

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50628518_10218826414481143_2571776316051292160_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=341e2853b6cfa45927ce8ac5e87a0bd6&oe=5CC2E108

bassman
24-Jan-2019, 11:08 AM
^ You’ve been duped, my friend. They haven’t started filming yet, other than the teaser. That image is from the Spike awards around the time Zombieland was released(I forget the exact year). Murray was receiving an award for Zombieland and he borrowed the pack and suit from a local fan.

EDIT: this is it...

b1U6FaoCGUo

Unrelated to the Murray photo, but I just saw this on another forum and it gave me a good chuckle:

https://i.imgflip.com/2rwqz9.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2rwqz9)

MinionZombie
24-Jan-2019, 04:22 PM
haha, damn!

I was thinking in the back of my mind "isn't this a bit quick?" ... ... but then again these movie folk are so bloody secretive about things all the damn time, who the hell knows, but yep, false alarm. :D :o

blind2d
24-Jan-2019, 04:40 PM
Ugh... Listen, I'm a fan of this stuff. Really. Fond childhood memories. But, it's just... so 80's/90's. That's the universe it best exists in. So to remake it now, or do a sequel now... It'd be like making a fourth Back to the Future. Or like a fourth Indiana Jones (Oh fuck they did that... Why did they do that...). No matter who's behind it, it'll feel dated and out-of-place. Let it die. Let's make something new and original, how about? Nostalgia, if mired in too deep, will suffocate us all. And I agree with Leslie Jones, so there. :P

bassman
24-Jan-2019, 04:54 PM
MZ and I both like Indiana Jones 4, so that’s a bad analogy. :lol::p

Seriously though, I totally see what you’re saying and it’s a big concern for a lot of fans. You’re right that it’s extremely hard to resurrect the same product so many years down the road. The 2016 remake is proof of that. It didn’t feel at all like the same type of film. I think it was MZ that brilliantly said it was like watching a toddler chew on a mint condition collectible. This new, direct sequel seems to have more of the “right pieces” in place so far, even this early in the game, so even though I can’t speak for MZ, I do feel like we’re both more optimistic about this new effort. It could totally turn out to be garbage like anything else though, there’s no denying that.

The more I’ve thought about it, not only was Leslie Jones wrong to immediately tweet what she did, but it’s a bit ironic in that she did exactly what the small section of sexist GB “fans” did to her film, in that she immediately judged something based on sex without having seen any footage or even knowing what they plan to do. Don’t get me wrong, as I said earlier in the thread, the poor woman unfortunately had to deal with lowest scum of the Internet back in 2016 and I’ve always been regretful that happened, even though I wasn’t one of those people that took it to a personal or racist place, but she really messed up with that tweet. She came back later with a more reasonable follow-up, but by that point the damage had been done. Done to her employer, no less.

As discussed by a few people earlier in the thread, these people that are in the public eye, “influencers” I think Twitter calls them, really need to learn to think before they tweet. And if they can’t, they should avoid Twitter and social media all together...

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2019, 09:57 AM
'The original films won't cease to exist', they said when the remake was coming ... then the remake bombs ... then GB3 (which is what should have happened in the first place, and what fans really wanted) is announced and Jones acts as if it'll mean that the remake will cease to exist. Oh, the irony. There's also a further lack of self-awareness in that Tweet as she just assumes the cast will be all-male, despite the fact that the cast (or the story, or much of anything else actually) has yet to be announced.

She never deserved the trolling she received, nobody does, but you'd also have thought a lesson or two might have been learned from the whole debacle. :rockbrow:

The remake had dreadful recurring jokes about soup and that mind-numbing 'point at the thing that is currently happening and then literally state what is happening in a loud voice' style of 'joke' that has infected American comedy for some years now. Christ, the extended version even had three ruddy dance sequences in it! The characters didn't have much depth, Kevin the receptionist was beyond asinine as a concept, the huffy attempts to slag off trolls came off as just bratty 'fling your toys out of the pram' moments shoe-horned into the film which ground everything to a screeching halt, the cameo appearances felt more like hostage videos, the story was weak, the remixed song was God-awful, there was a decided lack of solid jokes, and stylistically speaking it was so far removed from the original films. Compare the smart, dry, character-based humour of the originals such as "No human could stack books like this", "Listen? You smell that?", the mortgaging of Ray's childhood home, the litany of things that need fixing on the Ecto-1, Janine in general, the jabs at the cynical machinery of New York politics, etc etc etc ... ... then compare that with the remake where a grown-ass man cannot comprehend glass ... ... ... ... ... *crickets*

Yes, there's always the fear that GB3 could turn out shite. However, there have been late-in-the-day sequels that have done very well - Rambo and Rocky Balboa, for instance (especially the latter of those two) were both superb returns to form (and both Creed movies have also been very well received since Rocky 6). And as Bassman said, me and him are both fans of Indy 4, haha. It may have some flaws, but it's in-keeping with the rest of the franchise and - crucially - the type of material that inspired it (matinee serials in which the daring hero would survive impossible odds). Star Wars: The Force Awakens didn't exactly bomb, did it? Tron Legacy improved on the original in pretty much every way. Clerks 2 was hilarious. Die Hard 4, in the end, has grown on me quite a lot (although Die Hard 5 was garbage). Jurassic World shat all over Jurassic Park 3 and did gangbusters at the box office (after a weak first few days, during which time the media immediately launched into "it's a bomb!" mode before the public deemed otherwise). Mad Max: Fury Road - fucking EPIC brilliance. Toy Story 3 is arguably the best of the series. So, really, there's a lot of recent precedent for belated sequels to turn out great - fingers crossed GB3 will join that list. :thumbsup:

EvilNed
25-Jan-2019, 12:21 PM
Clerks 2 was hilarious.

Stopped reading right there.

bassman
25-Jan-2019, 01:16 PM
the mortgaging of Ray's childhood home.

Speaking of....I wonder if the barn shown in the teaser is on the Stantz’s land? If any of the original crew were to keep the Ecto and equipment, I imagine it’d be Ray. Could be a neat little nod that he’s living on his family land that they took those three mortgages out on. :D

Clerks 2 is indeed not for everyone. I personally enjoy it a lot because of the well written and emotional platonic relationship between Dante and Randall. Some jokes work, while some don’t, but the emotional core of the film is fantastic, IMO.

JDP
25-Jan-2019, 03:11 PM
Yes, there's always the fear that GB3 could turn out shite. However, there have been late-in-the-day sequels that have done very well - Rambo and Rocky Balboa, for instance (especially the latter of those two) were both superb returns to form (and both Creed movies have also been very well received since Rocky 6). And as Bassman said, me and him are both fans of Indy 4, haha. It may have some flaws, but it's in-keeping with the rest of the franchise and - crucially - the type of material that inspired it (matinee serials in which the daring hero would survive impossible odds). Star Wars: The Force Awakens didn't exactly bomb, did it? Tron Legacy improved on the original in pretty much every way. Clerks 2 was hilarious. Die Hard 4, in the end, has grown on me quite a lot (although Die Hard 5 was garbage). Jurassic World shat all over Jurassic Park 3 and did gangbusters at the box office (after a weak first few days, during which time the media immediately launched into "it's a bomb!" mode before the public deemed otherwise). Mad Max: Fury Road - fucking EPIC brilliance. Toy Story 3 is arguably the best of the series. So, really, there's a lot of recent precedent for belated sequels to turn out great - fingers crossed GB3 will join that list. :thumbsup:

The first Tron movie is way better than the insipid wannabe-sequel, which did not even feature such key characters of the original as Dillinger, Lora/Yori, and, even more absurdly, Alan/Tron himself/itself, who are relegated to minimal roles. It is a travesty. It should be disregarded and shunned by any true fan. A real sequel to Tron still hasn't been made, as far as I am concerned.

