PDA

View Full Version : The Boys (Amazon series)

Neil
25-Jun-2019, 10:25 AM
Looks interesting...

06rueu_fh30

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2019, 04:50 PM
Ooh, looks good.

Supes have been committing atrocities, which keep getting swept under the rug because they are revered by the adoring public. Billy Butcher recruits The Boys who have all been wronged by The Seven, the world’s most notorious superheroes, to bring them down and stop the corruption. Based on the best-selling comics by Garth Ennis, The Boys is a revenge story where the nobodies take on the somebodies.

Sounds good, too.

:thumbsup:

bassman
04-Aug-2019, 03:02 PM
I really enjoyed this series/season! I wasn’t very familiar with the comic, but the best comparison I can make is that it’s Watchmen with dark comedy. Great actors all around, and Karl Urban continues to be my man-crush. :lol:

MinionZombie
04-Aug-2019, 04:10 PM
Glad to hear it's good. :)

I've got the episodes, but I've not got around to them yet (but will do soon).

Neil
08-Aug-2019, 11:51 PM
I really enjoyed this series/season! I wasn’t very familiar with the comic, but the best comparison I can make is that it’s Watchmen with dark comedy. Great actors all around, and Karl Urban continues to be my man-crush. :lol:

I'll be watching this :)

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2019, 10:01 AM
Just finished it last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Some really good casting in the show, too - particularly Antony Starr as Homelander. He can pull off the heroic "all American" look, and then with a subtle change, the cracks appear with that slightly askew sneer and that distant stare.

The show occasionally goes a bit heavy handed here or there in terms of 'hot topics', but by the end it mostly finds some more interesting grey areas to explore:
e.g.
In the wake of being sidelined by Vought for sexual assault, The Deep ends up also being a victim of sexual assault by that fangirl who aggressively probes his gills.

Also, as revealed in the last couple of episodes, the truth about Homelander and Billy Butcher's wife.

I was a little worried at the beginning that The Seven would just be a bunch of one-note arseholes, but it was great to see much more depth being brought to the main players to better round out their characters, and yet at the same time, they've all got different levels of depth.

So yeah - rather good!

Now ... let's see, ah, GLOW's third season starts today. Right! Onto the next binge watch! :lol:

bassman
09-Aug-2019, 12:53 PM
I forgot about the new season of Glow! Got my weekend binge planned out now! :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed the main actor(don’t know his name) in The Boys. In many ways he felt a lot like Bill Hader’s character in Barry. Or maybe that’s just because the dual nature of the roles are similar.

Come to think of it, he even LOOKS similar to Bill Hader. Like Hader and Rain Wilson had a love child. :shifty:

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2019, 04:12 PM
I really enjoyed the main actor(don’t know his name) in The Boys. In many ways he felt a lot like Bill Hader’s character in Barry. Or maybe that’s just because the dual nature of the roles are similar.

Aye, the guy playing Hughie did a great job - again, nailing the different facets of the character's conflicted journey quite deftly, overwhelmed at times but then when he's put into a do or die moment he can step up and save his skin, and on top of that you've also got the fish out of water stuff.

Neil
11-Aug-2019, 08:23 PM
Six episodes in and really enjoying it. Almost can't bring myself to watch the final two now, as I don't want to no doubt be left on a horrible cliff hanger :)

facestabber
03-Apr-2020, 08:05 PM
I am way behind on tv watching but my wife turned me onto this. Freaking fantastic. I absolutely loved this show. Great cast great acting. And my always constant and never waving boyhood crush, Elizabeth Shue was officially replaced by Starlight.

bassman
04-Apr-2020, 11:22 AM
Last I heard, season two was set to premiere summer 2020. We know they have long since finished filming, so maybe there’s a chance we’ll get the new season dropped early for everyone in quarantine? It’s happened for other movies/shows...

MinionZombie
04-Apr-2020, 11:24 AM
Last I heard, season two was set to premiere summer 2020. We know they have long since finished filming, so maybe there’s a chance we’ll get the new season dropped early for everyone in quarantine? It’s happened for other movies/shows...

I wonder what their situation is with post-production, though?

bassman
04-Apr-2020, 11:30 AM
I wonder what their situation is with post-production, though?

Unknown, but they had finished filming before the end of 2019 if I’m not mistaken, so hopefully the edits are locked and they’re working on effects from home, if that’s possible?

I haven’t heard that season two could drop early, it was just an optimistic prediction based on some other shows during these times. We can hope, anyway...

MinionZombie
04-Apr-2020, 04:30 PM
Unknown, but they had finished filming before the end of 2019 if I’m not mistaken, so hopefully the edits are locked and they’re working on effects from home, if that’s possible?

