PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun: Maverick (film)

MinionZombie
19-Jul-2019, 10:07 AM
ade7YuZYk6M

The flight footage looks fantastic!

bassman
19-Jul-2019, 10:17 AM
Those shots of Maverick piloting the jets are indeed fantastic! I haven’t seen anything about it, but with it being Tom Cruise, I imagine it’s all real?

I’m one of the few people here that likes Tony Scott’s original film, so I’ve always had my fingers crossed for this sequel. Looks like a nice continuation with some nice new imagery!

MinionZombie
19-Jul-2019, 04:42 PM
Those shots of Maverick piloting the jets are indeed fantastic! I haven’t seen anything about it, but with it being Tom Cruise, I imagine it’s all real?

I’m one of the few people here that likes Tony Scott’s original film, so I’ve always had my fingers crossed for this sequel. Looks like a nice continuation with some nice new imagery!

Oh yeah, Cruise was talking about filming inside the planes - just as they did for the original movie.

If that was CGI you'd be able to tell. You wouldn't quite be able to put your finger on it, but there's just something uncanny that would spoil it - but in those shots you can just see and feel the g-force, how the plane moves, the weight shifting, the light moving etc ... it's like in the latest Mission: Impossible with that helicopter chase climax, you can just feel the reality of it and it's all the more impressive. :)

I've only seen the original movie a couple of times (and not for a good while now), but I did quite enjoy it.

bassman
19-Jul-2019, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I definitely felt like it was real, but these days it can often be hard to tell. When the plane leaves the carrier and Cruise jolts forward and back again, I was convinced it was real.

Gonna be amazing watching those shots on the big screen!

Neil
19-Jul-2019, 06:19 PM
Cruise seems to like doing thing as close as too real as possible :)

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2019, 10:32 AM
Cruise seems to like doing thing as close as too real as possible :)

I think that was the reason he started producing his own movies, because he wasn't being allowed by other producers to do the stunts he wanted, so with him as producer he could do all these insane stunts for real - which is why the M:I movies took a real leap with the derring-do. :cool:

bassman
20-Jul-2019, 11:55 AM
Can you imagine the extra insurance paperwork that has to be done for Cruise before each film?? It can’t be easy, especially for a guy pushing sixty.

The viewers all benefit from it, though! Even if you’re not a fan of his big actioners these days, you have to give the guy credit: he knows how to make a movie seem like an event!

JDP
20-Jul-2019, 04:12 PM
I think that was the reason he started producing his own movies, because he wasn't being allowed by other producers to do the stunts he wanted, so with him as producer he could do all these insane stunts for real - which is why the M:I movies took a real leap with the derring-do. :cool:

It also maybe, just maybe, has to do with the fact that he is 100% certifiably insane. I mean, the guy actually believes that we all are aliens who were put inside volcanoes and then "vaporized" by nuclear bombs millions of years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJOm2mRHDE0

bassman
20-Jul-2019, 09:05 PM
I know it’s been a joke for years and all, but I don’t see how his religious beliefs could factor into the quality of his work output. Dude knows how to entertain.

Neil
29-Mar-2022, 01:44 PM
...and three years later...

M5tRL0T8gsQ

Neil
20-Apr-2022, 03:14 PM
fDLqpFauhtU

Neil
23-May-2022, 09:26 AM
Watched the original over the weekend. God, I'd forgotten how cheesy (almost painful) some of the story/dialogue was. Some of it hasn't aged well :)

MinionZombie
23-May-2022, 03:03 PM
KMbBh2CxUOw

Neil
24-May-2022, 09:00 AM
God I hate Tom Cruise :)

v1iZtBM23bY

shootemindehead
24-May-2022, 09:41 AM
Watched the original over the weekend. God, I'd forgotten how cheesy (almost painful) some of the story/dialogue was. Some of it hasn't aged well :)

It's absolute shite. It's always been absolute shite.

MinionZombie
24-May-2022, 01:04 PM
Tarantino has a theory that Maverick only starts properly liking McGillis' character after she looks more like one of the guys, playing into the homoerotic nature (accidental or otherwise) of the whole movie.

Neil
24-May-2022, 01:38 PM
Tarantino has a theory that Maverick only starts properly liking McGillis' character after she looks more like one of the guys, playing into the homoerotic nature (accidental or otherwise) of the whole movie.

Homoerotic? Ohh... Should I be embarrassed about watching the volleyball sequence over and over?

MinionZombie
24-May-2022, 02:51 PM
Homoerotic? Ohh... Should I be embarrassed about watching the volleyball sequence over and over?

You might wanna have a conversation with your Mrs. :lol:

Neil
29-May-2022, 09:41 AM
OK! Top Gun 2 is pretty good! It's predictable and cheesy and all the other things you'd expect... But it does it with confidence and self assurance. It's a good flick. Not a great flick... But a good cinema romp!

What has got going for it? Great great practical effects/shots. Strong charasmatic patriotic super star lead that resists trying to downplay (knock) the hero as so many modern writers feel compelled to do - eg: A female ace pilot isn't better than Maverick?. Plays homage to the past well. Jennifer Connelly. And has some suprising strong ideas...

ps: I was expecting the Millenium Falcon to pop up towards the end - You'll see what I mean :)

Neil
31-May-2022, 01:14 PM
SPOILERS!!! Suggest you don't watch this if you haven't seen the film!

Yep! I agree with this!
KEwCne2vnFc

Neil
05-Jun-2022, 04:28 PM
nHqwrHH22dM