Mad Max: Fury Road was also nonsense, way inferior to the first three films (Beyond Thunderdome being the weakling in the original trilogy, but still better than Fury Road.) It's nothing but a flashy CGI nonsensical and unrealistic fest. You could believe the world of the first 3 Mad Max films. Not that of Fury Road, though. It should be disregarded and shunned by any true fan. Only 3 Mad Max movies have been made, as far as I am concerned.

bassman
25-Jan-2019, 03:28 PM
It’s always seemed to me that Fury Road was very well received and enjoyed by most. I know I did, I loved it, actually! I don’t think it’s fair to say someone isn’t a “true fan” because of a difference of opinion, either. Whether someone did or did not enjoy a certain entry, that doesn’t make them any less of a fan or invalidate their opinion one way or the other. And while it indeed has CGI for certain enhancements and excessively dangerous stunts, they actually utilized a ton of practical effects and stunts. More than you see in most action sequences these days.

I enjoy all entries of the series, including Thunderdome. It’s basically it’s own, unique beast, and I love it for it! Endlessly quotable, too. :D

blind2d
25-Jan-2019, 03:35 PM
The first Tron movie is way better than the insipid wannabe-sequel, which did not even feature such key characters of the original as Dillinger, Lora/Yori, and, even more absurdly, Alan/Tron himself/itself, who are relegated to minimal roles. It is a travesty. It should be disregarded and shunned by any true fan. A real sequel to Tron still hasn't been made, as far as I am concerned.

Mad Max: Fury Road was also nonsense, way inferior to the first three films (Beyond Thunderdome being the weakling in the original trilogy, but still better than Fury Road.) It's nothing but a flashy CGI nonsensical and unrealistic fest. You could believe the world of the first 3 Mad Max films. Not that of Fury Road, though. It should be disregarded and shunned by any true fan. Only 3 Mad Max movies have been made, as far as I am concerned.

Alright you can get right fucked, JDP. Fury Road was fuckin' brilliant, and way more practical than you're giving it credit for. Did you even watch the making-ofs on the DVD? Now granted, I've not really sat through the other Mad Max films in full, so I can't really compare, but if you think they're better than Fury Road, they must be the best fucking movies of all time. Honestly some of y'all sound like you like older, more male-dominated shit, whether or not that's your intent. I guess Tron Legacy could've been better. I'll say it a third time, let Ghostbusters die and let's do something new. Jurassic World sucked, but so did JP3. And just, no, on Crystal Skull. No.

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2019, 04:12 PM
While Tron has its place in cinematic history from a technical and even cultural standpoint, the sequel had the superior story with a much deeper emotional core which built upon the original and it reflects the shift in time. The original film, enjoyable as it is, is essentially about intellectual property theft. That's what all those computer world fights are ultimately about - a corporate bell end was trying to steal credit for a popular videogame. The sequel delves into much deeper territory.

The bulk of the CGI in Fury Road is deployed to change the backgrounds from flat plains to mountainous regions, or clear weather into wild storms. All the actual action, on the other hand, is practical with only the most dangerous stuff being married via CGI from two-or-more individual (but still practical) shots.

Sucks for you, then. :D

Speaking of....I wonder if the barn shown in the teaser is on the Stantz’s land? If any of the original crew were to keep the Ecto and equipment, I imagine it’d be Ray. Could be a neat little nod that he’s living on his family land that they took those three mortgages out on. :D

That's exactly what I was thinking as soon as the teaser rolled: 'This must be the Stantz farm!' It'd be cool if it was.

And aye, Clerks 2 was really good. It was never going to be in black & white and it wasn't going to be about people in their 20s. That's what the original movie is about. The sequel had to be about these guys in their 30s and change accordingly. Smith himself had changed and evolved as a filmmaker by that point as well, so of course he's not going to just do the exact same thing. I really don't understand some people's beef with Clerks 2. Yeah, surprisingly enough, a movie from an experienced filmmaker in 2005 isn't like the scrappy first-time effort from a very young man in 1994. Who'd'a thunk it? :rolleyes:

JDP
25-Jan-2019, 04:12 PM
Alright you can get right fucked, JDP. Fury Road was fuckin' brilliant, and way more practical than you're giving it credit for. Did you even watch the making-ofs on the DVD? Now granted, I've not really sat through the other Mad Max films in full, so I can't really compare, but if you think they're better than Fury Road, they must be the best fucking movies of all time. Honestly some of y'all sound like you like older, more male-dominated shit, whether or not that's your intent. I guess Tron Legacy could've been better. I'll say it a third time, let Ghostbusters die and let's do something new. Jurassic World sucked, but so did JP3. And just, no, on Crystal Skull. No.

Fury Road was utter nonsense. You would have to be living in an alternate reality, or extremely high, or just a naive kid with little sense of criticism and reality, to really like that junk. Just look at that whole fire-spitting-guitar-guy-on-the-truck utter BULLSHIT, LOL! Fury Road should have been a video game, not a movie. The first 3 films (specially the first two) were way more realistic and believable than that CGI-infested wild fantasy for toddlers who still don't clearly see a sharp distinction between reality and the video games they play. The first 3 movies used nothing but real cars/bikes/trucks & real (and often dangerous) stunts, the way these movies should be made, and thus why they look and feel more realistic. I can believe in the world of the first 3 movies. I sure as fuck can't believe the one in Fury Road!

In conclusion: First 3 Mad Max movies = well-crafted films primarily directed at more mature audiences, Fury Road = wild unrealistic fantasy directed primarily at young and less critical audiences.

bassman
25-Jan-2019, 04:20 PM
Good grief. Opinions can be discussed in a civil manner without resorting to insulting remarks, folks.

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2019, 04:29 PM
The Doof Warrior is inspired by the musicians who lead armies into battle over the centuries, to get the troops revved up on adrenaline and ready to fight. This kind of thing is littered throughout humanity, from the Ride of the Valkyries in Apocalypse Now to the All Blacks' Haka before a rugby game. These rituals/methods have been used throughout history - and been represented in our media - to inspire one side and intimidate the other. So it makes total sense. The Doof Warrior is their version of a drummer leading a marching army into battle.

And, again, the action was done practically: real life, real people, real stunts, real shit smashing together and blowing up.

ent02yItm60

JDP
25-Jan-2019, 04:38 PM
Baloney. The actual movie looks and feels like a video game because CGI was heavily involved. It doesn't look as real and believable as the other movies that were made exclusively the old-fashioned way, no CGI involved anywhere.

Plus musicians in historical armies did not go around making impossible stunts and spitting flames from their instruments. Utter nonsense. That movie was a big pile of "rubbish", as you Brits say.

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2019, 04:40 PM
:rolleyes:

This shtick again? Meh. I'm out.

JDP
25-Jan-2019, 05:01 PM
Oh, and furthermore... No Mel Gibson = NO MAD MAX!

It's like making Death Wish movies without Charles Bronson, or Dirty Harry movies without Clint Eastwood, or Indiana Jones movies without Harrison Ford, or Conan & Terminator movies without Schwarzenegger. It's just not going to pass muster, at least not with the original generations who enjoyed these movies when they came out (yep, I am in this demographic.) All these actors became so embedded into these roles that it's just not possible to envision them without them.

bassman
25-Jan-2019, 05:20 PM
Well, I’m glad we got that Mad Max stuff out of the way now. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic at hand....