I haven’t heard that season two could drop early, it was just an optimistic prediction based on some other shows during these times. We can hope, anyway...

Hmmm ... there's so much that goes into post-production (apparently one of the main reasons for the season finale delay for TWD is down to visual effects). Not everything can be done from home/remotely, necessarily. I guess it does depend on how far they've got. Maybe they have got it all done, but I wouldn't necessarily think they'd release it earlier. There's going to be a big jumble in release dates for so many things that it's all pretty up-in-the-air right now.

However, it's interesting that some animation projects are still in full work flow. I have a colleague who's working on an animated film right now and they're continuing to hit all their original production targets, but they're working from home instead and using video conferencing and getting temp dialogue tracks recorded via Skype etc direct from the actors' homes (naturally they'd have to re-record them properly in a studio as-and-when).

Some systems won't lend themselves to being taken home (and perhaps insurance even complicates it further?), but other things would be do-able from home, but I doubt there's consistency across the board in a single project's post-production.

Neil
05-Apr-2020, 11:48 AM
I am way behind on tv watching but my wife turned me onto this. Freaking fantastic. I absolutely loved this show. Great cast great acting. And my always constant and never waving boyhood crush, Elizabeth Shue was officially replaced by Starlight.

Yeh... Hope the next season can be as good!

MinionZombie
05-Sep-2020, 09:40 AM
Season 2 has just got started - three episodes released Sept 4th, then one a week thereafter (which is kind of annoying, but you know, the ever spreading and ever continuing Covid effect).

Watched the first episode - really enjoyed it - and looking forward to the next one. :)

2x01 spoiler:
Jennifer Esposito's character didn't last long in this season, did she?!

bassman
04-Oct-2020, 10:09 AM
Season two has held up very well! Looking forward to the finale. Then we’ll likely be waiting quite a while before a third season can be completed...

Moon Knight
04-Oct-2020, 02:01 PM
I love that they didn’t give us every episode at once. Tired of the whole binge watching at once thing. Don’t have to rush through to avoid spoilers.

Season 2 was awesome. Last episode had some weak parts but that ending was freaking crazy.

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2020, 10:12 AM
I love that they didn’t give us every episode at once. Tired of the whole binge watching at once thing. Don’t have to rush through to avoid spoilers.

Season 2 was awesome. Last episode had some weak parts but that ending was freaking crazy.

Binge watching does have it's down sides, doesn't it? I've sometimes found myself doing that, or having to quickly avert my eyes at any mention of a show I'm going to watch but haven't yet started.

Just one more ep (this week) and that's the season done, right?

I've been enjoying it quite a bit - and all these messed-up shades going on inside Homelander's head, man, great performance there.

Tricky
07-Oct-2020, 09:02 AM
Looking forward to watching season 2, I met Karl Urban last year at a sci fi con and he's a cool guy, I'd post the pic but this ol' fossil doesn't like images bigger than a postage stamp :D

MinionZombie
07-Oct-2020, 10:26 AM
Looking forward to watching season 2, I met Karl Urban last year at a sci fi con and he's a cool guy, I'd post the pic but this ol' fossil doesn't like images bigger than a postage stamp :D

It's good stuff. IIRC it's just 8 episodes (#8 goes live on Friday).

Going back to the 'one episode a week' format has been interesting (aside from the first three going live in week one, that is) ... you have the time to digest the story more and also build up some antici ... ... ... pation for the next episode.

Long Way Up (motorcycle travelogue show) is doing the same thing - they put up three episodes week one, and have been doing one episode per week since. I'm a huge fan of Long Way Round/Down (and now Up) and the other Boorman travelogue shows, so I really get pumped up putting on a new episode after a week's wait.

Neil
16-Oct-2020, 11:22 AM
Five episodes in and really enjoying it :)

Neil
18-Oct-2020, 03:51 PM
OK! Damn fun second series...

MinionZombie
18-Oct-2020, 04:12 PM
OK! Damn fun second series...

Yeah! I rather enjoyed it and it bounced along quite nicely. Good twists here and there, intriguing developments etc, and leaves you wanting more.

Some episodes can occasionally feel a smidge long, clocking in as they regularly do at about 60 minutes (you sometimes wonder if certain scenes are written/played longer than they strictly need to be) ... but that's only a vague sort of an issue with it, far outweighed by everything else.

Homelander is performed so well, too ... the complex craziness going on inside that head, hehe.

Neil
19-Oct-2020, 10:12 AM
Didn't quite understand how a super can't be touched by bullets, but a knife in the eye works just fine :)

MinionZombie
19-Oct-2020, 04:01 PM
Didn't quite understand how a super can't be touched by bullets, but a knife in the eye works just fine :)

Maybe they have bullet proof skin ... so eyes are a different matter...?

paranoid101
19-Oct-2020, 04:17 PM
Maybe they have bullet proof skin ... so eyes are a different matter...?

