PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Sid Haig

MinionZombie
23-Sep-2019, 04:24 PM
Sid Haig - perhaps best known as Captain Spaulding from "House of 1,000 Corpses" and "The Devil's Rejects", but also numerous classic 70s exploitation movies like "Coffy", "Foxy Brown", "Savage Sisters", "Black Mama White Mama", "The Big Doll House" and "The Big Bird Cage", as well as numerous other movies like "Bone Tomahawk", "Hatchet III", "Halloween (2007)", "Jackie Brown", "Galaxy of Terror", "THX-1138", and a whole host of television appearances including "Mission: Impossible", "The A-Team", and "The Fall Guy" - passed away on Saturday the 21st.

We'll get to see him play Captain Spaulding one last time in "3 From Hell", although unfortunately his role had to be minimised due to his poor health at the time - but they sneaked him on-set for one last blast as the killer clown, thankfully.

Here's a little taste of Spaulding's introduction in "House of 1,000 Corpses".

V82hFRJcrj0

Neil
23-Sep-2019, 08:19 PM
We're getting to that distance away from all these films now aren't we :(

blind2d
23-Sep-2019, 08:35 PM
I've always loved anything he was in, or at least his performances. Will truly be missed.

Moon Knight
23-Sep-2019, 08:44 PM
I was so mad I got to the theatre late for 3 From Hell. This dude was cool af. What a presence.

Was an instant fan once I saw Captain Spaulding.

RIP, Captain.

shootemindehead
23-Sep-2019, 09:52 PM
Captain Spaulding me arse.

This is the real Sid Haig

https://66.media.tumblr.com/b2d5497a765b42217cbeb75c5a94dfa5/tumblr_p1u549DKA51r3vivho1_400.jpg

JDP
24-Sep-2019, 04:36 AM
This dude was even in the old Batman TV show, he was King Tut's Apothecary

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNGQ3NzEwNDQtNzRkYy00ZmRiLWE5OTktNTNhMTUzMzIwNT dkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxMjk0Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Moon Knight
24-Sep-2019, 05:29 AM
Captain Spaulding was awesome. Gave the man a Resurrection and more work. He loved and appreciated the role.

MinionZombie
24-Sep-2019, 10:22 AM
Neil - yeah, sadly for us genre fans, I think the next few years are going to be rough as so many of our icons are in their twilight years. However, we will always have their work to remember them by, and they'll be able to continue having their work appreciated and enjoyed for generations to come.

Captain Spaulding was awesome. Gave the man a Resurrection and more work. He loved and appreciated the role.

Aye, I was reading that he was so pleasantly surprised to get a new lease of life on his career at the age of 60. He thought he'd retired from the biz, but Captain Spaulding produced another 20 years of work and brought him to a whole new audience's appreciation.

Seems like he was a genuinely good dude, too.

Once you get to recognise an actor such as Sid Haig, everytime you watch something and suddenly they pop up on screen it brings a big smile to your face.

Moon Knight
25-Sep-2019, 04:39 AM
Neil - yeah, sadly for us genre fans, I think the next few years are going to be rough as so many of our icons are in their twilight years. However, we will always have their work to remember them by, and they'll be able to continue having their work appreciated and enjoyed for generations to come.

Aye, I was reading that he was so pleasantly surprised to get a new lease of life on his career at the age of 60. He thought he'd retired from the biz, but Captain Spaulding produced another 20 years of work and brought him to a whole new audience's appreciation.

Seems like he was a genuinely good dude, too.

Once you get to recognise an actor such as Sid Haig, everytime you watch something and suddenly they pop up on screen it brings a big smile to your face.

He was for sure a character actor. He'll be missed.

Adrenochrome
27-Sep-2019, 04:06 PM
Sad news. He will definitely be missed. RIP Sid.

bassman
29-Sep-2019, 10:28 AM
Tootie-f*ckin-Fruitie. :(

Adrenochrome
13-Dec-2019, 07:10 PM
Just watched 3 From Hell and wow did he look bad in that. Hard to watch

MinionZombie
14-Dec-2019, 10:15 AM
Just watched 3 From Hell and wow did he look bad in that. Hard to watch

It was amazing they even managed to get that little bit filmed - the insurance company covering the film didn't want to insure Haig on-set, so they literally had to sneak him in for a couple of hours to get the wrap-up stuff with Spaulding.

A real shame. However, it's interesting to watch the film as you can see some echoes of Spaulding in the character of Foxy, who was written in to replace Spaulding.

Moon Knight
17-Dec-2019, 03:48 AM
It was amazing they even managed to get that little bit filmed - the insurance company covering the film didn't want to insure Haig on-set, so they literally had to sneak him in for a couple of hours to get the wrap-up stuff with Spaulding.

A real shame. However, it's interesting to watch the film as you can see some echoes of Spaulding in the character of Foxy, who was written in to replace Spaulding.

I got to the theater late and totally missed Sid Haig’s part. Was waiting for him the whole movie.

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2019, 10:09 AM
I got to the theater late and totally missed Sid Haig’s part. Was waiting for him the whole movie.

Dang.

Have you been able to re-watch the movie yet?

Moon Knight
17-Dec-2019, 04:20 PM
Dang.

Have you been able to re-watch the movie yet?

Not yet. My console isn’t working so didn’t bother getting the disc yet. I believe Shudder is streaming it early next year?