I hadn’t included it in this thread because it’s only a rumor and the source can’t be confirmed, but there’s a rumor around the net that the main new characters will be four teenagers. Two male and two female. This hasn’t been mentioned or confirmed by anyone involved, but instead came from someone claiming to be an insider. From what most fans can deduce, the only piece of confirmed information this source stated was the secretive production title they’re working under(Rust City), but that could be easily found by anyone. So at this point, I’m thinking it’s not true and only a clickbait rumor, but we shall see if it’s confirmed by Reitman in the coming months.

EvilNed
25-Jan-2019, 09:08 PM
Just put him on ignore. It's what I do.

JDP
25-Jan-2019, 11:49 PM
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ So claims the guy who absurdly thinks that 28 Days Later "is a perfect example of a zombie movie"

But funny how he actually reads all my posts religiously :elol:

shootemindehead
26-Jan-2019, 09:01 AM
I can understand where Neddy and shoot are coming from. If you’re not really into a certain thing, it might come off as minuscule.

Well, I can't speak for Ned, but when I say that 'Ghostbusters' fandom wasn't a big thing, I am talking about observation outside of myself. In my country, 'Ghostbusters' went through the roof in 1984. But after that it was largely forgotten about, apart from a couple of cheap cartoons on Sky in the mid 80's. When II came out in 1989, it was just dismissed as a poor sequel by most and then the whole thing disappeared really.

So, for nearly 25 years, 'Ghostbusters' wasn't really talked about in any kind of fashion, that other "franchises" were. There were people who played the PC game and were hopelessly wishing for a third film (which most people resigned themselves to never seeing), but there wasn't a massive fanbase by any stretch. Maybe it was different in America, but I can't imagine that it was that different. That's why I sort of found it surprising that all of these people came out of the woodwork when Sony's reboot came out. But, it WAS largely an American thing, which I suppose could be said for most of the online heat that Hollywood movies receive.

It was all quite strange to me.

In any case, if this new one is any use, I'll will be pretty surprised. I think the time has gone. In fact, it's arguable that the time had gone in 1984, because the 1989 film was wide of the mark and essentially killed the whole thing cinematically for over two decades. But, if III works, then coolaboola. Can't say that I'll be holding my breath though.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s always seemed to me that Fury Road was very well received and enjoyed by most. I know I did, I loved it, actually! I don’t think it’s fair to say someone isn’t a “true fan” because of a difference of opinion, either. Whether someone did or did not enjoy a certain entry, that doesn’t make them any less of a fan or invalidate their opinion one way or the other. And while it indeed has CGI for certain enhancements and excessively dangerous stunts, they actually utilized a ton of practical effects and stunts. More than you see in most action sequences these days.

I enjoy all entries of the series, including Thunderdome. It’s basically it’s own, unique beast, and I love it for it! Endlessly quotable, too. :D

Thought Fury Road was pretty good, but I just cannot see it as part of the Mel Gibson Mad Max story TBH. It's an alternative take, as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see some sequels, though, with Hardy, but I think George Miller is getting too old now. So, unless someone else can take over from him and continue what he did with Fury Road, it's probably over.

Always disliked the first movie though. Never did anything for me. 90 minutes long and it feels like 3 hours.

bassman
26-Jan-2019, 11:48 AM
Thought Fury Road was pretty good, but I just cannot see it as part of the Mel Gibson Mad Max story TBH. It's an alternative take, as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see some sequels, though, with Hardy, but I think George Miller is getting too old now. So, unless someone else can take over from him and continue what he did with Fury Road, it's probably over.

I’m surprised we haven’t seen the sequel yet, actually. Miller has said that he has distinct ideas of what he wants to do next with the franchise(perhaps having already written the individual scripts??), he just said he wanted to take some time away after Fury Road, then he’d come back. But as you say....he’s getting up there in the years, so they should start working toward his multiple sequel ideas sooner rather than later. If he doesn’t get around to it, I imagine they’ll eventually try to buy him out of his contract so that they can give someone else the reigns, or give it to someone else after he passes away. Hopefully he has many years left in him, though!

shootemindehead
26-Jan-2019, 12:13 PM
I’m surprised we haven’t seen the sequel yet, actually. Miller has said that he has distinct ideas of what he wants to do next with the franchise(perhaps having already written the individual scripts??), he just said he wanted to take some time away after Fury Road, then he’d come back. But as you say....he’s getting up there in the years, so they should start working toward his multiple sequel ideas sooner rather than later. If he doesn’t get around to it, I imagine they’ll eventually try to buy him out of his contract so that they can give someone else the reigns, or give it to someone else after he passes away. Hopefully he has many years left in him, though!

Aye, that's what I can see happening. I only hope that whoever takes over can keep the quality up.

But, like you, I thought a sequel would have been out by now, to at least to capitalise on the good reception to 'Fury Road'. Also, the longer it's left, the less likely it is that Hardy will be on board, which means that we'll end up another actor switcheroo, and that really puts me off. I was already cold to the idea of a Mad Max film without Gibson, but Hardy was ok for me, so long as I look at it as a separate universe and not a continuation. But, so far, 'Fury Road' looks more like a bit of a bastard child, because it's a singular.

But, yeh, amazing that there's not been another film. Not even the tease of one.

JDP
26-Jan-2019, 01:59 PM

Let's hope that none of these scenarios actually happens and that Fury Road and everything potentially having to do with it is forgotten and shunned as time passes. It is a "bastard child" (indeed, as said further above) that does not deserve any continuation or be considered as "canon". It totally threw the more realistic and believable world of the previous movies out the window and gave us this cartoonish and surreal world instead. The world of Mad Max is not something a la Star Wars, in "a galaxy far away", but supposed to be our own world. The only way that Fury Road could have passed muster would have been if it had been the first movie in the franchise. It would have then established that this is some sort of surreal different world, not ours, where the bizarre and impossible things we see are indeed possible. But with THREE previous movies that already solidly established that this is just our world, where it just happens that things have gone awfully wrong for civilized society, but the laws of physics and everything else are still just the same, Fury Road is a travesty.

bassman
26-Jan-2019, 02:04 PM
*sigh*

We get it, you didn’t like Fury Road. That’s fine, but you don’t have to keep repeating it as if it’s going to change the opinions of those that liked the film. The film did well both critically and financially, so it’s only a matter of time before Miller’s sequel ideas get off the ground. You’d probably do well to make peace with that and move on.

JDP
26-Jan-2019, 02:48 PM
*sigh*

We get it, you didn’t like Fury Road. That’s fine, but you don’t have to keep repeating it as if it’s going to change the opinions of those that liked the film. The film did well both critically and financially, so it’s only a matter of time before Miller’s sequel ideas get off the ground. You’d probably do well to make peace with that and move on.