TBH I think Butcher should have gone for other eye with the crowbar when she was strangling his wife.

Awesome series though.

Neil
25-Jan-2022, 08:04 PM
mfmoRAMrQEc

Neil
23-Mar-2022, 02:37 PM
Hope it's as good as the previous two seasons...

2U5I9vsYi4s

MinionZombie
23-Mar-2022, 04:02 PM
Butcher with supe powers? He's gonna fuck some shit up! :eek:

MinionZombie
17-May-2022, 09:27 AM
Ic-W3F65BAw

New trailer.

June 3rd release.

Neil
17-May-2022, 12:33 PM
Hope it can maintain the mojo from the last two...

Is it still following the comic book story?

MinionZombie
17-May-2022, 02:56 PM
Is it still following the comic book story?

No idea really, never read them.

I recall seeing a video (IGN, probably) that looked at a few of the changes. I think, like many adaptations, it's gone in its own directions for certain things, or made tweaks to better suit the format etc.

MinionZombie
05-Jun-2022, 12:27 PM
First three episodes of season three are out now.

Quite enjoyed them. In episode two there's a real nice stab at corporate co-opting of, and pandering to, social causes at a Vought themepark (BLM BLTs, Woke Wok etc). Still plenty of explosively gory and fucked up moments, too.

Looking forward to the next episode come Friday. Off to a good start. :thumbsup:

Neil
03-Jul-2022, 10:03 AM
Herogasm - LOL!

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2022, 09:51 AM
Herogasm - LOL!

The number of lame-ass articles UniLad generated about that episode 'grossing people out' and being so 'shocked' etc did my head in. Clickbait galore. Have they not seen the Internet? There's fucked up shit all over it, so pretty tame by that measure, haha.

I suppose for a TV show, especially nowadays with the terrified aversion to nudity that's creeping in to the landscape in some corners, it was fairly out-there. However, considering the on-screen message at the head of the episode and all the lather whipped up by the media I was kind of expecting something a bit more 'shocking' ... or maybe I'm just inured to it all? :lol: Their version of Ant Man shrinking down to enter another man's urethra before sneezing and returning to normal size, thus exploding the other guy? That was much more 'shocking'. :elol:

Herogasm was still rather good, though.

Neil
04-Jul-2022, 12:43 PM
The number of lame-ass articles UniLad generated about that episode 'grossing people out' and being so 'shocked' etc did my head in. Clickbait galore. Have they not seen the Internet? There's fucked up shit all over it, so pretty tame by that measure, haha.

I suppose for a TV show, especially nowadays with the terrified aversion to nudity that's creeping in to the landscape in some corners, it was fairly out-there. However, considering the on-screen message at the head of the episode and all the lather whipped up by the media I was kind of expecting something a bit more 'shocking' ... or maybe I'm just inured to it all? :lol: Their version of Ant Man shrinking down to enter another man's urethra before sneezing and returning to normal size, thus exploding the other guy? That was much more 'shocking'. :elol:

Herogasm was still rather good, though.

I've not seen any of the internet stuff about it.

It had a number of ewwwwwwwwww moments, and seeing a large 15ft tenticle cock is always has has a bit of an initial shock I find, but it was nothing that wasn't in the realms of what we've seen before for 18 certificate TV :)

Lesson: Never walk into a bathroom unannounced :)

Moon Knight
04-Jul-2022, 01:04 PM
The actual HEROGASM episode was great! Forget the actual “shocking” warnings and whatnot, the episode ruled and NOT because of the controversial bits!

Just one episode left, this season is really great.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2022, 02:59 PM
Season 3 has been really good. S2 was good, but it wasn't quite firing on all cylinders compared to the first season. This latest season, though? It's been really damn good.

Even when 'reflecting our reality', as so many shows are obsessed with doing regardless of execution or suitability, it manages to traverse that pretty well without getting cringey or pandering (plus, ripping the piss out of corporate pandering to identity politics - 'Woke Wok' etc - was hilarious and had some good bite).

And the continued descent of Homelander into unchecked sociopathy has been fascinating and sometimes pretty darn scary.

Also - bonus points for Paul Reiser playing a sleazy version of Stan Lee. :lol:

Neil
12-Jun-2023, 08:45 PM
WoyzCDeuDaY

shootemindehead
13-Jun-2023, 01:17 PM
Started watching this last night. The episodes feel quite long.

Neil
29-Apr-2024, 11:10 AM
A month or so to go...

F9U-yoJbgWs