PDA

View Full Version : El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

bassman
24-Aug-2019, 11:54 PM
lZKqMVPlDg8

:hyper:

ProfessorChaos
25-Aug-2019, 12:59 AM
Yeah I saw something about this earlier, did not realize there was already a teaser trailer out! Needless to say, as a super fan of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, I will be watching this very minute that it's released! Hopefully once they finish with Better Call Saul and this is over, they give it a rest and don't try to milk it for anything else.

MinionZombie
25-Aug-2019, 10:05 AM
Looking forward to this. I really hope they don't scupper the perfect ending to Breaking Bad with this follow-up movie ... but I have faith in the team. They have consistently crafted superb drama of a level above almost every competitor, so fingers crossed! :)

EvilNed
25-Aug-2019, 10:38 AM
Day 1 watch from me.

btw, I've never watched Saul. I want to feel the story move forward, so I'm not really into prequels.

I'm sure it's great, but I know I wouldn't invest in it.

shootemindehead
25-Aug-2019, 03:46 PM
'Better Call Saul' I find is even better than 'Breaking Bad'.

On this thing though, I've really no interest in a story about Jessie Pinkman. I really hated him.

MinionZombie
25-Aug-2019, 04:12 PM
Yeah, Better Call Saul is great. I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than BB, but it's certainly equal (albeit in a slightly different, but familiar, way).

We've had four seasons and so surely they'll be getting close to wrapping it up. When that happens I'll re-watch all of BB again.

Better Call Saul gives some glimpses into the characters post-BB life, although I'd like a bit more than what we get, but it has been surprisingly effective in showing this very different version of the man and how he has slid further and further downhill towards "Saul".

Moon Knight
28-Aug-2019, 04:38 AM
Is that Skinny Pete? lol

ProfessorChaos
28-Aug-2019, 05:35 AM
Church

kidgloves
28-Aug-2019, 10:16 AM
I'm in the why? camp.
Unnecessary and I didn't like Jessie either

bassman
28-Aug-2019, 11:38 AM
I used to be in the why camp regarding Breaking Bad spinoffs....

But then I saw Better Call Saul. No more why camp. I trust Gilligan at this point.

New Breaking Bad?? “Tight tight TIGHT!”

ProfessorChaos
24-Sep-2019, 11:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JLUn2DFW4w

damn is it october 11th yet? really digging how they aren't giving away much at all in these trailers and teasers, just lots of tension and nods to the original series (the salvage yard, jesse letting the bug crawl across his hand, the photo of andrea and brock).

the wife and i really wanted to go see this on the big screen, as it's showing in something like 68 cities across the US, but the nearest place is over 2 hours away and it'd be quite the hassle, let alone having to find someone to watch our 2-month old and 3-year old for the evening.

so, rest assured, our asses will be planted on the couch that evening to catch this ASAP. hard to believe it's been six years since the show ended already. very interested to see how things turn out for jesse!

MinionZombie
25-Sep-2019, 10:07 AM
Likewise, I'll be there plonked in front of Netflix to check this out! :hyper:

EvilNed
11-Oct-2019, 10:54 PM
Well, it's out and I watched it. Loved it! A better finale to the series than the series finale, actually. Although this is Jesse's story, which probably doesn't come as a surprise after all the PR.

Some great scenes. Memorable. Fits right in with the rest of BB. Feels so seamless with the series proper.

bassman
12-Oct-2019, 09:04 AM
I also enjoyed it! It’s not truly necessary, but for fans of the show, it’s a great little epilogue to see where Pinkman ended up.

As soon as I finished the movie, I heard the news that Robert Forrester had passed. The guy was still killing it, right up to the end.

MinionZombie
12-Oct-2019, 10:36 AM
Awww, what, Robert Forster has died? Damn. :( RIP, Mr Forster.

As for El Camino - loved it. It felt like an extended episode of the show, as has been said, because it felt so seamless (well, the odd noticeable difference aside in the flashbacks). It was also nice to see a bit of the old Jesse in there as well (in the vacuum store), so it had a bit of levity at times. Great to see so many returning characters either in flashback or present day, and it tied everything up well.

As bass says, not strictly "necessary", but I'm really glad that it was made and it does provide a last bit of closure. I enjoyed it a lot.

Creepiest part of it? Todd's psychopathy (and sociopathy, even) ... Plemons absolutely nails that (as does the script!).

ProfessorChaos
13-Oct-2019, 01:15 AM
add me to the list of those who were very pleased with el camino. i thought it was a bit slower-paced at times than i anticipated, but picked up at the end when it really had to. i was also glad to see so many familiar faces whether from the current time setting or the numerous flashbacks. it did seems to have a slightly different vibe from the main series or better call saul, but given how much they had to incorporate the flashbacks in to tell the story, it was all good in my book.

very eye-opening to see how awful things were for jesse while he was held captive, as the main series mainly stuck with walt after everything went down in the desert so it was interesting to see just how bad uncle jack's gang fucked with poor jesse. i felt el camino was a very satisfying and fitting end to his tale, hopefully the character finds peace and moves on with his new life in alaska.

the only thing that took me out of it was the amount of weight some of the actors have gained since breaking bad ended, sort of breaks up the continuity if you know what i mean. and i really think they could have found a better title since jesse essentially ditched the el camino within hours of leaving jack's compound.

now i hope we get two more stellar seasons of better call saul and they have some resolution for saul, as the glimpses of saul's current life as gene seem to be building towards some sort of a climax or something happening to allow his past to catch up with him or him to make peace with it at least. after that, i really hope they leave the breaking bad universe and let it be.

bassman
13-Oct-2019, 03:35 AM
I’d also thought about the title car being ditched fairly early on, but given the final flashback with Jane telling Jesse to make his own path, El Camino meaning “the way”, and Jesse once again hitting the road, this time in Alaska and with a smile on his face, I assumed the title was meant to have a deeper meaning?

ProfessorChaos
13-Oct-2019, 04:43 AM
^

huh. never knew that's what "el camino" meant. makes perfect sense now, disregard what i said earlier. thanks for the insight, bass!

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2019, 05:27 PM
iU8SgjZRPxA

Some behind the scenes stuff. :)