No, I don't think you really "get it". You think I dislike this movie just for the hell of it. I am actually explaining why it is nonsense and should never have been made in the first place. The whole thing is just Miller & company trying to make some new bucks out of a franchise that had been left back in the 80s (where it belongs) and trying to bring in the... what is it that you yourself said in another thread? ah, yes, the "tweens", into it. In order to cater to this demographic, though, you need to make it more "outrageous". The well-balanced, more realistic & believable world of the original trilogy is not going to be enough for the "tweens". In order to appeal to them we need more outlandish landscapes, not the ones of real Australia, and even bigger weirdos, and if they can do impossible things, even better! Miller's thought process: "How can we draw in the millions of "kwel tweens"??? I know... let's put a musician weirdo on a truck, and whose guitar spits fire like a flame-thrower, and let's also let him do impossible stunts too, like all the other weirdos... HELL YEAH! VERY "KWEL" indeed! Such nonsense will draw the "tweens" in for sure! Screw the more realistic & believable world I built in the original franchise!" Fuck off, Miller! Really.

bassman
26-Jan-2019, 03:09 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/hKNPxrffFH0GY/giphy.gif

In other, on topic news: Deadline is reporting that Sony has placed Reitman’s Ghostbuster sequel with the release date of July 10, 2020.

EDIT:
Jason Reitman has confirmed the release date on Twitter:
https://i.imgur.com/2Dhuo7F.jpg

blind2d
27-Jan-2019, 04:33 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/hKNPxrffFH0GY/giphy.gif

In other, on topic news: Deadline is reporting that Sony has placed Reitman’s Ghostbuster sequel with the release date of July 10, 2020.

EDIT:
Jason Reitman has confirmed the release date on Twitter:
https://i.imgur.com/2Dhuo7F.jpg

Cool, but yikes @ "Threequel". Who the hell thought that sounded good? Seems like something from Bojack Horseman. Now I'm all curious how old JDP is, as I'm 29 and have never seen or cared about Mad Max before Fury Road. Which is the best Mad Max film of course. :P

bassman
27-Jan-2019, 04:41 PM
^ That’s not the title, he’s just using it as a placeholder until they announce the real title, whatever that may be.

EvilNed
27-Jan-2019, 06:04 PM
Fury Road was great. One of the best times I've ever had at the cinema. Not sure how it'll hold up to repeated viewings at home. I have it, but haven't rewatched it.

However I much prefer it to Beyond Thunderdome, which feels a bit too much like a Disney or Spielberg-film.

bassman
27-Jan-2019, 06:48 PM
^ The blu ray is worth having, with stellar video and audio quality. It really looks gorgeous and sounds phenomenal! Not everyone is into special features, but if you are, there are a good chunk of behind the scenes featurettes available. I would’ve preferred a continuous documentary, but they’re split up into seperate titles. All said, it’s probably about two hours worth of video, much of it displaying the extensive work done for the practical stunts and effects.

JDP
27-Jan-2019, 09:45 PM
Cool, but yikes @ "Threequel". Who the hell thought that sounded good? Seems like something from Bojack Horseman. Now I'm all curious how old JDP is, as I'm 29 and have never seen or cared about Mad Max before Fury Road. Which is the best Mad Max film of course. :P

Old enough to have seen all three of them when they were new, and also to easily perceive how much better they all are than that Fury Road bunch of nonsense. The first 3 movies were well-crafted, well-balanced action/drama/fantasy/survival films for adults (Beyond Thunderdome was the first one to want to also appeal to younger audiences, but still not enough to derail the series into a whole new direction.) Puny Road, err, I mean, "Fury Road", is a totally different thing, though, with the "tweens" in mind primarily, thus its ridiculous, outrageous, exaggerated, unrealistic, cartoonish, infantile, over-the-top, hardly believable at all extravagance. It's a totally different world than the three canon films, which take place in a world you can easily believe in; it is in fact just our world, except that various motorized gangs are increasingly becoming more and more restless and difficult to control by the law (which is the subject of the first movie), and then a huge war is the straw that breaks the camel's back, all of civilized society goes to hell in a hand-basket and these various ruthless motorized gangs basically rule "the wasteland" of the aftermath, attacking all those who are not one of them (which is the subject of the second movie, widely considered to be the "masterpiece" of the trilogy), while some isolated pockets of organized "civilized" (more or less) society struggle to try to come back again (which is the subject of the third movie.)

bassman
28-Jan-2019, 12:34 PM
Seeing as this talk of Fury Road has continued for days, I thought I’d dig up the film’s own thread in case we wanted to go deeper into the discussion: https://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=19563&highlight=Fury+road

That covers the film prior to, and after release. Seems more fitting that we continue the discussion over there instead of a Ghostbusters thread that has nothing to do with it. :p

blind2d
29-Jan-2019, 01:51 PM
^ That’s not the title, he’s just using it as a placeholder until they announce the real title, whatever that may be.

I mean I thought that might be the case, but yeah, good to know.

bassman
30-Jan-2019, 04:03 PM
On the latest episode of Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin’s Fatman Beyond(previously Fatman on Batman), Smith once again brings up the fact that he had Jason Reitman at his house recently and managed to pry some info out of him. Smith wouldn’t reveal anything out of respect for the project’s secrecy, but when Bernardin made the comment, (paraphrasing)“I imagine at this point that you don’t announce a direct sequel unless you already have Bill Murray and the originals on board”, Smith gave a silent but very big grin to the audience. So if the direct sequel didn’t basically point to it, now it seems quite certain that Murray is on board.

Smith also went on to say that while he wouldn’t give up any of the information, he does think that Reitman has a homerun on his hands and “will please ALOT of audiences and fans”, both old and new. As I’ve mentioned before, Smith famously gets very excited about all facets of nerdom, but listening to his comments, I do get the feeling that Reitman has landed on a great concept. Very reassuring and exciting for this fan! :D

bassman
31-Jan-2019, 05:57 PM
MZ - I just stumbled onto this video on another forum. As a GB fan since childhood, like myself, I thought you would appreciate this. As well as some others, I imagine.

A dad and two boys visit the Ecto-1A on the set of GB2, and are then escorted onto the museum set where they meet the cast, all of whom stay in character for the kids. I was probably around the kids’ same age when GB2 was released and I would’ve flipped out over this too! It’s heart-warming the way the cast treat the kids - even Murray!

They make it to the cast on-set around the 3:00 mark, before that is just the car.

jfz05qTEWrQ

Adorable! :D

MinionZombie
01-Feb-2019, 10:05 AM
bassman - oh man, I'm so jealous of those little tykes right now!!! :lol:

Aye, like you, I think if I'd been there my mind would have exploded, haha.

Reminds me of a time when I was a kid and I was wandering about town with my Dad and we stumbled across a DeLorean - make up with all the Back to the Future stuff - that was on display in the centre of town in a little pedestrianised zone. I think I must have been about 6 or 7 at the time and it was incredible to see the BTTF car right there (I imagine it would be a hobbyist's recreation). But that sense of childhood wonder is a really special thing. It warms your heart to see those kids talking to the Ghostbusters. :)

bassman
01-Feb-2019, 03:20 PM
^ Ooh, I bet that was a neat thing to see. Of all the regularly referenced “famous cars”, the Delorean Time Machine is the only one I haven’t seen in person before. I’ve seen standard Deloreans, of course, but surprisingly never seen a replica of the BTTF version...

.....Unless I’ve just forgotten. And now I’m second guessing myself. :lol:

It was a bit of an “aww” moment when Harold Ramis walks up to the kids. Still sad knowing he’s gone. He looks like a really caring and loving person the way he interacts with the kids, too.

bassman
03-Feb-2019, 02:57 PM
Production Designer Francois Audouy posted this over the weekend.

http://i68.tinypic.com/29gc3g9.jpg

Looks like production may kick off very soon! So excited! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

bassman
20-Feb-2019, 08:53 PM
Jason Reitman was on Bill Burr’s Monday Morning podcast earlier this week, which is always a great listen BTW, in which they briefly discussed the new film. There’s not really anything new as far as information, but across the Internet people are already calling Reitman a sexist and causing an uproar simply because he said he’s a fan of the films and wants to make a true sequel that will “give it back to the fans”.

I’m sure they knew it before it was announced, but I hope they’re prepared for a never ending barrage of attacks from these idiots. Transcription of the GBIII segments:

1:02:32-1:03:04
Honestly, the crazy thing is we have no time. I--we--so I wrote the film in secret with my writing partner Gil Kenan. We wrote it over the last year while we were finishing up "(The) Front Runner". And we turned it in in December. And I have to admit my presumption was it was going to be any other studio film I heard about where there's years of rewrites and they grind it into the ground and it never happens. I was kind of fully prepared for this year to be a little taking time off and doing rewrites on Ghostbusters and instead the studio read the first draft and said 'Yeah, go make it.'

1:10:52-:1:11:10
This is going to be a love letter to Ghostbusters. I, um, I love this franchise. I grew up watching it. I consider myself the first Ghostbusters fan. I was like 7 years old when that movie came out and, uh, love it and I want to make a movie for my fellow Ghostbusters fans. So it's a 100% love letter.

1:11:12-1:11:56
Like we just did this teaser for it that we launched when we announced it. And even in that we went back to the work files for the sound of the Proton Pack and we went back to the stems of Elmer Bernstein's score. Uh, for just for when it says at the end of the teaser, it's says like Summer 2020. We went back and found the original physical vinyl letters they used to make the Ghostbusters poster in 1984, rescanned them, then, uh, our titles guys reprinted them and we filmed the titles, not like in a computer, we shot physical titles with light and smoke effect because that's how they would have done it back in the say so we are in every way trying to go back to the original technique and make a -- hand the movie back to the fans.

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2019, 09:59 AM
Morons lambasting Reitman with the buzzwords of the Twitter era presumably haven't seen "Tully". :rockbrow:

And still before a cast has been announced! Let alone the start of production, or a trailer or, you know, the release of the actual fuckin' movie. :rolleyes:

Annnnnnyway ... I like the attention to detail, the full blown nerdiness of it all (in the best way possible), such as the thing with the titles and digging into the archives. It makes my heart sing. :thumbsup:

bassman
21-Feb-2019, 03:22 PM
Yeah, it’s ridiculous how they took his comments and turned them into a “sexist” problem. After the uproar came from the podcast, Reitman took to Twitter to clarify and then Paul Feig came to his defense. Very cool of both of them to respect each other and show these idiots that they’re looking to dig up dirt where there isn’t any.

Reitman:

Wo, that came out wrong! I have nothing but admiration for Paul and Leslie and Kate and Melissa and Kristen and the bravery with which they made Ghostbusters 2016. They expanded the universe and made an amazing movie!

Feig’s respectful response:

Jason was a supporter of mine at a time when I couldn’t get movies made. He has always been a true gentleman to me and a supporter of Ghostbusters: Answer the Call. I can’t wait to see his take on the Ghostbusters universe. Big love and respect to you, Jason. Your fan, Paul.

Hopefully this respectful exchange will help to calm the “sexism” waters as the movie progresses. Which, btw, is said to be filming in Calgary, Canada. For interiors, of course. IF the film goes back to New York, which it should because the city is a character in the films, they’ll still do second unit shots of the city, I’m sure.

shootemindehead
21-Feb-2019, 05:35 PM
So sick of Twitter wankers wrecking everything.

One of the worst things on the entire web that stupid site.

Skinrash
21-Feb-2019, 06:51 PM
The Feig movie flopped, so it's not getting a sequel. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with sexism or whatever the crybabies on Shitter claim.

bassman
01-Mar-2019, 11:15 PM
Variety has reported that Finn Wolfhard(Stranger Things, It) and Carrie Coon(Gone Girl, Avengers: Infinity War, The Post) have been cast as a mother and son that reportedly have a “mysterious past connected to the 1984 original”. This hasn’t been officially confirmed, but Jason Reitman did tweet a link to the article with the comment of “I love this plan, I’m excited to be a part of it!”, which is of course a somewhat sarcastic quote from Venkman in the original film, so take that as you will.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/ghostbusters-finn-wolfhard-carrie-coon-stranger-things-1203153292/

Variety says that the Reitman’s were at first weary of casting Wolfhard because of his connection to Ghostbusters through Stranger Things and it’s similarities, but the young actor’s auditions apparently “blew them away”. The kid is a great actor, but I too am a bit weary about this connection.

Very curious to see what this supposed relation to the original film could be, as well...

bassman
30-Mar-2019, 01:11 PM
“Meet the family”

https://twitter.com/JasonReitman/status/1111744073117757441?s=20

I like the idea that he’s casting with serious, dramatic actors. Wolfhard and Grace are some of the best young actors in recent memory.

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2019, 05:12 PM
“Meet the family”

https://twitter.com/JasonReitman/status/1111744073117757441?s=20

I like the idea that he’s casting with serious, dramatic actors. Wolfhard and Grace are some of the best young actors in recent memory.

And Carrie Coon's high calibre, too. She was a high point in the third season of Fargo, albeit somewhat underused in a comparatively 'a bit off the boil' season.

bassman
30-Mar-2019, 08:15 PM
Haven’t seen the Fargo series, so I’m not too familiar with Coon outside of Infinity War and Gone Girl. As you say though, I also hear she’s really quite good. Jason has a knack for those kinds of dramatic roles, so it should hopefully be an interesting character!

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2019, 09:57 AM
Haven’t seen the Fargo series, so I’m not too familiar with Coon outside of Infinity War and Gone Girl. As you say though, I also hear she’s really quite good. Jason has a knack for those kinds of dramatic roles, so it should hopefully be an interesting character!

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten she was in Gone Girl (yep, good there as well).

Fargo is a different story each season, so she's only in season three and the third season is disappointing overall compared to the first two (which were superb), but as I say, Carrie Coon was a decided highlight in that third season.

bassman
28-Apr-2019, 12:10 PM
“Generally you don’t see that kind of behavior in a major industry publication....”

http://i64.tinypic.com/1zgc1s7.jpg

Perhaps this is the family connection?

bassman
09-Jul-2019, 12:47 PM
I’ve always thought he can handle that sort of Ghostbusters-style comedy, so I’m super excited with this cast announcement!

Syces0qwXII

“I slimed myself” :lol:

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2019, 04:19 PM
Rudd's got various subtle shades. He can go 'full Rudd', but he can also change himself up to fit different tones, so I'm hoping he'll slip right into what Ghostbusters' vibe is.

One of the reasons that the 2016 remake didn't work was that it was a totally different tone and vibe, and oftentimes showed off the worst of what current day American comedy has to offer, rather than the best. All those 'point out what is literally happen and state it loudly' non-jokes and the like. Dear-oh-dear.

Anyway! *fingers really crossed* that GB2020 can nail it.

bassman
14-Jul-2019, 01:40 PM
Jason Reitman seems to be having fun with twitter while they’re filming in Calgary...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190713/b18fadd5a1936ffc1561fdbbfe16100c.jpg

MZ.....tell me what stands out to you in that pic?

He also shared a shot of a rusty ecto-1 wheel and gave a neat bit of trivia: they have the original 84 restored car, another for the rust version, and a third that’s cut in half for filming interiors. Looks like there will be lots of Ecto in the movie...

MinionZombie
15-Jul-2019, 09:46 AM
MZ.....tell me what stands out to you in that pic?

Hmmm...

Is it the kid wearing Spengler-like glasses?

bassman
15-Jul-2019, 11:15 AM
Hmmm...

Is it the kid wearing Spengler-like glasses?

:lol: I knew you’d spot that, as well. Spengler’s Grandkids I’m guessing?

MinionZombie
15-Jul-2019, 04:44 PM
:lol: I knew you’d spot that, as well. Spengler’s Grandkids I’m guessing?

That'd be a nice way to still kinda include the character, his lineage coming into it all.

Also - tales of the Ecto-1 ... man, I'd be flipping out if I was on that set! :lol:

bassman
18-Jul-2019, 04:55 PM
Also - tales of the Ecto-1 ... man, I'd be flipping out if I was on that set! :lol:

Indeed! Really wishing I was Canadian right now!

Semi-related, but Universal Studios is featuring Ghostbusters for the Halloween Horror Nights events this year. This trailer is total cheese fan service, but oh man that final shot gives me goosebumps thinking of the possibilities we’re soon to see from the new film!

aosavjDnGaM

MinionZombie
09-Dec-2019, 04:11 PM
ahZFCF--uRY

At last - we have a trailer!

There's always a danger with movies that have main characters who are kids - sometimes it works great (e.g. Home Alone, The Goonies), but other times it sucks. There'll be adult main characters of course (Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon), but this trailer mainly focuses on the kids. Finn Wolfhard has already proven himself in Stranger Things, so there's not really anything to worry about there, but I hope the other child characters work well and don't end up being 'annoying movie kids'.

It's odd to see Ghostbusters not in New York City, that's for sure, although seeing the dusty old Ecto-1 was lovely and how Rudd's character would have been a kid when the events of the first movie were happening.

Hopefully we'll get more info and a wider feel for the movie with a second trailer, but so far I'm cautiously optimistic...

shootemindehead
09-Dec-2019, 09:04 PM
Meh....

bassman
05-Jan-2020, 10:02 AM
As a massive GB fan, I was thrilled to see this trailer, but I have to say that it looks even more like a JASON Reitman film than I expected. Not that it’s a negative mark, Jason has made plenty of great films, I just expected this to go into more of a traditional GB territory. Especially after all the deep cut references(themes, font, etc) he’s included over the last year or so.

A majority of the trailer feels exactly like Jason’s early, heartfelt films. Again, that’s not a bad thing, it’s just not something I was expecting. I suppose I got the impression that he was going to mimic his father’s choices from the original films, which he clearly does in certain shots, but I didn’t really expect he’d make one of his own, self-stamped films using his father's characters, ya know?

It’s kinda strange how much Murray’s “call it luck, call it faith...” comedic line from the first movie turns into a goosebump-inducing thrill through the use of editing.

So yeah, I’m cautiously optimistic, as well. Looks like a lot of the right pieces are in play, so I look forward to what they offer. Even if it doesn’t 100% sync up with the originals, at the very least it should be a nice heart-felt coda for what happened with the guys after the early nineties...

MinionZombie
28-Jan-2020, 04:09 PM
I was listening to the latest episode of SModcast earlier and Kevin Smith was interviewing Finn Wolfhard. Smith asked him about the first trailer and, as I was thinking, we're only seeing a small amount of GB2020 - there's a lot we've not seen yet. I'd imagine the next trailer will have some big reveals.

blind2d
28-Jan-2020, 06:42 PM
I'm definitely passing. Waste of time. We need more original films, dammit.

Moon Knight
29-Jan-2020, 02:39 PM
Ain’t watching the trailers but definitely will check out the movie.

bassman
07-Apr-2021, 01:40 PM
They’re calling this the “mini pufts reveal”.

43CTgfwoa3Y

I’m not certain if it’s all shots from the film, promotional tie in footage, or a combination of both. But that score! Oh man the feels.

MinionZombie
07-Apr-2021, 04:39 PM
Yeah ... is it just an advert tie-in, or is it a scene from the movie, or...?

Might it be a bit too silly if that is indeed from the movie?

Still looking forward to GB3, though.

MinionZombie
27-Jul-2021, 04:34 PM
xaG_5ZZ2PyM

Official Trailer.

Obviously I'm excited, but I'm also quite nervous about it. I dearly hope it's not gonna be all kid-centric, and the notion of a pretty physically small kid operating a Proton Pack just seems really silly to me - the sheer power of it alone would knock them across the room. The guys in the original movie had enough time wrangling those bad boys. Hopefully the CGI won't feel too much or too obvious, either.

Cautiously optimistic. This is high wire stuff Reitman's having to traverse.

Neil
27-Jul-2021, 08:39 PM
Looks OK :)

Sort of a Stranger Things vibe?

beat_truck
28-Jul-2021, 05:08 AM
Some of the kids kind of remind me of the ones in TWD: Millennial Edition... I mean World Beyond.:confused:

Hopefully, it's far better than that shit. And as Minion said, hopefully it's aimed more towards adults than kids, like the original movie was.

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2021, 10:27 AM
Some of the kids kind of remind me of the ones in TWD: Millennial Edition... I mean World Beyond.:confused:

Hopefully, it's far better than that shit. And as Minion said, hopefully it's aimed more towards adults than kids, like the original movie was.

Ghostbusters - the original, of course - plays to everyone, but never 'kidifies' anything or plays down to a kid's level. I adored it as a kid - it was my Star Wars - I was obsessed with it. I loved it as a teen, and I continue to love it to this day as an adult. The funny thing, though, is how many jokes totally went over my head as a kid - e.g. the 'ghost blow job' gag - and then when I watched it when I was about 20, having not seen it in several years, all of a sudden I noticed all these jokes I never got before. :lol:

Ghostbusters 2 definitely had some 'pandering to kids' at certain points, or some winks to The Real Ghostbusters, but it still felt quite close to the original despite that, nor was it just an advertisement for toys or anything like that.

The remake ... ... ... ... ...

So yeah, my fingers have never been crossed so hard for a movie. I dearly hope it works!

Neil
28-Jul-2021, 08:35 PM
Seems we're not alone with the fingers crossed vibe, and the Stranger Things vibe...

z-ORF1h5COg

EvilNed
30-Jul-2021, 09:33 AM
Well everybody loves Paul Rudd so it's got that going for it.

bassman
31-Jul-2021, 10:26 PM
There’s also a trailer commentary/breakdown with Jason Reitman. Lots of interesting tidbits.

They’re still playing this very close to the chest, but I’m 100% sold. Everything they’ve shown feels right and having seen some of the things they have yet to show officially….we’re in for a real treat. I’m keeping expectations in check, but at the same time, it’s obviously going to be a worthy extension of the originals. If it turns out as worthy as it seems, I just hope it does well enough financially to put the franchise back on solid ground.

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2021, 04:34 PM
The Guardian hates it:
https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/ghostbusters-afterlife-review-slimy-stinking-141333193.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BEWARE - SPOILER TERRITORY VIA THAT REVIEW! - SO DON'T READ IT, BASICALLY

They don't outright say it, but any GB fan with a passing awareness will be able to figure out The Guardian's 'coded' sentence regarding something in the movie ... in other words, they're super blunt about it and clearly don't give a shit about any fans who might have wanted to go in as unawares as possible.

"...a slimy, stinking corpse of a sequel..."

Then again, the reviewer also decries it for erasing the bullshit remake from continuity (despite the fact that it didn't have any continuity with GB1 or GB2 anyway!!! :confused: )

Mind you, some of the things referenced do give me pause and worry.

Even the championing of scientific expertise comes off as overreaching and aggrieved, from Grooberson’s declaration that science is “punk” to the smug superiority of the pint-sized Phoebe. The message is clear, as are its intended recipients: there’s nothing more powerful, important or cool than being a nerd.

There’s a disturbing sense of ownership over the past in Reitman’s continuity-building, as if he’s the heir apparent entrusted with sacred texts rather than a guy running roughshod over the memory of a movie still a staple of middle-school sleepovers for its laugh quotient. Perhaps it’s appropriate and telling that the 2021 incarnation of an 80s artifact would be imbued with all the issues most endemic to the current studio release. Here, we can find a damning summary of modern Hollywood’s default mode – a nostalgia object, drained of personality and fitted into a dully palatable mold, custom-made for a fandom that worships everything and respects nothing.

But what's worse? Some arse who has zero respect for the property, or the fans, and just wants to trample all over everything and crowbar in really awkward messaging ... or fan service?

However ... that 'mini Stay Puft monsters in the super market' sequence really gave me a lot of pause ... like a lot.

There's no way it can possibly be as bad as what happened in 2016, but I'm concerned that GB2021 is going to be a long way below the original movies and even the videogame (which was kinda like GB3 anyway).

Neil
12-Oct-2021, 09:33 AM
Other reviews seems to like it... So, hmmm...

MinionZombie
12-Oct-2021, 10:15 AM
Other reviews seems to like it... So, hmmm...

IGN gave it a 9/10.

I don't pay particular heed to either The Guardian or IGN when it comes to reviews, though, so...

bassman
13-Oct-2021, 11:38 AM
If you’re worried about spoilers, you may want to avoid the final trailer that will be dropping soon. It doesn’t directly spoil the plot like a lot of modern trailers, but a GB fan such as MZ can piece together where they’re going with it. There’s currently a bootleg of this trailer making the rounds, so the official release is imminent.

My excitement level is through the roof! Talking to people that were lucky enough to see the movie at NYCC, this is it. This is the one we’ve been waiting 30+ years for, and apparently it delivers.

MinionZombie
13-Oct-2021, 02:55 PM
If you’re worried about spoilers, you may want to avoid the final trailer that will be dropping soon. It doesn’t directly spoil the plot like a lot of modern trailers, but a GB fan such as MZ can piece together where they’re going with it. There’s currently a bootleg of this trailer making the rounds, so the official release is imminent.

My excitement level is through the roof! Talking to people that were lucky enough to see the movie at NYCC, this is it. This is the one we’ve been waiting 30+ years for, and apparently it delivers.

Thanks for the tip to avoid the next trailer. I watched the recent Halloween Kills trailer a bit ago and it just showed waaaaaaaaaaay too much (so I've been forcing myself to forget it ahead of seeing the movie).

I'm either hearing seething condemnation or drooling adoration, and I'm not minded to believe either because the former is just butthurt apologists for the 2016 abomination of cinema, and the latter is just too good to be true.

Let us know what you think, Bassman, when you see the flick. I doubt I'll get to the cinema to see this, so it'll be Billy Blu-Ray all the way again. :p

MinionZombie
08-Nov-2021, 10:03 PM
Y7DWbcxDamc

Latest teaser.

I must say, I've been quite unsure about this one lately ... things like a tweenage girl being able to handle a Proton pack, for instance, just reeks of bullshit (look at how the fully grown men in the original movie struggled to keep them under control in the Hotel sequence with Slimer!), and the mini Stay Pufts just feels a bit too silly and cute ... ... however, this trailer worked for me and warmed my heart.

bassman
19-Nov-2021, 12:08 AM
Gonna try to keep it brief because the movie isn’t really out yet, but MZ….you in particular are in for a treat, my friend. As we’ve talked about before, if GB is your Star Wars, this movie is tailor made for you. It’s an amazing love letter to the fans and franchise.

So in that sense, I’m also biased. I’m not sure how it’s going to play for general audiences, but the new characters are done well. We actually spend the first act getting to know them, with very little GB type stuff, and that pays off. Given the subject matter of the Spengler offspring, it’s not spoiling anything to say that there’s a very high probability that you will shed some tears. We all did.

But yeah, I’m biased so it’s hard to see how normal cinema-goers will respond. I’ve also had a crazy week involving obtaining autographs from all the surviving GB’s(including Murray), Ivan Reitman, Jason Reitman, and McKenna Grace. Been a VERY heavy GB week so I’m on another planet, ATM.

But for you in particular MZ, you need to find a way to see it asap. If it’s spoiled, you’ll be missing out big time. I’ll save my detailed criticisms for later, but overall it’s a fun, humorous adventure film with some truly touching moments. I can’t imagine a better GB3 at this point. A great trilogy capper that Jason Reitman clearly made for the fans.

Neil
19-Nov-2021, 06:43 PM
OK... Watched it this afternoon. I can't think of the last time - if ever - I went to the cinema alone, but I had the day off and thought what the hell.

Some very nice elements to it, which were probably stronger in the first half to the second. There's a sort of Harold Ramis pull on the heart strings thingy going on in the last 5 mins of the film, which after a while felt a tad clumsy and too over used. Should have dialed it down IMHO.

But a good GB (sequel) flick...

MinionZombie
20-Nov-2021, 02:30 PM
I saw Mark Kermode's review - he doesn't like it ... ... but bear in mind that in his review he also said that Ghostbusters (the original 1984 film) was nowhere near as funny as he remembered it being (his co-host even called it "icky"!!!), and he also said that the 2016 film was "funnier" on 2nd viewing and lazily dismissed all criticism of that poorly written, dunderheaded, fan-hating waste of time as just misogyny. *sigh* :rolleyes:

Neil
20-Nov-2021, 03:25 PM
I saw Mark Kermode's review - he doesn't like it ... ... but bear in mind that in his review he also said that Ghostbusters (the original 1984 film) was nowhere near as funny as he remembered it being (his co-host even called it "icky"!!!), and he also said that the 2016 film was "funnier" on 2nd viewing and lazily dismissed all criticism of that poorly written, dunderheaded, fan-hating waste of time as just misogyny. *sigh* :rolleyes:

Well, as I said, the first 1/2 or so is better than the second, and it has some bad points... but plenty enough good ones to make it a worthwhile sequel IMHO.

paranoid101
22-Nov-2021, 04:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMtrjNPcjR0&ab_channel=RedLetterMedia

nice review from the Red Letter Media guys, they sum it up pretty well.

Also Mike calling the movie "Nostalgia bukkake" is pretty funny.

shootemindehead
24-Nov-2021, 09:58 AM
^
Can't say that I'm the least bit surprised by anything in that review. It sums up my suspicions abut this film completely.

I'm continually amazed at this ridiculous effort to keep trying to make a "franchise" out of a film that was really a one and done in 1984.

Neil
24-Nov-2021, 11:59 AM
That review above comes across as trying to be critical to me. Yeh the film has its issues but it has some nice elements in there IMHO. I enjoyed it overall...

U6qPKaGYUaI

MinionZombie
02-Feb-2022, 12:45 PM
Finally got around to seeing this as the Blu-Ray was just released - and I'm just gonna talk freely about it, so spoilers abound below.

As Bassman said earlier in the thread, Ghostbusters is like my Star Wars - in that, so many people talk about Star Wars being this cornerstone of their childhood that just obsessed them as a kid, well, that's how I am about Ghostbusters.

Going into this, therefore, I had an awful lot of trepidation and having now seen it, I'll say this ... fuck me am I relieved!

There was literally only one shit bit that I would have scorched out of the script, which was the line by Lucky in response to Gozer being described as neither he nor she (something like "Wow, that's pretty woke for two thousand years ago") ... it's such a shit line that sticks out like the sorest of sore thumbs and just wasn't needed.

Also, I would have tweaked the scene of Phoebe first using the Proton pack just a bit - had her knocked over upon first firing, then she learns how much physicality she needs to put into it, and then get a blast going. Still, it wasn't too bad that moment, as 'Podcast' states she has her 'feet planted'.

Upon hearing of a character called 'Podcast' I cringed, especially as podcasting characters is almost a cliche at this point it's been done so often in recent years ... however, quite mercifully, the character was actually quite enjoyable and had good chemistry with Phoebe.

Speaking of, for a movie with so many young characters, they actually managed to find actors capable of pulling them off - as well as writing them properly. The kids weren't at all annoying and it never really felt like they were doing really stupid things for stupid reasons, the way certain scenes played out felt fairly organic and kind of like something getting out of hand by accident despite best intentions (e.g. when they chase after Muncher).

One of the other aspects I was concerned about were the Mini Pufts. It seemed too cutesy to me, almost a silly gimmick to play to audiences ... but in the context of the movie it actually works quite well, and it's actually pretty fucked up the stuff that they do to each other. There's so many little details of things that they do, like skewering their chums onto a spike to roast them alive (while one pulls itself along the stick to try and grab it's assailant).

There was a review I read somewhere, possibly in Total Film, where the end credits scene between Peter and Dana was somehow a #MeToo swipe at the original movie, or some such bullshit, but when I saw that scene there was nothing at all in there concerning that. Literally nothing (which is good news), but it just goes to show how fucking delusional some film reviewers can be and how rampantly obsessive identity politics really has poisoned people's world views whereby they can't see anything without twisting it somehow. The whole reason for that scene is to really establish only two things: 1) Peter and Dana are together and are happily married, and 2) Get Sigourney Weaver into the flick.

This leads me onto another thing: there's so many late in the day sequels that come along which love to tear down the beloved characters of the earlier films (e.g. Luke Skywalker), but here in this movie most of the characters are in good places and have lead good lives. Peter and Dana are still together and have been successful in life, Winston has been really successful in life and is supporting Ray who's happily working away in his old Occult Books shop. Even the backstory with Egon, while having some darkness in it, was all for a good cause that was true to his character and pursuit, and then the scenes where his daughter finds out he was still keeping track of her and still loved her was very sweet - indeed, those closing scenes with the orginal 'Busters together again were so nice to see, and it really did bring a tear to my eye when they finally showed Egon's ghost helping Phoebe guide her Proton beam.

They did a great job with Phoebe, a character on the autism spectrum, without making a big deal out of it - it was just who she was and she really did feel like a chip off the old Spengler block.

Speaking of Egon, that whole opening sequence had me hooked - the mystery of it, the energy of it, the subtle glimpses of Egon. A great set-up for the whole flick.

The "Who ya gonna call?" moment in the jail was a bit too wink-wink with the dramatic pause, but it was forgivable, and the final end credits scene was a nice touch between Janine and Winston with that touching little gesture at the very end.

The whole movie felt like it respected the franchise as much as the fans do, and it didn't feel like blatant 'fan service' or 'nostalgia bukkake' to me. It felt pretty organic. The music contained enough beats to tingle the senses, but it also played around with the notes and themes to put them into new places, and arguably a lot of references that tied to the original (e.g. scanning the original optical effects of the 'ghost trails') just works because the plot involves Ivo Shandor and the mine where the metal was mined from to build Dana Barrett's apartment building where the original movie's finale took place. Even if some beats of the climax repeat the events of the first, it felt justified.

It also wasn't just fan service because it was fairly restrained. The movie wasn't chock full of ghosts roaming all over the place (and, for example, there was no Slimer) and it kept a close focus on the characters who were well written and performed. You cared about these people, even though they're new characters, but you felt that connection because it's Egon's family. In lesser hands this material could have been fucked up considerably, but I think GB3 is a testament to a very thoughtful and respectful approach to the film. What they could do, what they should do, and what they shouldn't do.

So, yeah - major relief from me. I really enjoyed it and will be watching it again pretty soon, I reckon.

Neil
02-Feb-2022, 02:45 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. I generally thought it did a good job. The first half felt stronger than the second for me. And I felt they milked the total f*** out of the Egon scene at the end, which should have been trimmed down IMHO, but generally a good fun addition to the franchise...

MinionZombie
02-Feb-2022, 03:15 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. I generally thought it did a good job. The first half felt stronger than the second for me. And I felt they milked the total f*** out of the Egon scene at the end, which should have been trimmed down IMHO, but generally a good fun addition to the franchise...

I was fine with the amount of Egon at the end. They had to give a moment between him and numerous people: 1) the OG 'Busters, 2) the grandson, 3) the granddaughter, and 4) the daughter. You couldn't leave one of those out, even though the grandson is the least of the four by a clear margin, but the other three are all vital scenes to tie up the threads of the story.

I thought it was interesting, and wise, to not have him speak (i.e. by using a voice-alike, or manipulating dialogue from other movies or interviews). There was something simpler and more touching about that, and in some ways something more Egon-like about it.

Considering how much of the movie was 'new' or 'different' to the original two, it still felt remarkably grounded within the world and DNA of the original two. There's a couple of fair comments in the Critical Drinker's overview of the movie, although I wouldn't call Lucky the 'Venkman' of the group by any stretch of the imagination. Her character was almost pointless in a way, beyond giving the grandson more stuff to do and have his own little side story beyond ghost stuff (a teen boy in a strange town - it's gonna be about cars and girls in the end).

One thing - I think they needed a little more in the way of 'stunned/awestruck' reactions at certain times. You've got incontrovertible proof in front of your very eyes of the afterlife and ghosts and yet you seem to be taking it quite well. Sometimes they did get those moments, like Grooberson's reaction to the Terror Dog, and even Phoebe on occasion looked a little blown away by all that was going on at times at least.

The 'Egon lamp' moment skirted close to the line, but ultimately there was something quite sweet about it. There was a bit of humour to it (illuminating the wall of degrees), but there was also heart to it as well. The lamp didn't feel like it was a character, rather something manipulated by a character. I loved the bit with the chessboard as an early sign of communication, too.

MinionZombie
05-Feb-2022, 10:13 PM
Just watched this for the second time in five days and I still love it - phew! :)

On second watch, I did see that Phoebe in particular was more puzzled and even stunned by the paranormal events going on around her than my initial viewing suggested. Indeed, there's also the line about how overstimulation calms her as well, and of course, the film does have to catch up to viewers as well (i.e. you couldn't just keep having everyone be totally bowled-over by all this paranormal stuff going on).

Egon's return in the final once again brought a tear to my eye. I didn't think they milked it at all. Everyone gets their little moment. It could have easily gone on longer, they could have got a voice-alike etc, but they kept it to an appropriate level.

It's very well written, too, especially when you consider the tightrope act that Gil Kenan and Jason Reitman had to pull off. There's so many 'different' elements with this flick compared to the first two, but there's also a lot of familiar stuff, but it's used in a way that provides a new chapter to the story.

Most of all, it's a film that not only respects the material but also respects the fans.